IN-GAME NAME (IGN)
:

Sharktism

DISCORD NAME & TAG:

autisticshark

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

America, CST

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

Yes, I do have a working and fully functional microphone that I am comfortable with the usage of if needed.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

My activity is pretty much a 9/10 as I am generally a pretty active person on the server, Usually spending around 6+ hours online a day, Mostly spending my time online in the darkest hours of the CST time zone. Although I spend more time at night, I do spend a few hours online in the morning. Whether it's actively roleplaying or not, I would consider myself a pretty active player. If my activity were to decrease at anytime it wouldn't be for long and would be made up for by extra dedicated time spent on the server. As for general char roleplaying I try and give all of my chars a long period of roleplay time instead of dedicating all my time to a specific char like most would appear to do. And for the days of my activity I am homeschooled, Meaning I can provide as many hours as needed to working on and for the server. Of course, Like any human being I do have certain things that come up but It wouldn't affect my activity for the most part. And if It were, Like stated previously it would be handled accordingly.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

Although I don’t have too much in depth knowledge on Shintoism as it is not my religion and I have only just started studying it before actually applying; I know it is deeply connected and rooted within Japanese culture and as of now, I am fully interested and dedicated to learning more about the religion than I already know now upon studying. I know Shinto meaning the way of the gods or the way of the divine as it is said commonly. And that Shintoism is based on the belief that everything in the world both living, and nonliving, has a spirit or Kami that is deserving of respect or worship. Kami means spirit or god but it can go much farther than that. It is believed that the Kami created earth itself and everything in it. It is based on traditions, rituals, and myths. The term Kami can also refer to impersonal divine forces, A Kami can be the spirit of a natural feature such as a river or mountain, A natural force like wind, thunder or fire. (For example, The god of water named Suijin.) Kami can also inhabit sacred man-made objects such as mirrors, swords or Magatama. (Prehistoric man-made objects.) And even certain humans can become Kami after death. It is also sometimes said there are around 8 million Kami, A countless amount (Used frequently by people if you ask how many, As its just an overall number since there's countless amounts of Kami) however Kami is very different from the concept of gods and other religions. Shinto does not distinguish between a natural and supernatural reality that is split between the realm we can see, and what we can't. Kami’s aren't necessarily good or evil and they even have their own set of personalities. On the other hand they have full capability to punish humans with sickness, evil, or natural disasters hence some of the rituals that people who study Shintoism or find interest in Shintoism might do.

Along with the Kami, There's the Yokai which is overall just demons, such as monsters and shapeshifters of all types, They pop up often in Japanese mythology. (My personal fav which is the Tōfu-kozō. Which is a Yokai that overall bugs you with tofu on a little platter, With a fat baby head!) Other than this, I do know the overall beginning of Shintoism and the Shintoism beliefs they have on the creation of human kind. (Izanagi & Izanami, If I were to explain it here. This app would be fairly long but its the first generation of Kami that created the land and the people itself.) As well as some of the gods names that I couldn’t be able to remember up on the spot as there's a ton and I just recently started taking interest in this. And as shown further into this application, I do know the basics of the Shinto shrines such as the overall Shrine manners, Shrine information (Out of SRP I know the basics of the Monastery, But Acknowledge that I do need to learn more.) and so on. Like I stated previously, I know Shintoism can go further than that and there's much more than I could explain here but choose not to as I know I will miss and or get some details mixed up. But that is what I have currently learned from just simply studying the Shintoism religion back and forth for the past couple of days. Now as most know the internet itself doesn't provide full proof information and studying solely by yourself using videos and google pages dedicated to Shintoism most likely won't provide you full intel; So due to this, I deem myself fully prepared and willing to learn more about the religion via the help and acknowledgement of the shrine staff.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I don’t like comparing myself over other applicants and think we all have our own reasons for applying and our dedication we are willing to put towards something like this I would say I am a pretty dedicated person when it comes to learning things like these. I won’t hesitate to help out and learn more than I already know so far. Along with that also includes my activity and the time and willpower I am willing to submit into this as well as various study sessions for the Shintoism belief, Even if it's just for a Minecraft server it truly catches my utmost interest. And before applying, I think the fact I took time to engage myself in a long work session on studying for Shintoism such as watching many videos and writing on the Shintoism religion, As well as going to my peers for further knowledge about it speaks volumes on how I stand out from other applicants.

So far my dedication and knowledge I'm willing to put towards this truly is what makes me stand out for this role. Whether I get accepted for the Priest role or not I know I would put this information to good use, Both ICLY and OOCLY. I have looked over a few of the other applicants applications and think they are marvelous, So I definitely wouldn't compare my own stand outness to theirs or to any others but I know there's a broad amount of things that make me stand out over any of the other applicants to a certain degree. Along with this is my dedication for all roleplay types, This involves writing to a certain degree such as Detail-RP and so on. I enjoy writing and roleplay to an extended amount as most people who play SRP do, Making me stand out the most is my knowledge in many things roleplay wise about this server and what I continue learning as I strive further into the community itself. Such as how to properly do certain roleplays such as WorkRP, FamilyRP, CriminalRP, RomanceRP, and so on; While also being able to dedicate countless hours to the server.

So to put it short, I am a quick and diligent learner and what truly makes me stand out from other applicants is my sheer dedication I have for this role. And what I'm willing to learn for it which I know I have the full capacity to do so. This includes my overall enthusiastic ability to learn more about Shintoism as again I think this would be a good opportunity for me to grow and learn more about the religion and those in it both ICLY and OOCLY as well as hopefully teach others about it in both SRP and Real life time, Spreading my knowledge to endless amounts.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Yes, I do acknowledge and fully accept I would have to attend mandatory training sessions to be taught more about Shintoism and the procedures necessary to succeed. and am full of the capability and excitement to possibly be doing so.

───────────────────────────────────────
24E45AEF-DDF3-43E7-9197-BCCCE2C96366.jpg
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

MODEL_KOI.png

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

"Koi Sang-eo Mulgogi"

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

"Mr and or Sir."

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

"24"

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:

"Single"

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

"Korean"

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

"(030)-665-4108"

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

"My motivation to work at the monastery continues to grow daily. I do enjoy spending countless hours studying Shintoism and being able to show my peace and gratitude towards the monastery. My main motivation for working at the monastery is to have a deeper connection within it, Being able to spread joy and prosperity within the community. I had a strong interest in Shintoism that started when I was very young, Although not knowing much about it and even now I know I could still learn some things. Being able to work at the monastery will allow me to grow aimlessly. As well as enjoying taking care of and being in the shrine, That truly is my main motivation for applying to work here along with the ability to care, live, and enjoy the work life at the Monastery that I wish to take in and enjoy to my utmost abilities."

"Even as a child living in South Korea, Shintoism truly inspired me and continues to do so on a daily basis as I didn’t have much growing up and turning to Shintoism helped me through so many things. Especially when working as a caretaker in the past where I used to reside. Shintoism and its community has also helped me through more various journeys within my life-time, Such as an accident that occurred when I was younger. Turning to this has brought me much joy and ability to perform my job to the best of my abilities, It's safe to say Shintoism itself is truly what motivated me to apply. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have had the courage and willpower that it provided me. And being able to spread my love and joy I have for Shintoism and Kami through working at the Monastery is a possible dream come true, As well as showing my children that anything they put their mind to can be done."

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

"Although I don’t know much history and information about the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery I do acknowledge it being originally built and constructed by Buddhist monks sometime around the year 744 which seemingly, Was a long time ago. Meaning the shrine being one of the oldest structures of Karakura. The Shinsei Monastery was once also called the Kisune monastery in 1228, Which was the second variation of the shrine; before being changed to the Shinsei Monastery in 1617. It is also commonly well known that a horrific fire swept through and had burned everything except for one building, That being the Monastery itself. Being built in the mountains providing a safe haven for all, Such as the many peaceful and entertaining aspects of the shrine providing guests of all sorts prosperity and good fortune such as the gift shop, the dojo, the hot springs and more. As I don't know much, Not being from Karakura itself and coming from that of South, Korea I am willing to overcome that and learn whatever I can and spread that knowledge to the best of my abilities as I know there is always room for learning more and spreading your knowledge to an endless amount."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

"Dear, Monastery lead"

"I am writing to you about my position in applying to work at the Monastery myself as a priest. My name is Koi Sang-eo Mulgogi and I hope this letter reaches you in good health and fortune. Being able to write this right now is a blessing in itself, Shintoism has been a big part of my life for the past couple of months as well as being deeply connected to Shintoism when I was younger and being able to gather the courage to apply and write you this letter makes it all worthwhile. I do understand you get a lot of applicants daily as well as many letters. I am inspired to become a priest and work within the Monastery as many have hopes of being able to do so. I am proud to name myself one of the very few who are pushing their fears aside for an astonishing religion. Whether I get this position or not, I know I will do great deeds and help a broad range of people. And as I know this is short, I wholeheartedly believe I would do a fantastic job at working and attending to the shrine and dedicating my all towards it."

"Sincerely, Koi S. Mulgogi"

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Born in South Korea to a lovely individual, Ahnjong Sang-eo. Koi being the middle child of five siblings and their father not mostly present he was expected to accomplish much at a young age. He was an extremely polite and quiet kid, Being taught how to respect each and every individual. His mother taught him many things, such as how to cook, How to clean, and How to fold clothes. He was truly a golden child throughout his entire life, His grades in school always remained consistent and good and overall he was a pretty popular kid although having problems with speaking correctly he made up for it. He always had a specific obsession with the ocean and marine life to a certain degree. He was in various swim teams growing up in Korea, He never had any specific dreams growing up. The ones he did have would occasionally switch and change their pace. He would always keep to himself and put others before him, Koi had a laid-back and calm personality. And his mother was a pretty easy-going and caring woman, As for his father not being present deeply affected Koi. He’s grown to not trust most people, Although still extremely gullible at times. Koi being an excellent swimmer, his way of swimming was elegant and new. He had won various trophies and completed many races throughout his life-time, Usually scoring between 1-3rd place. He was also made swim team captain at one point, The other members of the swim team adored him. Most looking up to him, Although at the time he was only 14, His skills were immaculate. And inspired many his age, older, and younger. At the age of fifteen, he was in an astounding accident which had left him scarred both emotionally and physically.
After the accident, he became more cautious and developed severe PTSD from it, At times disassociating from the world. Years of going through various therapy sessions and medication managed to worsen him as his personality with these medications would differ daily and cause him to act completely different some days rather than others. He wouldn’t really take notice of his intense personality differences with these medications, And still doesn’t. Koi was made swim team captain. But shortly after the accident he was made to quit the swim team entirely.

This had caused Koi an abundance of emotional and even physical distress, The one thing he loved was gone. And at the time the only things that would help him were being in the water, Which he couldn’t. The accident had left him with a small limp in his right leg, Leaving him without the full usage of it. Though, The limb wasn’t noticeable at all. Just occasionally, Would cause him to lose balance in his walk. So on his eighteenth birthday, he was encouraged to move out and rent a place on his own, which he did. A small apartment located on the far end of Moscow, Russia. Why did he move so far away from his beloved hometown in South Korea? Who knows. Koi was relatively quiet when it came between him and his past, But luckily he managed to land a job at a small gifted school as a caretaker. The school consisted of around twenty to fifty students with little to no activities so he didn’t work much but when he did he certainly did enjoy it and knew he wanted children of his own some day. He had made friends with many of the other faculty. He had a kind hearted soul, At times being a bit sensitive. After a couple years of working there and finding nothing significant in his life, he decided he wanted to travel the world he started his journey at the age of twenty and began taking various job opportunities in many cities and making millions of different memories and meeting plenty of new people. He had many problems with staying in one place at the time as He was a young man with broad aspirations. During this time is when Koi began to discover a lot about himself in many ways, He had grown so fond of traveling but knew he desired more in life and during this time he began to figure out many things about himself. He wanted to settle somewhere and meet someone new, Start his own little family, and make a household full of happiness. Koi then came across Karakura Japan where he was convinced it was a loving and quiet place. His mind was filled with great things about Karakura and he was certain this was the path to greatness. So, At the ripe age of twenty-three he had decided to go through with moving to Karakura, Japan. It was a long journey, With many ups and downs. A huge decision that he was almost certain was going to turn out incredible.

CE32B305-E052-4148-811D-0120579D1767.jpg
SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

"Well, From my knowledge the priests are responsible for administering and conducting any ceremonies, rituals and or special occasions that might take place in the shrine that usually ranges from marriages, to funerals of all types. They are expected to lead any prayers, and or chants to the Kami when called upon. Both the Maidens and Priests are also highly expected to keep the shrine in top notch condition for both themselves and the guests since many reside there and visit from time to time it is best to keep everything tidy, In respect to themselves and the Kami. This includes providing general assistance and virtue to those in need such as if any questions would come up about the shrine or the shrine history, Whether your a simple guest or a reoccurring visitor. Overall, Providing a safe and secure experience to all visiting. So in conclusion, Priests and Maidens have a set duty and that is to provide a feeling of warmth and generosity to all as well as conducting their needed jobs around the shrine and being present when needed."

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

"Upon making your way up onto the shrine entry area to where the tori gates begin to rise; it is a wise decision and needed for you to purify both your mind and soul as it is like taking your shoes off before entering a home. Once you reach the tori gate the custom is to walk along one side rather the center, The left hand side is usually used as the middle is said to be used for Kami but there is no real rule about it. Most preform a small bow before entering in respect to the Kami. There being a water trough at the entry allows you to clean both of your hands thoroughly. You would pick up the wooden ladle with your right hand and fill it up with water, and then first pour the water over your left hand then your right. You'd then pour a little more into your right hand before bringing it up to rinse your mouth and further on spitting it onto the floor not back into the trough, As you should NOT drink from the ladle. This is followed by rinsing your left hand once more then using the remaining water to rinse the ladle before putting it back. This purification process is needed to enter the shrine it is a version of Misogi and Harae purification."

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

"Just above the steps is where the prayer hall arises, You'll notice a long rope attached to a bell; There are many different items you can offer to the Kami you are giving your offering to, Such as cooked food, drinks, money and so on. The offerings for the Kami are largely symbolic so truly it doesn't matter how much yen you offer if you are planning to do so. Offering to a Kami is another form of purification. You'll take a step forward raising your arm to ring the bell once, This does not need to be done more than once as Kami's can always hear and see your offering. You would then take a step forward and toss your offering into the offering box. This is then followed by two deep bows, a pause then two claps then one last bow. Upon leaving to show your respect you are to not face your backs towards the Kami and are to take a different route if needed as to not show disrespect. Prayers are also occasionally followed before and or after the offering. And that, Is how offerings to a Kami are performed."

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

"First and foremost you will gather all and any guests that wish to participate and bring them into traditional tea room, where upon entering there would be a tatami floor placed; to which is where you will remove all shoes before entering, and have the guests purify themselves once more before entry. Just as you did before entering the shrine. That is then followed by the host of the tea ceremony ritual preparing all ritual items with care, Such as the green powdered tea and the whisk, and tea scoop needed. The host would typically prepare the tea in front of the guests. Before the tea is served there would traditionally be served a sweet that is to be eaten before the tea is drunk."

"Then the tea bowl or bowls will be placed onto the tatami mat in front of the host and or guest with the front facing them before it is turned to a 90 degree angle so it is no longer facing the person. They would give a small gradual bow before It will be sipped a few times and then placed back onto the tatami mat. You would then bow and express your gratitude after finishing. Towards the end, You can express any gratitude towards the host, or even Kami themselves for this moment. The host may ask if the guests would like another round of tea or not, And if declined the ceremony is then over and all utensils and items used for the ceremony will be cleaned and handled with care just as when they first started."

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

"A Tamagushi translated to a jewel skewer are ritually presented to Kami’s as an offering and it is usually a Sakaki tree branch or at times an evergreen branch such as cedar, and shide. A Tamagushi represents our sincere hearts and spirits, which we offer to Kami and are presented usually by shrine maidens or priests. When we offer Tamagushi, We hold the Sakaki branch with the leaves resting on our left palm, and pinching the stem in our right hand. We walk up to the offering area, and bow, raising the Tamagushi to our foreheads forward."

"An Ofuda is a talisman also commonly used in Buddhism that's made of various materials such as paper, wood, cloth, or metal. An Ofuda is typically stuck or hung onto the walls of your household to bless it with a certain protection or spirit. And it is issued by Shinto shrines and can be found occasionally around the Shinsei Monastery. Certain kinds of Ofuda are intended for a specific purpose such as overall protection against calamity or misfortune, safety within the home, or finding love. Other than being placed on walls they can also be attached to gates, doorways, or kitchens."

"Kagura Suzu is a special ritual tool that consists of twelve bells and are used in special Kagura dances, Kagura meaning entertaining gods. Usually used at regional festivals as a ceremony to pray for a good harvest and to ward off any natural disasters. The larger form of the Kagura Suzu may also be hung from a rafter in front of a Shinto Shrine and sounded by a robe or ribbons that hang within reach of the worshipper. The smaller Suzu is supported atop a handle and is held by female shrine attendants dressed in traditional robes."

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Based on my character, He would worship Suijin. The god of water. The term Suijin (water deity.) refers to the many heavenly manifestations of the benevolent Shintō of water. But it can also refer to a variety of mythical creatures found in bodies of water; Including, Snakes, Fish, Dragons, Eels and so on. My char would worship this Kami for a numerous amount of reasons and for the main fact that it’s fitting to his character and his looks if you couldn’t tell right off from the bat he is based on Koi Fish! (He is still very much human.)

───────────────────────────────────────
image.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread