mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

(Exam) - 4 Solutions (that may help) to Prevent Exam Crashes in SRP!

Alison Wither

Level 8
Alison_Wither
Alison_Wither
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: Alison_Wither
What's the title of your suggestion?: (Exam) - 4 Solutions (that may help) to Prevent Exam Crashes in SRP!

What's your suggestion?:
Solution 1: Server Optimization for Exam Performance

To tackle server lag during exams, a strategic solution involves relocating the exam environment to a dedicated server with optimized memory and CPU settings. We can mitigate performance bottlenecks by focusing server resources on specific exam-related tasks and disabling non-essential functions like chunk generation. Additionally, limiting the server environment to the exam room itself, surrounded by a void, and utilizing only essential plugins, further streamlines operations. For a seamless transition, the exam room can be seamlessly integrated into SRP through either server connectivity or a distinct IP address for exams. While this solution demands investment in time, finances, and coding efforts, the payoff is a lag-free exam experience, enabling SchoolRP to conduct multiple exams without server crashes. To maintain consistency with SRP aesthetics, the exam room's design can replicate key elements while strategically concealing void areas to preserve immersion.

Extra note: This suggestion was made due to the server's heavy load, including custom items, the server map, players, messages, etc.

Solution 2: Classroom Segmentation for Optimal Exam Environment
Another approach involves partitioning the exam room into smaller, classroom-sized sections, each accommodating a limited number of players (around 10 to 15) seated at a distance from each other. This segmentation extends to the overall exam room, (accommodating between 100 to 200 players) with more spacing between seats. This spatial distribution minimizes server strain caused by numerous entities in close proximity, as servers struggle to process simultaneous movements within a confined area. Furthermore, exam papers are distributed incrementally to smaller groups to alleviate item registration lag, rather than all at once. This method ensures smoother item distribution without overburdening the server with excessive commands. While seemingly trivial, this systematic approach significantly enhances exam management efficiency and reduces server load.

Solution 3: Implementation of an Online Exam Platform
For scalability and efficiency, a dedicated online exam platform integrated with SRP offers a viable solution. This web-based system enables students to take exams remotely, with instant grading accessible exclusively to school faculty during exam periods. By decentralizing exam administration, this platform can accommodate a significantly larger number of participants without risking server instability. Furthermore, question randomization features enhance exam security and diversity, ensuring fair assessment for all students. The platform also facilitates rapid grade processing, with percentage breakdowns and student names promptly displayed on the website. This solution enhances exam scalability and simplifies grade management and accessibility for both students and faculty.

Solution 4: Controlled Exam Waves for Server Stability
Implementing controlled waves of exam participation can effectively manage server load and prevent crashes during peak exam periods. By limiting each wave to a maximum of 150 players and scheduling multiple exam days across different time zones, the server can accommodate a larger number of participants without compromising stability. This approach ensures that individuals who were unable to attend previous exams due to server limitations have ample opportunities to participate. Moreover, it mitigates the risk of server overload caused by a sudden influx of players, thereby minimizing the likelihood of postponements or cancellations.

***Another note: If some of these suggestions don't seem accurate, it's because I'm speaking from my personal experience and don't have complete knowledge as a developer or administrator. However, these are just suggestions that may or may not be helpful.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
With the implementation of one or some of these solutions, more exams can be conducted, alleviating the burden on staff and reducing the stress associated with potential server crashes or the need for extensive troubleshooting.

For readers: Let me know in the comments which solution you think is the best or I'm missing something or it just doesn't help at all.
:)

Last edited:

Barbie_

Level 26
BarbieG1rl_
BarbieG1rl_
Omega
+1
I think the last solution or the first time honestly could work out, but i am no expert

Oli

Level 120
gncme
gncme
Omega
I've already answered as to what the issue from yesterday was here: http://schoolrp.net/threads/college-entrance-exams.71914/post-249665

The server can handle the player load, but it wasn't the player load that was the issue, rather the exam plug-in itself. While yes, many of these solutions appear to be good on paper, they are far more tedious for SLT to correct and often opt to having the entire staff team correcting the exam and that still takes at least ~2 weeks to issue the results when they can be issued almost immediately.

Solution 2: Classroom Segmentation for Optimal Exam Environment
This solution sounds exciting and fun, too, as real schools would also divide students not only in the gym, but across classrooms too.
Solution 3: Implementation of an Online Exam Platform
I am unsure whether this could be added or not since on SRP, we enjoy having our own assets and stuff used instead of opting for outer programs that could result in danger or malware.
Solution 4: Controlled Exam Waves for Server Stability
Again, coming from a former SLT, this would mean multiple exam questions, multiple corrections, and would take a longer time to process student results

zegevlier

Level 25
Community Team
Developer
An online exam platform would get rid of all of the in-character-ness of the exams. That would be a very boring "solution".
Multiple exams requires those exams to be made. It's a lot of work to make a good exam, and that would have to be done for each separate "wave". It's far too easy to cheat otherwise.
We've been thinking a lot about how we can optimise the server performance, during and outside of exams. It's a lot harder than it sounds, and time is limited. If you think you can do a better job, apply to become a dev :D

Alison Wither

Level 8
Alison_Wither
Alison_Wither
Omega+
br
An online exam platform would get rid of all of the in-character-ness of the exams. That would be a very boring "solution".
Multiple exams requires those exams to be made. It's a lot of work to make a good exam, and that would have to be done for each separate "wave". It's far too easy to cheat otherwise.
We've been thinking a lot about how we can optimise the server performance, during and outside of exams. It's a lot harder than it sounds, and time is limited. If you think you can do a better job, apply to become a dev :D
I meant no offense. It's just a suggestion.

Ruin

Level 104
Ruin06
Ruin06
Notable+
howabout seperating the college & highschoolers? Like, College on X date while Highschool on Y date. I think that should help with the lag, afterall, they dont have the same exams lol

Hamburger

Level 187
LocalHamburger
LocalHamburger
Fundraiser+
howabout seperating the college & highschoolers? Like, College on X date while Highschool on Y date. I think that should help with the lag, afterall, they dont have the same exams lol
Wait I think you’re onto something here…

philbertman42

Level 137
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
Why are people using AI to write suggestions, even without using a checker it's so obvious if you just use your schnoggin. Why are you concerned about chunk generation? And why does this read like it was dialogue from Kinzie Kensington?

anyway I'm gonna play saints row 3 for the millionth time, thanks for my yearly reminder

Users who are viewing this thread