radicalrainbow

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
radicalrainbow

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
[GMT-6] Central Standard Time {CST}

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, I do.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I've been playing on this server for over a year, and although I've had a long hiatus, I try to be quite active. Usually, I'm online for at least 2-5 hours practically every day, and even longer on days when I'm not busy with personal projects, especially during nights when I'm more available. I often play with my friends or simply wander the server exploring as my cat character. While I play multiple characters, I hope to dedicate more time to the server by joining a faction. If I do get this role, I'm certain I'll be online often.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Maiden.
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I am completely prepared to indulge in Shintoism! I did some light research on Shintoism, to be completely honest I didn’t know it existed till I found out months ago of what religion the shrine followed. It made me curious, so I learned more about it not just oocly but icly. It's an indigenous religion of Japan that focuses on the worship of Kami, which are spirits or deities believed to inhabit various natural phenomena, objects, and ancestors. It's also come to my knowledge that “Shinto” means “the way of the gods” or “the way of the kami” There's so many aspects to every religion, and I am more than willing to take the dedicated time to learn more about the religion as a whole.

I made sure to get some sources to what I've gathered this information from! Of course, not just from the main source of the link in game.
Source 1.
Source 2.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I believe I'm well-suited for this role because of my sociable nature within the community. I often find myself recognized by many people whom I hadn't even met before, not just in Discord servers but also in the game itself. I thoroughly enjoy engaging in roleplay with others, and I believe being in a faction would enhance that experience even further. While I haven't been in a faction yet, I feel that the Shrine is a wonderful and welcoming place to start. I've been spending more and more time visiting the shrine with my various characters, learning new things, and immersing myself in the magical experiences this faction offers.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, absolutely! And I’m certainly quite excited to learn more.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section
1710592623996.png1710592665320.png

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

“ My full name is Ophelia Blanc, the ‘c’ is silent in my last name.”

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
“I prefer to be addressed as Miss, as I’m not married.”

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
“I’m Thirty-five.”

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
“I’m in a loving relationship, dating a wonderful man.”

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
“My nationality is French.”

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
“My phone number is (030)-570-7873.”

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“I've decided to apply for maiden at the shrine and delve into the teachings of Shintoism.
For too long, I've felt adrift, seeking solace in art and literature but yearning for something deeper, something that resonates with my soul. The tranquility of the shrine calls to me, offering a sanctuary where I can reconnect with my spiritual side and find meaning beyond the pages of books. Perhaps in immersing myself in the rituals and traditions of Shintoism, I can finally find the inner peace and sense of belonging that has eluded me for so long. It's a journey of self-discovery and enlightenment, one that I undertake with both trepidation and excitement, knowing that it holds the promise of a profound transformation within myself. The first time I felt a calling to the religion itself was during my prime years of high school. It was my freshman year, and I had never quite been the young lady to conversate with my peers. I spent most of my days wandering the wonders of the grand library that took up the middle of the giant educational building. One day, as I was looking through the unexplored section of my choosing, I noticed a book layered thick in dust that seemed to have been untouched and unloved for many, many years. Suddenly, I felt as though I needed this book- it felt as if my heart and soul were reaching for it before my hands could even move. As I carefully took out my cloth and wiped off the surface, I saw that the title of the book was about one of the Kami that is worshipped in Shintoism. ‘Tenjin’. This book led to my deep, heartfelt dive into the religion that quickly took over my heart and mind.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery stands as a bastion of spiritual significance within the landscape of Shintoism, intertwining the sacred with the natural in profound ways. Dating back to 744, its origins trace back to the endeavors of Buddhist monks who sought to create a space where the divine essence of Kami could resonate with the earthly realm. This venerable structure, one of Karakura's oldest, embodies centuries of devotion and reverence, drawing pilgrims and seekers from far and wide.

My studies of Shintoism have led me to uncover the intricacies of the Kami, these spirits or forces of nature that inhabit both the tangible and intangible aspects of our world. Revered as manifestations of divine energy, Kami are believed to respond to human prayers and influence the course of natural forces and human events. The Shinto tradition posits the existence of an astounding eight million million Kami in Japan, each possessing unique qualities and significance.

Understanding the concept of Kami has been both enlightening and humbling. Kami can be beings or a quality inherent in beings, representing the essence of existence that permeates everything in the universe. While Kami are omnipresent, not all entities that contain Kami are considered Kami themselves; only those that exhibit their divine nature in a striking manner are revered as such.

At the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, the reverence for Kami is palpable in every facet of its existence. From the majestic hall of worship, where prayers are offered to the divine spirits, to the ancient shrine nestled within the mountains, Kami are venerated as the life-giving, harmonizing forces that imbue the monastery with sacred energy. This sacred complex serves as a conduit between the earthly and divine realms, fostering a sense of connection and reverence that transcends the boundaries of human understanding.

As I continue my journey of exploration within the hallowed halls of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, I am filled with a profound sense of awe and reverence for the intricate web of spiritual significance that it embodies. With each passing day, I am reminded of the boundless wisdom and beauty of Shintoism and the timeless truths that it imparts to those who seek to understand the mysteries of the universe."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
"Dear Leader of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. My name is Ophelia Blanc, and I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for the opportunity to become a part of your esteemed monastery as a shrine maiden.

As I embark on this journey of spiritual discovery, I am filled with both excitement and reverence for the teachings and traditions that the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery embodies. Your leadership and guidance are held in the highest regard, and I am eager to learn from your wisdom and experience.

I come to you with an open heart and a deep desire to deepen my understanding of Shintoism and to serve with humility and devotion. I hope that, under your tutelage, I may contribute to the sacred work of the monastery and honor the ancient rituals that bind us to the divine.

I am ready to dedicate myself wholeheartedly to the path that lies before me, guided by the light of your teachings and the blessings of the kami.

With deepest respect and gratitude,
Ophelia Blanc"

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Ophelia Blanc was born on March 15 in Paris, France, into a reasonably wealthy family. However, her life took a different turn from the very beginning. Unlike many children who enjoyed the love and affection of their parents, Ophelia wasn't as fortunate. While her parents weren't outright cruel, they seemed to lack an understanding of what it meant to raise children. Her older brother, who was a few years her senior, experienced a similar treatment, being treated more like possessions than proper children.

Affection and praise were granted, but always contingent on meeting their demands, a pattern Ophelia observed with her brother as well. The neglect of her emotional needs led her to develop a dislike for physical contact unless initiated by her. Although her parents provided material possessions, they fell short in providing the emotional support she needed.

As Ophelia grew older, her focus shifted towards her own goals, with praise from her parents becoming less significant. One constant source of comfort for her was books. She found solace in the world of literature, regardless of the genre. Her passion for books persisted upon entering college. Despite her parents' disapproval, Ophelia pursued her passion, majoring in Literature and art history. She excelled academically and exhibited great enthusiasm. However, after struggling to find suitable employment, she opted to become a nursing assistant through a year-long course.

Life became stagnant and mundane for Ophelia until the unexpected death of her parents. The funeral and grieving process were a blur, but the aftermath left her relationship with her brother strained, especially as they clashed over the will. Her inheritance became a source of contention, and her brother's attempts to claim part of it soured their relationship further.

Facing major life events and desiring a fresh start, Ophelia decided to leave her familiar surroundings. With her quick learning ability, she chose to study Japanese, filling her journal with plans and ideas. Eventually, she bid farewell to the large home she had always known and moved to Karakura, seeking a better life free from the haunting memories of her family and, especially, her brother.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

"Shinto priests play a vital role in conducting rituals and ceremonies within the shrine, overseeing everything from daily rituals to special occasions like purification ceremonies, festivals, weddings, and funerals. Their responsibilities extend to maintaining the spiritual well-being of the community and ensuring that the sacred traditions of Shintoism are upheld.

Shrine maidens' duties complement those of the priests. They serve as assistants during rituals, aiding in the smooth execution of ceremonies and providing support wherever needed. Additionally, shrine maidens have the privilege of performing the Kagura dance, a sacred dance dedicated to the Kami, further honoring the divine presence within the shrine.

In the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, shrine maidens are tasked with various responsibilities. They take care of tidying the shrine, ensuring that it remains a clean and sacred space for worship. Additionally, they assist in the gift shop, selling omamori and lanterns to visitors seeking blessings and protection. In the tea house, they serve tea to guests, fostering a sense of hospitality and warmth within the monastery. Furthermore, they also offer tarot card readings in the fortune hut, providing spiritual guidance and insight to those who seek it."

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
"Before entering the inner grounds of the shrine, it's essential to purify ourselves at the Temizuya, located before the bridge. This purification ritual is crucial in Karakura, as it removes any impurities that may taint the sacred grounds of the shrine.

To perform the purification ritual:

1. Pick up the ladle with your right hand and scoop up water from the basin.
2. Hold the ladle over the drainage to prevent any used water from dirtying the basin.
3. Pour water over your left hand to cleanse it, then switch the ladle to your left hand and cleanse your right hand.
4. Switch the ladle back to your right hand and pour water over your left hand again. Take a small amount of water into your mouth, rinse, and then spit it out into the drain.
5. Finally, rinse your left hand once more, and then rotate the ladle upright to let the remaining water flow down. Return the ladle to its original position.

By following these steps, we ensure that we enter the shrine with pure hearts and minds, ready to connect with the divine."

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
"When making an offering to a Kami, it's essential to approach with reverence and respect. Before reaching the shrine's inner sanctum, we first bow in front of its gate, acknowledging the presence of the Kami we seek to honor. We bring our offering with us, whether it be money, sacred foods, or other items, as a gesture of gratitude and devotion.

In this instance, let's say we're offering money, the most common form of donation. We place our offering into the designated box, usually around 100 yen at this shrine. Alternatively, if we're offering food, we'd place it appropriately near the box.

After making the offering, we turn and ring the bell, signaling to the Kami that our offering has been made. The bell is typically located nearby, serving as a conduit for our prayers to reach the divine.

Following the ringing of the bell, we perform a series of gestures to complete the offering. We bow deeply twice, expressing our humility and sincerity. Then, we clap twice, ensuring that our right hand is slightly lower than our left. If we wish to offer a prayer, we do so quietly and internally, unlike in Christianity where prayers are often spoken aloud.

Once our prayer is concluded, we bow deeply one final time, sealing our connection with the Kami and expressing our gratitude for their blessings. Through these rituals, we demonstrate our devotion and seek to foster a harmonious relationship with the divine."

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
“Upon entering the monastery, visitors may be greeted respectfully and offered tea. If accepted, guests are invited to the tea house, where they remove their shoes as is customary before beginning the ceremony. This act of hospitality sets the tone for the shared experience that follows, fostering a sense of warmth and welcome among all participants."

To perform the tea ceremony ritual:

1. The host arranges the ceremonial space, ensuring cleanliness.
Utensils are laid out with precision, setting the stage for the ceremony to come.

2. Before brewing the tea, the host cleanses each utensil with a silk cloth, symbolizing purity and respect for the guests. This act, though seemingly simple, holds great significance in preparing the space for the sacred ritual.

3. With water boiling and utensils cleansed, the host begins preparing the tea. Matcha tea powder is carefully measured and placed into a bowl, where hot water is added. Using a bamboo whisk, the host skillfully blends the tea until it forms a frothy green mixture, ready to be served.

4. The bowl of tea is passed from hand to hand, each guest taking a sip before passing it on. This ritual of sharing fosters a sense of unity and connection among the participants, as they commune with the essence of the tea.

5. As the tea is savored and the ceremony draws to a close, the host cleanses the utensils once more, signifying the end of the ritual. With hearts and minds uplifted, guests depart, carrying with them the memories of a shared moment of harmony and tranquility.

“In essence, the tea ceremony is a journey of mindfulness and reverence, where every gesture is infused with meaning and intention.”

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi-
A tamagushi is a sacred Shinto offering made from a branch of a sakaki tree, typically adorned with shide (strips of white paper) and sometimes other decorations such as silk threads or bells.

Tamagushi is used in Shinto rituals and ceremonies as an offering to the kami (spirits or gods). It symbolizes purification, reverence, and a connection between the human and divine realms. The tamagushi is presented to the kami as a gesture of respect and gratitude, often placed on a ritual stand or altar within a shrine.

Ofuda-
An ofuda is a small paper amulet or talisman inscribed with sacred symbols, prayers, or the name of a kami. It is usually encased in a protective cover made of paper, cloth, or plastic.

Ofuda is used for personal protection, blessings, and to invite the presence of a kami into one's home or place of worship. They are commonly placed in household shrines, on altars, or in other areas where they can provide spiritual protection and guidance. Ofuda is believed to hold the divine power of the kami it represents, offering comfort and security to those who possess it.

Kagura Suzu-

A kagura suzu is a traditional Shinto bell used in kagura dances and rituals. It is typically made of bronze or brass and has a distinctive shape and sound.

The kagura suzu is used as a musical accompaniment during kagura performances, which are sacred Shinto dances offered to the kami. The ringing of the bell is believed to purify the ritual space, evoke the presence of the kami, and create an atmosphere of reverence and celebration. The rhythmic sound of the kagura suzu adds to the spiritual ambiance of the ceremony, guiding participants and spectators alike in their connection with the divine.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
N/A

Users who are viewing this thread