mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Allw epic suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustardbelly

Level 3
+1
I genuinely don't know what ISN'T discriminatory/malicious about people essentially saying that they want to bully physically disabled people while and using an outdated offensive term as a pejorative against them. It's a tasteless joke and there isn't a punchline in saying you want to bully a physically disabled person. It's not funny; it's also a really popular thing to say on the server and it's just really annoying to see. :/

It might not seem like anything offensive to able-bodied people, as it isn't a slur, but it's a word really only used on the server in a derogatory manner to make fun of a marginalized group of people. As insignificant as it may seem to a lot of people it is what it is, and there should seriously be something done about the amount of people saying that kind of stuff (listed in the SS) every day. It's kind of annoying.

Reapz999

Level 20
Reapz999
Reapz999
Rich+
View attachment 34725
In a derogatory way. They're treating said person as if they're a subhuman. It dehumanizing, I also don't know why you all cannot do your own research.
That isn't dehumanising dehumanising I'd actual bad stuff, banter in ooc isn't dehumanising

Are you going to go out in real life to someone who says cripple and go nuts because they used a word? No that's real life no one cares you only care because it'd the Internet so you have to cause issues. It's a word grow up. If it was a slur in the first place it would be censored

6Pancake

Level 231
Administrator
Hospital Lead
Media Coordinator
6Pancake
6Pancake
Omega+
Whilst we appreciate hearing everyone's opinions on a suggestion thread, make sure to keep your comments respectful and stray as far away from arguing as possible (it can lead to the thread being locked).

Reapz999

Level 20
Reapz999
Reapz999
Rich+
Some words are bad but in the real world everything isn't your way, don't try to ban every word thsts mildly offensive to a small group

Polar

Level 102
PolarLoLs
PolarLoLs
Notable
I'm sorry, this is just not a comparison. It's a completely false ****ogy. Inanimate objects don't compare to words describing or dehumanizing a human being.
The same thing could be said for Dumb or stupid, Short or Midget. Skinny, blind etc.

If anyone else found this as an issue they would have made a suggestion to censor it or it would have been censored ages ago like some1 stated b4

justsimba

Level 59
HazukiPlayZ
HazukiPlayZ
Omega+

Now I am aware that people tend to use this word in a incorrect manner.. but there will always be people who do that for every word. This word is no where near as hurtful as many others people with disabilities face on a daily. In short terms it’s like saying stupid is a slur. Yes there’s people who use it in a inappropriate manner, but we can’t just hide the word and forget about it. You block cripple or stupid they will just find more words to use that can be a whole lot more damaging.
If they sensor this word, and sensor many other words that can be used in a harmful way we will be left with no words left to say. For reference of what I’m saying, look at it like power plant, we remove power plant the activity that happens there will only just go somewhere else.

Prizebox

Level 9
Serious feedback, It would be better if people would be able to add words to be censored only to them, Such as /toggle filter turns the current chat censor off and on. This would avoid people from getting upset about words they don't approve, an even easier fix is doing /ooc so you just don't see it. OOC chat isn't necessary for RP anyway.

Gunna!

Level 100
Veganlaser
Veganlaser
Omega
Serious feedback, It would be better if people would be able to add words to be censored only to them, Such as /toggle filter turns the current chat censor off and on. This would avoid people from getting upset about words they don't approve, an even easier fix is doing /ooc so you just don't see it. OOC chat isn't necessary for RP anyway.
i agree

Polar

Level 102
PolarLoLs
PolarLoLs
Notable
+1

Reapz999

Level 20
Reapz999
Reapz999
Rich+
for real, i have ooc off all the time, in the nicest way possible with this situation, its minecraft you can ignore words

Last edited by a moderator:

Reapz999

Level 20
Reapz999
Reapz999
Rich+
even Roblox doesn't censor that word and they censor numbers man, NUMBERS

Exactly, the term can be seen as offensive but then again, does anybody actually care? I don't think I've seen a single person genuinely offended by these terms on SRP.
its only offencive if you take offence to it, its block school on minecraft just ignore people you dont like or just log off or turn off ooc

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
I don't think it's necessary or even reasonable to censor the word "cripple." It's not widely known to be an offensive term as the word "crippled" is literally just one way to refer to somebody who is physically disabled. Should we also censor the word "handicapped?" What about other synonyms to refer to a physically disabled person?

If something is widely known to the majority of people to have negative connotations (such as Intellectual Disability's former name) then it would be completely understandable; however, most people don't use the terms "cripple" or "crippled" in a negative way, at least not intentionally.

A change I do think is necessary regarding these situations is that staff should act on players who disrespect groups like this. Dark humor has always been and always will be prevalent on the internet, and people claiming they'll do edgy things to minority groups isn't anything new. That being said, dark humor has no place in a public channel on a server which aims to be child-friendly.

If something like this happens in OOC, players should be warned accordingly. It really isn't funny to most people, and such humor should be kept to themselves in private calls and chats. If somebody is using words such as "crippled" in a derogatory way to put you or another person down, report it to staff and let them handle it from there.

Pinging directly, since I don't want to inflate the length of my message with half a dozen replies - @Reapz999

I agree with you that people are soft these days, and quite frankly, I find it ridiculous that censorship in general has gotten to where it is. Simultaneously, I have basic human compassion and can understand that people are uncomfortable with certain things, such as a group that they are a part of being harassed. Even though this type of thing might not seem like a big deal to you, there's a group of people who are significantly bothered by it. The very least you can do is discuss their ideas in a respectful and constructive way, instead of blatantly insulting them. Please be humane in this discussion, just as staff has asked us to do.

Reapz999

Level 20
Reapz999
Reapz999
Rich+
I don't think it's necessary or even reasonable to censor the word "cripple." It's not widely known to be an offensive term as the word "crippled" is literally just one way to refer to somebody who is physically disabled. Should we also censor the word "handicapped?" What about other synonyms to refer to a physically disabled person?

If something is widely known to the majority of people to have negative connotations (such as Intellectual Disability's former name) then it would be completely understandable; however, most people don't use the terms "cripple" or "crippled" in a negative way, at least not intentionally.

A change I do think is necessary regarding these situations is that staff should act on players who disrespect groups like this. Dark humor has always been and always will be prevalent on the internet, and people claiming they'll do edgy things to minority groups isn't anything new. That being said, dark humor has no place in a public channel on a server which aims to be child-friendly.

If something like this happens in OOC, players should be warned accordingly. It really isn't funny to most people, and such humor should be kept to themselves in private calls and chats. If somebody is using words such as "crippled" in a derogatory way to put you or another person down, report it to staff and let them handle it from there.

Pinging directly, since I don't want to inflate the length of my message with half a dozen replies - @Reapz999

I agree with you that people are soft these days, and quite frankly, I find it ridiculous that censorship in general has gotten to where it is. Simultaneously, I have basic human compassion and can understand that people are uncomfortable with certain things, such as a group that they are a part of being harassed. Even though this type of thing might not seem like a big deal to you, there's a group of people who are significantly bothered by it. The very least you can do is discuss their ideas in a respectful and constructive way, instead of blatantly insulting them.
if they are offended they can just ignore it, thats what i do when i see something i dont like

DarkEclipic

Level 159
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+

I get that people may not like the word being used in that way, but after reading this and going off the posts. Personally, it's not a bad word and it's only people using that word in a bad was is what gives it that nature, if that is the case words like; fat, midget, quirky, Gay(Gae), trans, handicap could also be turned and used against someone in a bad way. Being called it irl due to either family joking around or strangers not knowing the entire situation, it's not that bad of a word and easily ignored but;

A better say, that was suggested in this post, is to add a type of personal filter to the server. Yes it could help people from stop seeing that word(most people have it toggled off anyway) but it is a fix. I get we have a long backlog on the trello, but it is a small thing. If someone says a word that you don't like, mention it and if they are a nice and understanding person, they will stop using said term or language if they don't then walk away. It's called communication and boundaries

Lizalopod

Level 130
-1, i 100% agree with the adding of a personal filter. There's no need for it to be taken this far, if you find its derogatory simply report it.

Emiyo | Layla

Level 37
-1 if you are this sensitive idk how you gonna make it in life... im sorry but pls- personal toggle for other words as well would lowkey be cool though

needle

Level 45
+1
the nature of this word as an adjective has gone completely off the rails. it no longer holds a neutral connotation and a lot of people who use it, though sometimes unknowingly, are adding to the problem. it doesn't take that much to actually grow from mistakes, but to continue on being insensitive and cruel about issues that don't effect you, that just makes you a bad person. all you're telling me by -1'ing this suggestion is that you're ignorant, you can learn, but dont want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread