mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Add a way to check camera IDs

ThatBurningFox

Level 20
ThatBurningFox
ThatBurningFox
Icon
What's your Minecraft Username?: ThatBurningFox
What's the title of your suggestion?: Add a way to check camera IDs

What's your suggestion?:
Hi! This is quite a specific idea, mostly for the KPD faction, but maybe it would also benefit the school faction as they also have CCTV.

Basically - add a command to check what a camera's ID and location is when you are looking at it, similar to /payto, but with more range.

Proposed command: /getcameraid

You would look at a camera, and while looking it, type that command in chat, which would then run the command and check if the camera block you are looking at is on the system. If it isn't, it'll just run back the same message as though you ran the command looking at anything else, i.e. "Error: You are not looking at a registered camera!"

If it is, it would print the camera ID and what it is listed as on the system! So, for example, the camera just outside of the school gates, i.e. "Camera ID: KPD743 - Plaza (Front Gates)"

This way, you would be able to know for definite that a camera is functional or not to save headaches AND it would also give you the ID on the system for you so you don't have to spend ages checking through the plugin manually, which often times may not even lead anywhere because of the camera being outright broken and having no way to know.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
How many times have you had the headache of seeing a camera, wanting to check what it can see, but not having a clue what it is on the actual plugin? This suggestion would fix it, as you would just immediately know what the ID is and be able to view it, immediately. No hassle, no unnecessary fuss. No more flicking through the cameras to try to find the right one, or having to find out the hard way that it isn't even an actually active camera on the plugin!

It would even make it easier to report cameras that are broken and need fixing, as well as make it simpler to note down what location is which for future reference, in the event that you need to quickly access a camera. You could even co-ordinate with other faction members over the radio to inform them of the ID of the cameras you need them to check between, for maximum efficiency and cooperation.

It isn't an immensely high priority thing. But it would be such, such, such a big quality of life change for factions that actually use the CCTV plugin.

Thank you!
 
Is it just me, or shouldn't all cameras be already operational? I feel like this is more of a bug or something that was forgotten. Having the users fix this issue through a command that needs to be created is nice, but I do feel like it is an extra measure that could just be fixed by the staff team.

+1 for the idea of having an ID on CCTV, I'm sure KPD can attest that whenever you see a camera, in the top left, there is a text saying "Camera #" as in Camera number, and then nothing. It would be nice to have the number so you guys know which camera is which.

On the command, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. I will support the idea if it makes the job easier, but say you add a number to the camera of the area (say for example, Camera #001 is the one camera on school gate). Wouldn't the solution be much easier if it's written somewhere in Discord or any other place you can go, and have it registered through there? The command is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but for what I've read so far, it just solves an issue that, in my opinion, could be solved through other ways.

Alternatively (again, I have no clue on the CCTV plugin as I was never able to have access to them), you could implement a command for that plugin that helps you easily navigate which camera in specific you'd like. You mentioned how you have to navigate through the plugin, and that takes a lot of time, say, for example, you have a command that directly sends you to the camera you want to look at? (If this is already a thing... Then completely ignore what I said)
 
Is it just me, or shouldn't all cameras be already operational? I feel like this is more of a bug or something that was forgotten. Having the users fix this issue through a command that needs to be created is nice, but I do feel like it is an extra measure that could just be fixed by the staff team.

+1 for the idea of having an ID on CCTV, I'm sure KPD can attest that whenever you see a camera, in the top left, there is a text saying "Camera #" as in Camera number, and then nothing. It would be nice to have the number so you guys know which camera is which.

On the command, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. I will support the idea if it makes the job easier, but say you add a number to the camera of the area (say for example, Camera #001 is the one camera on school gate). Wouldn't the solution be much easier if it's written somewhere in Discord or any other place you can go, and have it registered through there? The command is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but for what I've read so far, it just solves an issue that, in my opinion, could be solved through other ways.

Alternatively (again, I have no clue on the CCTV plugin as I was never able to have access to them), you could implement a command for that plugin that helps you easily navigate which camera in specific you'd like. You mentioned how you have to navigate through the plugin, and that takes a lot of time, say, for example, you have a command that directly sends you to the camera you want to look at? (If this is already a thing... Then completely ignore what I said)
I agree, cameras should all already be operational. But sometimes they bug, break, or disappear, leading to all kinds of annoying problems.

The cameras ALREADY have IDs. This command would just print it in the chat for us, for easy to access information. Having them written in discord sounds like a very nice solution, until you realise there are hundreds of cameras around the map. You'd have to sift through a list of images one by one all the same and it would still very much be a problem. That, and someone would have to manually create said format and put all the individual images of the cameras and what they can see, etc.

On paper, it sounds good, but in execution it would just not be viable, I assure you. You genuinely do not comprehend how miserable it would be. Even just having staff check through the cameras to fix them in the first place would also be a pain. This command would literally help THEM do their job, I'm pretty sure.

As for the command to navigate to a specific camera. Yes, this already exists, it's "/cam view x", x being the number. But again. If we look at a camera in say, an area of the road. We have no way to know what ID that camera has, unless we manually go through every camera to check.
 
The cameras ALREADY have IDs. This command would just print it in the chat for us, for easy to access information. Having them written in discord sounds like a very nice solution, until you realise there are hundreds of cameras around the map. You'd have to sift through a list of images one by one all the same and it would still very much be a problem. That, and someone would have to manually create said format and put all the individual images of the cameras and what they can see, etc.
I see your point. I agree with that you say, it does sound annoying when we see it that way. Would it be plausible to consider something like what Oli did in https://schoolrp.net/threads/lore-the-districts-roads-and-landmarks-of-karakura.54367/ ?

If you check under the Karakura Roads' Section, you have one big images with multiple dots with numbers, indicating a point of interest. You could have something similar, if not as a solution for the long run, at least this could serve KPD while we await for the answer and implementation of this suggestion. If you'd like, I can help you setting this up. I'm gonna be so honest, I know this is not the best of the best, it's just what's coming out of my mind. Anyway, I hope it helps, and after reading what you say, I'm more in favor of the idea. It's just me, my skepticism, and my little traumas on SRP codes breaking why I'm not ALL in ;~;
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top