Ayouub

Level 11
godsfavourite
godsfavourite
Notable
IGN: VodkaRP
DATE: 3/12/2021
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
As you know, some new players when they first join doesn't even read the rules or read anything. They just go in and start playing. I got an interesting idea to end that. So for every player when they join for the first time, they get teleported to a tutorial map where they can see all the rules and read it. After that there should be a test or a quizz game which contains question about everything they need to know before joining, that requires them to read the rules so they can answer it and join the real server. I know this from an old server I know and it works really well. It doesn't require a plugin or anything it can be made by command blocks. This is my suggestion, hope you like it!

Lovely_Ocean

Level 64
That does sound intresting! However with the ammount of rules we have, it'd be a lot to put into one place, but i do think there'd be a way to do this. I'll try to see what I can personally do and bring my own touch to this idea into something that could work! Thank you for the feedback

atoki

Level 123
atoki
atoki
Notable+
+1

I think it's a good idea. Forces the rules into people's heads. It's especially helpful for the school faculty jobs as we mainly deal with them firsthand ICLY, and it can get frustrating, although it is still our job to do so. I am a little tired of the usual /me faints or kids breaking their necks by walking into the wall or something . . . so yeah

I feel like you wrote this after seeing me (receptionistman) at front desk lol.

suu

Level 38
TanoshiiDays
TanoshiiDays
Rich+
+1
I remember a Hispanic survival PvP server who used this method as a whitelist of the sort to choose which players were suitable to play the server, it was something like: a small room, in front of you would be a sign with a question and 4 possible doors with pressure plates and iron doors, where if you were right then you would make it to the next question, if not you would've been kicked with a message saying "Wrong answer, re-read the rules again and try again later"
This actually prevented the server from rule breakers (kinda), however if so their whitelist was removed. I completely agree with this.

ryabh

Level 102
ryabh
ryabh
Notable

I personally disagree with adding a test to new players as it is slightly ridiculous, and I believe this because SchoolRP is a public Minecraft server, it is not restricted or whitelisted for people to join, meaning you find the server, you join, you play. The reason the community constantly has new players joining is because of that reason, and creating a test to pass is just adding a fancier version of a whitelist for SchoolRP. Also, not every new player ignores the rules, and if they ignore the rules, that is how they are, and is looked down upon. Now, this is not me saying new players should not acknowledge the rules, as they are heavily influenced to do so as they join, and a lot of them do after being told to by the staff team; however, the reality is that they are a normal person wanting to join into a roleplay server, and play. And I believe it should stay this way. I want to add that playing SchoolRP is for entertainment and although most average players have read over the rules and take it seriously, some people just want to join and have a fun time talking, but not trolling, as it is not allowed.

In conclusion, SchoolRP is a public Minecraft server that does not require a whitelist to play, and adding a "test" that a new player must pass to join is the same as adding a whitelist, which has been denied by the owners multiple times. Though, I highly recommend all players to read the rules and understand how to play, a lot of the new players who do join just want to have a good time, and if it interrupts your roleplay, then call for staff. If they take away the player and they refuse, then they will get removed or quit, which is fine.

(It is pretty early in the morning for me, so that may have seemed confusing, but I hope whoever reads this understands)

Last edited:

Laur

Level 39

As someone said it sort of forces the rules into their heads, but some/most people just want to get out there and go play on the server! Even though they may not have read the rules, some rules are just common sense and won’t be broken. Even though some green tags are irritating and cause a disruption to the server just to troll, school roleplay wouldn’t be itself if there weren’t any of those types of people. (If you are a dedicated role player trying to learn but too lazy to read the rules like I was, you would eventually just learn over time. Usually you should read the rules after a few months of getting into the server if you enjoy playing on it.)

I have read the rules, but I honestly just hate reading usually no matter what it is unless it’s an interesting book. The rules are quite lengthy and I don’t think new players should have to memorize them, at least the rules with bigger consequences they should learn.

Lastly, it is just a whitelist like JesusRP said. Most people don’t enjoy doing tests and would already lose interest in joining the server if they failed the test after a few attempts. The answers to the test could also just be posted online, even if you had the questions changed, someone could just put up an answer sheet for all the questions.

This sounds horrible but I never read the rules after a while when I started playing the server. As I said in the first paragraph, all rules were just common sense to me or taught/told over time. Yes, I did end up reading the entire rules after a while :)

WiffyBanter

Level 143
KirikoM
KirikoM
Omega

I completely understand this suggestion, this was something that we as Staff debated or a while in a meeting. But, SRP should never be too restricting when joining. The server is public and all the information a Player needs is in the Tutorial, if they fail to follow the rules they have experienced Players and active Staff to inform them and that is how most Players learn to become a key part of the community.

Ayouub

Level 11
godsfavourite
godsfavourite
Notable

I completely understand this suggestion, this was something that we as Staff debated or a while in a meeting. But, SRP should never be too restricting when joining. The server is public and all the information a Player needs is in the Tutorial, if they fail to follow the rules they have experienced Players and active Staff to inform them and that is how most Players learn to become a key part of the community.
I do not really agree that the tutorial is full, it's missing some stuff. Like the concept of the roleplay in general, all the rules detailed not just a link to them, also the exit bottom should not be in the beginning of the tutorial ect...

Spiderfar

Level 5
I wouldn't want to play on a server where I have to do a test to actually play it. Along with it being boring, it would be a struggle for people with alts, people with alt accounts would have to do a tutorial that you can't skip, and if you could skip it. New players would skip it every single time. Cause who wants to do a test

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich
-1 players should be allowed to learn at their own pace, restricting that is bad. I liked finding about stuff slowly over time - having it all forced on me probably would've got me to leave when I joined - keeping in mind that there was SIGNIFICANTLY less content compared to now days that players would need to know.

this next part is a bit of a rant but
regardless of my opinion on the first point - I hate that the playerbase has a 'superiority complex' over newer players - even going as far as to call them "greenies." The joke got old real fast, I don't get it either - most of the people who do it are from 2018+ like tf u aint og homie you just have an ego

tl;dr stop being rude to them - you were new once too, still are. Just let them be.

Last edited:

Yonio

Level 328
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
Besides what other players and staff members have stated above, I believe that this suggestion COULD have potential to some degree. For example, I believe it would be interesting to see some sort of voluntary test for new players in which, if they pass, they will earn some yen as a reward for having read the rules. It would not prevent them from starting without being forced to take a test, and it would encourage following the rules with some sort of reward

SimplyLK

Level 67
SimplyLK
SimplyLK
Rich+
Besides what other players and staff members have stated above, I believe that this suggestion COULD have potential to some degree. For example, I believe it would be interesting to see some sort of voluntary test for new players in which, if they pass, they will earn some yen as a reward for having read the rules. It would not prevent them from starting without being forced to take a test, and it would encourage following the rules with some sort of reward
I do not agree with this thread. But yonios response is actually true. That would be a unique idea just like voting. I think maybe for taking the volunteer test your are credited 15k for the completion and it’s a 1 time thing. So they’ll get 15k for like 10m of reading the rules. This would heavily encourage players to read rules and follow them, but not force it on them. If they do decide to do it then they’ll get a reward that they might be interested in doing. The only issue is I don’t know how the pluggin might work for that. Yet again though I’m no developer so I guess that would be up to them to figure.

Users who are viewing this thread