dhrdjim
dhrdjim
Rich
IGN:
jeemay

DATE:
25/3/2021

WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
This suggestion is going to be very short and straight-forward. There's nothing much to say about it;

I'd like to suggest the addition of little signs next to each field/team practice area (i.e. Football fields, Swimming Pool, Basketball Court, etc.) which would basically say when the next try-outs for the team will be held. This is a super simple addition and would be nice to see around the school especially with the fact that new players are always looking on how to join the team or at least those who are experienced enough and want to try being on a team. This could also serve an IC purpose which is, well, to inform you ICly of when the tryouts are. It's weird how your character ICly just magically knows when the next tryouts are. The only time they're announced ICly is when the tryouts are about to begin so no character will be physically prepared to attend tryouts 5 minutes after they've been announced.

I imagine them looking something like this, with colors changing to match the two different mascots and would include a sign or two with text similar to: "The next [TEAM NAME HERE] tryouts will be hosted on [DATE AND TIME]!;

Apologies for not having the pack on!
2021-03-25_17.23.52.png

suu

Level 38
TanoshiiDays
TanoshiiDays
Rich+
+1/-1
Pretty sure it was already a thing, I don't remember though. Either way, considering that teams are constantly changing, there wouldn't be a established date so it wouldn't make sense. If anything then that would be good to for example say "tryouts in two weeks" or something around the lines, but a certain date at a certain hour... It doesn't look like a good idea to me.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
Cool idea.

Most of the time we just say "look out for it in the announcements of the academics website" or something along those lines, then proceed to give the link to the actual discord.

imgayforwomen

Level 111
byewilliam
byewilliam
Rich

Most people just start preparing for tryouts when the tryout is announced, even if it was just announced 5 minutes ago ICly, I doubt people would go unprepared OOCly.

From my experience, I also know teams are constantly changing and members will be leaving, there may not be any tryouts for months on ends, like how Male College Football is and only hosting tryouts when they have a new space, or like other teams like Male HS Football, they'll have tryouts every week or so. It would be hard to keep track so I don't really agree with the idea.

jeemay

Level 41
dhrdjim
dhrdjim
Rich
Most people just start preparing for tryouts when the tryout is announced, even if it was just announced 5 minutes ago ICly, I doubt people would go unprepared OOCly.

I stated your IC Character would be unprepared for the try-outs. What I'm trying to say is, how does your character know there will be tryouts? It's a bit weird how just a group of people show up to a place at a specific time ICly and there are tryouts hosted. Why do you think so many new players show up to tryouts right AFTER they're announced via /event? Mainly because the majority of players explore the server more than the discords so it'd make sense if there was an IC explanation to how to get on a team/hints to that tryouts are an actual thing.
From my experience, I also know teams are constantly changing and members will be leaving, there may not be any tryouts for months on ends, like how Male College Football is and only hosting tryouts when they have a new space, or like other teams like Male HS Football, they'll have tryouts every week or so. It would be hard to keep track so I don't really agree with the idea.

Updating the signs would be really easy. If there's no tryouts; a staff member would put N/A. If there are tryouts, they'd put the date for it. And it doesn't matter if tryouts aren't constantly being hosted. Every team only hosts tryouts when they need members. It's not really a regular occasion. And if a team is constantly losing members, the captain is usually removed and replaced so again, won't be a big deal to update them

imgayforwomen

Level 111
byewilliam
byewilliam
Rich
how does your character know there will be tryouts?
I dunno maybe they should make the announcements channel ICly? Considering that a person actually has to have discord to join a team, I don't really see a problem with the situation, it's working fine so far.

Even if your idea DID work, it'd also cause problems with timing and stuff because tryouts take a decent amount to time to do and prepare and it would be annoying if they had a deadline to finish what they were doing.

Updating the signs would be really easy.
If there are tryouts, they'd put the date for it.
Updating the signs are easy yes, but timing would be weird. Captain usually have the time and date yes, but if they were to reschedule, it would be hella annoying.

And if a team is constantly losing members, the captain is usually removed and replaced so again, won't be a big deal to update them
If the captain was removed and replaced, they'd still continue to have the same problems and hosting tryouts would be a lot more stressful to do since captains are free to change the time until the announcement actually goes out. If the signs were updated AFTER the DISCORD announcement was out, then it'd be fine but it would be annoying to postpone if that happens if someone doesn't check discord and just assumes that the tryout either already happened or just showed up and got confused.

KimiNoUso

Level 338
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Reviewed

This is pretty much the same thing you suggested in January, though SLT are happy to place signs at the team captain or club leader's request, especially if they're for upcoming events (including try-outs and club events).

how does your character know there will be tryouts?
In-Character, we refer to the Academic Discord as the "School Website", so that's how a character would know when the try-outs are being hosted; these events would usually be on a school email chain too - realistically, at least. The poster's themselves have always been available to be placed upon requesting either a Principal or Dean to do so (depending on if you're a College/Highschool team member/captain).

In short: This idea is already in use and we're happy to place the sign/poster for you/the captain should you guys want them, feel free to ask when requesting your announcement to be posted in the Discord.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread