II_Heimdallr_II
II_Heimdallr_II
Notable
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
II_Heimdallr_II

DISCORD NAME & TAG: m4y0___

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: GMT+2

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: I do have one but I’m not as comfortable using. Though if needed, I would use it.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER: I’d say I’m pretty active. I’m on SchoolRP for at least 4-6 hours a day. I’m usually on after 4PM.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

I would say I know quite a few things about Shintoism, or at least the basics. I’m a very curious person and I love learning new things, especially when it’s related to building structure. I love learning the history behind a specific structure or object, especially when it comes to Shintoism. For me Shintoism is not only a religion but a part of Japan’s culture as it has existed for at least 2000 years. I’ve seen many youtube videos and done research about Shintoism as I’ve always found Japan’s culture interesting!
  • Talking about features of Shinto Shrines/Jinja, I know that there are different type of gates, such as the ‘myojin torii’ gate which is the most common, the ‘miwa torii’ which is a triple ga te, the ‘ryobu torii' gate stands in water. All these three gates are from the same family, the “Myojin family”. The other family is the “Shinmei family” and the only one that I remember well is the ‘Shime torii’ which is a simple gate of two pillars where shimenawa hangs from it.​
  • There’s also other structural features such as honden which is the main hall of a shrine that usually contains a picture of the kami that is worshipped there. I know that the honden is divided in two areas. The inner part where I believe no one can enter. The outer part is opened for special occasions only.​
  • There’s also the “Ema Wall” where shrine guests can write down their wishes on a wooden plate and hang it on that wall. They usually like to wish for love, fortune, good finance, good grades, health, not only for themselves but other people too!​
  • The shimenawa is a straw rope with papers in a zigzag-like paper called shide, that hangs from it. It can be found on stones, around sacred trees and torii gates etc. It’s usually used to seal off a yokai/spirit and or even a kami or put boundaries between that sacred space and humans.​
  • There is also the “Purification fountain” where it is usually found right before or near the entrance of a shrine. Shrine visitors or anyone in general has to ‘purify’ or cleanse their hands and sometimes the mouth in a purification fountain. Some people skip it, but it may count as disrespectful if you do so.​
  • Talking about festivals, there’s many that are held in the shrine throughout the year. Some of the major ones that I know of are the, “Spring festival - Haru Matsuri”, the “Autumn festival - Haru Matsuri”, the “Annual festival - Rei-Sai” and there’s also other ones such as the “Cherry Blossom Festival”, the “Sapporo Snow festival” an the “Gion Matsuri” and the “Oshogatsu” which is a new year festival. In these festivals, people can pray in Shinto shrines for good fortune, wealth etc. They can also get fortune slips to see how their luck is going to go this year. People can get omamori, I believe fireworks and lanterns from Shrine shops but in festivals they can get snacks as well!​
  • But of course Shrine visitors have to follow etiquette when at the shrine or in other words, be respectful. I mentioned the Purification fountains earlier, so the first thing to do is purify yourself before entering a shrine.​
  • You also have to bow once, before passing a torii gate but it is advised to pass a bit to the left and not at the center.​
  • Now if you want to pray in a Shinto shrine, the first thing you have to do is stand in front of the offering box. Then, you ring the bell, usually 2 times. After that you bow deeply twice before clapping twice. You pay your respects to the kami and then deeply bow once and that’s how you pray!​
  • One thing I know is that there’s many types of Kami. Kami aren’t exactly gods but they are definitely god-like. Each shrine around Japan worships a different Kami. There is a kami for everything, so 8 million Kami exist. There are also three types of kami. The Amatsukami who are the heavenly deities, the Kunitsukami who are the deities of the Earthly realm and the A-o-yorozu No Kami who are the countless kami! But, the most important kami in Shintoism is Amaterasu, the Kami of the sun.​

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
Everyone has something that makes them stand out, and I believe mine is my big interest in Shintoism or learning new things in general. Karakura’s lore is interesting and so is the shrine’s. I think that my character would be a great addition in the shrine and since she is a social and happy person that likes to talk to new people. She also knows stuff about the shrine and she has seen a kami too. I’d say she’s familiar with the place and is on good terms with a few staff. She may act silly too but that’s just her nature, she’s of course respectful and almost all the time follows the rules. I also mainly play only one character so I will have plenty of time to roleplay as a maiden and be focused on that role specifically.
DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?: Of course, it’s very important to learn more things about Shintoism and the customs of Shinsei Seinaru Monastery as each Shrine has some different rules than other shrines. I think that it would be very fun to be taught more about Shintoism and the procedures since I find it very interesting!
───────────────────────────────────────

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Mikan Jinja

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Miss

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 21

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: (030)-720-8115

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?: “I have been visiting the shrine almost every day and I have to say that I love it already. In my opinion the environment of the shrine is very calm and relaxing. Even rain feels more relaxing to me as it does in the inner part of Karakura. I have gotten to know some of the shrine staff, maybe not personally but they are all so friendly. Each one of them has their own personality that makes them stand out, some staff are rather quiet, some sweet, some are very honest but all of them together make the shrine’s aura feel balanced. I would love to get to know them better and be around them because I feel.. much safer, or well, it feels more like home. I also am a religious person, a Shinto. I was born in Chatan, Okinawa and lived there until I was 12. In Chatan we had two shrines, the Yamauchi Shinto shrine and the Futenma Shrine, but the first one was closer to where I lived. I’d go there everyday to pay my respects. A particular maiden that always greeted me was an old granny and she was very welcoming. She has taught me a lot of stuff about Shintoism and shrine etiquette but I unfortunately have forgotten about some stuff because when I was 12 I moved to Hong Kong where I wasn’t so much in touch with Shintoism. My main motivation for applying to work at the Monastery is to remember the things that she taught me but also learn more. For me personally, Shintoism isn’t just a religion but my culture too. It has always been in my life and I wish to learn more.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery is the local Shinto shrine of Karakura. The kami that is worshiped is called Chiharu Yamatsumi. I believe there are also 3-4 other kami that reside there, one of them being named Kitsa. These kami protect the shrine and us. The Monastery was first built in the year 744 by some Buddhist monks and it is one of the oldest structures in Karakura.“

“The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery consists of many buildings, them being a tea house, a dojo, the gift shop and living quarters for the shrine staff. But of course in the center of the monastery, there is the hall of worship. This building contains a saisen, also known as an offering box, and a suzu also known as the bell that hangs from a rope. When praying, by ringing that bell, you let the kami know about your prayers and gratitude and they also hear your wishes.”

“Going up the mountain, you will find yourself in a building that is from the old monastery that was burned down in 1176 and it was one of the two times in Karakura’s history that the Monastery was burnt to ashes. That building is believed to be the closest to the heart of the Kami and because of that it was the one that was the most protected by that Kami. In 1228, the monastery was re-constructed but now it had the name ‘Kisune Monastery’ but unfortunately in 1578 it was destroyed again as a message to the people of Karakura who did riots. About 30 years later, the Monastery was re-built and it was then named as we call it now, ‘Shinsei Seinaru Monastery’. It is a very important place to the people of Karakura and the city’s history.”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Monastery Lead,

"I write this letter with my best regards, I wish you a wonderful evening. My name is Mikan Jinja and I am a student in Karakura. Originally from Chatan, Okinawa, I came here in Karakura to seek better education and an opportunity for a job. I hope I can be a great addition to the shrine and I will do my best to keep it tidy and peaceful, as it is a place of peace for Karakurans. I've always been around this religion and I learnt that we have to be respectful towards the people we are around but also our deities that protect us. I wish to lend a hand and have my arms open for anyone who is need of help that comes to the Monastery. I'm here to give hospitality, warmth and joy. I would be very grateful if you take this letter into consideration and I hope it reaches you and if you do so, take your time."

With kind regards,
Mikan Jinja

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

“I was born in Chatan, Okinawa, Japan. I’ve lived there with my older sister who is 6 years older than me, Momoka, and my parents, Koharu and Rito. We used to live in a traditional Japanese house with a beautiful garden. We also had a small pond where we had koi fish. Our home looked very much like a Shinto shrine. I’ve been in touch with Shintoism ever since I was a little girl, and after I started going to elementary school, I would always visit the local shrine in Chatan, called Yamauchi Shrine. One reason why I loved the shrine was because there was a maiden of old age that greeted me with a warm smile, she was like family to me. She taught me a lot of stuff about Shintoism and its history. She also taught me how to paint in the traditional style of “Nihonga”. I still draw to this day in that artstyle, but not so often. Mainly in special events and festivals to make it more special. I was very talented as a kid when it came to art, I loved art and painting in general. Unfortunately, I didn’t keep much of the knowledge that was given to me by that old maiden as I was too young to understand it and so it was like a fairytale to me. She would tell me the stories of yokai, oni and kami and it was very interesting, yet I was too young to hold onto it after I moved away to Hong Kong with my family when I was 12, after finishing elementary school. I moved there because of my dad who had found a job. We didn’t sell our old home, but we rather let my aunt, uncle and cousin live there. In Hong Kong I wasn’t that much in touch with Shintoism, only at home. Me and my mom did perform tea ceremonies and we of course went back to Japan for vacation for certain festivals and events so I could also see my old friends and so we could spend time with our relatives. My family was well off so it wasn’t difficult for us to find a home, but since we rented it, it was not possible to alter it that much, so it could feel like home. Over time, it became a second home for me, somewhere where I felt safe and happy. I wasn’t as happy as I was back in Chatan and I had a culture shock too. It was difficult for me to learn Cantonese too but overtime I managed as I knew I had to. I learned the language by watching TV shows and the news but also other series and movies in local channels in Hong Kong. At school, there was also another girl that was Japanese and she helped me understand the lessons, take notes and study. I am very grateful to her, but ever since I moved back to Japan I haven’t seen her. Me and my family came back to Japan when I was 17 years old, and we went back to Chatan, Okinawa. For a few months I worked as a designer in tattoo shops and I also did custom drawings for people, in the “Nihonga” artstyle, as I said earlier. I needed some money. The reason for that is because I wanted to learn the struggles and not take money from my parents even if they had plenty to give me. I wanted to face life since I was a year away from being an adult. After gathering enough money for the tickets needed to go to Karakura, I arrived in Karakura, to continue highschool here and go to college. I didn’t have anything specific in mind on what to do after college, as my hobbies are painting and fashion. After exploring Karakura on my own for a while, after trying to find something that feels like home, I’ve found the shrine. Somewhere where it reminds me of Chatan, my hometown. I am now living with my dear aunt, my mother’s sister, who welcomed me with warm hands and is willing to help me with anything. I am glad I at least have some of my family here.”

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

"Maidens - The Miko or commonly known as Shinto shrine Maidens have served in shrines mainly as shamanas, shrine maidens, spirit mediums, ritual dancers and shrine virgins. Their main duties are mostly to assist priests, welcome shrine visitors, clean the shrine, work in the Shrine shop to sell different amulets such as omamori and Japanese lanterns or lucky charms, assist in ritual prayers and rituals, and perform dances.”

"Priests - The Shinkoku or Kannushi, and or also known as Shinto shrine Priests have many different duties like the maidens. Priests are responsible for the maintenance of the shrine. They also participate in rituals, they also need to keep the shrine clean, remove weeds from the precincts so the kami are comfortable, work in the shrine shop to sell different amulets and lucky charms, prepare the next festival, offer food and drinks to the kami that resides in the shrine. But their main duty is to transmit people’s feelings to the kami.”

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

"The Sando - The Sando is the path that takes you in the main grounds of the shrine. It is advised you walk on the left side rather than in the center.
Torii Gate - The Torii gate is the entrance of sacred grounds. When being in front of a gate, you must bow before entering. That is paying respect to the Kami that is worshiped in the shrine but it is also like greeting it, since the shrine is its home. It is advised to walk on the left while passing a torii gate.”

“Why walk on the left of a sando, and while passing a Torii gate? The reason is because the middle of the path and the gate is the path where the deities pass, so therefore it is deemed disrespectful if you do otherwise.”

“Next, you will find yourself a temizuya or also known as a purification well. In that fountain you will need to cleanse or purify your hands and mouth. Keep in mind that blood, death and other things related to that are impurities that need to be washed away.”

“Temizuya - What do you need to do? Upon passing the last Torii gate you will find yourself this water basin that has clear water. Ladles (hishaku) are also laid in a line where you have to do some steps to purify yourself.”
  1. “Take a ladle with your right hand and fill it with water. Next, pour a bit of water in your left hand. Not all of the water, because you will need it.”​
  1. “Switch the ladle to your left hand and pour a little bit of water in your right hand.“​
3. “Again switch the ladle to your right hand and pour some water in your left hand and rinse your mouth well.”

4.“Pour a little water to your left hand again and then turn the ladle upright so that the water that is left rinses and cleans the ladle. At last, pour the remaining water on the side of the basin, not in the basin, and place it back on its place.”

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

“After continuing down the path, you will eventually find yourself in the main grounds of the shrine. In the mail hall entrance you will see a wooden box. That box is called a saisen and it is used to put your offering for the kami. The offering is usually yen, and it’s up to you how much yen you want to offer. Usually people offer. 5 yen, 100 yen or 500 yen.”

“But what are the steps to showing your gratitude and respect to the kami? How can you pray or wish for something? These are the steps:”
  1. “Toss your coin(s) in the offering box.”​
  2. “Ring the bell that is hanging from a rope. You can ring the bell 1-2 times.”​
  3. “Next, bow deeply twice, until you reach a 90° angle.”​
  4. “Clap twice and quietly. When you clap, make sure your right hand is a bit lower than your left one.”​
  5. “Pray. Don’t speak out loud. It can be a prayer, an oath or a wish, that is up to you, but make sure you do it in your head. Kami do not need to hear your words to listen to you.”​
  6. “At last, bow deeply once, until you reach a 90° angle.”​

“And that’s how you can show your gratitude and respect to a kami!”

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

"Tea ceremony - The Sado or also known as a tea ceremony ritual is a tradition where you prepare and drink matcha tea. This ritual is a way of shrine maidens to welcome shrine visitors.“

“The first thing is that you will need some equipment for a tea ceremony. These items are matcha, silk cloth, a tea caddy, a teapot, a ladle, a tea bowl and a tea whisk.
A few weeks before a tea ceremony, the maiden prepares the invitations and makes sure they are formal. She prepares the decor, selects the utensils and bowl but also orders sweets called wagashi that are similar to mochi.“

“Once the day of the tea ceremony arrives the maiden makes sure that the room is clean, fresh flowers are displayed and the equipment is laid down neatly.”

“The guests should also purify themselves before the tea ceremony. After it is time for the ceremony, the guests pass through a small door and then they are seated. Guests that are more experienced with tea ceremonies are served first and all of them are given sweets as the maiden welcomes them.”

“Once the tea ceremony starts the maiden will begin purifying the tea ceremony utensils, cleansing them one by one with the use of the fukusa or the silk cloth. The maiden also warms up the tea bowl with hot water to purify the whisk in the water.“

“Then, the maiden will proceed to prepare the match, using 2-3 scoops of matcha tea and a little bit of water before whisking it with the tea whisk that is called a chasen, until it becomes foamy. This creates the thick matcha which is also called koicha. This will be served to the guests until there is no tea left.”

“Next, the maiden will put about a teaspoon of matcha into one cup of water, this will create the usucha which is thin matcha. It will be served to the guests with turns.”

“After that, the maiden will clean the tea ceremony tools. The clean tea bowl will be handed to the guest that had made the booking of the tea ceremony first for them to admire and then it will be passed to the other guests.”

“Finally, when it’s the end of the tea ceremony the maiden will lead the guests out of the room, bowing to each guest as they leave. After one day, it is a custom for guests to thank the maiden for the hospitality.”

“One thing to note about the tea ceremonies that you should follow, is that it is best to not wear perfumes with a strong scent or any jewelry that could damage the tea equipment.”

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

"Tamagushi - The Tamagushi also known as a “jewel skewer” is a type of offering made from a sakaki-tree branch that is decorated with shide(zig zag shaped papers) of silk, cotton but most commonly paper. It is used at Japanese weddings, funerals, shrine visits for newbors that are called miyamairi and many many other ceremonies at shinto shrines. The tamagushi are presented to the kami with rituals usually by Shinto Priests and Shinto Maidens.”

"Ofuda - The Ofuda are a type of amulet. It is a slip of paper that is like a card. It’s like a talisman that could be made out of various materials such as wood cloth, metal or most commonly paper. The ofuda are found in Shinto shrines. These amulets are considered to be infused with the power of the deities/kami.”

"Kagura Suzu - The Kagura suzu is a set of twelve bells that is used in the kagura dance. It is a special ritual tool that is used to entertain deities by mainly maidens but also priests in ceremonies. This tool is mainly used to wake the kami and alert them of our presence. Kagura means deity entertainment and suzu means bells. The shape of the bells are thought to have been inspired by the fruits that grow in the ogatama tree.“

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?: My character, Mikan Jinja would mainly worship Ukemochi no Kami. That kami is the Goddess of Harvest. Her grandfather had a few rice fields. He would worship that Kami for good harvest and Mikan would also worship and pray to her to help her grandpa. When it was time to harvest the rice, it didn't matter if it went well or not, both Mikan and her grandpa would show their gratitude to Ukemochi No Kami. This Kami often is given the form a fox, thus why Mikan has a good connection with foxes. They knew that everytime they saw a fox around the time of harvest, they'd have a good harvest this year. Nowadays, people offer yen as an offering, but Mikan and her father offered rice, as it was done in the old times. If they had tea ceremonies after the harvesting of the rice, they would make sweets with rice flour from the rice they harvested, mainly mochi variants, for the guests, and would even offer some to Ukemochi to show how grateful they are.​

Users who are viewing this thread