StrawberryJamer#9840

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
None!

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I usually spend a lot of time on the server when I am not doing schoolwork or other things I do during my day. I will be on for several hours with my characters engaging in RP! MY current character I usually play is on my StrawberryJamer account and I tend to be more in the gangrp side of things. I try my best to not do anything wrong and make sure I am always up to date on rules. I will be spending lots of time on this new account just as much as I do on my main account.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Priestess

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I know that Shintoism is a religious belief that originated from Japan. The word Shinto itself means “the way of the kami.” It is more closely related to Japanese values and way of life. Everything can be a kami in Shinto which includes mountains, rivers, and anything to do with nature. There are also kami that have to do with fertility, creation, etc. Shintoism also has bad kami that are called Yokai and are used by parents often to scare their children. Yokai tend to do horrible things, so people want to stay away from them. Anyone can follow or join Shintoism as it accepts everyone. There is no founder of Shintoism and there are no actual sacred texts that have to do with it.

I am completely willing to learn and be taught more about Shintoism. I learned about it in classes that I have taken at my school, and it is interesting to me. I think the practice is interesting. I really want to expand my knowledge on Shintoism!

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
OOCly, I have done papers for my classes in my school on this religion because I was always interested in it. Many people in my family follow the ways of both Buddhism and Shintoism. I want to learn more about Shintoism to have a better understanding of it and I am willing to put more time into this character if I was able to get this position.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I understand! I am extremely excited to learn.

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Kiriko Hinode

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Madam

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-906-7199

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
My family has always been a part of Shintoism! My grandmother was a Shrine Priestess herself and I have always wanted to follow in her footsteps. I have had cousins become Shrine Maidens, but I always really looked up to my grandmother and wanted to become a wonderful Priestess like her. I feel like this is something that will help me grow as a person and just be able to learn more about what I love so dearly. I want to follow my family in their way of serving the Kami.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I don't know a lot about the Shrine, but I do know it was built in June 744. It was terrible to learn it burnt down. I do know it was also completed as an official shrine in 762 that was originally held for Buddhists. It slowly adapted to become a shrine for Shintoism and became named the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. The Kami that is known to be there is Yama-No-Kami! I know that after the fire, many of the gods and Kami left since it did not seem fit to hold a place for them. The Kami left, Yama-No-Kami, was extremely sad from this and started to wreak havoc on Karakura. Though, we should be thankful that the Kami chose to stay after all the others left. Strong winds began to take place after this time. I really do hope to learn more after I come to work at this shrine.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Dear Monastery Lead,

I am hoping this letter reaches you well. I am requesting to have a position at your shrine as a shrine priestess. I would love to be a part of the Shinsei Seinaru Shrine and I have plenty of experience on a shrine as I grew up with my family being highly active members in the Shintoism community. My family would work at the Izumo-Taisha shrine in my hometown, and I would be there every day I could go with my grandmother who was there as a shrine priestess. I will be on my way to Karakura soon, so I hope that I am able to join and become a part of the Monastery. It would mean the world to me to be able to teach and experience my religion in a beautiful way, such as your shrine. I wish you the best and hope to work with you in the future.

Thank you for your time!
Kiriko Hinode

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Kiriko was born into a middle to lower class family in the city of Izumo, Japan. Her family was close and together they would worship under the Kami of Izanami and Izanagi. Kiriko was always close to her grandmother the most when she was growing up. She would spend most of her time with her grandmother and she would always be taken to the shrine to help around the best she could.

She was first introduced to Kami at an early age, 9. Her family was big in following the kami and the ways of Shintoism but gave Kiriko time to adjust to that lifestyle so they did not overwhelm her so she could enjoy it to the fullest. Kiriko was an only child so spending time with her family is what she did in her spare time after school. Helping her favorite person, her grandmother, was what she would do instead of her homework. Her grades would suffer but as she began to get older, she was able to learn how to manage her time. Throughout high school, she would spend more time at the Izumo-Taisha Shrine when she would get the time. She would clean and watch what her grandmother did so she could follow her in her footsteps. In Kirikos spare time, she picked up a habit to try and learn tarot. She would watch her cousins and other family members use them often, so she gravitated to learning it herself. Once Kiriko entered college, spending time at the shrine became her life. She was friends with many of the Maidens and would take any chance she got to learn from the priests and priestesses. Kiriko was inspired by the religion so much she would take classes to get the full amount of knowledge she could on it.

Life hit Kiriko like a train the day her grandmother died. She was her best friend, teacher, and most importantly, her family. Her feet were sluggish every day, but she still tried to find time to head to the shrine. Every day, Kiriko would be there, learning more so she could understand even more to pick up where her grandmother left off. After spending years on the shrine with her family, she decided it might be her time to take up the mantle her grandmother left and go become a Priestess herself. Kiriko became a Shrine Priestess at the same shrine her grandmother worked at. She was able to feel more comfortable since the people she knew where already there, and she was able to serve the Kami to her full ability now. After some time of working on this shrine, Kiriko decided it was time to branch out and moved to Karakura to work at the shrine they had present in their city.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

The Shinto Priests oversee purification rituals and many other services throughout the shrine. They would sometimes leave the Monastery to be able to interact with the citizens. Shine Priests can also conduct Tarot readings for people who come to the shrine. They also have a role to keep where they have a good relationship with the kami and those who are worshiping and giving offerings. They can get married.

The Maidens, also called Miko, are typically young female priests. They do sacred dances to satisfy the Kami and can also conduct exorcisms, practice divinations and are believed to have magical powers. They also work as mediums for the spirits and people coming to the shrine. They also leave the Monastery but most of their duties are centered around the shrine. They also sell omamori and omikuji paper fortunes to people and assist in hosting tea ceremonies! A Shrine Maiden cannot get married but if they wish to, they can become a priestess.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Before someone enters the shrine, their hands must be washed. Once they enter the shrine, they will need to bow at whoever is waiting to greet them. The ones greeting them will either be a shrine priest/priestess or a shrine maiden. There will be a spot to wash your hands a second time with a ladle, to wash away any impurities. Washing them the second time is seen as purifying yourself. It is expected you also wash your mouth and the hand that was used to do so.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
There tend to be many ways to perform an offering to a Kami and it depends on your beliefs along with where you come from. The most common offering is by getting an item you want to offer and attach a piece of Noshi paper to the item you want to offer. You can then write the name of the item you want to offer on the paper and your name.

Another common way is to offer coins of yen. You can place them in offering boxes and swing the bell right before you bow. You would bow twice and clap your hands twice. You do not need to pray after doing this.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
A Tea ceremony is a ritual that happens all over Japan. It is a big part of their culture and is often considered a Tea gathering ritual. These rituals happen at tea houses and once you are seated, they will begin. The tea master will meticulously clean the utensils in a precise order and prepare the tea in a kettle over a charcoal fire. The final brew is poured into a bowl and handed to the first, most important guest. The person receiving it is to raise the bowl in a mark of respect to the tea master. They must rotate the bowl slightly, so they are not drinking from the front. They will take a sip and compliment the taste. It is passed to each guest to sample the tea. Tea ceremonies are all about the art of giving tea and not just serving the tea itself. It is an art form that people perform.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
These are items that are utensils used for rituals at the Shrine.

The Tamagushi is a branch from a type of tree called Sakaki. It would be decorated with shide strips that were silk, cotton, or washi paper. This is used formally at weddings and funerals.

Ofuda is a paper talismon that is known to hold power and fortune to them. It could also be a piece of cloth, wood, or metal. They are found often at Shinto Shrines and Buddhist temples.

Kagure suzu is a tool used for rituals. It is considered special as they are not used at home or at a kamidana. They are most often used by priests during a ceremony, and it is a stick that is stuck with 12 bells on it. Miko will use these during ritual dances.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Kiriko and her family has been known to worship the Kami, Izanami and Izanagi.​

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
PENDING

Thank you for taking your time to apply! Your application is wonderful, but we don't have enough open slots to fit you at the moment. In the next application cycle your application will be viewed again. You can use this app, or make a new one.

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Thank you for waiting. Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app. Feel free to reapply in the future!​

Users who are viewing this thread