EdoPeriod | Reporter Application

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
OOC (Out-Of-Character) Information:

What is your In-Game-Name (IGN)?: EdoPeriod

Do you have Discord and a microphone? If so, what is your username?: My microphone isn’t the greatest, but I believe it can get me by. My discord username is Kana#2526

List your timezone and country: My timezone is EST (GMT-5). I currently reside in the United States.

Describe your activity:

I’m a very active SchoolRP player. I try to get on every day, usually anywhere between 5 - 10 hours a day. I’m also available on discord at all times, and if needed, I can pretty much always come on when asked. During my day on SRP, I’m mostly on my ImKana account where I actively roleplay as a shopkeeper. I try to roleplay with new players frequently, allowing them to get a better grasp on the server and become better roleplayers. My ultimate goal on SRP is to improve my writing while having fun. If this application is accepted, of course, I will shift some of this activity toward my EdoPeriod account as well and make a healthy balance between them. To end this off, I’ll be as active as needed of me, if not more. I hope to add this type of roleplay to my writing arsenal and make it part of my daily activities.

Do you have any previous bans? If so, list them below:

I currently have a single ban dating back to late 2019. This ban was a minor infraction, lasting 24 hours, it was a ban for maximum warnings. (All of which were for use of emojis in IC chat) Of course, I’ve learned my lesson since then, and am a much more experienced player. I have not since repeated this action, and never plan on it.

Link any significant applications (e.g., Roles/Teams, exclude languages):

College Professor Application #1 (ACCEPTED) - I’m unable to link due to this application being in a long-deleted forums DM with the former college dean WiffyBanter.

College Professor Application #2 (ACCEPTED)
https://schoolrp.net/threads/edoperiod-college-professor-application.41531/

Shopkeeper Application (ACCEPTED)
https://schoolrp.net/threads/motako-application.41101/

What is your motivation to apply for reporter?:

I have many motivations as to why I’d like to apply for the reporter role. Writing is a deep passion of mine, and I believe being a news reporter would allow me to expand my horizons. Of course, this is still just a roleplay server, but I’ve always been fascinated with the ability to inform the public. Just like writing, roleplay is also one of my passions. It allows me to better my writing ability, and reporting would be a brand new type of roleplay for me to experience. I’ve been interviewed by reporters ICly, It’s always interesting to see the kinds of questions you’re asked, and that’s always made me wonder how the person on the other end feels. All in all, the amount of roleplay for me to still experience on the server is immense, and I believe that trying new things is a great way to improve myself. I am devoted to reporting and have even written mock news reports in real life as writing practice in the past.

Do you have any experience with writing? What is your relationship with writing?:

I have plenty of past and current experience with writing. Writing has been my passion for about 5 years now, during this time I’ve learned a lot about making compelling stories. Along with this, I’m still actively learning, and hope to become a noir-fiction novelist in the future. I’m applying in the hopes that I can get out of my narrative-writing comfort zone and learn some new things. Writing narratives only has so many benefits, I’d like to focus my practice in other areas as well. I believe doing news reports on SRP can help to achieve that. After I submit this application, I plan to practice some more by writing news-type posts and reports as a practice to better myself in this area. I treat SRP jobs very seriously, I know that sounds odd, but roleplay or not, they help to better my writing and prepare me for things in the real world.

My relationship with writing is quite complex. When I was very young, just like most people, I didn’t exactly like writing. My handwriting was bad, didn’t understand the point, overall I dreaded it. I remember being in school when I was a lot younger, I wrote the first story I ever enjoyed. It was quite terrible, but it was about my cat who ran away. I believe that’s the first time I ever had a memorable moment with writing, learning how simple letters on paper can transform into an entire world. A few years later, I decided to pick it up as a full-time hobby, and I continue to practice daily.

Are you aware of - and will follow - the set of rules provided to you?:

I’ve gone over the rules multiple times to make sure I have a good grasp on them and will follow them all the way through.

Why should we accept you over others?:

I believe I should be accepted over others due to the fact that I have a long history of writing, and with that comes much experience. I am very active on the server, and I have a lot of time for SRP. Ultimately, I am a fair player and I put full trust in myself to complete this job with efficiency and most crucially, quality. I know I can put the time and effort into reports, especially since it is now summer (Though, not much will change when school comes back around).

Do you understand you have to stay completely neutral with all reports? (Your report can't have any OOC or IC bias towards a specific group.):

I completely understand this, my character is not affiliated with any groups, or against any, thus all of my reporters will lack bias and be completely raw (Outside of editing of course). They will all be written with great care, and display an entirely neutral standpoint, as Nobuyuki is a very serious and careful person.

Do you trust that you will be able to stay active and complete the monthly quota?:

I am very sure that I’ll be able to stay very active and complete the monthly quota. I’ll try to get reports out as frequently as possible.

Summarise what you imagine work as a reporter is:

I’m going to assume that being a reporter is a tough job, and I am completely prepared for that. When I think of a reporter I think of deadlines, a set time to get stories out to the people. Along with this, I assume there will be a quota, a number of stories that I must reach monthly. For the process, I believe it’ll be something like this. A full story about a topic, no interview involved for the sake of protecting the story from bias and generally just informing the public. Using a different format, some reports include interviews, where they get the opinions of the people and distribute that to the media for mass understanding. Sometimes, I’ve seen the two mixed together, where you can pair proper evidence, with the opinion of the public. I am prepared to do all of these things, and more if required of me. I truly believe this job will be a fun one, and I enjoy heavy responsibility.

IC (In-Character) Information:
Treat this section like it is your own character answering it

Full Name: Kurihara Nobuyuki
Preferred Name/Nickname and Title (e.g., Ms, Mr): I prefer to be labeled as Mr.
Current Age (25+): 42
Past job/work experience:

Creative Writing and Business professor at the Karakura Community College, I’ve also worked in retail and as an independent contractor.

Degree/qualifications:

I currently hold an MA in both of my Majors.

Majors: Language Arts Education, Business Education.

Minors: Print Journalism

Nationality and born location:

Nationality: Japanese

Born Location: Kitakyushu, Kyushu, Japan.

Phone Number: 030-705-0824

How would you describe yourself in under 150 words?:

How would I describe myself? To put it simply, I’d consider myself charitable. Along with a few other qualities of course. I deeply care for others, hence the fact I was formerly a professor at Karakura College. I care for the economy in this city, it determines the life of the many children who stay here, and that’s why I’m trying to become a reporter. I want to focus on the economy of Karakura, and help raise awareness for lowering inflation and ending the housing crisis. This is of course among other things, I will report on whatever is required of me. I am also a very calm and mature person, I’m able to handle stressful situations, and I can keep hold composure under pressure.

What are you interested in writing about? How will you achieve this, and would you consider going out of your comfort zone?:

As someone with a business education, I am mostly interested in writing about the topic of business and economics in Karakura. There are deep struggles within the way the companies operate, and how the heavy economy weighs on them. This isn’t my only topic, I’d like to cover white-collar crimes, trade-based crimes, and political topics such as election fraud. While I know this all sounds a bit cliche, and I’m sure that you receive plenty of people who want to cover these topics, I am completely willing to go out of my comfort zone. As a writer, it is a basic requirement when taking a writing class to learn how to adapt to your surroundings and write anything possible. As I’ve taken these classes, I will be able to adapt to pretty much any report required of me, even if they do happen to differ from my main interests. I am here for the job, not to play around, my interests aren’t the top priority.

What are your expectations for the job?:

My expectations are not negative, rather I am preparing to face the workload. I expect deadlines on stories, as a reporter it is a basic understanding that stories must be completed in a timely manner while still remaining top quality. I am entirely prepared for this stress, and I am sure that I’ll be able to churn out many quick, interesting, and marvelous stories that will not only entertain, but inform the citizens of Karakura.

Do you have a criminal record? If so, list the crimes below: I have a clean record, I am an upstanding citizen, and I always uphold the law.

Fluent Languages (Underline your native): Japanese

(Though, if my application is accepted, I plan to work on JSL as a way to communicate with more people for interviews.)

PROMPTS:

You will have to write two ‘reports’ about a topic of your choice. Here we can see how pronounced your writing is and how creative you are. Use your own formatting and your own report idea. (If you’re found plagiarizing an actual report or another applicant, you will be denied.)

#1 - General report. Report about a topic, informing player’s about an event or significant issues to Karakura.

Examining Karakura’s Economic Crisis

Written by Nobuyuki Kurihara

As we all know, Karakura’s politics have been crazed lately with the upcoming election and many different opinions floating around. Despite this, we must still focus on what matters the most. The economy of Karakura has been hit by a large wave of inflation, and what’s more peculiar is that the young adults hold the dominant fortunes throughout the town. Not only that, there are a large number of homeless people here as well. Now, let’s get into why that is.

Firstly, we must take a look at families in Karakura. Many of the children are orphaned, leaving a lot of expenses to be covered solely by them. In a traditional household, many of your living expenses like electricity and basic housing would be covered by your parents. This is regarded as the main reason for the lack of proper households in Karakura, but after ****yzing the properties here, data shows there are many more large-scale situations that contribute. Most obviously, the lack of housing. I’d consider that the ruling issue of homelessness, but there are many many things that we can add. The fact that the majority of homeowners are children is a major issue, of course, it’s good that they’re not homeless, but there has to be a way we can put children into proper homes. After speaking with many of Karakura’s citizens, the people have suggested a large homeless shelter be built somewhere in the city. Next, we’ll go on to the topic of inflation and the oddities of Karakura’s wealth population.

In Karakura, inflation doesn’t progress naturally. Based on the evidence, it actually seems that the citizens have too much spending power. This is quite odd, as once again, the majority of the population is very very young. Let’s get into why this happens, and how we can combat it. Due to Karakura’s economy being generally disconnected from the rest of Japan, the large student population and the small number of businesses heavily affect inflation. I’ve spent days observing stores, and looking at the individual items they contain. Due to the fact that there is a heavy amount of wealth in Karakura, the yen has lost value in this region of Japan. In some stores, shopkeepers have alcohol priced at ¥12,000 - 14,000 yen. This isn’t counting the stores with even higher prices, and I don’t blame the shopkeepers for this. With the low value of Karakura’s yen, it’s incredibly difficult to compete without raising your prices to absurd amounts. If you go to Tokyo, some cheap sakes are usually around ¥900, but in Karakura they can be as high as ¥9,000 yen. This doesn’t just go for alcohol, this goes for pretty much everything that’s sold. So. . . how can we battle this? One popular answer is to raise taxes, raising taxes will ultimately lower Karakura’s inflation, though it will take many years to have an effect. What’s the quickest way to fight this now? Raising prices. I know, I know, that may seem crazy. Wouldn’t that just raise inflation? But no, in Karakura’s case, the more the money that is spent and circulated between people and the government, the better. If we pair this with a tax raise, I believe it will be a great combatant to high inflation.

All in all, Karakura’s housing crisis and inflation create huge problems for the economy, and if they can be resolved, the quality of life will improve tremendously. Stay tuned for more Karakura news.

#2 - Interview. It’s important to have well-rounded questions. Create your own interview with ten questions or more. And answer them yourself.

Hello there Karakura! It’s me, Nobuyuki Kurihara, reporting a fatal car crash that happened right here in the center of Karakura. It seems that two cars were going quite fast and happened to collide, leading to the death of one, and the hospitalization of two. I’ve secured an interview with one of the witnesses on scene. Listen in as I speak with Miss Jun Kuramoto.

NK: Hello there Ms. Kuramoto, I am made aware that you were a witness to this car accident? Do you mind explaining a bit about what you saw?

JK: I’m still a bit shaken up by the whole thing, but I’ll do my best to explain. I was walking down the street with my kids, we were on our way back home from the beach when all of a sudden two loud cars turned the corner and slammed into each other.

NK: I see, did you see how fast they were going? Did anything about the cars stand out to you?

JK: They were going very very fast, from what I saw they turned around the corner and that’s where the collision happened. I was very close to the cars, so I quickly pulled my kids to safety. I didn’t get to see them very clearly, but from what I could tell they were heavily modified.

NK: Do you think that this could’ve been related to some sort of delinquency or a street racing gang? If so, what are your opinions on the racing culture that has recently struck Karakura by storm?

JK: Based on the cars and what the drivers were wearing, I certainly believe this could be related to a street racing crew. In my opinion, the fact people are racing on our streets is disgusting, my kids could’ve been harmed or worse.

NK: You mention seeing what the drivers were wearing, could you describe their outfits?

JK: After the police were dragging the drivers from their vehicles, I got a brief glance at the details on their clothes. One of them was a male wearing a black leather jacket, the other a blonde girl displaying a colorful display of Harajuku fashion. Both of them were seemingly very young.

NK: That’s very interesting, all of this points to street racing! How do you think the police can do a better job at enforcing the anti-racing laws?

JK: I believe the police need to begin monitoring the roads of Karakura more during the night time, I see many things go unnoticed. The high amount of street racing is only one of the problems.

NK: Alright, thank you so much for your input on this situation, have a nice day.

~~~~~

Next, I’ve done a sub-interview with one of the detectives on the scene. Let’s see what they say about street racing and the situation at hand.

NK: Hello there Officer, I’d like to ask you a few questions if you don’t mind. I was told by a witness that they suspect this is an act of street racing? What is your opinion on the matter?

Detective: Yes you are correct, based on witness reports and a thorough crime scene investigation, we’ve come to the conclusion that this is indeed aligned with street racing.

NK: I see, are the police department working toward putting a stop to all of this road madness? If not, will you begin to?

Detective: While street racing hasn’t been our top concern, we at the KPD care for the citizen's safety above all. After this accident, we are going to start working on patrolling the streets for this type of vehicular abuse.

NK: That makes me feel a lot better, I was informed that there was one fatality and two hospitalizations so far, do you have any notable ideas on their condition?

Detective: Currently, both of them are in a medically induced coma, but their vitals are stabilizing and things are looking up. We are wishing the best and the EMS are working hard to keep them alive.

NK: I see, and what will happen once they recover? Will they be prosecuted and face jail time? If not, how can we work to make the punishment for these crimes heavier?

Detective: Well, I can’t say for certain they’ll face much jail time for this, it really depends on the judge's final verdict. They will most likely face some amount of jail time though, there is no denying that they were committing a crime, and they’ve endangered not only their own lives but the civilians of Karakura.

NK: Sounds good! Lastly, do you think any of the current governors will focus their power on the large racing problem in Karakura? If not, do you think they should?

Detective: While I can’t say much for the governors, I do believe that this event will certainly have an effect on Karakura’s politics.

NK: I’m glad to hear it, anyway thank you so much for allowing me to interview you. I’ll let you get back to work now.

Detective: It’s no problem, thank you for the opportunity.

Well there you have it, folks, street racing has indeed become a large problem in Karakura, now we must wait and see how the police and the government handle this upcoming situation. Tune in next time, this has been Nobuyuki Kurihara of Karakura News.

[OOC]
Additional Information: Hello! Hope you don’t mind that I split the interview into two parts, I wanted to get creative with it.

When checking my server activity, please use my ImKana account and my Makurogaeshi account as a base. I don’t currently use my EdoPeriod account due to the fact there is no role on it (hence why I’m applying for this position). Otherwise, have a nice day, and I hope you enjoyed reading this!

Aania

Level 167
Administrator
News Lead
Government Lead
Aania
Aania
Omega+
Accepted!

Upon reviewing your application, you have been deemed fit for the reporter role!
Please DM Aania#0117 once you've acknowledged your application so that I can set up your roles!

Users who are viewing this thread