My discord is Maz#9034

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

My timezone is CET.

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:

I don’t have any previous bans.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

Yes, I do have a microphone.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

I would say that I’m very active on the server, I usually spend over 5 hours or more on it on weekends. When it comes to weekdays, I am online for about 3-4 hours.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

I am applying for a Maiden.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

Shintoism, also known as Shinto, is an indigenous religious and spiritual tradition that originated in Japan. It is one of the oldest religions in Japan, dating back to ancient times. The term "Shinto" itself means "the way of the gods" or "the way of the kami." Shinto means the way of the gods. Shintoism is an Ancient religion of Japan. It started at least as long ago as 1000 B.C.E. but is still practiced today by at least five million people. The followers of Shintoism believe that spiritual powers exist in the natural world. They believe that spirits called "kami" live in natural places such as in animals, plants, stones, mountains, rivers, people and even the dead.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

The commitment I have to working for Monastery sets me apart from the other applicants applying for this position. Since I've wanted to work for a monastery for a while, I had to apply when a position that fit my qualifications opened up. What makes me stand out from the competition is my passion and drive to work for the temple while also gaining new skills and experience.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Yes, I do acknowledge this.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Sakura Kaneko

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

Miss.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:

Single.

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

Japanese.

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

(030)-112-5124

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

There are a few reasons why I’m applying to work for the monastery. Spirital growth, I feel a strong calling to deepen my spiritual practice and dedicate my life to a higher purpose. Joining a monastery can provide a structured environment for spiritual growth and allow me to devote myself fully to my faith and religion. I think this would really be a good roleplay experience for me also. By joining a monastery, I could have the opportunity to engage in various activities, such as teaching, or supporting the people in the community. I’d also like to escape the pressure of the real world, for me, the pressures and stresses of the modern world can become overwhelming and I believe joining a monastery offers an opportunity to step away from the hustle and bustle of daily life and find a space of peace and tranquillity for myself.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

One of Karakura's oldest structures, the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, was initially constructed in 744 by Buddhist monks. Only one building was left intact because it was given protection, allowing it to survive even though an older shrine had burned down because it was said to have been constructed the closest to the Kami.The monastery has previously experienced exactly two fires in its history, thus this wasn't the first one. Fortunately, the monastery was restored in 1228 after being destroyed the first time by rebelling Buddhist monks in 1176. 350 years later, the monastery was once more set ablaze, but this time it was done in an effort to communicate with the people of Karakura regarding the uprisings against the ruler of Japan. The monastery was subsequently reconstructed in 1617 and is still standing today without damage.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

Dear Monastery Lead,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. I am writing to express my deepest admiration and respect for the work and teachings of your esteemed monastery.

I have spent considerable time studying and contemplating various spiritual paths, and it is through this exploration that I have come to recognize the profound depth and authenticity present within your monastery's teachings. I believe that the teachings of your monastery align harmoniously with my personal spiritual journey and will provide the nourishment and guidance I seek. I humbly request the opportunity to join your community and commit myself to the practice and discipline that your monastery upholds. I understand the challenges and responsibilities that come with such a commitment and assure you of my sincere dedication and willingness to embrace the teachings and contribute to the well-being of the monastery and its community.
I am fully aware that the decision to accept a new member into your esteemed monastery rests with your discernment and the collective wisdom of the community. If you find it appropriate, I would be honoured to engage in further discussions or undergo any evaluations or trials necessary to demonstrate my sincerity and readiness to embark on this sacred path. It would be a privilege to experience the divine presence firsthand and have the opportunity to meet with you and the members of your community. Thank you for considering my request. I eagerly await your response and guidance. May the light of wisdom and compassion continue to guide your noble efforts in leading others towards spiritual awakening.

With utmost reverence and gratitude,
Sakura Kaneko.

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Sakura Kaneko (previously known as Sakura Ōmori) was born in Karakura, Japan, as an only child in the Kaneko family. She lived a very peaceful life with her parents, Sakura was a very happy child. She was always friendly and often played with other kids who were around her age, due to her enthusiastic personality, she was accepted into friend groups easily. When Sakura turned 11, her parents were unfortunately brutally murdered by a gang. Sakura was left all alone, most of her friends moved away, however she continued her education in Karakura before going to Korea a few times to visit some relatives. Most of her relatives were working in the Hospital so she’d go and visit them, her aunt Chihiro was a nurse in Seoul so she’d help out Sakura also went to Korea to pay a visit to her aunt where she lived for a while before returning to Karakura. Of course, she eventually had to go back to her hometown in Japan, this wasn’t enough to keep Sakura happy, she was alone, it was hard to deal with things without having her parents’ support. When Sakura turned 16, she got adopted by the Ōmori family. This was a good opportunity for Sakura to get a better life, however, the family was mostly filled with sisters who seemed to be more successful than her, this encouraged Sakura to try to get better and have a sort of a competition with her sisters. This led to Sakura trying out for a few sport teams and finally after many attempts she got in the Football team. She stayed in the football team for a while but she slowly realised that it wasn’t exactly her calling, so she left it. After some time, she decided to try and get a job. Sakura worked for a few months in Larenco along with her family, however the owner of Larenco has been changed and most of her sisters left Larenco including Sakura. Sakura was very self conscious and always criticised herself while growing up. She was still a shadow compared to her sisters who seemed to be more successful than her, this made Sakura close herself up from the world and made her start studying Literature as an escape, hoping that she’ll be successful one day, she buried herself in books but luckily she was back on her feet as her friends and her boyfriend were there for her, supporting her on the way. Times were rough for Sakura but she worked hard in order to get past them, being surrounded with literature and books have really helped her in her rough times. After many rough years in high school, Sakura got accepted into college. Since she was still trying to find something that she could do, she decided to try being a councillor, this was a totally new experience for her but it really opened her eyes in many ways as well as give her experience. She left the family Ōmori and began her journey on her on. Sakura always have dealt with rough things in life but luckily, her friends always got her back and knew how to get her back on her feet.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

In Shinto, priests and maidens play important roles in the religious rituals and practices of the tradition.

Shinto Priests (Shinkan):

The most important is Shrine management. Shinto priests are responsible for the overall management and administration of Shinto shrines. They oversee the maintenance of the shrine grounds, buildings, and sacred objects.
Then, the ritual officiations where protests conduct and officiate various rituals and ceremonies held at the shrine. These rituals can include purification ceremonies, prayers, blessings, and offerings to the kami. Next, the guidance and counseling where protests often provide spiritual guidance and counselling to shrine visitors and devotees. They may offer advice, answer questions, and help individuals navigate their spiritual journey.
Education and teach where priests may engage in teaching and educating others about Shinto beliefs, traditions, and practices. They may also provide instruction on the proper way to perform rituals or offer insights into the spiritual aspects of Shinto.

Shinto Maidens (Miko):

Maidens may assist in rituals where they assist the priests in performing various rituals and ceremonies. There’s also Shrine maintenance where maidens may be involved in the upkeep and decoration of the shrine. They may clean and arrange sacred objects, prepare offerings, and ensure that the shrine environment is well-maintained. Next, engaging with visitors where Maidens often interact with shrine visitors, providing assistance and guidance. They may answer questions, provide information about the shrine, or assist with various needs.

The duties performed by priests and maidens are centred around maintaining the spiritual connection between the kami, the shrine, and the worshipers, as well as facilitating the religious rituals and practices of Shinto.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?

Before entering a Shinto shrine, it is customary to purify oneself at the purification trough, known as the temizuya or chozuya.

The first step is to fill the ladle, take the ladle resting on top of the water basin with your right hand and fill it with fresh water. One ladleful should be enough to perform the whole ritual. Next, wash your hands, position your hands away from the basin, as to avoid pouring used water back into the basin. Slowly pour the water over your left hand, then switch hands and use your left hand to pour water onto your right hand. Rinse the mouth. Visitor’s mouth should never touch the ladle, so pour some water from your ladle in a cupped hand. Then from the cupped hand, transfer the water into your mouth. Rinse and spit the water onto the rocks. Make sure you don't drink the water. Lastly, clean the ladle. Tip the remaining water in the ladle vertically so the water flows down the handle of the ladle. Put the ladle back on the fountain, and the ritual is complete.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

Offerings to the kami in Shinto are an essential part of religious practices and rituals. They are meant to show respect, gratitude, and seek the blessings of the kami. Here is a general overview of how offerings to the kami are performed in Shinto:

Selection of offerings, they can vary depending on the purpose of the ritual, the specific kami being honoured. Common offerings include rice, sake, fruits, vegetables, salt, fish, and symbolic items such as branches, flowers, or sacred objects associated with the shrine. Then, you must prepare of the Offering, the offering is usually presented in a respectful and aesthetically pleasing manner. Fruits and vegetables may be washed, polished, and arranged neatly. Rice and sake are often placed in special containers or vessels. After this, you may approach the Shrine, when offering the items, approach the shrine and bow before the shrine to show respect to the kami and express your intention to make an offering. After this, do the presentation of the offering and place the offering in front of the shrine or on the altar. Then, you must express prayers and Intentions and after presenting the offering, you may offer prayers or express your intentions. And lastly, closing the ritual, once you have concluded your prayers and expressed your intentions, take a step back from the offering and bow respectfully to the shrine.

After the offering ritual, the items may be handled according to the specific customs of the shrine.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

The tea ceremony, known as "chado" or "sado" in Japanese, is a highly ritualised and aesthetic practice that involves the preparation and serving of matcha, a powdered green tea. Initially, prepare tea as usual by filling the kettle with water, letting it come to a boil, and then stirring in the tea bags. When everything is set up, you should position the teacups in front of the guest(s) and yourself, hold the kettle in one hand with the spout directed away from them, and then slowly turn the kettle so that the spout is facing the guest(s). After that, you should pour the tea first for the visitor(s), then for yourself, giving them the opportunity to sip before you do. The four components of any ceremony are always harmony, respect, tranquility, and purity.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi:

Tamagushi refers to a ritual offering made of sakaki tree branches with shide paper streamers attached to them. The act of offering Tamagushi is a way to show respect and gratitude to the kami (deities) during Shinto rituals and ceremonies. Tamagushi is typically presented at shrines as an act of reverence and to seek blessings from the kami.

Ofuda:

Ofuda, also known as o-fuda, are sacred amulets or talismans commonly found in Shinto and Buddhist practices. Ofuda is a paper that you stick or hang on the walls of your household to bless it with a certain protection or spirit that delivers you from harm. It is also sometimes called shinpu and it has a very strong connection to Shinto shrines because the writing inscribed on it calls upon the same spirit or deity that particular shrines honor. It is believed that placing an ofuda in your household alter welcomes the spirit or kami written on it to your home.

Kagura Suzu:

Kagura suzu are a set of twelve bells used in kagura dance. The set consists of three tiers of bells suspended by coiled brass wires from a central handle with two bells on the top tier, four bells on the middle tier, and six bells for the bottom tier.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

I’d have to say Tenjin (Sugawara no Michizane): Tenjin is a kami associated with scholarship, learning, and education. He is revered as the deity of calligraphy, poetry, and academic pursuits. Many students and scholars pay homage to Tenjin for academic success. Considering my character’s personality and events that happened in her life, this one’s the best fit.
───────────────────────────────────────

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Using an AI for an application is not allowed in any faction on SRP. Next time you apply for the shrine, write everything yourself. It doesn't have to be perfect.​

Users who are viewing this thread