mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

staff command

Nijvzz

Level 6
IGN: Aluxos
DATE: 30 March 2021
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Make a /staff command so people can see what staff members are online. This will help a lot and keep /ooc clean from people asking 'Staff check /help' & 'Any staff online?'

SimplyLK

Level 67
SimplyLK
SimplyLK
Rich+
+1
I agree with this but a lot of the time they are in /vanish so they won’t show up as online. Perhaps /staff would also show the vanished staff are online as well.

MrSharkyJR

Level 26
MrSharkyJR
MrSharkyJR
Fundraiser+
+1/-1 neutral

I agree that it is handy to be able to check if there are staff online though it might also cause people to spam their dms or spam /help. Also sometimes staff are in a roleplay situation and therefor not able to respond.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
+1/-1 neutral

I agree that it is handy to be able to check if there are staff online though it might also cause people to spam their dms or spam /help. Also sometimes staff are in a roleplay situation and therefor not able to respond.

If it's something serious that a player needs help with that only staff can handle, they will pause their roleplay to go quickly help if no other staff is available. Other than that they probably expect any ordinary player to help guide them or just dm another staff member.

Nijvzz

Level 6
+1/-1 neutral

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I get where you're coming from, but don't you think that people will spam '/help' faster when they get no reply? As HighlightedTwin mentioned above, I think staff will pause their situation for a couple of seconds to help others, since it's their job to answer questions and things like that. I also think that the staff members who applied and got accepted expected that they will have to choose '/help' above their own roleplay situations.

Feel free to reply if you think that I am wrong.

Laur

Level 39

Nine times out of ten staff members are online Discord, but not online the server, making them available to be directly messaged if you have an issue. Asking for a staff member in OOC doesn’t spam the chat either. If it were a major issue then it would most likely have been made as a rule not to ask in OOC for staff members, such as the “Do not chain in OOC” rule. /help sometimes can get blocked or accidentally ignored due to SocialSpy or just simply for the reason that the staff member is AFK/idle.

It is their job to keep the server clean and make players follow rules, but their role should not restrict them from roleplaying entirely. As I have roleplayed with a few staff members, many of them have paused roleplay quite often to go deal with their staff duties and I can see how it would get irritating. Also getting pestered in DMs or /help such as “I know you’re online, why are you ignoring /help and OOC” can be an issue.

Using #help is also an effective way to request help, without getting ignored or having to re-type your message because staff didn’t see it. Messages in #help also get reviewed within a few hours or minutes, depending on the available staff, nevertheless the questions still get answered most of the time.

Lastly, having people complain about no staff replying while they acknowledge the fact that you’re on can get irritating and cause them to be discouraged even more to help you. Yes it’s their job, but you don’t need to tell them how to do it and that they should be attending to their job 24/7, they are still regular players without the staff role just like you, wanting to roleplay because that’s what the server is for.

Last edited:

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+

Nine times out of ten staff members are online Discord, but not online the server, making them available to be directly messaged if you have an issue. Asking for a staff member in OOC doesn’t spam the chat either. If it were a major issue then it would most likely have been made as a rule not to ask in OOC for staff members, such as the “Do not chain in OOC” rule. /help sometimes can get blocked or accidentally ignored due to SocialSpy or just simply for the reason that the staff member is AFK/idle.

It is their job to keep the server clean and make players follow rules, but their role should not restrict them from roleplaying entirely. As I have roleplayed with a few staff members, many of them have paused roleplay quite often to go deal with their staff duties and I can see how it would get irritating. Also getting pestered in DMs or /help such as “I know you’re online, why are you ignoring /help and OOC” can be an issue.

Using #help is also an effective way to request help, without getting ignored or having to re-type your message because staff didn’t see it. Messages in #help also get reviewed within a few hours or minutes, depending on the available staff, nevertheless the questions still get answered most of the time.

Lastly, having people complain about no staff replying while they acknowledge the fact that you’re on can get irritating and cause them to be discouraged even more to help you. Yes it’s their job, but you don’t need to tell them how to do it and that they should be attending to their job 24/7, they are still regular players without the staff role just like you, wanting to roleplay because that’s what the server is for.

I don't think it's that deep. It's just a command to see if a staff member is online so they can help you out within the moment. Your concern about people sliding into their DMs and going on about how they are vibing online doing nothing or whatever the case is yet not responding to them, I'm pretty sure that already happens.

With your other concern about staff pausing their roleplay just to help a player, as you said, it is their job to help, and like I also stated, they would pause the roleplay if there's no other staff member to deal with it and if it can't simply be handled by the parties involved in the situation. If they personally feel as though it gets irritating to stop their roleplay for it, they can either direct the player to another staff member in the meantime or ask them to wait a bit until they're done.

I obviously understand that being a staff member- is never so easy, especially with a growing playerbase that this server has, however, you cannot expect people not to ask questions or have any concerns with their very first instinct being to ask the staff that are online. Your point about asking in #help for staff help is correct and I think it should be better advertised to ask for help there rather than on the server at this point then if that's how the staff are feeling regarding stopping/pausing roleplay to help people.

Regardless, I just think it's still a good command to have so you would know who's online so you can request that specific's staff member's help such as an S.A. when you need to do some building for a certain event/occasion.

Laur

Level 39
I don't think it's that deep. It's just a command to see if a staff member is online so they can help you out within the moment. Your concern about people sliding into their DMs and going on about how they are vibing online doing nothing or whatever the case is yet not responding to them, I'm pretty sure that already happens.

With your other concern about staff pausing their roleplay just to help a player, as you said, it is their job to help, and like I also stated, they would pause the roleplay if there's no other staff member to deal with it and if it can't simply be handled by the parties involved in the situation. If they personally feel as though it gets irritating to stop their roleplay for it, they can either direct the player to another staff member in the meantime or ask them to wait a bit until they're done.

I obviously understand that being a staff member- is never so easy, especially with a growing playerbase that this server has, however, you cannot expect people not to ask questions or have any concerns with their very first instinct being to ask the staff that are online. Your point about asking in #help for staff help is correct and I think it should be better advertised to ask for help there rather than on the server at this point then if that's how the staff are feeling regarding stopping/pausing roleplay to help people.

Regardless, I just think it's still a good command to have so you would know who's online so you can request that specific's staff member's help such as an S.A. when you need to do some building for a certain event/occasion.

I get what you’re saying and it isn’t really that deep either. Personally just in my opinion the /staff won’t help as much usually because there is a reason they aren’t replying to your /help. Whether they’re AFK, do not want to deal with your question by choice, or just are unable to, getting called out in OOC or wherever you are, it’s just kind of.. Irritating? (To me of course.)

As a member of the KPD and sometimes the only police officer online, people tell me to go to front desk or “do my job” in OOC. It’s not as bad as getting DMs or /f messaged, but it’s still quite annoying when I’m trying to AFK or just relax just due to the fact that I don’t want to log off, but I don’t want to do work.

Here’s a list of pros and cons so we can compare, add any more if you wish:

Pros:
- You are able to see a list of staff members on
- Less messages in OOC requesting staff
- Seeing what specific ranks are online (Not sure if you wanted to add this into the plug-in.)
- Shows staff members in vanish
- Easier access (in some way) to see what staff members to DM

Cons:
- A higher chance of getting acknowledgement when not wanting to be, or adding extra stress
- Possibly getting DMed to answer or asked in OOC either way to check /help in game when you’re already tabbed in but unable to answer (I’m sorry, but knowing a few SRP players they definitely will be asked in OOC)
- Unable to see who’s really available but just online
- /help may be spammed even more, knowing that a staff member is reading the messages but cannot reply, or is idle and they think the staff member is reading the messages
- Somewhat encourages players to go to /help instead of #help, thinking that staff members are useless overall
- Pretty much all staff and most people value their privacy, I think it’s a bit odd to know when they’re online and available (In vanish, you can already see when a specific staff member is online when out of vanish)

Extra(s):
- Most situations can be resolved by simply being patient and DMing a staff member
- Most staff members will usually stop roleplay situations if the favor is quick, some situations clearly take longer than others so they usually don’t stop it (For example, gang or police officer roleplay situations take longer usually than the average question or report)
- Asking if any staff members are online in #help in the RPH Discord server to deal with your problem and specifying what it is can be more effective than asking in /help

Extra note: No, I did not make the pros and cons list to embarrass you in any way or try to convince you (somewhat), but I genuinely can’t think of any more pros or cons and it just seems to me that the cons outweigh the pros.

Last edited:

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
I get what you’re saying and it isn’t really that deep either. Personally just in my opinion the /staff won’t help as much usually because there is a reason they aren’t replying to your /help. Whether they’re AFK, do not want to deal with your question by choice, or just are unable to, getting called out in OOC or wherever you are, it’s just kind of.. Irritating? (To me of course.)

As a member of the KPD and sometimes the only police officer online, people tell me to go to front desk or “do my job” in OOC. It’s not as bad as getting DMs or /f messaged, but it’s still quite annoying when I’m trying to AFK or just relax just due to the fact that I don’t want to log off, but I don’t want to do work.

Here’s a list of pros and cons so we can compare, add any more if you wish:

Pros:
- You are able to see a list of staff members on
- Less messages in OOC requesting staff
- Seeing what specific ranks are online (Not sure if you wanted to add this into the plug-in.)
- Shows staff members in vanish
- Easier access (in some way) to see what staff members to DM

Cons:
- A higher chance of getting acknowledgement when not wanting to be, or adding extra stress
- Possibly getting DMed to answer or asked in OOC either way to check /help in game when you’re already tabbed in but unable to answer (I’m sorry, but knowing a few SRP players they definitely will be asked in OOC)
- Unable to see who’s really available but just online
- /help may be spammed even more, knowing that a staff member is reading the messages but cannot reply, or is idle and they think the staff member is reading the messages
- Somewhat encourages players to go to /help instead of #help, thinking that staff members are useless overall
- Pretty much all staff and most people value their privacy, I think it’s a bit odd to know when they’re online and available (In vanish, you can already see when a specific staff member is online when out of vanish)

Extra(s):
- Most situations can be resolved by simply being patient and DMing a staff member
- Most staff members will usually stop roleplay situations if the favor is quick, some situations clearly take longer than others so they usually don’t stop it (For example, gang or police officer roleplay situations take longer usually than the average question or report)
- Asking if any staff members are online in #help in the RPH Discord server to deal with your problem and specifying what it is can be more effective than asking in /help

Extra note: No, I did not make the pros and cons list to embarrass you in any way or try to convince you (somewhat), but I genuinely can’t think of any more pros or cons and it just seems to me that the cons outweigh the pros.

Firstly I didn’t mean to turn this into a debate/argument and yeah you have a good point and opinion.

Secondly, I already brought up some of the issues. The main issue being with roleplay it seems. It is perfectly fine if you want to chill a bit and roleplay. Sometimes all it simply take is “hey give me a moment or check in with someone else who’s available”.

Thirdly, noticing most of your cons are feelings of the staff. Which I stated earlier, if that’s how they truly feel AND knowing that dms AND ooc message already can and possibly does happen, then they should be encouraging #help instead of /help since at that point it’s become useless on both end. Staff don’t want to deal with it because they’re in the middle of roleplay or just want to chill; players don’t get an answer and will can agitated themselves when they have no one to help them in that moment.

All I could say is: don’t keep something that’s becoming useless since both parties feel a certain way about it and have staff strongly encourage going into #help of the discord instead. But again, I understand your points.

Laur

Level 39
Firstly I didn’t mean to turn this into a debate/argument and yeah you have a good point and opinion.

Secondly, I already brought up some of the issues. The main issue being with roleplay it seems. It is perfectly fine if you want to chill a bit and roleplay. Sometimes all it simply take is “hey give me a moment or check in with someone else who’s available”.

Thirdly, noticing most of your cons are feelings of the staff. Which I stated earlier, if that’s how they truly AND knowing that dms AND ooc message already can and possibly does happen, then they should be encouraging #help instead of /help since at that point it’s become useless on both end. Staff don’t want to deal with it because they’re in the middle of roleplay or just want to chill; players don’t get an answer and will can agitated themselves when they have no one to help them in that moment.

All I could say is: don’t keep something that’s becoming useless since both parties feel a certain way about it and have staff strongly encourage going into #help of the discord instead. But again, I understand your points.

You have very valid points as well, honestly I’d just leave it up to the staff team whether to accept or deny the thread, but I wouldn’t mind if it were to get added.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
You have very valid points as well, honestly I’d just leave it up to the staff team whether to accept or deny the thread, but I wouldn’t mind if it were to get added.

At the very least if it were added, they could put limitations on ooc messages if that’s even possible. DMs can’t be helped too much unless they have it turned off as well and try to figure that whole system out. and of course, /help being used less frequently.

I wanna be the president. Vote me in the next srp election! I salute.

Rebel

Level 53
Neutral

On one hand this would be a good idea but the issue is even if they are online they might be busy for example someone messaging them or such and I feel this would get out of hand if players see staff members are online, so my answer is neutral.

WiffyBanter

Level 143
KirikoM
KirikoM
Omega

In my overall opinion this would not be a beneficial command to add. The discussion above has shown all the reasons why we wouldn't want a command like this. I don't entirely believe it is Staff's fault for not responding to /helps (It is in a way but,) Players tend to ask questions that simply can be answered by looking on our very detailed rules post and using #help. /help really should be used if there is a current situation happening that needs Staffs attention. Hackers, Trollers or a New Player. /help has been seen as a way to quickly get staffs attention and when Staff don't see it OOC is spammed.

If Players could see Staff online the spam would get increased more. People would DM us or go into OOC to demand we do our job, which is yes irritating. A lot of Players don't see it but Staff do get shit on for not responding quite quickly and a lot of the time it is when we're AFK or RP'ing. If you were to ask your questions in #help and be patient its likely you'd get a very good response.

It's not fair to make comments like "It's your job" when you don't see us doing our job 100%, you only see when we don't respond to YOUR questions. /help is used all the time and experienced Staff like myself are used to RP'ing and also sometimes quickly answering someones /help but RP situations when you're DetailRP'ing it makes it difficult to multitask. A lot of Staff are dedicated players so a lot of us DetailRP.

Missunderstood

Level 110
otobii
otobii
Fundraiser+

In my overall opinion this would not be a beneficial command to add. The discussion above has shown all the reasons why we wouldn't want a command like this. I don't entirely believe it is Staff's fault for not responding to /helps (It is in a way but,) Players tend to ask questions that simply can be answered by looking on our very detailed rules post and using #help. /help really should be used if there is a current situation happening that needs Staffs attention. Hackers, Trollers or a New Player. /help has been seen as a way to quickly get staffs attention and when Staff don't see it OOC is spammed.

If Players could see Staff online the spam would get increased more. People would DM us or go into OOC to demand we do our job, which is yes irritating. A lot of Players don't see it but Staff do get shit on for not responding quite quickly and a lot of the time it is when we're AFK or RP'ing. If you were to ask your questions in #help and be patient its likely you'd get a very good response.

It's not fair to make comments like "It's your job" when you don't see us doing our job 100%, you only see when we don't respond to YOUR questions. /help is used all the time and experienced Staff like myself are used to RP'ing and also sometimes quickly answering someones /help but RP situations when you're DetailRP'ing it makes it difficult to multitask. A lot of Staff are dedicated players so a lot of us DetailRP.
Here's the thing. It's simply just a command where they'll know when a staff is online or not. I'm not saying that a staff member should overexert themselves, however, I believe they know what they signed up for when applying. This isn't about it being beneficial to staff, but rather to the player base. Some players do not have discord and can't contact staff as easily as your normal player. Seeing that a staff member is in fact online, would barely prove as a disadvantage. It'll simply help players know who to contact and who's available to help them.

Also, detailrp won't really stop you from answering a question (Again, not trying to imply staff should work all the time) simply because you can Ctr+A, and Ctrl + C. So when you're done with answering whoever's question, you can simply pick off where you left.

Another positive this very simple command would do is tell you which staff to DM. Some matters can't simply be discussed in /help. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the player base would appreciate knowing whether or not there's a staff to call in /ooc,

Frank and finally, I barely see any negatives regarding the player base. A staff member's job is to take time out of their day to help someone regardless of how stupid the question might be. Knowing whether or not one is online won't change much. It just makes it easier honestly. We can very clearly know which one is online on discord, why would it change if we know which one is online in-game?

Users who are viewing this thread