Poseter

Level 12
Poseter
Poseter
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: Poseter
What's the title of your suggestion?: 5-6 Language slots

What's your suggestion?:
Each account right now has 3 language slots. The first two are incredibly easy to get with the third one needing more background information.

However, due to the change in 2023 with the character slots, I think we should be allowed up to 6 slots now since there are different characters. Each character is different, and adding more slots will allow for much more diversity. I feel it is unfair to keep the number of languages allowed for each character slot used.

This can be separate for the amount of character slots given for the ranks. For example:

[Fundrasier] 4
[Fundrasier+] 4
[Rich] 4
[Rich+] 4
[Notable] 5
[Notable+] 5
[Omega] 6
[Omega+] 6-7

These do not have to be these exact numbers, it's just an example.

Now, these language numbers can be varied especially for unoccupied character slots and animal slots. There's also the obstacle where the characters are the same race. Usually, people make their characters a multitude of different races alongside them being able to speak multiple languages. This could also be specifically applied to a certain character slot.

Like before the character slot update, you needed to do separate applications for each character. Now, you don't need to. If needed, instead of applying for your entire account, you could also apply for a specific character.

Instead of the mass production of applications for each character (say 2 characters spoke Korean) they would instead submit how many people [or specifically their names] and give backstories for each. If one were bad, the reviewer would say which one was bad(in this example, the 2nd character's story) and were to tell them to redo the 2nd one but reapply with the first one. . . just changing the 2nd story. For a more visual example:

[FAKE APPLICATION EXAMPLE ATTEMPT #1]

[LANGUAGE APPLYING: KOREAN]

BACKSTORY CHARACTER #1 (GOOD)

BACKSTORY CHARACTER #2 (BAD)

REVIEWER: The 2nd backstory was denied for [REASON]. Please resubmit your application with the first story and redo the 2nd one.

[FAKE APPLICATION EXAMPLE ATTEMPT #2]

[LANGUAGE APPLYING: KOREAN]

BACKSTORY CHARACTER #1 (PASTED)

BACKSTORY CHARACTER #2 (GOOD)

REVIEWER: Please submit a ticket (yada yada yada)
Doing it this way can help the faction leads (I don't know if multiple people accept the languages but if there were to be, this would help the different faction leads.) know which one was pasted. However, applying for more than one character removes a certain number of languages from their total. For example, if an Omega+ were to have 7 and they applied for two character, they'd now have 5 available language slots.

If a character were to change and replaced, there could also be another one for that. Adding the question, Are you replacing a language?: could be then followed by, if answered yes, which language are you replacing?: this allows the faction lead to remove that language or in the accepted thing say "request the language replacement with the link to this application, the new language, and the language you are replacing."

I know this may sound like a hassle, but it'd make the community much more happier.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
Using the languages for the different characters could help make characters more diverse. They don't have to continue being the same race since it wouldn't exactly be right for someone who grew up in, say, Korea for their entire life to only be able to speak Mandarin and not Korean at all. It wouldn't make any sense. Being able to have actual character lore is better.

philbertman42

Level 137
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
Language isn't necessarily a cosmetic thing so I don't think it'd be smart to add language slots to donor ranks.

The simplest solution would be to apply language to the character profile rather than the user's account; that way, individual characters could have their own limits, instead of the player just having a collective one (with the original idea, one character could access 7 languages. Mega uhoh).

The FJ

Level 93
ilovemyplanex5
ilovemyplanex5
Rich+
not the donator thing thats just crazy
but yeah id be down to separate language slots by roleplay profile

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
only way I can see having more than 3 language slots on one account working is if its per character slot as philbertman has stated, and I don't think that would be very high on our priorities list as of right now

being able to apply once and spread over multiple slots would lead to a lot of management confusion, not only for staff but for user experience

Ruin

Level 103
Ruin06
Ruin06
Notable+
How abt making it 4 languages max and changing the way to learn a language, i know this was suggested before but I think people should think about it again, imagine actually having to work for the language (going to classes, taking courses from different people, having your parents teach you or simply reading a book about it, last one is debatable) and this could possibly add a new thing to the school faculty, language teachers.
I'd love to hear what people have in mind, I wrote this without much planning so if you got ideas, just write.

Infi

Level 131
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
-1 here are some scenarios:

Player applies for 6 languages on one account for the sake of using different ones for /character. What’s stopping people from just roleplaying 1 character that unrealistically knows 7 languages? (Japanese + the other 6). That just can’t be moderated.

One can say “just apply for a language and give it to only one character profile” but that’s gonna do more harm than good considering all the people that use their languages across all their character profiles and would now have to use it for only one character lol. I’d certainly be really angry if I had to apply x5 times for mandarin so I can have it on all of my character profiles, and then that x5 would be 5/6 of the languages learned

Seems cool but very very flawed

Last edited:

cho0ii

Level 174
Community Team
Event Team
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+

FIRST IT WAS A PLAGUE OF MODEL CHARACTERS, 7'5 CHARACTERS, AND NOW TRILLION-LINGUAL CHARACTERS.

okay first of all, as someone whose bilingual, learning languages is DIFFICULT. Like it is a battle to learn a language. I climbed mount everest in learning just to learn a second language, knowing 3 LANGUAGES, WAS A LOT ALREADY.... but knowing 5 - 6!??! nuh uh (im waggling my finger rn). Okay sure if it was for multiple characters then sure yeah go bananas idc, but they are already implementing languages for different character slots. ALSO, languages. arent. cosmetic. WHY DO I NEED TO SPEND 100 QUID FOR 6 LANGUAGES!? Its not a cosmetic feature so we shouldn't have to pay for it. So. NO. NO MORE LANGUAGE SLOTS.

but......

I'm chill with the idea of having 3 language slots PER character slot. So like the languages are binded to the character slots (something the dev team are already working on....)

TooManyDucks_

Level 20
Language isn't necessarily a cosmetic thing so I don't think it'd be smart to add language slots to donor ranks.

The simplest solution would be to apply language to the character profile rather than the user's account; that way, individual characters could have their own limits, instead of the player just having a collective one (with the original idea, one character could access 7 languages. Mega uhoh).
+1

DarkEclipic

Level 158
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+

Knowing many languages IRL is difficult to try and keep up your skills if you don't constantly use or practice said language. I don't see why we would need more than 4 languages(I am counting Japanese in this, aka base language/normal chat). I will say, once they add different languages to others /character profiles so you can apply per character than all on the same account it would be better

jaaaayla

Level 199
Council Lead
Jaeyla
Jaeyla
Fundraiser+

Tying the amount languages with the amount of character slots someone has based on their rank is a bit P2W . We cannot monitor if they would actually use that language for that character or not. Someone could easily just make their character speak five languages, just because they have the Notable rank.

Also, it’s a bit hard to manage rank verification wise because not everyone has their forum account connected to the rank they’re applying for. Which leads us to track down your account and actually verify that you have the rank.

Although, I am all for character language division based on character profiles but only if it looks like:

[Grade-12] character profile only has access to JSL and Spanish

[Adult] character profile only has access to Italian and Korean.

kustomzero

Level 129
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
Although, I am all for character language division based on character profiles but only if it looks like:

[Grade-12] character profile only has access to JSL and Spanish

[Adult] character profile only has access to Italian and Korean.
I don't mind this happening. Would actually help bring more realism to the language system.

ethxx.ltd

Level 44
ethxxltd
ethxxltd
Notable
+1/-1
I do somewhat like the idea as I speak English, some french and very little Hindi and can understand French (via reading and listening if slow), Hindi (listening), and Esperanto (unfluently), but also the fact is it would be hard to moderate due to the fact that you could have, lets say, Russian, Icelandic, Spanish, Italian, and Korean on one account, but ur char only speaks Russian and Korean, someone could metagame the Icelandic, Spanish and Italian if they are near a situation. What could happen is what its like when apply for a third language spot but each application gets harder and harder. Something like this:
3rd Language spot: 50% chance
4th Language spot: 29% chance
5th Language spot: 15% chance
6th Language spot: 4% chance

Iris.fi

Level 33
IrisFi
IrisFi
Rich
above points and overall in theory sounds nice but when you think about it a little longer like maybe a minute you realize

windswake

Level 24
wyldwinds
wyldwinds
Omega
Points above.. It's P2W & people will either use it to unrealistically roleplay or metagame information.

Users who are viewing this thread