Rich
Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Staff Application

Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:

womanlover1499

DISCORD TAG:
ivette#0011

PREVIOUS BANS:
I have never been banned, therefore none.

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
Yes!

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
I’ll be applying for the role of a Shrine Maiden, more commonly known as a Miko.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I'm normally always active, on a scale it would probably be 4-6 hours per day. I have three accounts so I make time to roleplay on each one.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Regarding Shintoism itself, I know the basics of the religion. Although not too knowledgeable, I do know that it is a religion native to Japan that practices rituals on a daily basis. Shintoism is heavily dependent on traditions and I am more than prepared to learn about this religion, whether it be from training or interactions with fellow Shrine staff!

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?:
From the overall time I’ve been and spent on SRP, I would say that I have a good experience in detailrp along with other roleplays. I most often visit the Monastery when one of the maidens are there and place offerings into the offering box along with a prayer. I can offer good online activity along with helping others learn about the Monastery.

In-Character (IC) Information

FULL NAME:

Aera YingLu

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I am applying to work at the Monastery because I would like to learn more about the Monastery from my own personal view. There are only some things us citizens can do as a visitor but I want to be more than that, so being able to work there can improve what I already know about the monastery. For a few weeks now, I’ve been visiting the shrine whenever a shrine maiden was there, it was always so welcoming to be there. I’ve been wanting to involve myself into religion based roleplay since it’s quite amusing. I’m always interested in any roleplay but I want to experience something new which is why I have decided to apply!

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
Some history and information that I know of the monastery would be that mostly all of the structures within the Monastery were completely burnt, vanished, or in pieces. Though one stood and that being the original shrine for the Yama-No-Kami. This shrine specifically stands as the current highest structure within the grounds and closest to the kami, being that it was built into the mountain itself to shelter said kami. Another would be that the monastery was built way before civilization was established in the area. It was known to be a more of a spiritual place than others for its isolative place amidst nature in the forested mountains of Mt. Daichi and for its height; since it’s quite high, it was closer to the heavens. It was believed to be a place for plenty of gods to visit, though the grounds did belong to one god which was the Yama-no-Kami.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
Aera YingLu, born to Vahlis Jio and Joon YingLu, was an only child. Growing up Aera was like every other kid her age. At this age she had not known any greater struggle than having a bedtime, or more generally, strict parents. For Aera, having strict parents was both a blessing and a curse. For Aera, she found that her parents, in some sense, restricted her from truly developing her own personality, oftentimes feeling compressed into what her parents envisioned for her, rather than what she herself wished to do. Still, even so, Area did not yet face the challenges that the world had in store for her.

As time went past, Aera was already heading into adulthood. She no longer needed her parents' support to get by. Though she was paired with what life had taught her, it gave her a new demeanor. No longer did she indulge in the fun things she had once enjoyed. Now, instead of serving as a beam of joy, she had learned to blend in with the crowd, once again losing her sense of individuality. Instead of being happy-go-lucky she was now known to be cold, unforgiving, and even dull. At some point she began to regain her thoughts and freedom.. She started to live the life she always wanted to live. Aera started studying Shintoism and focused on becoming a Shrine Maiden some day.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Shrine lead,
I am writing to you regarding my current application to officially work at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. I have plenty of experience as a Shrine Maiden, and can confidently say that I am more than prepared to work at the Monastery. The main reason why I chose this specific location is because this Shrine practices more than one religion and by working here I’d be able to further pursue knowledge in different religions rather than just Shintoism.

Aera YingLu

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the shrine?

Certain steps vary depending on which shrine you are visiting but the most customary steps are to bow before each Torii that follows the pathway up towards the Monastery. After this, you are faced with a “Temizuya” which is a fountain in the front of the Monastery and wooden ladles for visitors to purify before they enter the Shrine Grounds. To start, you would grab the ladle with your right hand, scooping water as you pour it onto your left. Again, you would repeat this, but with your hands switched as you finally bring the tip of the ladle towards your mouth, rinsing it with the water before spitting the remainder onto the rocks below. Do note that you should tilt the ladle upwards to let the water flow down to clean it after you’ve used it.

How are rituals to a Kami performed?:
Offering to the Kami can be complicated at times. However, if you know the steps, it becomes much easier. The simple and traditional way to offer something to the Kami is to walk up to the offering box, placing whatever offering you would give to the Kami. (Example; 100 yen) After that, you would ring the bell in front of the Honden, before bowing twice. After this, you would clap twice and say your prayers. Once you are done, you bow once more to finish the ritual.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?:
Although both Shinto Priests and Shrine Maidens work and live together on shrine grounds, their jobs are much different in comparison to each other. For example, Shinto Priests are expected to socialize with other citizens and often travel outside of the Monastery much more compared to Shrine Maidens. Shrine Maidens are expected to usually stay in the Monastery, helping with rituals that are hosted by fellow Shinkans and can even host tea ceremonies.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
I would proceed to explain to them about Hatsumiyamairi, a traditional ritual that varies depending on their child’s gender. If their child is a girl, the ritual will be held exactly 33 days after they are born. If their child is a boy, the time-span would be reduced to 32 days. This ritual bestows the Kami’s protection for the rest of the child’s life.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
To begin, I would talk about the lore behind the Monastery itself, which can be further explained in this article. Next, I would start to talk about the origins of Shintoism itself, and how it came to be one of the most practiced religions in Japan. Daily life in Japan follows many traditions that can be traced back from Shintoism, which could be included in any examples that would be brought up.

What is the name of the Kami that resides at the Monastery?:
Currently, the Yama-no-Kami resides in the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.

Last edited:

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you havent already (as we've moved to the Town Discord), go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Miko role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread