DISCORD TAG: Eli<3#9347

PREVIOUS BANS:
None

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
Yes, I do.

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
Shrine Maiden

DISCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am very active, normally from the times 11am-3am EST.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGON?

The knowledge of Shintoism I have is, for starters, the definition of Shintoism. Shintoism; a religion which originated in Japan, classified as an East Asian religion by scholars of religion, its practitioners often regard it as Japan’s indigenous religion and as a nature religion. The essence of Shintoism is the Japanese devotion to spiritual beings and powers(which are called Kami’s)to shrines, and to various rituals. It’s a very local religion, which devotees are likely to be concerned with their local shrine rather than the religion being a whole. Shinto’s believe a majority of things should be looked at with a positive and bright attitude, so looking at death they believe it is considered dark and negative. Old traditions describe death as a dark, underground realm with a river separating the alive from the dead. The core teaching of Shintoism is teaching human beings they are fundamentally good but can be made to do bad things by said evil spirits, these spirits exist in trees, animals, mountains, rivers, human creations such as cups or musical instruments, and even in people. Within Shinto religion, the spiritual powers are called Kami’s. Shinto’s have 4 affirmations. One, being tradition and family, two being love of nature, three being physical cleanliness, and four being matsuri. Matsuri is a festival in which worship and honor is given to the Kami.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

What makes me stand out for this role over other applicants would be a few reasons. For one, I am extremely active. I also have been practicing detailrp and I believe I am slowly getting better by the amount of time I am spending to roleplay.

I am very motivated to stay around the shrine as much as I can, putting aside other aspects when needed. With being very active for a long period of time I can spend even more time than normally needed at the shrine. Lately I have been spending a fair amount of time at the shrine, exploring and taking notes of what I believe is important. During my time period of being online I can help fellow players when they come to the shrine and show them around by giving them a tour, or just genuinely being around for them to ask any questions they have.

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:
Eli Eden Ishimoto Saito

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I’ve visited the Monastery multiple times, it is a very gorgeous place. I highly enjoy going there and looking at all of the cool buildings and spots in the Monastery, mainly to study it. I have taken notes on the agricultural features and small details about the Monastery, and I believe it would be an enjoyable experience to work there.

TELL ME WHAT HISTOY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONSATERY:

The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery building began in the eighth century, June 6th of 744, and it was finished in the winter season of 762. Initially, it was established for Buddhists, later in the 9th century Buddhism and Shintoism were merged. Buddhism continued to rule over Shintoism, but by the 18th century Shintoism had established itself to be the monastery’s primary religion after Buddhism lost interest. One of the monastery’s priests despised the idea that people forgot about the religion. Leading him to set the monastery on fire. All of the gods had departed, but one single god itself. The Yama-no-Kami’s original shrine stood above the rest of the burnt shrines. It’s told that the god was so enraged by the loneliness and the fact that the shrine was just left, that it wreaked chaos on the town.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:

Born January 19th, 1994. Eli was born into a very small family, where it was only her mother, her dad, and herself. She was an only child, so much of her parents attention was focused on her, or so you would think. Eli’s father was extremely busy with work, and he was only home for dinner and to wake her up. Her mother, on the other hand, wasn’t the best influence. Eli’s mother would always come home wasted, saying that she went out with ‘friends’ when really she went out to see other dudes. As Eli grew older she spent most of her time at parks, or shrines around Japan. She quite enjoyed the scenery, it was always beautiful no matter what the weather was. If she wasn’t at a park, or a shrine, she was at home cooking, cleaning, or taking care of herself. She always brought a book with her wherever she went, taking notes of what she thought was important, and or interesting. At the shrine, she wrote down the steps of entering the shrine, making sure she didn’t disrespect the place as she entered. By the age of 12, her mother had completely left her. It didn’t phase her, seeing as she wasn’t as close to her mother as she was to the people at the Shrine she had been visiting. On a beautiful summer day, her father came home with an envelope. Inside said envelope was a letter and some yen. Eli was told to go back, as she was being sent away to a different school, no, a whole different island. On said island, was a city called Karakura, where she would be studying all sorts of things. Although, half the reason she was being sent there…was because of the shrine there. The shrine members of the previous shrine she had been visiting and worshiping at, had sent her to Karakura to study Shintoism. As she aged she learned a lot about the place. She explored quite a bit, and she adventured as far as she could in the city. She wrote down notes of every place she could, one of them being the shrine. Like the old shrine she studied, she was very interested in this one. She did most of the things at the old one, at this one. Eli loved this shrine, she loved the sauna with how relaxing it was. The trees were beautiful in the shrine, along with the main shrine and it’s architecture. She studied everything about the shrine that she could. The history, the architecture, the meanings, etc. She decided she wanted to be a Maiden, Eli wanted to feel even more at home and help others who visited the shrine.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:

Dear Monastery lead,

Hello, I hope you are having a lovely day as you read this letter. I have thought long, and hard as to know what I want to be, which would be a Maiden if you will. I have touched a point in myself where I believe this would be a lovely experience to have within becoming a Shinsei Seinaru Maiden, and or Miko. Shintoism has peaked my interest, and has me studying, as well as looking up to the Monastery overall. I would like to help pass around the positive, bright attitude to others who visit the monastery, and let them share a connection with a Kami as I do.

I hope you consider this letter, as I would like to give people opportunities that they would’ve never been offered before and leave a positive impact on their lives. I would also love to learn more in the meantime of staying in Karakura. I hope you would like to consider this letter, and I appreciate the time you have taken to read this letter.

Sincerely,
Eli Eden Ishimoto Saito.

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the Shrine?

As the shrine was approached, it would be expected that positive attitude and respect would be shown to the shrine. The first step you would do is cleanse your hands. Next, you proceed to the pillar and bow showing respect. Then walk to the left, showing gratitude.

How are rituals to a Kami preformed?

Rituals to a Kami are performed by, for one, visiting the shrine. Visiting the shrine is an essential part of performing said ritual. Then, proceed by purification. Purification can be done by cleansing your hands, and sometimes in some cases your face, body, and changing clothes. Another step is to recite prayers. When reciting prayers it is so you remember all that said Kami has done for you. Also to receive forgiveness for our sins, and to lift us up as a living sacrifice. Lastly, when you are introducing a new friend to a Kami, you must bow twice, clap twice, remain in the position, recite a prayer then state what the friends name is and where they live.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?

The job of a Shinto is to keep an optimistic faith, humans are thought to be fundamentally good, although evil is normally caused by evil spirits. Most purposes of a Shinto is to keep away evil spirits with purification, prayers, and offerings towards the Kami. Then the job of a Priest is to ensure the continuance of a satisfying relationship between the Kami and worshiper through offerings, evocation of the Kami, and mediation of the deity's blessing to the Kami. The shrine maiden's job is an institutionalized role in daily life trained to perform tasks, ranging from sacred cleansing to performing the sacred dance. Also known as a Miko.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:

To proceed with a rite of passage for a child, the parents of said child must follow the requirements. The requirements are, boys should be at least 31 months of age, whilst girls must be 33 months of age. The parents shall return once the date has arrived, the Priest and or Miko must bless the kid and wish them good health and happiness through their life. Then move on to the miyamairi rite, which is where the Priest or Miko would say the baby's name, and then the names of the parents and other family members' names, the baby's address, and lastly the day of birth all within one prayer. Parents and family members must walk up to the altar and bow one person at a time, as they give tamagotchis as an offering, which is also known as a branch from a sakaki-tree which would be decorated with silk and or cotton.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:

Shintoism, a Japanese religious belief that is practiced throughout the country. Shinto has the meaning of “The way of Kami”, which is a religion where people believe in Kami, or gods. I would state the rules of Shintoism before proceeding. Kami’s are spiritual creatures such as mountains, rivers, trees, and other natural beings, which due to their divinity become objects of devotion and respect. Religion comprises Japanese beliefs, rituals, and other practices that add into the development of a pure soul. There are various Kami, including ones who reside at the shrine, Yama-no-Kami, and how to properly show respect to Kami’s and how to execute the Yama-no-Kami ritual.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?

Based on my character, she would worship the Yama-no-Kami. She very much enjoys how it stayed strong throughout the history of the Monastery.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already, go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Maiden role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread