mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Your characters aren't you!!! By Melon!!

TheMelonQueen1

Level 9
MelanTheMelon
MelanTheMelon
Omega+
WHAT? Melon what does that mean???

Well let me tell ya! A lot of times in SRP I'll be roleplaying, as most do. And then I hear people talking about their characters as if they are themself? Like In their actions /me I would then attack here, and I would do this. That's like nawt kewl. When you start to believe you are your character, or they are a piece of you, it makes it WAY too easy to take things from ic to ooc. I myself, Play a BUNCH of very strong and bold characters (Not me irl Im scared of everything.) But they are rude, and are gonna be out there to hurt your character's feelings. If you know me thats not my intentions at ALL oocly, I joke around and make goofy fun times. Now if you get upset by icly insults, you have two options. Well three. . if the insult is against SRP rules PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report that person to staff, But the other two are take a step back, think about how it's to your CHARACTER and not you. Then go back into the situation and roleplay it correctly, Number two is to well . . If it triggers you, or upsets trauma you have with a certain subject, PLEASE mention it oocly! /looc "Hey that really triggered something in me, could we change the subject?" Or even "Hey that really upset me oocly, Can we void this and go different ways?" Then WALK away!! You are in a game, you can always leave, or just talk it out! We are playing this VIDEO GAME to have fun! The moment fun is removed, then you aren't playing you are WORKING.

COMMUNICATION!!!

COMMUNICATION IS IMPORTANT!! Guys, I see so many people going back to their friends to talk about something they don't like about a person. Whether thats icly or oocly. If you have an issue please POLITELY talk to the person, it's not that hard! I know it's scary but if issues rise a ticket with staff is ONE command away. Please just talk it out, no one wants to be gossiped about, no one wants rumors being spread. And if it's all icly . . Please stop and think. You are NOT your character. And if you ARE your character, then you need to change that. When you have an emotional connection to that character it limits roleplay. You force your characters safety, whether in gangrp or just . . conversations, If you lose you might get really mad. It shouldn't be like that! Most arguments I laugh about in looc while I'm roleplaying them out! You should be able to talk it out in looc, while your characters butt heads. You two aren't fighting, your characters are. Toxicity on any side shouldn't exist! We are all playing a Minecraft Roleplay Server for some relaxing fun, so everyone around you has a common interest, why not make some new friends?

Understanding!

Understand if someone has rude characters, Jock characters, Delinquents or just. . not nice characters. That doesn't mean they are rude irl. Now in the case someone is, take a second and think. Man that's a rude character. . it takes a certain MINDSET to put on that show. Now those who do play mean characters PLEASE try to be self aware if it's affecting how you speak oocly. You don't want to not knowingly be rude. And if someones BEING rude communicate! Tell them nicely, "Hey It's coming of a little rude, could you use /j to help me determine your tones?" And if well . . they feel like being jerks still THEN say something to staff don't argue back, don't get them back, just mention it to staff, "Hey I was tryna roleplay with this person (IGN) And they were a little rude, even after I mentioned it to them." Staff has guidance don't be afraid to mention things to them! Always provide with proof aswell. . staff loves to help but if they have no proof how can they?

LAST BUT NOT LEAST! Drink water, and have a nice day. This wasn't meant to upset or anger anyone. If it does it might be because it's YOU who this applys to, If it does just recollect your thoughts, Maybe I'm right maybe I'm not. You can always choose to NOT look at it!

Popo

Level 63
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
Screenshot_2024-08-06-09-03-29-317-edit_com.zhiliaoapp.musically.jpg
Bonding with your character to the point of believing that you and your character are one, or getting extremely attached to said character is very unhealthy for roleplay. At the same time, there are a lot of roleplayers who play various characters; some aren't nice at all, some are sociopaths. That's fine, but that doesn't mean they're reciprocating how they are like in real life.

ErikFinster

Level 175
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
I've come across a concept called BLEED many many years ago.
It's when emotions and thoughts, or actions from your character spill over into your real life or vice versa.
People differ between two kinds:

Bleed In
Your characters' feelings affect you personally.
For example: Your character is sad or angry and you might start to feel sad or angry in real life, even though it’s just a game.

Bleed Out
Your real-life emotions affect how you play your character.
For instance if you’re having a rough day and you might unintentionally make your character act grumpier or meaner than usual.

Bleed can make roleplaying more intense and realistic, but it can also cause problems - usually when it blurs the line between the game and reality. (I've seen it too many times as a Dungeons and Dragons Game Master.) Even people with lots of roleplay experience under their belt can still be affected by bleed, since immersion and agency strongly correlate with bleed. It’s important to see and reflect and recognize when it’s happening. There are ways to manage it. Taking a break. Talking things through. Interspercing IC actions with lots of LOOC talk, checking in on the other person, asking them how they expect this scene to go, etc, reminding them that they can step out of the magic circle anytime.

It really comes down to how mature people are about playing games. (while I have to admit, that I know a lot of adult roleplayers who still struggle with this.)
Distance allows us to remove action from emotion. If you want a more level-headed RP, you make sure to allow for lots of relaxed and playful banter or level-headed inquiries in betweeny our dramatic scenes. And since we sadly can't influence the maturity others, all you can do is offer more /looc yourself in those situations.

edit:
there are many good sources on bleed on the internet, but if you want to go academic, here is a more recent paper from scandinavia
[GD master thesis]
It's pretty good, it touches on identity theory, schemas, transformative play, etc.!

Last edited:

ilovemyplane

Level 103
ilovemyplanex2
ilovemyplanex2
Omega+
Bleed In
For example: Your character is sad or angry and you might start to feel sad or angry in real life, even though it’s just a game.
I was told that I was a good actor because of this when I was a kid
I may or may not have it still affect me because of how attached I am to my characters but trust it does NOT affect my IRL relationships w these people
Lil edit but that also includes like how I interact with them OOC........... If I'm upset at their character IC, it doesn't affect how I view them OOC. I'm not unhealthily attached to the characters in that regard

ErikFinster

Level 175
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
I was told that I was a good actor because of this when I was a kid
I may or may not have it still affect me because of how attached I am to my characters but trust it does NOT affect my IRL relationships w these people
Lil edit but that also includes like how I interact with them OOC........... If I'm upset at their character IC, it doesn't affect how I view them OOC. I'm not unhealthily attached to the characters in that regard
Method actors utilize and master this when they allow their characters to bleed into them.
It's a risky move and there are some actors who think it's unprofessional to allow for bleed, since it removes an element of control.
I compliment you to your healthy and detached stance when it comes to your characters! (。^‿^。)

Generally, I think SRP is a place where experienced and VERY unexperienced players mingle with each other.
It certainly takes the playfullness out of SRP when roleplay constantly leads to IRL hurt feelings and toxicity.
And not everyone comes with a great deal of experience on how to deal with simulated scenarios, to be fair.
I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often, with a server this size!

urufu

Level 7
Urrufu
Urrufu
Rich
Real asf!! Separating OOC and IC is super important in communities like these. I
I've come across a concept called BLEED many many years ago.
It's when emotions and thoughts, or actions from your character spill over into your real life or vice versa.
People differ between two kinds:

Bleed In

Bleed Out
Your real-life emotions affect how you play your character.
For instance if you’re having a rough day and you might unintentionally make your character act grumpier or meaner than usual.

Bleed can make roleplaying more intense and realistic, but it can also cause problems - usually when it blurs the line between the game and reality. (I've seen it too many times as a Dungeons and Dragons Game Master.) Even people with lots of roleplay experience under their belt can still be affected by bleed, since immersion and agency strongly correlate with bleed. It’s important to see and reflect and recognize when it’s happening. There are ways to manage it. Taking a break. Talking things through. Interspercing IC actions with lots of LOOC talk, checking in on the other person, asking them how they expect this scene to go, etc, reminding them that they can step out of the magic circle anytime.

It really comes down to how mature people are about playing games. (while I have to admit, that I know a lot of adult roleplayers who still struggle with this.)
Distance allows us to remove action from emotion. If you want a more level-headed RP, you make sure to allow for lots of relaxed and playful banter or level-headed inquiries in betweeny our dramatic scenes. And since we sadly can't influence the maturity others, all you can do is offer more /looc yourself in those situations.

OMG bleed in is so real :(( Whenever something sad happens to my character I get sad as well OOC :,)

Also, I DM dnd games aswell :3

Yonio

Level 330
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
I like erik's concept of "bleeding". Imagine it like a piece of paper that you're painting on, but the canvas isn't thick enough so your paint goes over to the one behind it. This is a similar case; people's canvases are too thin and therefore things that happen in one realm carry over to the other.

My take on it is that, when roleplaying, you must view your journey as if you were writing a book whose ending you don't know. When reading a book, you know a character is the one talking, not you. Yes, there are times when immersion is certainly appreciated, but this is only because you're the only one reading the book. SRP is different, as there are around 250-300 daily readers.

If your character is damaged in any way, or goes through any sort of trauma, you should step back from them and think from a literary point of view. Don't let your own emotions impact how your character reacts. Critics would most definitely point it out in your reviews and not want to read your books anymore.

! salty

Level 46
s4ltyroll
s4ltyroll
Notable
ok while i DO agree with this thread;

/me I would then attack here, and I would do this.
that's a way to rp, frequently used on other platforms. it's not somebody thinking that they're their character, more-so just a way to action. i think other platforms are MORE disconnected with their characters compared to srp

kustomzero

Level 145
UrAJinx
UrAJinx
Omega

that's a way to rp, frequently used on other platforms. it's not somebody thinking that they're their character, more-so just a way to action. i think other platforms are MORE disconnected with their characters compared to srp
/me I would then attack here, and I would do this.
This is called 1st person. Have you not heard of it? There is 1st person which contains using the words "I/me/my" then theres 2nd person which contains using the words "you/your/yours" finally there is 3rd person which uses the words "she/him/it"

Someone using 1st person does not mean they are acting like their character, its just another form of writing. :)

Lunameowrp

Level 19
Iluhpurple
Iluhpurple
Fundraiser

I might agree on that too As a player who played a year ago I would sometimes get angry like last year now i taught myself to not be angry about games

Users who are viewing this thread