Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):

bethecreature, wethecreature

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
wethecreature#6625

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
MST

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
I prefer not to speak in voice calls but I am perfectly fine listening in.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I would say my activity is a 7-8. I am on around half of the week and try to balance out my different roles and characters. I am currently a Teacher.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shinkan

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I have been a member of the Shrine before, and it taught me SO much about Shintoism when I had absolutely no idea. Although I know a lot about it after my 3-4 months in Shrine, I am ALWAYS prepared to learn more. I know a lot about rituals, common practices, relics, and many folktales and myths, and I also have a fair amount of knowledge about the Karakura version of Shintoism.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I have previous experience in this role, and through that experience, I have learned a large amount about the religion of Shintoism. I know a lot about how shrine works and can be very helpful with guests due to this prior experience.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Absolutely.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTER FULL NAME:

Kalani Chao-Hidaka

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mrs., Ms., Ma'am, No Title

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Unmarried

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
030-007-3516

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
My motivation for applying for this job is so that I may further my knowledge and experience with religion and the supernatural, as well as give back to the community around me. I want to find somewhere to settle myself now that I live in a new place.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I have studied this subject thoroughly.

The shrine was built in the 700s by Buddhist Monks. It was later burnt down in the 1100s by the Buddhist monks inhabiting it to stage a rebellion, and later rebuilt in the 1200s. Far later, 350 years later, a local warlord burnt down the shrine to send a message to the people of Karakura.

Although the shrine has been through a lot, it still stands as a symbol of hope and purity in this dark town.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

Dear Inari Kyohanashima,

I am forever in your debt for offering these positions to the people of Karakura, as it is truly a blessing to be able to work in such a wonderful establishment. I assure you that I will be a suitable choice for the role of Shinkan within your shrine. I am quite scholarly and have been studying the subjects of Shintoism since I was young. My family is very diverse and has a lot of differing religious beliefs but at the moment I and those closest to me have found comfort within Shintoism, and I would be even more gracious for you to accept me for this role so that I may further acquaint myself with your unique and beautiful practices.

Sincerely,
Kalani Chao-Hikada

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Kalani Chao-Hikada was born on December 30th, 1995. She was born into a scholarly and well-known family. She was immediately put into school as soon as possible and was to begin her studies as soon as she could read and write. She studied religion from an early age, holding up the reputation of the family as quite knowledgeable in the realm of theology. As a member of a rich and important family, she was informed to be very reserved and "posh".

From the mannerisms and behavior of her family, Kalani formed a personality that was shelled up and extremely polite. To this day, she has remained to have an extremely reserved personality. Sometimes, a hint of entitlement of arrogance from the social

Kalani was never quite social and her main social contact was with her family, who acted rather similarly. She would later be sent away from the safety of her home to continue her studies at a university in Portugal. There she was able to gain some social skills but stayed reserved except within her small social circle. She returned to Japan at the age of twenty-two.

Later, when she returned to Japan, she decided to pursue her theology journey and work at a Shrine as a Miko. Kalani discovered that she did not enjoy doing chores that much, but was excited by the prospect of learning more about the supernatural.

Quickly, she realized being a Miko just wasn't what she wanted. She did not enjoy the work of cleaning all that much, and interactions with spirits were few.

Now it's time for her to pursue something new, as a Shinkan, and Karakura has everything she wants.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Priests typically work more with religious rituals, purification, weddings, et cetera.

Maidens typically work with chores and guests, as well as helping the priests. Maidens are trusted with dancing the Kagura Suzu, a sacred theatrical dance.

However some places Priest and Maidens share their duties. In many places, both Maidens and Priests investigate spiritual activity.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

When entering the shrine, you will find a trough of water where you must wash your hands before you enter. First, you must take a wooden ladle, and scoop up some water. Second, you will rinse your other hand with water, cleaning it, before doing the same thing for the other hand. Third, you wash out your mouth, then you clean the ladle. This is supposed to cleanse you. Now that you have finished, you may enter the shrine.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

The individual donating the offering either usually puts it into an offering box and rings the sacred bell, beckoning the Kami's presence into the hall of worship, or gives the offering to the priest and the priest acts as a gateway way between the individual and the Kami, beckoning them into the room.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

First, you must invite those you want to come a few weeks in advance, and during that time decide on utensils and decorations for the upcoming ceremony. Second, you must clean the room and set out utensils, as well as lay out the seasonal flowers. Third, Guests must wash their hands and spiritually prepare, before walking in through a small door. All guests must bow when they come in. Fourth, you will cleanse the utensils. Cleansing the utensils isn’t the act of cleaning them, as that has already been done beforehand. This is just symbolic. To do so, you must get The Fukasa (Silk Cloth) and wipe down each utensil one by one. Then you will put The Chasen (The Whisk) In The Chawen (Tea Bowl) with warm water. Fifth, you will then make the tea and give it to your guests, serving the important guests first until there is no tea left. Sixth, you will clean the utensils and tools, starting with The Chawin (Tea Bowl). The bowl is then given to the most principal guest to admire and then is passed on to the rest for them to admire. Lastly, after the ceremony is over, the guests will bow to the host and leave, it is also common for them to say thank you on the day after the ceremony. The tea bowl used during the ceremony will be presented to the guests in turn, which will then be passed down to the guests. When guests receive the tea bowl, the front of the bowl should be facing them. Once the guests have the bowl, it should be held in the right hand and then placed on the left palm. You should always bow and raise the tea bowl to the host once before sipping. To drink your tea, rotate the bowl clockwise, so the front is now not facing you. Take your first sip and compliment the host on their tea. Clean the lip of the bowl once you have sipped your tea and then turn the front of the bowl back to face the host. There is also a sitting position called seiza which you must sit in during the whole ceremony. This sitting position is crossing your legs and placing your heels underneath your bottom. For a tea ceremony, you should wear a Kimono (though this is a loose rule) and it is also advised that you wear socks, as you must take off your shoes when you enter the tea room.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi-
is a form of Shinto offering made from a sakaki tree branch decorated with strips of washi paper, silk, or cotton. At Japanese Weddings, funerals, and other ceremonies at Shinto shrines, Tamagushi are ritually presented to the
Kami
Ofuda- An Ofuda is a talisman made of many materials like cloth, wood, paper, or even metal. Ofuda are considered to be imbued with the power of gods and are commonly found in Shinto and Buddhist shrines.
Kagura Suzu- Kagura Suzu is a set of twelve bells used in the Kagura Dance. The set consists of three tiers of bells suspended by coiled brass wires from a central handle: two bells on the top tier, four bells on the middle tier, and six bells on the bottom tier.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Kuebiko - Kami of Folk Wisdom, Knowledge, and Agriculture
───────────────────────────────────────

I'm quite certain I'm not deleting the application this time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread