Community Team
Lore Team
Arkkwolf
Arkkwolf
Notable+

toriigates Professor Application (3).gif

IGN: Arkkwolf [along with my alts Mialobo, toriigate, and eccedentsiast]

List your discord name and tag (name#0000): arkkwolf

Additionally, do you have a microphone and can speak via discord? I have a microphone, yes!

Your time zone and current country of residence: USA [PST]

Link any previous community team applications if applicable: N/A

Do you recognize you could be removed from the community team? Of course, I will respectfully take my leave if so.

List a few things that may obstruct your progress/development on the Lore Team:

As a writer, I seem to work fairly well under the pressure of a deadline. However, various things may obstruct my process. Such as . . .

Scheduling
For as long as I can remember, I have been fairly active in my school community. I am a part of three clubs, running one, which I will mention later in the application. I also tend to take on more challenging classes, such as AP. This year, being my senior year, I will also be preparing myself for college applications, tests, etc. Lastly, I am a part of my school’s project student leadership class. Meaning I partake in running a small part of the school along with my classmates. With all this in mind, I still believe I have time to take on this responsibility as I do not lack free time.

Writer’s Block
The menace known as writer's block, unfortunately, favors taking me hostage on occasion. It can zap the motivation and inspiration from my mind rather quickly. I tend to get writer's block if I am especially overworked or stressed out, though it doesn’t last too long. However, it will most certainly decrease my progress as a whole. Writer’s block may also affect the quality of my writing if it does not hinder it entirely. I want to produce quality pieces of writing I am proud of and, therefore will avoid creating lore during these times.

Mental Health
Mental health is something I constantly struggle with. I typically use writing as a creative outlet to overcome these struggles. However, there will be times when I will be unable to perform certain duties. I will inform the team if I am currently struggling, as I know communication in this kind of role is key. My mental health can be unpredictable, so it will be a main factor in obstructing my workflow.

Passion/Motivation
I do understand that there may be times I will be tasked to write something I am not entirely thrilled with. However, it should be known, that if I cannot find interest in a piece I am writing about, the work may not highlight my overall ability and best work. My creativity is showcased more so when I can find a passion for what I am creating. As well as, if I lack motivation, I may be slower to produce whatever kind of writing is needed. On one hand, however, I work rather well under the pressure of a deadline. Therefore should it happen it needs to be done sooner rather than later, it may drive me onward despite whatever passion I feel.

What makes you passionate about writing?:

I’ve had a passion for writing since I was very young. This started with short stories and poetry in elementary school, from the motivation of my fourth-grade teacher. I actually struggled quite significantly to comprehend words and writing as a whole. However, my passion for creating has driven me onward despite those early struggles. Since then, writing has grown into one of my biggest passions and hobbies to date.

There are a lot of reasons I find myself indulging in writing often. It is a way for me to express my deepest feelings in a beautiful way people can understand. Allowing me a sense of freedom to find myself as a person within words. Something about the concept of characters intrigues me to no end. Developing a character, and watching them grow and change at the tip of your fingers, is inspiring. It has shown me, you can change your destiny and rewrite it, to be what you truly desire.

If I could sum up why I am passionate, it would be simply that it has saved my life over and over again. Allowing me the creative outlet to express myself when oftentimes I find it hard to do otherwise. It has taught me lessons and helped me grow as a person. Writing allowed me to be sincere with myself. And now as I write this I am being sincere in saying it is my biggest passion.

It's hard to pinpoint the exact reason why, however, writing is one of the most effective ways to reach other people. Writing is the universal language of humans, even if through different symbols and meanings. It’s a thrilling adventure, no piece of writing is the same. It is only fitting I speak in a poetic sense about my passion. But in the end, I am simply thankful I found writing as early as I did in my life.

Do you have any previous experience with writing lore or creative writing as a general aspect?:

I have experienced a great deal when it comes to creative writing in my life. I’ve written many stories and poems, none of course that have been published as of yet, but I am hopeful that may change. At this current moment in my life, I’ve been a club officer at my high school, for three years. Our club is called “Dead Poets Society” which is our creative writing club. I’ve been vice president, and president, and will be returning as president this year! In that time I have learned to appreciate the creative minds of not just myself but those I’ve come to work with. We’ve studied poetry, written stories, and overall become very close as a club. I’ve also always been in AP classes related to writing during most of my schooling experience. I think some of the most defining memories of this time were having teachers of mine explain they were blown away by some of the writing pieces I produced. It has stuck with me and driven me to become a better writer.

Within the SRP community, I have also attempted to share my work. Most of my character biographies are in-depth accounts [created VIA canva]. I take pride in these, as they truly display my passion as a writer who enjoys character development. I’ve also had the pleasure to partake in the server-wide writing contest we had a while back. I went on to showcase the piece I wrote to those at my school. I ended up taking second place in the contest, although I later revised the piece to make it better.

Overall my life has been filled with ups and downs when it comes to my overall development as a writer. However, after some encouragement from those around me, I’ve decided to take this next step. Only time will tell whether it is right for me or not.

In your own words, give your definition of lore:

Lore is the backbone of a character, a place, or a thing. It has molded and formed it to be whatever it is in the present moment. It is more than the simple facts of what has occurred, but the intentions, impact, and feelings that came about from each event. Lore is complex, even in what appears to be a simple backstory. Each word is perfectly tailored to fit the desired outcome of the writer. It represents the coming of age, handcrafted by a creative mind. Speaking of lore in any term other than poetry would be inaccurate to the true beauty of it. In short, lore is the heart and soul of both the writer and what or whoever the lore was created to represent.

Lore is a crucial component of any in-depth written masterpiece. Each and every one of us possesses our own unique set of lore. It is both the predetermined story and the experience we have gained from each and every choice we make in our lives. Character lore can often represent a part of ourselves we wish would have played out. Your lore is far from finished, it is a story of both the past, present, and not yet written future.

WRITING PROMPTS:
RULES
  1. You are expected to write in the third person, and narrate in a reliable and neutral tone. Do not focus your prompts specifically on one character’s perspective, but on a bigger picture.​
  2. There is a 300-1000 word limit that applies to both prompts. Because of flow, if you need to go a little over or under, you are permitted to, but as soon as a prompt is 100 words outside the limit, you will be automatically denied.​
  3. The effort and quality of both prompts will be taken into consideration when we accept applications.​

Summarize a character conflict, roleplay conflict, or event that you experienced (server-wide, personal, etcetera- there is no bar for how ‘interesting’ or ‘impactful’ it is). Be sure to follow the above guidelines.

toriigates Professor Application (2).gif
[992 words]

Enshrouded in modern-day bliss, those living on the small isle off the coast of Japan have conformed to the irregular regularity that is Karakura. A city wrapped in mystery, each citizen taking a form of expression that they will dedicate their menial lives to. Each disagrees as to what exactly must be changed within the confines of their home. Yet there is one universal and indistinguishably certain truth, there is a dark presence that lurks over Karakura. Laying in wait to strike the citizens who reside there.

Approaching the eve of October’s end, the forest of Karakura often appears to cry out. The birds begin to scream and heavy rainfall hinders those who wish to pay a visit. Yet this eeriness is not simply that of nature but something far more sinister. The men and women, who often appear to others as religious nutcases, know this far too well. Risking life and limb in an attempt to keep Karakura’s children safe.

There was one such occasion, that will be scarred into the minds of several Karakurans. Starting with a maiden, with ginger hair, Hanae Tominaga, who stalked the forest, accompanied by her faithful coworker, a priestess, Erina Hozumi. They heard shrill cries break out as they made their way down the forest path. Both took out any form of protection they could muster, yet it would hardly be enough. Hanae felt a faint whisper in her ear making her shuttered. However, she could not locate the source of the screams. When she turned around to address her coworker, fearful of what was to come, Erina was nowhere to be found. The yells were now accompanied by Hanae crying out Erina’s name.

As it grew deeper into the night, the dread that hung over the forest thickened. All who had come to find themselves unfortunately wrapped in its jaws were in a great amount of peril. As a group of Karakuran citizens, Hanae included, began to compile together, a sudden staggering thumb overcame the worried hollering. One man dropped to the floor. Pierced by a figure in a raincoat, who held a katana. This figure held the shape of a human, though his flesh and ability told a far different story. A spirit. Hanae cried out to the figure, by name, with such a tone that it was clear she knew it quite well.

“Nikushimi why? You don’t gain anything from this, you only grow more jealous as time passes. More lonely and envious. Do you not remember who you used to be?” She pleaded in an attempt to reason with the spirit.

But the maiden’s cry fell on deaf ears. The spirit began to mock her before an overwhelming sharp pain shot up her right side. She was pierced with the very same blade, clean through her arm. A terrible dread fell over the Karakurans, they fled outside the gates of the forest. The figure menacingly awaited his next victim, uprooting the dirt as he formed a line in the ground with his blade. The maiden and the priestess tried to ward the evil spirit off but were no match alone. It seemed as though the lives that were taken were in vain.

But an overwhelming passion still held firm, they could not allow it to harm anyone else. As the crowd of guests watched onward, the shrine workers marched back into the woods. Crying out prayers that their kami would protect them. And as if the god had heard their plea, from the gates stormed officers of the Karakura police department, and from the depths of the woods came another maiden and the guji of the monastery.

They took up formation, back to back, the officers drawing their weapons. But the presence of the spirit took them off guard. The shrine workers pleaded with the officers, urging them to have faith in what they were trying to accomplish. There was no explanation as to how this could even be possible and so they agreed.

The spirit came at the workers, the Guji taking up her bow staff. Hanae watched onward as they battled, pinning weapon against weapon. Suddenly, an Ofuda was pulled from the crowd. It was placed against the forehead of the figure, and he quickly faltered, vanishing. Back to back the officers and the staff pursued deeper into the woods. Until they came to a stone circle, residing outside the bear cave. In the center of the circle just below the waters, the spirit lay in wait. Weakened by the power of the Ofuda.

The shrine staff and the officers circled the center of the well. Hanae looked down upon the spirit, the fear had subsided, replaced by an anger for the lives lost at the evil figure’s blade. From deep within, she yelled out “Be gone spirit. This is your end. In the name of Chiharu-Yamatsumi, you shall be rid of.” The rest followed the chant, the spirit screeched in horror at how this could be. Shrinking further and further into the waters. And suddenly the forest was quiet once more.

With no time to waste, they placed a boulder over the well, saying several ancient words to completely seal the spirit away. As they turned to one another in shock at what they had just experienced, one universal gesture was heard, a sigh of relief. They were safe, the reign of terror the spirit had imposed on the forest was no more. But being what Karakura truly was at heart, they knew the city did not have fairytale endings. The war they had fought, risked their life and well-being for, was far from finished.

However, that night, each of the warriors who battled parted ways. Taking their lives, which they were rather lucky to have kept intact, with them. This night would be remembered by all, most importantly the maiden with ginger hair, whose dreams were haunted by Nikushimi’s voice and eerie form each and every night.

Create a folklore tale based on an existing area in Karakura of your choosing; tell us a story! Show us how creative you can get. Be sure to follow the above guidelines.

toriigates Professor Application (4).gif
[990 words]

It is said, the ancient waters of the Ochiba Forest are pure. Overflowing with the protection from both Karakura’s Kodama and the Shinsei and Seinaru Monastery that look down upon it. The pool surrounding Kodama’s tree has fostered flourishing wildflowers, its still and calm current alluring those who visit. But there is a tale, long since forgotten, covered by one generation of shrine workers, who could not bear to pass on the events that had transpired. It is a story not for the faint of heart, sending shivers down the spines of those who come to hear of it.

During the Edo period of Karakura, two decades after the monastery had come to receive its current name, a gathering of anti-shinto believers slaughtered a priest beside the pool. It was done in the middle of the night, as heavy rains enshrouded the land. Those gathered were fueled by the anger that the kami had not granted their prayers. Proclaiming they were not worthy enough to behold divine blessings, their greed would spoil the sacred gift instead.

When the deed was finished, they cast the priest’s body into the water and as they turned to leave, from the bottom of the pool they heard a raspy, hissing voice remark “Sacrifice them all and I will give you what you desire.” They shuttered glancing about, from behind the body a dark creature crawled out. It was dark-skinned, red-clothed, and it had no eyes or a nose. Simply a mouth for a face. Hideous in-human features, that oozed darkly, like black tar and oil clumping in the sea. It reached out towards them, a vile chuckle echoing deeply.

The anti-Shinto believers were in shock, but upon conversing with the monster, they came to understand. The creature was a mouryou yokai, who preyed on the dead. Growing stronger by the souls it acquired. The waters were its home and it wished to be freed. The anti-Shinto believers recalled what the yokai had meant by “sacrifices” and he, whom they would eventually call Kyuuketsuki, a name meaning vampiric, offered them a pact. In exchange for the blood of the monastery workers and their guests, he would grant them immense power once he was freed. The souls of those sacrificed would pay tribute, taking the place of his own soul which had been sealed in the waters.

The anti-Shinto believers accepted his pact, binding it in blood. They called themselves Kestu-Dansei, the blood men, the embodiment of a cult. During their terror over the city spanning a two-year period, they abducted shrine workers in the dead of night, or for that matter, any unsuspecting guests who attempted entry into the shrine. With each sacrifice Kyuuketsuki grew stronger, trapping their souls within the pond, in exchange for a piece of his own that had been sealed.

As more people disappeared into the watery depths, worry amongst the shrine and the city as a whole began to spread. Fewer people visited the monastery, just as Kestu-Dansei had wanted. They wished for Shinto to die out, making way for the worship of new gods, themselves, alongside Kyuuketsuki, after obtaining his power. However, their foolish scheme was as clouded as the pool’s water was in blood. On the night of their one-hundredth sacrifice, Kyuuketsuki peeled himself from the waters, his once bright red ropes stained darkly. Able to sustain his form,
he floated just above the surface of the waters. In celebration, Kestu-Dansei cried out in joy that the kami would be no more.

But as Kyuuketsuki looked down upon them, a great, menacing laugh welled up inside of him. He spoke, in a warped, cynical fashion. “Oh, foolish mortals. Thank you for freeing me. Now you shall rest with the souls you sacrificed to me.” The men fell quiet, stunned at his words, but before they could speak, they felt their hearts begin to race, faster and faster, unable to calm themselves by the overwhelming dread. Their lungs began to fill with blood. The irony, they were drowning in the very thing they worshiped. They fell to the floor, coughing violently. It felt as though their hearts could burst at any moment, and so they did. The men fell limp against the ground, as dead as the Shinto believers and priests they had slaughtered.

Kyuuketsuki stole each of their souls, drowning them in the depths of the pool. He fled through the forest wreaking havoc upon the natural flow of the woods. All those who resided within the Ochiba forest that night were slain. His reign of terror seemed as though it would never quell. The shrine workers were too afraid to venture into the woods, and the kami was quiet, however, the Kodama of Karakura was angry.

Her forest was in ruins at the hands of not only Kyuuketsuki but also the morals who aided him. With the power of the gods bestowed upon her, she blinded him with a great light. He hissed, shrinking in horror, before retreating into the waters as he could not stand the sight. There he was sealed once more, along with those who had been sacrificed. The innocent souls, that of the priests and shrine guests were taken into the roots of her tree and later fostered flowers around the pool. However, those of Kestu-Dansei were given the same fate as their so-called “god.” An eternity of drowning under the water for the unspeakable acts they had committed.

Soon after, any account of those who went missing vanished from Karakura’s records. The forest was deemed safe, the deaths were blamed on bears, and the remaining shrine workers were sworn to secrecy. Later they took their secret to the grave. The Kodama continues to watch over the forest. Protecting it as she so wished. While Kyuuketsuki and his followers watch the Shinto believers and priests ascend the monastery steps each and every day. Knowing they would never see the light of day again.

Last edited:

RexLobo

Level 106
Administrator
Lore Coordinator
Teacher Lead
RexLobo
RexLobo
Omega+
ACCEPTED
After discussing with the team, you have been chosen for the Lore Team. Please DM rexypoo on Discord to get your roles set up.
Congratulations, and welcome to Lore’s Court.​

Users who are viewing this thread