SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
fleajuice

DISCORD NAME & TAG: fleajuice

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: EST - Eastern Standard Time

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: I do

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER: I am on as much as I can be with my daily life. I try to be on every day for several hours, and I am mostly able to be. Other than the times I am unable to get online, I am either with family, personal relationships, or busy doing something else.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: Shrine Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?: I am more than willing to learn more about the Religion, and I am also more than prepared. So far, I know a few things that I have learnt from doing research over the past few days. A couple things I know about the religion are as following.
Shintō, which is a religious belief in Japan, came into use in order to distinguish indigenous Japanese beliefs from Buddhism. Shintō translates to "The way of Kami" or "The way of the Gods", and "Kami" generally means "sacred or divine power", specifically the various gods or deities. The religion was introduced into Japan in the 6th century CE, and is still well known in the world we live in today. As estimated, 80% of the population in Japan follow Shintō rituals to some degree, worshiping ancestors and spirits at domestic altars and public shrines. People in Japan that follow the religion Shintoism are said to still be performing rituals to keep away the evil spirits by performing purification, prayers and offerings to the Kami. Shintoism is the belief that humans are fundamentally good, and evil is believed to be caused by evil spirits. Following the previous statement, that is why about 80% of the population in Japan perform rituals and follow the religion of Shintoism.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS? I stand out from other applicants because of my knowledge of Shintoism. I feel as though I roleplay differently from a lot of people on SchoolRP because of my sense of humor, kindness and outgoingness. I love meeting new people as well as caring for them, so this is the perfect opportunity for me.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?: "I do."
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
"My name is Meribel Moulin!"

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): "I use Miss!"

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): OOCLY ANSWER:
18, but I am looking for the age of 25.

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: "I am single as of now."

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: "I was born and raised in France, making me French."

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: (030) - 811- 9838

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?: "I am very motivated to learn more about the religion, and act as such. I am a very outgoing individual, and I love talking to and meeting new people. To be able to get the opportunity to become a Shrine Maiden is something I will not pass. I have always wanted to become a Shrine Maiden, and now have the motivation to do such. Learning about Shintoism for my whole life has done more than peak my interest. I have always loved Japan and the culture as well as the beliefs, and knowing and learning more about it every day has been very interesting and has motivated me to apply for this position."

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY: The history and knowledge I know so far about "the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery are as following.
Having been protected by its Kami for centuries, the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery has been rebuilt several times by notable clans and individuals who are no longer remembered. As it stands today, the shrine lies at the base of Mount Kohaku, with a famous bridge that overlooks the Ochiba forest and the Eien Springs, reputed to grant eternal life to those who drink from them."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
"
Dearest head of monastery,
My name is Meribel Moulin. I am more than interested in and devoted to joining the monastery. Growing up in an abusive household, I had to find something to focus on and put all of my interest into. After searching for topics to be fixated on, I found the religion of Shintoism. Seeing pictures of Japanese shrines, Japan scenery and how gorgeous and pure the Maidens looked ever since I was a child, I have always been interested in it. Becoming infatuated by the religion of Shintoism, it did more than peak my interest. Reading more about what it is to be a Shrine Maiden and their duties, I became more obsessed with the religion day by day. Reading about everything I could do to become a Shrine Maiden, people I look up to, I set my mind to learn more about the religion and become a Shrine Maiden. I moved to Japan a few years back to see the Shrines and the Maidens for myself, and I came across a Shrine Maiden who changed my perspective of life forever. Seeing how pure and refined she looked, I couldn't help myself. I walked up to her, and politely greeted her, introducing myself. Being swept off of my own feet from the sight of a Shrine Maiden in front of my own eyes, I was speechless. The Maiden, looking me in my eyes and tilting her head, she smiled ever so softly, making my heart flutter. Though she looked rather worried, she continued to smile. After a minute or so of me being speechless, I finally was able to build up the courage to speak. Before I could get even a word out, she interrupted me. I still remember this day as if it was yesterday. The lovely Shrine Maiden spoke to me saying "You seem quite troubled.. is everything alright?" Without me being able to control my emotions, tears slowly began to slip from my eyes. I took a few deep breaths and explained to her what had happened to be when I was a child. Telling her everything I could remember about being mentally and physically abused by my own parents, She took everything in with so much understanding that it made it feel like a giant weight was off of my chest. Telling her everything about my fixation on Shrine Maidens and moving to Japan to become one, she was so kind and understanding. After talking to her for a while, she told me that she believes I would be a great Maiden. After hearing those words from someone I looked up to, I was so moved and determined to continue my destiny in becoming one. Moving to Japan was my biggest success in life and I am more than confident in my abilities to become a Shrine Maiden. I am more than determined to learn more about and teach others about Shintoism, and I have set my hopes and dreams to become one.
I thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I hope to hear back from you soon."

BACKSTORY (100+ Words): OOC ANSWER AS SHE IS NOT COMFORTABLE TALKING ABOUT IT:
When Meribel Moulin was born, the doctor told her parents that she was a very healthy and beautiful little girl, and they were more than happy. After a few days in the hospital, Meribel's parents, who met in Korea, went back to their lovely home in France. Growing up with loving and caring parents, Meribel was always a happy child. Participating in extracurricular activities in school such as Volleyball and Basketball, she was always fit and taken care of. After years have passed and Meribel being a teenager, everything slowly started going wrong for her. Her mother got pregnant with another baby girl, and they were all so excited to meet her. After 20 weeks of pregnancy, her mother went to the hospital after having contractions so bad she could barely stand. She was admitted to the emergency room, knowing she was in labor. She spent a total of 12 hours trying her absolute best to deliver her baby into the world. Then, the unspeakable happened. The doctors broke the news to Meribel's family; informing them that their beloved baby girl was a stillborn. After weeks of despair in their once comfortable and beloved home, everything went wrong. Meribel's parents started fighting. Throwing things and yelling at each other, Meribel got involved to defend her mother. Her dad not liking that, he began to yell at Meribel as well. Pushing her around and slapping her around, Meribel was petrified of her own father. This going on for months, she couldn't begin to trust or love him nearly as much as she used to. Being scared of her own father, she needed something to be fixated on to distract herself from the reality. She began to study and learn more about Japan and it's culture as well as it's Shrines and Maidens. Becoming obsessed with this, Meribel was more than determined to fulfill her dream in becoming one of the people that she looked up to. Though Meribel wanted to move to Japan, she couldn't do that because of her mother's health; and she cared more about her than herself. She got a job to support her mother and get her out of their abusive household. Just before she had enough money to move herself and her mother out, her mother unfortunately passed away after being sick for months. After taking months off of work to focus on her mental health, she was ready to go back and continue to save up to fend for herself and get away from her father. Several months have passed and she was finally ready to move. Having planned to move somewhere else in France, she had changed her mind and decided to do what she had originally planned for herself and moved to Japan.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
"They have the duties of being an officiate at all shrine ceremonies on behalf of worshippers."

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?: "
By taking a wooden dipper into your right hand and scooping up some water, the next step is to wash your left hand before your right. Taking the wooden dipper into your left hand and washing your right, you then switch the wooden dipper back into your right hand before pouring it into your left hand to wash out your mouth. The next step of purification is to wash the handle of the wooden dipper and place it back onto the basin with the scoop side down. The importance of washing the handle is so that the next person to purify themselves are guaranteed cleanliness."

How are offerings to a Kami performed?: "By giving food and/or drinks to the staff of the shrine, the Shinto will be in charge of offering those who set offerings to the deities."

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?: "By picking up the tea bowl with your right hand, you place it into your left palm, turning it clockwise about 90 degrees so that the front of the tea cup is not facing you anymore, you drink the tea with a few sips and place it back onto the tatami."

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for: "The Kagura Suzu are a set of twelve bells used in Kagura dance. Tamagushi is a tool used for a type of offering presented on the occasion of paying formal worship to a deity. Ofuda is a type of talisman printed onto a small piece of paper. It is intended for multiple things such as protection against calamity, safety within your home and even finding love."

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?: "I worship the fox spirits as I feel the most connected to them."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread