Command Suggestion

The FJ

Level 94
ilovemyplanex5
ilovemyplanex5
Rich+
IGN: RegalHarp1989
DATE: June 8th, 2023
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: A /classlist command for professors and teachers to use that displays a chat message similar to the /apartment members command consisting of the IGNs/RPNames of each of the students in their current class.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
  • Teachers and professors would be able to see the names of the students in their class. A lot of the times, when creating interactive activities for students in classes to partake in, IC educators will call on students to answer whole-group discussion questions. Instead of having to walk around the classroom, awkwardly trying to figure out what one nametag says, teachers and professors can use /classlist and find the [RPName/IGN] of the student.
  • For some classes, teachers/professors take their students outside of the classroom and onto the roof or other places (I've seen the track for Phys. Ed, the dodgeball quite often, the library sometimes). It'd be great for us to see the class list and know who we're missing so that we can use their RPNames on a /class broadcast to call them to the new location.
  • Professors/Teachers would also not only be able to see who's in their class, but also how many people are in their class. For some activities, IC educators need to have students in teams. Creating a command such as /classlist would make it easier for the teachers/professors to divide the class into even teams. While professors/teachers can technically already see how many students are in their class by scrolling up in chat and seeing the chat message showing someone joining the class, once the class gets far enough in, those messages will be buried in chat.
-------------------------------------------------------------
  • Teachers and professors will be able to take attendance. While this wouldn't ever end up ever being something mandatory, educators in-game could use their /classlist command to find the names of everyone in the class at that time and read them off in a chat message. This could be used to see who in the class is present, and who is AFK, which is an issue that I face when teaching my classes. People will show up just to be AFK the whole time.

Last edited:

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
This is unnecessary, at least for the reasons you've described. You only have 20 minutes to hold an interesting activity, and wasting that time on something as mundane as attendance is a great way to lose player engagement. Additionally, if a player is AFK or isn't at wherever you've moved your class to, they are no longer your problem; it's best to focus on the people that you do have, the ones who actually care enough to follow you and listen to what you're saying. If you spend all your time worrying about people who aren't actively contributing, you'll bore the ones who actually want to.

Side note, if you want to ensure players know where they are going, you can use /class broadcast <message> to remind them of where you are.

SimplyLK

Level 67
SimplyLK
SimplyLK
Rich+
+1
I am actually a fan of this idea, teachers and professors should have a way to understand who is in their class who isn’t. I as a faction lead would discourage making taking attendance an activity you partake in, as a teacher/professor you need to be engaging and take hold of their interests early on.

Oliverium

Level 53
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
+1
I am actually a fan of this idea, teachers and professors should have a way to understand who is in their class who isn’t. I as a faction lead would discourage making taking attendance an activity you partake in, as a teacher/professor you need to be engaging and take hold of their interests early on.
Taking attendance would take awhile but perhaps teachers and professors can use actions such as /me takes attendance while students settle in. It'll be nice especially for when students glitch their way in or come in uninvited.

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Reviewed
Thank you for your suggestion!

- We're working on creating custom tab lists for players in classes and teachers after a recent update to the system.​

Users who are viewing this thread