Tearliner
Tearliner
Fundraiser+
IGN: Springwood
DATE: 8 September 2022

WHAT YOU WANT TO
SUGGEST OR MENTION
:
Have the aftermath of receiving a prosthetic limb/body part more structured and strict so that realism can take place.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
At the moment, it is very common for players, particularly more conspicuous criminal roleplayers, to rush to the hospital as soon as they have been majorly harmed to the point where one of their limbs/body parts has been detached. Rushing to the hospital in such a situation is perfectly understandable and is something that any human being would do in an eyeblink. Though I frequently come across players who require a prosthetic limb, most of the time it is a success, and anyone who requires it has it positioned to their character. What I find unrealistic though is the aftermath of having it installed: many criminal roleplayers continue their daily roleplay as if nothing has happened to them after having their prosthetic limb attached to their character. I regularly encounter players who have had a prosthetic limb attached to their character and can fully and normally use it after about 5 minutes of leaving the hospital. It makes no sense, it's no fun for the party who caused the limb to disassociate, and it adds absolutely no character development if you're suddenly capable of perfectly getting along with the attached prosthetic limb despite the fact that it was only recently installed to your character.

What I’m suggesting is that the aftermath of receiving a prosthetic limb should be more strict and arranged so that actual character development can be created and so that realism can play a role in it. For example, after your prosthetic limb/body part is attached to your character, you must wait a minimum of at least 1 week before you are fully familiar with how the prosthetic limb works and can normally use it for your daily activity.

If this suggestion happened to be rejected, at the very least implement the return of creating some sort of application to have a specific prosthetic limb/body part attached to your character and having an actual transaction take place, as any type of prosthetic body part is incredibly expensive.

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
+1/-1

As much as I GENUINELY would love this, it will be incredibly hard to moderate. If there is a system to monitor it or smth, that could be easier and I'd be in full support

Springwood

Level 68
Tearliner
Tearliner
Fundraiser+
+1/-1

As much as I GENUINELY would love this, it will be incredibly hard to moderate. If there is a system to monitor it or smth, that could be easier and I'd be in full support
Completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder! As you can see in the very last part of my suggestion, if this suggestion happened to be the denied I’d be cool with some sort of application form to fill in to have a prosthetic limb attached to your character at the least. Thanks for your feedback nonetheless!

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
NEUTRAL

I'll probably edit this into a more proper reply when I'm not tired, but essentially... The way people roleplay is incredibly difficult to moderate, and in my opinion you'd be wasting time trying to force everyone to rp out getting a prosthetic the "right" way. So I have two proposed fixes for this, one that I've had developed lore wise where @jayseph_ and @gncme are aware of and another one that's for if you really wanted to make another rule
Yes you could implement more rules, make applications, etc but there's a WAAAAY more simple solution.

Because prosthetics and bionics are stupid complex in how they work and difficult to gauge how long it should take someone to figure them out, it'd be easier to fix the plot hole in favor of the players. How do we do this? Karakura can have advanced prosthetics technology! That way people can continue on as is, and you don't have to say.. force everyone to take physical therapy. This doesn't disrupt the people who do want to rp that.

If you're worried the limitations of prosthetics and bionics, then yes, you could implement rules like "You can't stab people with a prosthetic limbs until you've had it for X amount of time!" Or "If you have a prosthetic you cannot wield weapons" or "if you have a prosthetic leg you can't run"

EDIT: I forgot people might go "but that's not realistic!!" And to that I say, in a situation like this the goal is to be believable not realistic. Let us have some cool stuff man! It's interesting!

jayseph

Level 25
jayseph_
jayseph_
Notable
Neutral

I agree with both Cloud and Kana that it would be incredibly difficult to moderate this. While I do agree that there needs to be much more realistic role play when it comes to removal of limbs and the prosthetic process, I think it falls under current rules of not role playing properly if you were to just... get a limb removed and then run around the next day as if its nothing. But like Cloud mentioned, there is lore in the works for a part of this that I'm very excited to get out once it's ready.

Lizalopod

Level 130
+1

Yes, this would be hard to moderate, but Jesus no one ever puts thought into developing their character when their limbs get cut off. Not only just prosthetics, losing an eye, voice box, etc (like you do realize only having one eye fucks up your sense of perspective a lot?).

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+
+1/NEUTRAL

Although it might be hard to moderate, I believe the last part of your suggestion should be implemented. I seriously see no point in doing majors anymore because they usually always come back. Prosthetic eyes, tongues, legs, and any other thing commonly seen kill the roleplay especially because we can no longer kill off characters without oocly consent. Realistically, prosthetics are expensive!

Would this be hard to moderate? Well in my personal opinion, no. If I were to major someone and then see them with a prosthetic 10 minutes later, I could ask them if they applied/bought the prosthetic, to begin with.

In addition, people don't tend to roleplay as if they had a prosthetic. I've seen people with two prosthetic arms functioning as if the arms were just the same as their original arms. Another example is the fact that people don't realize that prosthetic eyes do not restore vision. If your character has a prosthetic eye, it's just like any other prosthetic. It's not real at all whatsoever and doesn't give you what you lost. I see people commonly getting prosthetic eyes and then saying they healed even when all the nerves to the eye had been completely destroyed. Your character should still have the ability to be blinded 100%!

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I'm also sure you can't skiprp certain injuries without consent from the player who did it...

tobbby

Level 276
mrbug_
mrbug_
Rich
NEUTRAL

as someone who has a character with general brian damage and a prosthetic leg, i try to keep it as normal as possible. He has his leg on most of the time just trying to get used to it, as much as it hurts, and cant run nearly as well as he used to because running kn a leg not built for that actually sucks

there are people who just sont kinda care but idk how this would disrupt the flow of rp
its kinda like how people w crutches cant run and they have to stroll

Infi

Level 130
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
What I’m suggesting is that the aftermath of receiving a prosthetic limb should be more strict and arranged so that actual character development can be created and so that realism can play a role in it. For example, after your prosthetic limb/body part is attached to your character, you must wait a minimum of at least 1 week before you are fully familiar with how the prosthetic limb works and can normally use it for your daily activity.

If this suggestion happened to be rejected, at the very least implement the return of creating some sort of application to have a specific prosthetic limb/body part attached to your character and having an actual transaction take place, as any type of prosthetic body part is incredibly expensive.
I really like this part of the suggestion. It wouldn't be hard to moderate either, similar to having permissions on someone. Obviously if you see someone with a prosthetic arm 1 day after they get majored it can easily be reported and dealt with, part of players essentially keeping each other in check (Just like when you have perms on someone). I agree it should also cost money to replace, paid to the surgeons who fit prosthetics, and then taxpaid at the end. Surgeons get quotas, players get more realism, more consequences to your actions ICly, I believe it's a wonderful suggestion if implemented properly.

+1

Latte

Level 193
_A3he
_A3he
Notable
+1

Yes, this would be hard to moderate, but Jesus no one ever puts thought into developing their character when their limbs get cut off. Not only just prosthetics, losing an eye, voice box, etc (like you do realize only having one eye fucks up your sense of perspective a lot?).
+1 !!

Valentine_Lols

Level 87
Valentine_Lols
Valentine_Lols
Rich+
+1 /-1 we already have a limit thingy of getting a prosthetic and said person can't skiprp getting said limb from the hospital but would be nice people would take to consideration of character development instead of throw away characters who end up being a potato.

Sadly though there's SOME not all. People who come in endlessly loosing their other leg, other arm, other eye due to, again throw away characters and giving people majors just for the cause of prosthetics.

Though I wish people who are a potato for it somewhat believable, realism isn't my issue, the issue is understanding certain moves they do in /me that doesn't make logic

Users who are viewing this thread