players online

Shrine priest Application

Grass

Level 10

IGN:

Cakkophobia

DISCORD TAG:

ISnortGrass#7020

Do you have a microphone and would you be able to joins discord calls when needed?:

Yes

Do you plan to be present for our events and everyday activities?:

Yes

Are you prepared to learn about Shintoisme?:

I've always been interested in japanese culture and Shintoisme is a huge influence in there, I would really like to learn more about it.

What do you know of Shintoisme?:

I don't know much about Shintoisme, but I have made some surface-level research that helps me understand the main aspects about it without getting too specific.

What are you applying for?:

I am applying for the role of a Shinto priest.

Why are you applying for this role?:

The reason as to why I am applying for this role is because I would like to learn more about Shintoisme. Not only that, but playing my character's dad would also be fun to play around with and could probably get me into some freaky situations that I look forward to.

Do you understand that you may be removed if you break our rule or server rules?:

I completely understand.

What are your expectations from the shrine?:

I expect to learn a little bit more about Japanese culture in general, not only their religion but traditions when it comes to something as important as Shintoisme.

IC INFORMATION

What is your character’s name?:

Ryujin Onishi

What is your age?:

Why are you applying to work at this monastery?:

I'm applying to work here in order to help around, clean up and teach people about Shintoisme, aswell as reconnect with both of my sons, who currently live in Karakura.

Do you plan to be devoted?:

I would not be applying if I weren't devoted to the job.

What is your background? (Backstory.):

My father has told me many stories of past generations, the most eventful being that of my great-grandfather, as he served during the Second World War as a medic. Our family has never been about violence, but after witnessing the atrocities of war, he turned to Shintoisme, along with a moral code to not kill.

Write a letter to the shrine lead:
To the shrine lead,

I write to you this letter because I'd like to work as a priest at the Karakura Monastery, So I may live near my two sons, Ryusei and Jouichirou. I have been practicing Shintoisme since I was a child, and devoted my life to it in order to help those who have nowhere else to go, aswell as to help my own family.
I’ve heard tales of tragedy happening in this town, one may easily assume there are people out there who are in desperate need for guidance. I feel that with my experience as a priest in the Naminoue Shrine in Okinawa, along with the gathered patience from being a parent, I would be an adequate priest in this Monastery.

Best wishes, Ryujin Onishi

SITUATIONS

How do you cleanse before entering the shrine?:

Ryujin would grab the wooden dipper (a special sort of ladle) with his right hand, and then washed his left. After that, he would hold the dipper with his left, and pour water on his right hand in order to wash it. After switching the dipper back for one final time, he would put a small amount of water into his left hand, in order to pour it into his mouth, rinsing and then spitting on the rocks. The cleanse would be completely over with after Ryujin cleaned the ladle.

How do you pray to a Kami?:

In order to pray to a Kami, one must slowly yet deeply bow twice in order to greet them. Next, you must clap twice in order to show your respect for the Kami. After that, one can offer the gods their silent prayers.

How do you enter shrine grounds?:

Before entering a shrine, you must bow to the kami and take your first step with your left foot. Another crucial step is to enter from the left side, as the center is usually where the Kami passes.

How would you proceed with a ritual to offer the kami offerings?:

Depending on the kami, my character would offer o-miki wine or rice. If a special occasion were to arise, maybe some sort of special feast could be held, with music in order to honor the Kami.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoisme, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:

My character would inform them about certain crucial traditions, for example, how to enter a shrine and cleanse yourself, how to pray, etc. He would probably use a visual explanation when possible.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:

If someone wishes to perform a hatsumiyamairi, Ryujin would instruct them to bring their child to the shrine on the thirty-second day after its birth if he is a boy, or the thirty-third if she is a girl, so that they can be placed under protection by the Kami.

You notice a ritual as not been done. What do you do?:

Ryujin would politely ask the person to perform the ritual in order to follow tradition, as it is impolite to ignore something that has been done for thousands of years.

Users who are viewing this thread