mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

crime roleplay overhaul; a suggestion by xan.

Tarxan

Level 25
IGN: xansder
DATE: March 11th, 2021.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: There’s quite a bit that needs to be addressed in the department that is CrimeRP, most commonly referred to as GangRP. In order to make this suggestion easy to read and understand, it will be divided up into several parts and each of them will focus on that main topic.

— VERIFIED GANGS AND THE PROBLEM WITH THEM.
Verified gangs were brought back once Minobu decided to take over the crime discord, which is a wonderful thing, but I feel as if some vital rules were left out when this system was revamped. These rules being left out does not allow GangRP to grow and remain interesting. Most can agree that anything crime-related as of recent has been bland and repetitive. Get permissions, kidnap and kill, repeat. It gets much blander when you allow verified gangs to ally with each other. Yes, I’m looking at you, River and Unforgiven.

Allow me to explain.
Two clearly very powerful gangs, both with two turfs each and a hefty amount of members… Are allied for what reason? There’s no competition, really. It makes no sense and honestly ruins the potential of what people would love to see again: A gang war.

As of right now, that’s not happening and most likely will not happen any time soon. With these two very large gangs now allied to create an even larger gang, nobody will want to go up against it with numbers like that. That number being a whopping 48 when River and Unforgiven are together, versus other numbers like 16, 10, and even 6. The difference in these numbers will discourage others from challenging one or the other gang because they ultimately are one big gang. If that number seems like nothing to you, realize that the police force only has 21 officers. Both gangs on their own outnumber the amount of cops on the force.

I, as well as most other players, would agree that we would want to keep GangRP a very open faction, meaning you do not have to apply to be a part of it. However, I would suggest that the member cap per gang was put back into place. If not, I’d say something like a literal gang application, including lore of the gang and why they’re in Karakura. It may seem “dumb” to common members of the crime faction, but you have to remember that this is all roleplay. Story is very important to roleplay.

Touching lightly on verified gang activity, I feel as if gangs should be more active, and I’m not talking about events; I’m just talking about having a bigger presence in Karakura if that's what they strive to have as a gang. The only reason why people know about gangs is Touko and Spray Paints ICly. Gangs should do more stuff such as gang wars, assault and just more general crime. Without things like that, they seem like any other citizen wanting to perform some sort of "social experiment" in Karakura.

— GANGS AND THEIR INVOLVEMENT IN EVENTS.
Something that has become very prominent to people both inside and outside the CrimeRP community is the lack of involvement that gangs have with other factions. And even when they are created, planned, and executed-- they’re typically given negative feedback because of their endings or how similar it was to another event. Gang events now either lack taste or seem repetitive. Even with that

Events with pre-planned endings are boring and useless.

The problem with events is that a majority of the time since the events do not have a pre-planned ending, then CopRP wins. There is no deterring this fact nor alternating it. It is a simple fact that in real life and so happens in School RP, police presence is adamant and top tier. A way to combat this never-ending loop of GangRP always losing in a majority of events is for better planning on the GangRP side in my opinion.

Do not be afraid to collaborate with other factions and players to create interesting events! They probably want to see something new as much as you do. Please just remember to make it make sense. Kidnapping someone with no true motive besides “we just can” is not an interesting event.

— PROPER CRIMERP GUIDANCE.
The crime faction, unlike any other, does not require any sort of application or prerequisites for you to be involved in it. This makes way for many faults to fall through the holes of this faction. The crime faction’s general face has been a toxic one, and I don’t blame anyone who sees this faction like that. Most banned players specialized in CrimeRP and their bans are labelled under toxicity. That mindset seems to just… spread, with the amount of LOOC and even OOC arguments that go on within SRP whenever any crime-related action is going on. That aggressiveness will just continue to thrive within that part of the community because there’s no example set.
There’s no tutorial, there’s no application, there’s no guide in general, so any new player is very susceptible to fall into any hole the same way past GangRPers have. You cant necessarily fix this right away, but you can pave a proper path to have a less problematic community that create gangs with actual goals set to them. Promote things you want other gangs to do in the crime discord. Make it apparent to players that there are things you want to see from them.

With something like this in place, the crime roleplay community can seek better purpose. And touching lightly on a previous suggestion, I'd like to say that if you think doing scarring, gorey actions is the "whole point" of crime-related roleplay, I genuinely suggest that you take some time to reflect on why you got into Gangs on SRP in the first place and how to better spend your time on the server. I can guarantee that descriptively writing out decapitating a human is not the purpose of crime roleplay nor "what makes it fun".

— CLARITY WITHIN CRIMERP.
Far too many times there has been confusion within proper execution of CrimeRP, and far too many times have the answers been switched up between different staff members. This happens on a daily basis and could be solved with just a more simplified section of the combatrp section of the rules on the forums. It’s not exactly that hard to create a format that is easy for any player to understand and not confuse any permissions with another, and I’m unsure why the staff hasn’t come together as a collective already and established something like this.

In reality, you could really just add this to the weapons profile document, adding a permissions tab to each of the profiles.
Ex.:

[INSERT ALL THE INFORMATION ABOUT A BALLISTIC MASK HERE]

PERMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
- In order to use this item on a player, you must already possess Major Assault Permissions, or anything above this level of permission. (E.g. Kill Permissions.)
- Being knocked out with this item grants the victim Major Assault Permissions & Mug Permissions, as well as anything below that including Minor Assault Permissions.

The same should be done for general permissions.
Ex.:

Minor Assault Permissions, commonly referred to as MAP’s, are given to you when:
- You are provoked by another character in roleplay, such as name-calling or harassment.
- You are assaulted in a miniscule manner such as slapping or tripping your character.
- General OOC consent by all involved parties to combat.

When you have Minor Assault Permissions, it means you can:
- Punch, kick, or slap the other character.
- Trip the other character.
- Any sort of attack without a weapon that will not break bones. Using a weapon to carry out Minor Assault Permissions risks the other player getting Mug Permissions on said weapon, as well as Major Assault Permissions or even Kill Permissions.

And so on.

With an addition like this, there would no longer be the confusion of what permissions are valid and what are not when it comes to attacking with items. If there is any other confusion as to what permissions are needed to perform certain permissions, the rules on that should be adjusted immediately.

— EXPECTING BETTER FROM THE CRIME FACTION.
This is a rather small section, but I felt as if it deserves a little bit of light to it.
There’s a lack of taste within the crime roleplay community as of right now. It's all become repetitive and boring. More should be brought into the server and verified gang owners should be granted with more responsibility to carry out tasks and events that could bring exciting new roleplay opportunities to regular players. Things like street racing, underground dog fighting, human trafficking, etc. Get creative, crime roleplay community. Do a little research and talk to other players.

Additionally, I'm well aware (and many others can agree), that the characters within the gangs apart of the crime faction are often stale and typically are copy paste characters. This is something we can't really fix, but I'd like to point it out to any crime community roleplayer reading this.

And keeping on the topic of characters, on behalf of all of SRP, I beg of you GangRPers: PLEASE STOP USING KILL PERMISSIONS JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE THEM. It's become such a headache-inducing thing to experience, killing off other people's characters just because they snitch. Even if you do decide that the character is worth killing, why not be creative? Why not use the advantage of psychological terror, bringing dread and anxiety to a character? Killing off characters once you get permissions is not only annoying to the victim character's player, but it's also boring.
Think about it this way: If a superhero killed off the villain in the first chapter, there would be no plot. There's no story. It's not interesting.

— REALIZING THAT COMPENSATION IS NOT ALWAYS GOOD.
For the past few months, there has been feedback, on feedback, on feedback by GangRPers galore about how CopRP should be nerfed and almost every once of these have been accepted to compensate for the GangRP community’s wants. I don’t believe this was the right choice, honestly.
To believe that GangRPers should be given a “fair” chance to commit crimes is such a flawed mindset because in reality- this is not how being a criminal works. In the real world, when you’re a wanted criminal committing murders and putting people’s lives in danger, you don’t get to wager with the police on how often they should use their tasers or shoot their glocks. Just be good at what you do and you should be fine.
Reducing the amount of CCTV around the map can only make sense to a certain extent. Not only does it not make sense that government-appointed officials would not up their security in areas/times of high crime in a
high crime city, but you have to realize that not everyone is going to be reported even if CCTV is present. On top of that, as far as I know, CCTV is still 100% able to be broken, so it's really just a matter of playing your cards right and executing your crime in an intelligent way.
In reality, crime is not supposed to be “balanced” nor “fair”, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a video game or not. Putting GTA into example; if you get a 5-star wanted level, you have to deal with all the cops and the SWAT that comes your way. GangRP and CopRP are not equal, should never be equal, and cops should always have an advantage. Unless there is some sort of proposal of ICly corruption on KPD’s part, but that may never happen.

I ask that all GangRPers, CopRPers, and staff come together and realize that being a part of the KPD means that you should be OP.

At the rate we are going with, there will be certain outcomes and endings such as:
- GangRP will become equal to CopRP and the problems the KPD had last Summer being that too many Cops die in situations.
- GangRP dies, or CopRP dwindles immensely due to roleplayers feeling like they're unable to actually do their job as expected.

If you wanted to have a “fair” fight between cops and criminals, I would think that modded GTA would be a better option for you.

— COMING TO CONCLUSIONS.
When making this suggestion, I wanted to remain as neutral as possible as I've always been, I've communicated with both crime community roleplayers, members of the KPD, and even regular roleplayers to see all of their outlooks on current GangRP.

All in all, it would be a miracle for the crime community of SRP to finally get their shit together as a whole and create an enjoyable faction that everyone can get into. This cannot just be a small group effort, we all need to pull in together and improve on it.

• To the crime community, start coming up with more creative ways to commit crimes and be involved with other factions. Make yourselves stand out.
  • Instead of nerfing KPD, maybe we should encourage more diverse forms of CrimeRP, instead of regular old GangRP.
  • Staff, refrain from giving more buffs to crime faction roleplayers and nerfing the KPD. Instead, encourage crime faction roleplayers to play smarter, not harder.

“It’s roleplay, not rollplay.”

I'd like to thank everyone who answered me honestly with their concerns when I asked them in DMs.

And thank you for reading my suggestion. Please remember to be respectful to one another in your responses.
Have a great day.

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
And keeping on the topic of characters, on behalf of all of SRP, I beg of you GangRPers: PLEASE STOP USING KILL PERMISSIONS JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE THEM. It's become such a headache-inducing thing to experience, killing off other people's characters just because they snitch. Even if you do decide that the character is worth killing, why not be creative? Why not use the advantage of psychological terror, bringing dread and anxiety to a character? Killing off characters once you get permissions is not only annoying to the victim character's player, but it's also boring.
Think about it this way: If a superhero killed off the villain in the first chapter, there would be no plot. There's no story. It's not interesting.

Please remember this. Sometimes I wish that weapons weren't as common so everyone would be stuck doing fistfights instead so the characters all stay roughly the same (roster wise). Half the time character-killings is where people REALLY want to get staff involved, and I'd really like gangrpers to try and think outside the box of "The only crime we can commit is MURDER!" It's not a good mindset for a roleplay.

EDIT: I forgot to add this on. but I think it'd be cool to see gang members actually hang out together as a group WITHOUT masks and attire. Gangs are meant to be groups of friends who do crime (imo). At the moment gangs just seem like groups of random kids that punch other kids.

atoki

Level 123
atoki
atoki
Notable+
Just because you have KPS, doesn’t mean you have to use them. Any IC motives?? Or do people just want to get as many kills as possible, no matter how truly loved and developed the character is ...? That’s one thing that REALLY annoys me. I don’t mind KPS towards cops and using it then, but every day students? Eh...

Prosthettics

Level 40
Prosthettics
Prosthettics
Rich
Thanks for this feedback, love to see stuff like this.

In regard to the alliance of UNFORGIVEN & The River, that was formed long ago to take down another gang of which almost matched the numbers, although unfortunately it disbanded before an actual war could happen; this alliance has carried on for longer than it should & I've since DM'd the River Lead asking for a termination of the alliance alongside a potential gang war, to spice things up a bit.

CCTV is still 100% able to be broken,

As for this, cameras are not able to be broken/circumvented in any way shape or form and has been this way for months due to it complicating situations when people are unaware of cameras being broken, resulting in voids/re-do's of situations that overall became a headache for every party involved; thus this led to the removal of excessive CCTV alongside the introduction of body cameras to compensate.

Apart from minimized CCTV the KPD hasn't been inherently 'nerfed', the only other changes being the addition of the mechanic that forces following turn based tasing/shooting in order to get rid of the need to spam copy & pastes when trying to have detailed CombatRP with officers

For everything related to the Combat Rulebook/Crime faction as a whole, all of this has already been discussed between Minobu & myself, we are currently working on getting all of it sorted out/put together with future KBM updates.

Minobu

Level 218
Minobu
Minobu
Notable+
ACCEPTED / DENIED

Thank you for taking the time to write out the following Document

Since it's quite lengthy I would like to address the main points that are mentioned with this and what we are essentially accepting. As most of this is already in progress / being typed out as we speak. I hope you can consider that these do take time to implement and write out alongside giving a proper form of time to detail of attention, as otherwise, it may result in rushed methods of pushing GangRP which could spiral ultimately into an array of issues in the future and create a loop right back to square one.

VERIFIED GANGS

- These mainly are already being worked on, and are being written out in great detail of how they will pan out in the near future. As for allies, they have been cut to some degree and limited for the time being; The River and Unforgiven will not be able to form alliances unless it's for a temporary threat that poses an IC disadvantage to both parties and presented my way with proper evidence. Meaning this can only be arranged ICly and will only be done based on IC Events. While as of now the system is very broad, I do intend to drop massive featured updates in the upcoming months/weeks arranged with the Black Market, The New Map, And overall lore being written over it. In the main perspective, this can be seen as a trial period where we are gathering information to build the most stable form that is possible to produce. If your worries are related to Gang's Member counts the issue will be resolved after an IC-Event takes place to which an announcement will fill in why this would take place rather than dividing it with an OOC Rule; to which then would be reinforced both ICly and OOCly

The overall 'application' process would be denied in regards to the cap suggestion, but we'll post varied updates relating to them.

GANGS AND THEIR EVENTS

- Collaborating with other factions is something we are also working on and pushing out events. It is actually namely one of the first things we decided to make progress on as to why one of the first updates pushed was Spray Paints additions with the Shopping Faction. It creates a much more positive Roleplay Community if everyone can partake to some degree. Alongside, the new Event-Lead, we are planning on speaking to them and coordinating much more detailed events that can or could relate to GangRP's scenario and background. While shelling out the system is the top priority we do want to keep things afloat while you lot are there and work out some events here and there when possible

CRIME GUIDANCE

- Renovating the Crime Discord and creating a proper pathway is already in progress

CLARITY

- Already being worked on, as presented inside the new Rule-Section alongside with the renovations the discord as stated above

In Short:

An 'overhaul' is already in progress

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread