Pofiiz
DISCORD NAME & TAG:
Itzsukii_
WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
CST (Central Standard)
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
If I were to rate my server activity from one to ten, I would give it an eight. Even though I work oocly,
I also roleplay when I have free time after or before work. Typically, 7 out of 10, mostly at the shrine
WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shinto Priest
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
As of right now, I know that. The Sacred Power, also known as kami, some light knowledge of the ancestors, and the Spirits, also known as Supernatural Entities- are all revered in Shintoism, one of the most widely practiced religions in Japan aside from Buddhism. It is well known that Japan is home to numerous kami shrines.

Shinto technically means the way of gods. the star of animism in different regions had different things that they worshipped (ex; could be animals or stones, nature like trees) and like said before every region has their own gods. In Shintoism, there are currently 8,000 gods but it’s unknown how many gods there actually are (basically a polytheistic religion) there are many gods for many things, even.. toilets. The people who fight for Japan who pass away are also considered as gods.
Although they aren’t just called Gods but also, Kami which is a more known way to call them in Japan.
The main Kami is named Amaterasu-Omikami which who is a female.

Shintoism has a very strong connection with nature because of japans natural disasters, this is way japans peace with nature as they cannot control it (Japan is known for having a lot of natural disasters)
Anyone is welcome to MOST shrines so I’ll explain one of the MAIN custom you must know before going.
Tori gate - which is always at the front of a Shinto shrine, a symbol of ‘from there on begins the holy area’. The middle of an Tori is for the gods so you should NEVER walk in the middle. Either on the left or right side but before entering the Tori or leaving. You have to bow to the Tori.
Am I prepared or willing to learn? Absolutely, I'd like to know more about Shintoism. Since the religion is real, it is only polite to portray shrine maidens in a way that is consistent with how they would typically seem in real life. I want to use this opportunity to make friends with others who share my interest in Japanese culture and religion. constructing fresh, varied roleplay scenarios and, ideally, a protracted stay at the Shrine.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I am confident enough to bring in a character who might potentially transform other character lives at the Shrine, and I attempt to be sociable by making others feel at ease and encouraging them to form wonderful friendships outside of roleplaying whether with myself or others. These are the simple reasons that make me stand out for this role. I can be readily taught and have a strong desire to develop personally, making me very coachable.won't be problematic if I’m correct of my wrong doings. When necessary, I can also communicate, although. other than myself, every each applicant jumps out significantly.

I will thus say something that the others might not have. I am an advocate of roleplaying; I'm not sure how to put it precisely. I can't just stand there silently. I can attempt maintain everyone's interest in roleplaying, especially at the shrine. I am skilled at creating roleplay moments immediately in my mind. I mentioned that I could bring a character that could change shrine life for this reason. I can provide humor or sadness to a roleplay. I can make it more fun, and I know that anyone can do the same, but not many people are ready to go the extra mile or want someone else to go above and beyond simply saying hello or making something up. But me? I'll go ahead and do it. I also enjoy doing it, so I don't say it in a negative way. I honestly don't mind engaging first in roleplay because I enjoy reading about other people's characters in the hopes that they would enjoy mine. Hopefully inspiring others to follow suit. Even while roleplaying can occasionally be daunting or overwhelming, everyone deserves to feel at ease roleplaying, and I want/willing to bring a space for others.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
YES I DO *Salutes*
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

“Mizyu Vermillion”
CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
“Lady or Miss.. or just my name..”
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
“25”
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
“Single”
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
“Japanese Nationality”
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

(030) - 871 - 1695
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“My mother would be the reason for it. Yes, strange head start. Please pay attention for a little while. Here in Japan, in Kyoto, I was first born. My mother was a Geisha, although she had previously been a member of the Shrine in her early years. Before leaving for Kyoto, she would tell me about her life at the Shrine. Although I'm not really sure how she became a geisha. She informed me that after turning into a geisha, her happiness was left at the shrine. Well, I just want to go back to the shrine with small portion of her, which is me. For the most part of my life, I was confined to America, and coming back to Japan and visiting the Shrine with my Tía (Aunt in Spanish). “

“She left behind comfort and contentment, and I picked up same things stepping onto the shrine. I sense a calling, almost as if my body is calling me to take care of the shrine. Never before have I felt so secure in a kami's or spirit's abode. I wish I could stay here. Like my mother, I aspire to be a maiden, and perhaps even more so than that, a priest like Her mother. establishing a space where nobody—animals, humans, spirits—good or evil felt unable to simply sit and take a breath. Being a kind person is what I aspire to be. I've only ever observed the negative aspects of this rock we call earth, but perhaps I could contribute to creating a place where people are living and where everything is positive! a location that animals frequent because they feel secure there. Furthermore, I'd like to meet people who share that mindset—possibly even more so than I do! I want to spend as much time as possible with the people that my mother would have approved of. And perhaps the shrine could educate me that not everyone is looking out to get you negatively and that things aren't always as horrible as they seem. For once, maybe I could just sit and breathe. Live life, one step at a time. “

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
‘Thus far. I am aware that Yama-No-Kami is the name of the kami, and oddly, there appears to be a cave with a Yokai mask within. In addition, there's an earlier shrine that appears to have been somewhat damaged, but upon closer inspection, it appears to have been damaged by fire. Although I don't truly know anything about the shrines history, I am aware of "Kitsa," a spirit, made frequent visits. My aunt and her partner claim to be huge fans of Kitsa. I hope I also enjoy having them. ..not sure if this is true but my mother did tell me a story before.. So.. basically a maiden who roamed around she was beautiful, kind and her aura surpassed humans and onto animals but some enemies became mad at her because she received too much praise! And spread rumors but the gods were like ‘she’s cool for real’ and then.. she received a proposal from the gods but she was like.. nah and lived her life becoming old with the shrine.. a nice life not gonna lie.. but from anything else.. I’m not really sure of the history of this place but of the peaceful days my mother would tell me.
WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
‘Dear Head Priest.
I am thrilled to send a letter for the possibility of becoming a Priest, thus I am writing this letter for you. I hope you understand this, but I'm not sure what to write. My mother, who was a Shrine Maiden at this monastery years beyond years ago , is the reason I am excited to join. She told me wonderful stories about being a Maiden, and whenever she talked about the shrine, her smile would light up. Sadly, she is no longer with us. She had always promised me that one day we would leave Kyoto and head back to the shrine, but that never happened. I visit this shrine because my aunt, told me that this could be the shrine she was at or well.. BORN at. My first visit wasn't that long ago, and to be honest. I could see and sense why my aunt believed this would be the place.
Why haven't I been here before? My father and I were in America. After my mother passed away, he took me in and.. Instead, I spent my entire life in America. I decided to find this monastery when I returned to Japan in order to re-learn my mother's religion and culture. I want to know why my mother thought being a maiden was such a lovely thing. I also want to feel a place of belonging, maybe much more than she did. I have a desire to become a priest because my mother's mother was a priest. This letter seems quite foolish.
I won't bore you with further details of my life before this letter is even addressed. I simply want to be a part of the shrine and experience the same sense of belonging that she did, experience the purifying grass and calm life she had with the spirits she called friends and the Maidens and Priests she called an second family. Getting to know others and living in harmony, even though the Shrine cannot ensure that this will always be the case. My desire is to be somewhere, and I know exactly where I want to be. And it’s at the shrine..

May you have a lovely day.
In Love, Happiness and best of wishes
Mizyu Vermillion also.. known as Mizyu Attarashi Vermillion’

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
I was born in Kyoto, Japan, twenty-five years ago. Being unaware of my biological father is understandable given that my mother was a prosperous geisha at the time. The life wasn't perfect, but it was to be expected for a Geisha child; my mother did her best to take care of me as I grew up. I'm not entirely sure what transpired for my mother to become a geisha in Kyoto, but she was originally born in Karakura, Japan, where she was raised as a priest's daughter. My mother's face brightened one day, and she would occasionally tell me about a man who treated her better than the others; occasionally, I would catch a glimpse of him through the creek of doors. He would constantly smile and wave at me.

then. When I was ten years old, my mother fell asleep and didn't wake up. Even though she didn't appear sick, her heart was lifeless. I remained with her corpse till the man who is currently my adopted father arrived. Hyun Vermillion, Hyun. came in and observed me and my mother …. Silence .. I'd like to stop talking about that day … but uhm.. He assured me he would take me in on the day of her funeral; he was also young—possibly in his early 20s? I may be wrong, but he brought me to America with his family, who are now, um, my family. He would help raise me, along with my seldom-present Aunt Hiromi Vermillion. I attended a school. and tried to be good for my father, who aside from being a complete immature man, did his best to look after me. Nevertheless, I had a great life, graduated from high school as valedictorian, briefly attended a community college, and still didn't know where to go. I was not meant for America. Thus, I returned to Japan. I was terrified to return, especially to my mother's hometown, but I did, and I ended up at the shrine.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
Shinto Priests(Also known as Kannushi): They walked around doing various of responsibilities, like doing chores. Offerings at the alter as far of making breakfast as an offering. One of there biggest roles is protecting the shrine, so that people who visit the shrine can feel close to the land’s kami. The Maidens typically remain on the shrine's property. Among many other responsibilities at the monastery, and actually not so much different. As much or even more than priests, they also do the chores, making sure the land is in good shape, aswell when it comes to doing purifications they help the priests.

During weddings Priests host while Maidens Assist, one of the examples is that the Maiden would hand the sake bowl to drink out of for the ceremony

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
“You should be Using your hands to ensure there isn't any leaking back into the basin, you would grab the ladle and fill it with fresh water. After moving and filling your left hand with water, you would transfer the ladle to your other hand and proceed with the right. Following completion, you'll need to wash your mouth. Instead of taking water from the ladle, fill up one, ringi of your free hands, sip from it, and then spit it onto the ground. Next, clean the ladle by pouring the leftover water into an certain way so that it runs down the handle..”
How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
“You would first make sure you have an offering, You would politely give the offering to the Shrine Priest. The Shinto Priest would Purify themselves before completing the Offering to the Kami.

But on your own…

People usually throw 5 yen coin because the saying in Japanese (aka the wording) has the same sound as another word which means holy connection or faithful connection. Firstly you ring the rope bell twice, then you bow twice and clap twice, pray, then one more bow. (But you may put more money in if wanted)

Offerings doesnt also just include money, but also food, flowers, smaller trinkets that are symbolic to the shrine and sake!”

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The maiden or Priest (Also known as the Tea Master) will firstly present the Utensils, which all have their own use and meaning to it.

The Fukusa - an cloth that is used to clean off the utensils before preparing the tea (this reassures the guest that the utensils they use are clean)

tsukai-fukusa-in-different-colors.png

The Natsume (First item to be cleaned/and purified) - also know as the tea caddy where they help transport the tea if it’s in clumps.
a. If matcha is the tea of choice They sift the matcha to remove the clumps!

Cha-shaku- The bamboo teaspoon that is used to scoop the tea/matcha powder into the bowl

Kama - The iron pot used to heat the water for the Tea

Hishaku - The bamboo ladle used to scoop water out of the Kama in order to prepare the the tea.

(If it’s matcha!)
The chasen - It aerates the tea!

Kensui - the waste water bowl, because the water is used other than making the tea!

Lastly, The Chakin - is an separate cloth to clean off the matcha bowl, and wet utensils

Others:

I’ll be using matcha tea as my example!
Make a calm area for you and your guests to partake in the tea ritual, the area should be clean and prepared the room according to the season and the time of day the event is being held (or just clean if it’s for simplicity). The Guests must be purified before entering the room, by washing their hands. Next, guests are seated according on rank. The host will properly greet each visitor after they have taken a seat. This is when any sweets offered during the Japanese tea ritual will be served.
The host should be facing the guests who are seated across from them. Prepare your tea and equipment. Light an incense stick if you'd like. There should be an Hana-ire as a centerpiece ontop of that mini-napkins.

Before making the tea, make sure your equipment are clean and heated. This purification usually takes place during the ceremony.
The host will first clean the tea utensils and then fill the tea bowl with a thick matcha tea. Koicha matcha, another name for thick matcha tea, is blended. The matcha whisk is used to knead this thick tea, which is then handed to the honored Guest to sip.

After using their fukusa to wash the bowl, the guest will give the tea bowl to the next person. This keeps going until each person has had a turn sipping from the same tea bowl. As each guest tastes the tea, it is customary/Respectful for them to compliment the host.
The thick matcha tea is given back to the host to be cleaned after everyone has had a taste.

Thin usucha matcha will be made by the host. (the original saying for thin matcha) The host will wipe the tea set a third time after every visitor has had a taste of the thin matcha tea. At this stage, it's expected for the honored guest to ask to inspect the utensils in order to assess the quality. Since the tools are valuable antiques, they can then be handed about for admiration or never been to a tea ceremony before.
After the tea ceremony, visitors will leave the tea house. As each visitor leaves, the host gives them a bow. The estimate for a tea Ceremony to last is exactly 4 hours.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi : shide strips of washi paper, silk, or cotton are used to embellish this offering crafted from a sakaki tree limb.
the tamagushi is typically a single shidū attached to a short branch of sakaki that is offered to the kami during a ceremonial jinja visit.

a; where these could be used: Shinto shrines have rituals wherein parishioners, Shrine Maidens, or Kannushi deliver tamagushi to the Kami at marriages, funerals, miyamairi, and other occasions.

Ofuda: a multi-material talisman composed of metal, paper, wood, or cloth. Ofuda are thought to be endowed with the power of the gods or Buddhist figures and are frequently found at both Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples.

The Ofuda is a piece of paper that you place on your home's walls to bestow upon it a particular spirit or protection that keeps you safe. It has a close relationship to Shinto shrines since the writing on it invokes the same spirit or deity that those specific shrines respect. It is also occasionally referred to as shinpu. It is said that putting an ofuda in your home alter invites the kami or spirit that is written on it to stay there.

Kagura Suzu : They are a unique ceremonial implement. Neither at the kamidana nor in house worship are they utilized. They are typically utilized by a priest during a ceremony, particularly in shrines and, more frequently, Miko. Especially shrines which enshrine Ameno Uzume no Mikoto. while performing the ritual dance of Kagura. That's why they are called "Kagura bells."

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
───────────────────────────────────────

N/A

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread