Community Team
Event Team
fredtastic
fredtastic
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: fredtastic
What's the title of your suggestion?: /time discord bot new command

What's your suggestion?:
As of right now the SRP discord bot can give us the IC time and date with the /time command, but I believe we could push this further by making it able to tell future IC times.

Multiple events (Crime events, Event team events, sport events, etc.) need to happen during school / not during schooltimes. In order to prevent people having to push back events due to schooltime and to make event planning slightly easier, I think the bot could have a new command. Here is how it could go:

/futuretime <timezone> <IRL date> <IRL time>

The bot could simply answer something like: "It will be 15:40 on a wednesday."

Now I do know time is sometimes changed manually by staff. This is why the bot would be more or less reliable when it comes to times that are far in the future. How i see it, the bot could check the current time and calculate the time it WOULD be in x amount of time.

I'm not sure this suggestion is clear, but I hope i managed to word it correctly.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
Would help with the planification of events

Infi

Level 132
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
+1 It makes sense actually for the bot to update as the time gets changed. This would be a nice feature to have for event planning

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
Convenient but not entirely necessary, since calculating the time usually isn't that difficult (unless you're trying to plan something out really far in advanced, which you've addressed the issue with).

kustomzero

Level 130
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
+1
This would be really useful not just for events but for shop openings who have set dates and set times. If this feature got added it’d prevent not only events getting pushed back but planned shop openings too. In general I like this idea and I believe this command would get used quite frequently.

Popo

Level 32
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
Mid, so won’t do any, but it seems like a waste of time for coding.
Coding this shouldn't be difficult.
Convenient but not entirely necessary, since calculating the time usually isn't that difficult (unless you're trying to plan something out really far in advanced, which you've addressed the issue with).
I think it's just more convenient as you mentioned, hence why it should be added instead of going through the five to ten minutes hassle of calculating a perfect time for an event whilst also accounting for the weekend pace of six IC seconds per OOC seconds, and the weekday pace of four IC seconds per OOC second.

Mialyansa

Level 61
+1 I said I would code it before but I did not have time. Just dont trust me when I say I will do something in the future as a proyect. Shit happens at school srry

SIMPL3Z

Level 101
Community Team
Lore Team
+1

Please. The amount of times we get in trouble with IC time when trying to open Fight Club is HORRIFIC. This would be a lifesaver.

Haneshii

Level 13
Haneshii
Haneshii
Omega+
+1
I think this is a great idea, this would make planning events a lot easier to plan for ICLY things. For example, planning team practices/hangouts! Say you wanted your team to log on so you can do things as a team, possibly have JOCKRP and other things happen. If you planned this for a certain time, you can ensure that the time was during school. Compared to doing the actual math of it, this would make our lives so much easier.

robinzee

Level 24
robinzee
robinzee
Rich
I agree with this suggestion. I think there it's in the server's interest to provide a means for finding future IC times so people can plan roleplays accordingly. If coding new functionality into the Discord Bot would be too difficult, at least some sort of online calculator application would be great (perhaps a Google Sheets doc?)

cho0ii

Level 175
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+
Mid, so won’t do any, but it seems like a waste of time for coding.
this is probably the least amount of waste of coding ive seen all day. organising events n having to calculate the time itll be is the most annoying thing ever and i will rip my hair out.

anyways +1

DylanDeNewb

Level 34
Community Team
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+

There is no way for the bot to inform you when the time changes, and still retain whatever searches you previously made, performantly.

Yes, you'd get the *current* date and time for the *current* speed, but you would not know if the speed then changed a minute later.

Users who are viewing this thread