Suggestion | Language Classes

The FJ

Level 93
ilovemyplanex5
ilovemyplanex5
Rich+
IGN: FailedJarl78349
DATE: 9-11-22
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Classes at Karakura High/Karakura College that teach students languages without having to apply. Possibly, if a student attends 30-50 of the classes for the language they are learning, and got enough educational credits from that class, the language could be added to their account.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: Players are only allowed to apply for 2 languages, before having to apply to get a third language slot. If a player who is a student wishes to have more than 3 languages, they cannot. If this gets implemented, students would be able to speak more languages, thus being able to communicate with more people. While this may seem unrealistic, if someone had their first language, and learned a second and a third, but wanted to keep going, they clearly have enough brain power as a person to learn a fourth. Taking a class for this would make it easier for a person to learn another language.

Infi

Level 129
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
I don’t agree with learning more than 3 languages, however I like the idea of teaching a foreign language and allowing players to gain that language after some sort of exam. Though I’m not sure how it could be taught granted the only language we can use on SRP is English

DarkEclipic

Level 155
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+
Neutral

This is a good idea but I don't see a good way on teaching this in schools. I do see JSL being taught since it's hand signs/movements. But that could be put on the tutors if something like this was added(they would have to know JSL to teach a student ofc)

philbertman42

Level 134
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
As a former MFL language teacher (back when the department still existed,) I can say with authority that this isn't a good idea. Foreign language classes might be interesting to some, but on a recreational server where actual learning isn't a main priority, they're not engaging enough for a broad audience of people.

Also, I don't see any reason for players to have more than three additional languages, especially if they're high school students. Even that many is unrealistic, and having the ability to increase it further makes it seem like less of a genuine aspect of the character and more like an accessory to make them look cooler.

HATOLA

Level 270
HATOLA
HATOLA
Rich+
As a teacher myself I have to agree with alimonino, this is a VERY bad bc, theres /lang. Which making them opposite eachother.

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
+1/-1

I will say, I do not like the idea of foreign language classes. . they are simply not something that should be taught on a roleplay server, after all, this is for fun and fun only.

BUT I am advocating for the ability to learn your language through IC methods. . I made a language application on one of my characters describing exactly how they would learn the language, why they'd want to learn it, and how my /lang would actually be used. You see, I was applying for the ability to actively roleplay out learning my language, which I personally don't see any harm in. The application was denied, not because of the application itself (i believe it was even complimented), but because my character does not already know the language. The problem with this is that I cannot practice language learning ICly without actually having the ability to USE said language (it would be slowly used in moderation and my character would eventually build their vocabulary and sentence structure.) So of course, I thought of potential loopholes to this... how could my character learn this language anyway? Well... there wasn't one. Unless I wanted to learn a language without actually USING said language, I'd have to actually use the words of the real language when learning. (Which is warnable for good reason, seeing as our characters are speaking Japanese.) Of course, I didn't do this, but it severely impacted my character and demotivated me to actually roleplay on that character for quite a bit.

KimiNoUso

Level 338
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Denied
We used to have M.F.L Teachers (Modern Foreign Language), however the concept doesn't work on an English-only server. I also see no feasible way to make this work with plugins, so sadly this will have to be denied

Users who are viewing this thread