Oliverium

Level 54
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
Cooking in Karakura High

May 14, 2024 - By Tsugi Urushido Jahii

How Cooking Impacts School​

Cooking can be so much fun whether you’re good at it or not. Putting in hard labor for something delicious at the end is totally worth it, right? To be able to customize your ingredients can allow you to make something new to try. If you’re bad at it, why not get better? Cooking practice is an improvement you can taste!

When it comes to me personally, I’m the type who likes to go big. Cooking is a messy hobby of mine, yet it’s nice to be carefree and be all over the place sometimes. I’m more of a baker, creating and decorating cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and all types of sweets. I love to add custom colors to my frosting in order to make it appealing.

There are different types of chefs within the school. Including professionals who do it for their jobs, or casual chefs that cook for the fun of it. Bringing cooking into school is a great idea. It’ll allow students to branch out to different interests and career paths whilst also having fun and having something good to eat at the end of class. Cooking is a good way to bond with one another. Who wouldn’t accept someone’s Onrain friend request when they brought you cookies?

Are KHS Students Even Good At Cooking?​

Karakura High School provides a variety of opportunities to cook on your own. Either by learning in a culinary class or joining a cooking club. However there are also ways outside of school to practice cooking, like working at restaurants or cooking for your partner, but we don’t care about that. I’ve decided to ask fifteen students what they believe their cooking skills are from 1-5, 1 being terrible and 5 being perfection.

While we’re on the topic of food, why not display our findings by using a pie chart?

As you can see, Karakura’s student population are either confident or not, there is very little in between. Some students claimed to have burned down the kitchen, hence the one rating, and some others who rated a 5 are in a culinary program!

So, what does this mean? I believe cooking is a basic skill many of us need, eating out everyday can get quite expensive. Cooking your own things can allow you to customize flavor combinations and make it your very own. I believe we are in desperate need of more cooking classes to teach students the basics. That or we need safer kitchens.

Beyond Students

As you know, it’s not just students who cook. Have you ever walked out of class hungry and heard “time for lunch!” over the intercom? You have the lovely chefs to thank for it. They cook good food, yes, but I hear that some of their recipes they use are rather.. Questionable.

How Do You Improve?

In order to improve your cooking skills, I suggest doing one of the few things offered at our beloved school.
  1. Join culinary classes! Your schedule may feel busy, but when classes roll around and you see a culinary class, rush to it! Culinary teachers go step by step in teaching you recipes and answer any questions you may have. Sometimes you even get a partner! Joining culinary classes will not only improve cooking, but will also allow you to leave happy with your creations.
  2. Join a cooking club! Improving cooking, meeting up for fun events, and even meeting others with your same interests! These folks will go pro, so why not you? Don’t worry if you’re cooking for the first time, join anyways and learn at your own pace.
  3. Ask a Chef! Use this tip carefully. Don’t hold up the lunch line and do not interrupt them when they are busy with other things. However, when they are free, talk to them! Ask them questions about the inner workings of school lunches, like what ingredients are used and how they manage to cook for so many students in a day. Showing your interest in a job that chefs are so passionate about will get them talking, and perhaps it can motivate you into becoming a chef for Karakura High someday too.

Did Somebody Say Brownies?​

Why not sink your teeth in some brownies while feeling good that you created them? Try this simple recipe out and if you’re a risk taker, try adding your own personal touch!
stack of best easy brownie recipe

Ingredients:

10 tablespoons (142 grams) unsalted butter
4 ounces (113 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup (170 grams) semisweet chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. Buy your ingredients fresh from the grocery store. I personally recommend the grocery store across the town hall, it’s a bit more expensive but it’s convenient!
  2. Ready up your station! Don’t forget to prepare your station beforehand so you’re not rushing around the kitchen later on.
  3. Obtain a large microwavable bowl, heat up some chocolate and butter. Do it in 30 second bursts, stirring in between. Add sugar and allow it to cool just a bit.
  4. Whisk together eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla extract for just about a minute. This allows the brownies to get that nice shiny crust on top.
  5. Now to combine! Grab your rubber spatula to stir in flour, cocoa powder, and salt until just combined. Then add the chocolate chips!
  6. In the preheated oven it goes, just have to wait 25-30 minutes. When finished, make sure to insert a toothpick into the center. When taken back out, the toothpick should have moist crumbs on it. Let it sit for an additional 30 minutes before slicing.
  7. Enjoy!

Finishing Touches​

Don’t be discouraged if your recipes didn’t turn out as well as you hoped. Keep trying and you’ll get your luminous, cartoon-like shine on your plate of scrumptious food. Grab a friend or two to try it too, they may provide good feedback. It’s worth watching their eyes widen with a euphoric “mmm” when you finally perfect a recipe. Your date will be impressed when they see the effort and love you put in your dish for them.

The stomach is a gateway to the heart, and I couldn’t agree more. Love what you cook, and the love will make it back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread