mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Description suggestion | boohbs

okkanto

Level 3
IGN: boohbs

DATE: 10/22/23

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
Cosmetic, I would like to suggest adding an extra append to setting descriptions.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
Self-explanatory; I would like an extra append to be added to descriptions, maybe this could be for players with the rank that enables them to append their /me actions, while players below said rank(s) are to have the standard one append for their descriptions. This allows players to be more diverse, and descriptive of their characters that they have put effort into, allowing them to notify others of their dedication and effort to get something across. For example, I have made a really.. long description for a character of mine, though I cannot fit it all in with just one append, forcing me to shorten it down into something far more dry and boring. This would also allow players more room to add interesting listings about their characters, or colors to their descriptions such as gradients and/or color-fades while still having enough room to fit what exactly they want. Though, obviously, using the second append if enabled with said ability (with a rank of Rich or above, if done via purchased ranks).

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion, whether you agree or not.

Infi

Level 132
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
The only issue with this is, when people right click you're character they get flooded with a wall of text that they'll need to scroll too far up to see their chat again. SchoolRP offers the ability to link biography's to your character's description to remedy that. Biographies can be made on the forums and inserted into your character's description with /setbio. There's no need to add a longer description because there comes a point where it's more of a nuisance to read for most players.

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
opinion warning, im expressing my thoughts, oh god, oh no, oh

For example, I have made a really.. long description for a character of mine, though I cannot fit it all in with just one append, forcing me to shorten it down into something far more dry and boring
The issue with this is that you equate length to quality, which in writing, often isn't the case. A lot of people (myself included, even now) fall into the trap of believing that more is good, but it really depends on the context; character descriptions are there to describe the basic physical traits of a character that you can't see from a glance (based off of your skin), and listing off a book's worth of characteristics will lighten the impact of the few that are actually important.

I understand that using descriptive imagery to depict your character is cool and fun, but I guarantee most people will be more engaged with your characters if you applied that less to your description, and more to your roleplay in real time.

kustomzero

Level 130
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
Basically what Infi said, that’s why the biography links were made a thing for your character descriptions that way if people wanted to read more about your character they can just click the link. As much as detailed descriptions are nice and would be a nice thing to implement it most likely won’t happen.

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Reviewed
Thank you for your suggestion!

- Descriptions are already very long given that it's designed to describe the physical appearance of your character, instead we recommend making a Character Biography which you can link in /setbio​
- We're still planning on making descriptions even more friendly "at a glance" which will limit the amount of words displayed to prevent flooding your chat, this will be paired with a [See More] button which will allow you to view the whole thing.​

Users who are viewing this thread