Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
IGN: rinis
DATE: 1/15/23
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Onrain and the Sports GC
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
It's a great idea, truly. Sadly, the GC's being moved there completely killed communication between teams. Discord was easily accessed, everyone had it on their phones, and it was easy! Onrain on mobile is a nightmare, it's horrible. And I get it wasn't made to be mobile but due to that, people don't use the GCs and therefore communication has just died. I feel like my character talks to herself most of the time. Staff worked hard on Onrain, I really want to work with staff on it but a huge factor is the Onrain hype died; at least for the sport teams. I also want to see the opinions of other players as well. Discord everyone had always, so even away from the PC, people could still interact. But due to how poorly it is on mobile at the moment, people can't have easy access and it all overkilled the hype of the IC GCs. A solution? Maybe adding the IC GC's to the KA discord until Onrain flows a little bit better on mobile, maybe even adding a discord bot that connects the two so people can still have that easy access from Discord. Maybe even promoting Onrain within teams more. This one, I'm not gonna lie; I struggle to find a solution mainly because I am aware of how badly staff wants this to work so if staff can even throw in some opinions? Id love to hear them and see if we CAN find a cool solution.

A thing to add, this also defeated ANY IC chats the bobcats had outside teams which sucked because I've been told by regular players they really miss hearing the 'IC' drama and things like that! Sure, this isn't crazy important feedback but something I wanted to bring up as I hear complaints from both parties (Bobcat teams and Spartans) that the IC GC's aren't what they use to be and everyone really misses that easy access communication!

Last edited:

Ecocide

Level 32
3Eco
3Eco
Omega+
I hate onrain, the GCs are awful and I have no idea what's going on with anyone anymore it's killed almost all my roleplays with the different teams and my own team. Onrain is so overly inconvenient and I know Tippie can make us something 10x better.

Shadonk

Level 13
Shadonky
Shadonky
Omega
+1 billion !!!

I love onrain and the entire idea! Its super cool and creative.
Discord was easily accessed, everyone had it on their phones, and it was easy! Onrain on mobile is a nightmare, it's horrible.
This right here!! Discord is so easy to access and is a MUST if you want to do anything within the server that involve factions, such as the school sports faction. As someone who is on a sports team, I forget Onrain exists 95% of the time, like I NEVER use it unless someone mentions it and i think 'oh yeah, thats a thing'. The old Spartan and Bobcat servers had been around for SO LONG before they were deleted due to Onrain being a thing. So many memories and conversations gone. I understand that it was to make things so much easier but the fact that I have to go and open a link on my phone browser to open Onrain (which is super awful on mobile) just to check in on things ICLY while im not able to be at my PC kind of stinks.. I PERSONALLY think everything through Discord made things so much easier..

NoZinth

Level 195
Senior Admin
Employee Lead
Gang Lead
NoZinth
NoZinth
Omega+
I feel like a lot of people forget that you can use onrain in game, and not just online & mobile. I'm not on a sports team so I can't really comment on how often the other GCs worked, but maybe encouraging using it more in your teams could help? Embracing something new can be daunting, and they're bound to come with issues, but my opinion wouldn't be to back away until its completely changed. Maybe try stick it out as the updates come? I'm sure Tippie wouldn't be against working with the teams on the mobile GUI instead of them completely avoiding using it. :D

Infi

Level 129
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
Basically, people want IC group chats through discord again until Onrain works better.
Issue with that is in order for OnRain to work better players need to use it. It’s not going to get better by abandoning it and letting other people use it (those people will follow suit)

jaaaayla

Level 198
Council Lead
Jaeyla
Jaeyla
Fundraiser+
+1

More focus on Onrain mobile website or maybe an integration where you can type on Discord and the messages are transmitted through Onrain groupchats.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
+1

More focus on Onrain mobile website or maybe an integration where you can type on Discord and the messages are transmitted through Onrain groupchats.
ye!
more user friendly for those who cant atm access a pc

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
I feel like a lot of people forget that you can use onrain in game, and not just online & mobile. I'm not on a sports team so I can't really comment on how often the other GCs worked, but maybe encouraging using it more in your teams could help? Embracing something new can be daunting, and they're bound to come with issues, but my opinion wouldn't be to back away until its completely changed. Maybe try stick it out as the updates come? I'm sure Tippie wouldn't be against working with the teams on the mobile GUI instead of them completely avoiding using it. :D
its' not so much embracing something new as the idea of onrain is really fun! it's just while discord IC chats and team communication was easily accessed ANYWHERE due to being on mobile and stuff. Onrain only runs decently on PC which for what it is, YAY! But the joys of the IC GC (for anyone not on a team and curious) was a major talking point for teams to ICly communicate which we just don't have anymore due to accessibility IF THAT MAKES SENSE

philbertman42

Level 134
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
I honestly don't understand what the problem is, group chats and direct messages work perfectly fine on mobile. Like others have said, it's up to the playerbase to keep onrain active; if you want your friends to use the service, it's up to you to encourage them to do so.

I would also like to add, it's not difficult to keep onrain open on a tab in your phone's web browser, and it doesn't take much time to navigate there from discord. While it would be a convenience to have the website connect to academics, it would be to much of an effort for the sake of two private groups.

Lizalopod

Level 130
I agree with Nozinth and Alimonio on this, people just need to use onrain more instead of sitting around wanting discord group chats back >->

I've personally been checking it constantly on all my characters, and I always have it open in my browser or on my phone. I honestly don't see why we need to bring back the group chats if onrain is just a couple of finger taps away from discord.

suneater

Level 90
+1

Onrain on mobile is absolute hell to navigate, and overall discord was A LOT easier to access from anywhere. I love onrain & I love the idea of it a lot, but I wish they didn't sacrifice other stuff that worked perfectly fine as is for the sake of it.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
I agree with Nozinth and Alimonio on this, people just need to use onrain more instead of sitting around wanting discord group chats back >->

I've personally been checking it constantly on all my characters, and I always have it open in my browser or on my phone. I honestly don't see why we need to bring back the group chats if onrain is just a couple of finger taps away from discord.
(replying to only you but ik a lot of people keep saying it)
This isn't me begging for Discord GCs back; this is me asking for either
1) make onrain easily accessed on mobile bc rn working it is so hard and makes me cry
2) possible make a bot connecting discord and onrain
3) promote it more with the player base

I alone ask my team to use it but I can't force people on it; I alone cant hype up onrain and due to the overall hype of onrain dying out (especially with teams) its ultimately killed IC communication. As someone who runs the Bobcat event stuff; communication is and has been a struggle as it is and moving the GCs to onrain killed it more so the reason for this feedback was to ask for help on the matter from the playerbase to see what other players would like

cho0ii

Level 171
Community Team
Event Team
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+
Neutral/leaning to -1

As much as I agree onrain is confusing, and difficult to use, it just takes time to get used to it. Onrain has worked perfectly fine with me other than login detail issues on my end, the group chats work well and I like how it integrates into Minecraft (even though the app doesn't work and it's a shovel. . .). I would love the group chats on discord back however it's a lot of different discord servers just so we have a team group chat.

moonboops

Level 10
spxcegrl
spxcegrl
Rich
-1/+1

I would like to state that the suggestion is NOT about OOC GCs. This is a suggestion about IC groupchats on Discord. I have seen a few families on SRP do this, there is a bot that does make this possible but it wouldn't be able to integrate Onrain and Discord, unless staff decide they want to make a bot. I believe there is a server that was made for SRP officially that does exactly this. So why can't teams utilize this? Or really, any other faction. But, thats why Onrain was made, so these GCs could exist and it gives it more of a feel of your character having their own social media. I don't use Onrain much and I understand that it can be frustrating to communicate ICly on the website if it does not work properly. I do see IC GCs on Discord to be a temporary solution. HOWEVER, it does somewhat defeat the purpose of what Onrain was supposed to be: a place where your characters could interact in a social media like website. If you want your teams to engage ICly. There is also the issue of metagaming as well and that is a reason staff may not want it. (But then again, that can also be an issue, with Onrain so I don't know.)

I'm neither for or against this suggestion. Its a nice idea for a temporary solution until the problems with Onrain are fixed and its working. The only reason I'd be against is if the desktop website works, then why the IC GCs? I get its for convenience but what will happen is everyone will move to IC Discord GCs and it will defeat the purpose of Onrain and its activity completely.

Furthermore, if anyone doesn't know what she means by IC groupchat, she means the GC's on Discord where you take a bot called Tupperbox, make your character through the bot, and use it to roleplay.

Last edited:

Ecocide

Level 32
3Eco
3Eco
Omega+

I know tippies genius brain can make us a discord bot that's connected to onrain this way all three platforms can be connected (game, website, discord for convenience) I believe in that mans coding.

philbertman42

Level 134
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
I know tippies genius brain can make us a discord bot that's connected to onrain this way all three platforms can be connected (game, website, discord for convenience) I believe in that mans coding.
For what groups would this be used? I would assume only major groups such as the rivaling halves of the sports factions, and MAYBE a few of the larger families. It wouldn't really make much sense to have faction based group chats (such as Faculty, KPD, EMS etc) since those are mostly occupations, not activities (and they already have radios to communicate with one another while on duty, which is plenty). They wouldn't do it for individual sports teams either, since they're only allowed to organize themselves in the Academics Discord, which already has an issue with excess channels.

It's not like they're going to give access to the bot to non-official servers, so would it even be worth programming such a minor convenience in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread