mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Can AI make minecraft skins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction

As the thread's question asks, can stable diffusion make Minecraft skins?
Unequivocally, the answer is yes. Stable diffusion is capable of making Minecraft skins, fairly good ones at that!
Prompted to make a skin with light tone, pink hair, and description of clothing
1725687411033.png

Same prompt as above but with beige hair
1725690439410.png
The skins above are AI generated! (First image at 3000steps, second at 7000steps) They are rendered on novaskin, the main question you might is: how did you do it, and who made it?
I'll talk about all of that below, but to note, this model is fine-tuned by me on a free evening I had! Do note as well that this is trained on a very VERY small amount of data and not a lot of epochs, so this is likely a fraction of what it could really do.

Background

About me

I have interest in AI and had the free weekend to invest time into Minecraft skins.

I am going to be explaining what stable diffusion is in very abstract terms, as I personally am not well-versed in this field or the rigor of the mathematics behind this process. But I will be happy to answer any specific questions to the best of my ability.
The namesake that this has originated from is the process of "diffusion", which in my mind, I imagine as dropping ink into a glass of water, slowly diffusing color into it.

This creates a muddy water that otherwise holds no information of what it has been previously, we then can describe what we would like this muddy water to become. Maybe we would like to make it purple.

To make it purple, we "encode" the knowledge of "purple", in which the diffusion model will try its best to add more ink into this muddy water for it to become purple (decoding process, and the step after the encoding is the latent representation).

Anyhow! The end result is what I would want, in the real world example, an image

My frustrations
I could not for the life of me find any decent models that could generate minecraft skins, all of them are either really poor or does not suit my need in the slightest. I thought I could do better, so, well, I gave it a go!

Challenges
I am not the first to tackle this, there are some notable people that has attempted to, biggest of which is https://monadical.com/

However, it's ugly. Really ugly. No, really, the generated skin is not something I would ever be caught dead in.
So.. this raise an important question, where did they go wrong, and how did I go right?

The devil lives in the details
Let's look at some of the skins that monadical made

1725687661647.png

You can't really say it looks good. Sure, they are indeed minecraft skins, but.. they look terrible. Really terrible, but why?
The skin makers among the readers would immediately know: there are no transparent layers.

But.. there is a more pressing issue we must address

Minecraft skins are not 3-dimensional, but a projected 2-d

Right.. so, Minecraft skins are not really 3 dimensional. It's a texture map that is placed on a connected cubes that makes a player model!

We as humans have tendencies to associate things to be anthropomorphic, when deep blue was first made and beat Garry Kasparov, we assumed it was intelligent, maybe we could use it to solve other games like Go. It wasn't, it's only good at what it was trained to do, it does not learn the way us humans do, it does not come up with its ingenious move through complicated thoughts or any chain of reasoning.

I feel the same way now with every AI, but we cannot help but assign human traits to AI. A famous paper "attention is all you need" is a big example, we try to presume that models have "attention" to them, when really, god knows what it is doing adding embeddings together with the weight it likes.

We say "multi-head attention" as the attention to many things, but.. is it? Or just another linear transformation on top of attention heads concatenated together. This brings me to the current point, sure, humans would find it difficult to create skins on a 2d texture without a 3d model to guide, but remember, machines aren't humans. They do not have the same spatial understanding as we do, they have much richer representations than us humans can access (at least, that is my belief). Therefore, unlike the monadic approach where they supply the model with a 3d representation of the player along with the 2d mapping to aid it, I decided against it. And it works, not that I am particularly surprised by it.

If you skipped through the rant, to reiterate: nothing special should've been done to the 3d representation

Final thoughts

Truth be told, I am not sure what to write for this, I am just excited to show off the advancements that AI has made, along with how it is also applicable to minecraft as well under the right training conditions and data. I hope this post was interesting to someone and inspire them in some way. If anyone is curious on the actual technical-technical details, feel free to ask, and if this gets enough interest, I'll write a part 2 and train this on more data to see how far this can go.

I am sure this could be extended to many more clothing styles, hair shading types, accessories, etc. This is my first time doing anything with diffusion models, so if there is a next iteration to this, I am hoping I can do things a little better.

Technologically, this is testament to the power of pre-training and how models really don't see things the same way we do, to be able to understand a 2d texture map with almost no prior understanding. The total cost I've spent on this was ~$5 and a few hours of training time, I have no plans currently on releasing the model weights or the dataset used to construct this data.

Cheers! Happy coding

Last edited:

urufu

Level 7
Urrufu
Urrufu
Rich+
why not use ai to make mineecraft skins?

Because we shouldn't be using AI to replicate the things people put actual effort into making. It's just wrong imo. Like it's not that hard to make a skin, and if you're struggling there is an entire market on the server who are willing to do it for dirt cheap.

It then also comes down to the ethics of actually training it. If you want it to be able to make SRP-styled skins, you'd have to train it on SRP-styled skins. You'd have to at bare minimum get consent from every single person's skin you train it on and no shade to people working on AI, but I find it ridiculously hard to believe that they're actually going out of their way to get that.
Some people put hours of time into making their skins, I doubt they'd appreciate it if someone just nicked it and stuffed it into an AI to make a worse copy.

If the dude's training it on skins he made himself then fair game but at that point why even bother making the AI capable of replicating skins? I get that it's just a few pixels on a screen but it just feels like it's discrediting the tons of people in the community who put the effort in to do it themselves. Fair enough to use AI to get an idea for a skin (I.E asking it to generate an image of an outfit, character, etc, or just asking it to yap about an outfit or something), but the text and images created by AI should only be used as a reference, they shouldn't actually go into use.

imo

electric_sheep_dreams

Level 1
Because we shouldn't be using AI to replicate the things people put actual effort into making. It's just wrong imo. Like it's not that hard to make a skin, and if you're struggling there is an entire market on the server who are willing to do it for dirt cheap.

It then also comes down to the ethics of actually training it. If you want it to be able to make SRP-styled skins, you'd have to train it on SRP-styled skins. You'd have to at bare minimum get consent from every single person's skin you train it on and no shade to people working on AI, but I find it ridiculously hard to believe that they're actually going out of their way to get that.
Some people put hours of time into making their skins, I doubt they'd appreciate it if someone just nicked it and stuffed it into an AI to make a worse copy.

If the dude's training it on skins he made himself then fair game but at that point why even bother making the AI capable of replicating skins? I get that it's just a few pixels on a screen but it just feels like it's discrediting the tons of people in the community who put the effort in to do it themselves. Fair enough to use AI to get an idea for a skin (I.E asking it to generate an image of an outfit, character, etc, or just asking it to yap about an outfit or something), but the text and images created by AI should only be used as a reference, they shouldn't actually go into use.

imo

Wanted to drop my two cents into this matter, Urufu's point is very much understandable.

Art is a medium that takes tremendous effort and work to refine to the point most are at, and generative AI as a field, especially regarding art, has not yet matured enough to have a proper consensus and regulations on it. It would likely take a decade or so more until we reach an understanding between models using available data on the internet to train itself, and how it might harm/benefit livelihood of the original artists.

Regardless! This is not the point of this experiment, it is not intended to replace existing artists in any way, or to be used commercially or non-commercially.
The point of this experiment is to show that models can attain rich understanding of 2d texture which map to 3d spaces, and how despite being pre-trained on images that would appear irrelevant to creating minecraft skins, it managed to anyway.

So while I understand the skepticism Urufu's might have, I'd like to ask you as well to see my stance on this. I have no plans (and have stated so) to release the weights of my model, or the datasets in which it was constructed with. This is all purely an educational question of "Can AI make skins?", or rather, "Can AI understand minecraft textures and mapping?" and not "Can AI make skins in place of actual artists".

Another point I'd like to add is that this whole process is not by any means easy or obvious to follow. Which is why I'd like to document my thought processes on this, to show what it is like to prepare data and how we can see if models can understand them.

Anyhow, cheers! This post is made to share my fascination and finding in how powerful generative AI advances has become, and I hope that can be a takeaway

Iris.fi

Level 37
IrisFi
IrisFi
Rich
not sure if I'd classify minecraft skins as art but I do dislike MOST AI thanks to how AI art works and doubt i'd support this either but you do you, cool to know it works

electric_sheep_dreams

Level 1
not sure if I'd classify minecraft skins as art but I do dislike MOST AI thanks to how AI art works and doubt i'd support this either but you do you, cool to know it works

I appreciate the kind words even if you don't necessarily agree with generative AI! As I mentioned above, it's really a gray area on this, and needs a lot of time to mature until a stable ecosystem/relationship could be formed between generative AIs and artists.

Regardless! This is for educational purposes on taking stable diffusion out of its domain, and seeing how it performs and strictly that, not to replace artists by any means. I have no intentions of releasing the weights or dataset for this model

Mialyansa

Level 78
I think usage of ai material is looked down on srp and for good reasons. I dont think it will be much longer till they officially ban ai material on srp. Ai presence in the server has been only to create poor applications and mods are getting tired of checking that low effort material.

electric_sheep_dreams

Level 1
I think usage of ai material is looked down on srp and for good reasons. I dont think it will be much longer till they officially ban ai material on srp. Ai presence in the server has been only to create poor applications and mods are getting tired of checking that low effort material.
I can understand the gripe! This has been a pervasive issue through many places, really. From academia, applications, and so on.

Although I'd like to emphasize that this thread is strictly on generative AI for images! Not for LLMs, and I think a distinction should be drawn on the prejudice.

electric_sheep_dreams

Level 1
Because it would put a lot of tailors out of business. USE AI TO ASSIST NOT TO CREATE.
Ideally, this is where I'd like generative AI to head! There's already a lot of people using generative AI, personally, my usage is in co-pilot, generative AI trained on existing code to help me write boilerplate(boring code)

I am sure a lot of these tools already exist in famous softwares (e.g., Photoshop), it would be nice there would be a tool to assist tailors. This is not the goal of my project (it is purely for educational purposes), but if anyone is interested in attempting to create a tool to assist skinmakers, I will be happy to answer any inquiries with regards to how I prepared the data and fine-tuned stable diffusion!

ilovemyplane

Level 103
ilovemyplanex2
ilovemyplanex2
Omega+
It could, yes, but skin tailors don’t deserve to have to worry about potentially being put out of business because of some robot. Just support your local actually human tailor lol

Popo

Level 64
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
This thread was originally created with the ideals of seeing how artificial intelligence would react to making Minecraft skins if fed with certain information and whatnot. This doesn't mean that AI can actually replace tailors who put hard work, since what the AI needs to try to replicate SchoolRP shading is to be fed human made skins in the first place.

Ideally, I wouldn't support the concept of using a robot to make you a skin via the AI skimming through skins made by specific tailors. At the same time, you aren't exactly disallowed from trying to find an AI model that can copy a shading style and replicate it by describing something. I believe, however, it's best to support the people who put hard work into their skins over AI that just replicates their work through a set of boring code.

Very cool thread, very enlightening. Whilst I can see why people would be frustrated about the idea of artificial intelligence being able to replicate skins, this is also a very interesting way to display how far our technology has come. In the next few years, there will, unfortunately, be a model that can outdo the current tailors on the server if we're looking at the pace that AI is progressing and if it's fed a lot of data regarding Minecraft skins.

wethecreature

Level 107
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
This thread was originally created with the ideals of seeing how artificial intelligence would react to making Minecraft skins if fed with certain information and whatnot. This doesn't mean that AI can actually replace tailors who put hard work, since what the AI needs to try to replicate SchoolRP shading is to be fed human made skins in the first place.

Ideally, I wouldn't support the concept of using a robot to make you a skin via the AI skimming through skins made by specific tailors. At the same time, you aren't exactly disallowed from trying to find an AI model that can copy a shading style and replicate it by describing something. I believe, however, it's best to support the people who put hard work into their skins over AI that just replicates their work through a set of boring code.

Very cool thread, very enlightening. Whilst I can see why people would be frustrated about the idea of artificial intelligence being able to replicate skins, this is also a very interesting way to display how far our technology has come. In the next few years, there will, unfortunately, be a model that can outdo the current tailors on the server if we're looking at the pace that AI is progressing and if it's fed a lot of data regarding Minecraft skins.
W

robinzee

Level 34
robinzee
robinzee
Rich
The issue with generated art--and I am including Minecraft skins in this, however ridiculous it makes me sound--is not that it looks bad, or that it has artifacts. The truth is that these things will get patched, as models get better and they are fed more data.

The issue is that we, as humans, have historically used art to express ourselves, our innermost emotion, to reflect on the world around us and the world unseen by us. Art is meant to be human, and no water-guzzling art-stealing machine will be able to be human right now. Whenever I see somebody use generated art, a little piece of me dies inside. (Niko, don't think I don't see your playing cards)

The grifters will call it "the democratisation of art", but art has already been democratic. Anybody can pick up a pencil, or open up MS Paint, or make a Minecraft skin. No, I think that algorithm-generated images are no democratisation, they are "content", slop to be consumed and discarded, to be sucked dry and forgotten about. It offers no insight into the human soul. And if you don't see the difference between an algorithm and art at this stage, I beg you, go to galleries, not just the realistic ones but modern ones, too; go to the cinema to see good films, read books written by humans, enjoy art and take your time doing so! Think critically about the things you see, listen to music with intention, stop eating everything up and ask yourself: why did I like this? Why have I been moved by this piece?

Ultimately, the question shouldn't be "Can an algorithm make Minecraft skins?", but "Should we let an algorithm make art?" To answer your question, yes. To answer my question, no.

bmei

Level 11
I've been on SRP for a few years now, and I am a tailor and an artist. The thing we need to talk about with AI generated skins is how much you will effect our community. Tailoring brings people together, it's a genuine hobby for a lot of people and it's always been an essential part of SRP. Tailoring has been around forever and for some people, that's the only reason they play the server. They just adore making skins. Trying to artificially recreate that, one, is dystopian as hell, but also it won't look good. An AI will never have the creativity of a genuine tailor. You will never be a tailor by inputting prompts into an AI. But even then - AI won't be able to properly recreate the character you've imagined in your head. Why don't you commission a genuine real person? You're stealing peoples skins that they pour work into - and using that to train a bot? Like mentioned in a comment before, it's obvious you, and anyone else that would be doing this, won't be collecting consent from the tailors either. The people that are okay with this are gross. Don't infect our community with AI more lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread