Event Calendar Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Level 13
IGN: LoveBirdBirdie
DATE: 6/30/2023

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
*This suggestion is a long term idea that would require planning and involvement from several creative teams. I don’t expect it to be implemented any time soon if approved.
Create more annual events tailored to specific holidays, including but not limited to:
  • White day: The holiday 1 month after Valentine’s Day (March 14th) that originated in Japan in which people give gifts in return to those who gave them chocolate and other gifts on Valentine’s Day.
  • Golden Week: A series of public Japanese holidays during a week in April that are often commemorated with events such as cultural tributes, festivals, and flower viewings. It could be set as a week long event OOCly, or perhaps longer depending on the Event Team's opinion on SRP participation
    • A summer festival in the Shopping district for the whole town (not just students).
    • A parade that involves driving vehicles through the main streets of Karakura
(These are just a few examples)

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
According to the Event Calendar, most events are directed at the school’s student population. This is very understandable, considering the server is School RP after all. But there are opportunities for annual events that all characters can take part in. And being that Karakura takes place in Japan, there are cultural holidays that the server can take advantage of.

Adding new annual holiday events are a fun opportunity to get players and in-character organizations more involved. They’re also a good way to give Karakura more character as a roleplay setting.

wethecreature

Level 97
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
Neutral

I made a beautiful essay! Please waste your life away reading it!

If you have event ideas, direct them to Event Suggestion Form, or (since I don't know if we still use that) to the DMs of an event team member. I would say that recent events are being marketed more and more to the entire city, but I don't see all events becoming fully city-wide. If you're unsure if an event can be attended by your role and you are not a student, DM somebody involved in the event process to check if you could participate in some way.

---

Traditional 'Annual' Events Based on Holidays or Celebrations:
these are strictly events that have been done before (from my knowledge and surfing of the discords)

- Halloween (this is more of a technical event; I am unsure if we actually do real events around Halloween. In the past, there have been costume parties, festivals, and more (from what I know))
- Christmas/Winter Holidays
- New Years
- Valentine's Day

----

Some of the ones I mentioned have been done a couple of times but aren't annual, and I do agree that more annual events could be done. In the case that we begin doing more annual events, some of the events that you were suggesting would be good ideas (aka Japanese holidays) rather than some holidays that might be celebrated in the rest of the world more. Although, having annual events could make things a bit harder.

If we have an event set at a certain date or window of time every year, it will be hard to schedule some newer events that need to be around that time as well, as we've at the time set an annual event. Having multiple annual events would just make the problem harder to deal with. We also try to limit ourselves on not doing too many events in one month, so when an event needs to be in a certain month (if it comes to that, or if too many annual events are added), an annual event could possibly make it harder to schedule. Right now, the tradition is to have some sort of Annual Event around Halloween, Winter, New Year's, and Valentine's days. (This excludes dances, right now I'm just talking about holidays).

Technically a workaround to the issue of having a hard time scheduling events is making annual events more fluid, which can be done with the annual events I mentioned, such as doing different things to celebrate Halloween or the Winter Season, or Valentine's creatively. However, if we do a real Japanese holiday, it would either end up with us trying to completely replicate it, or going off on our own, straying a bit from the idea. It in the end depends on what the community would want more.

Some Japanese Holidays also might conflict with already set events, so that would most likely mean changing the details of the pre-existing holidays (which has been done before).

Ultimately, doing more holiday events could be done, but it might be tricky, and cramming annual events in with non-annual events could mess up the flow of the events in the month, as doing an annual festival and then another festival that isn't annual could be a bit weird, or simply cramming 3 different major events into one month could be odd.

• Golden Week: A series of public Japanese holidays during a week in April that are often commemorated with events such as cultural tributes, festivals, and flower viewings. It could be set as a week long event OOCly, or perhaps longer depending on the Event Team's opinion on SRP participation

Doing a week-long event with a bunch of activities could be done? But it might not work. I'm just responding to this specifically because I wanted to point out that week-long events are usually best when it's one event spread out in stages. Doing events each day would be hard to pull off since different event team members would have different schedules and might be doing different things during the week. I believe the only week-long events that have been done were actually events that followed a small storyline, like the serial killer thing, which even had 3 reports made about it. (I feel like that event might've been even longer and spread out).

---

Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt because this is mainly just what I'm saying I think would happen from my point of view from what I've seen with event tean so far. I do agree with you and suggest that you bring your event ideas to somebody and DM one of the event team members so we can suggest it for you. (Or use the form).

EnderBubs

Level 58
Neutral

As mentioned above it’s a good idea but no really need to suggest this seeing how this isn’t sm that could be implemented or charged server wise. You can always dm the event team cord or members and give them ideas like this though! It’s a good idea and I think it would be cool to have more events like this

Tippie

Level 169
Senior Admin
College Sports Lead
Event Coordinator
Tippieeeeeeee
Tippieeeeeeee
Fundraiser+
Reviewed
-The event calendar linked is the school event calendar,for events hosted by the event team we do not follow a calendar.We do however havemany events that relate to Japanese holidays, one that is currently in the planning is the Tanabata Festival, the thing for these events however is that we do not strive to plan them on the exact samedates as they can be inconvenient, we try to create our own reality. (Like you wouldn't want a new years event on actual new years eve). If you have any suggestions for events related to holidays yourself you canDM any event team member or submit them through the form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSesK3XS4aIHZt4Yr7KT7Z7ciwdrV0fZ3kKhCp57bm1CbFcmlg/viewform)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread