mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Forum Suggestion

Should the 'Negatives' ratings be removed entirely from the Forums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shizai

Level 143
IGN: Shizai
DATE: 1/16/21

WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
I wanted to bring up the forums ratings, mainly the negative ratings more so the ("dumb, toxic, salty.") I believe it just better to remove them, and I will explain why. Do keep in mind that I do not mean all of them. Negativity in unconstructive ways is never really a good thing. The dislike and disagree do a good enough job in expressing all unthoughtful satisfaction that you would need to.

It's something that is classed as being not that big of a deal or bearable, but do keep in mind that one person does not share the same mindset as everyone else - So there will be those who disagree, and some who agree. The people who do feel targeted by it ask; Why did this person give me several dirty ratings when all I did was post my opinion or application. Most times they get the answer that nothing can be done about it; except for when someone is using it for purpose of harassing but it's arguably how it is intended to be taken.

There could arguably be no point in removing some of them, but there can also arguably be no point in keeping it the way it is neither. Yes, I understand it's not that big of a deal and that's always been the way since the beginning of the forums; As someone nonparticipating in using them and as someone who is able to keep a calm head most times I myself do not mind them.

What do you gain from giving those ratings? Nothing really. It's just used for something not voiced properly that could be done in a better way. It's also a way to attempt at downplaying, throwing shade, harassing, and way to be virulent towards one another. Simplicity can sometimes yield a better outcome in some scenarios.

We should take a page out of the other forum that Roleplay Hub has; FRP. This particular forum only allows a simple like, and reply - and does well enough on its own to stay active even without these choices of downvoting, or negatively rating. By disallowing some of the negatives here it in my opinion supports the cause & thought to leave more feedback, and substantial criticism, voicing your opinion on why you disagree or why you agree - rather than to berate with ratings also freeing you from the thought that you could be impacted with a bunch of distasteful ratings.

In simplest terms - get rid of some negative ratings, keep the positives and perhaps add a few into neutral, such as bad spelling and old. Do not let this post be a wasted effort; It wouldn't take much energy to make this small and good change, although I do understand it is not a main focus.

Last edited:

WiffyBanter

Level 143
KirikoM
KirikoM
Omega
+1 / -1

Good suggestion, but to a lot of people ratings aren't used or are not noticed at all. I like the idea of possibly shortening them and keeping them more neutral than anything, but adding onto this for the Forums Moderation it seems like a long wasteful task for Duckings to do ADDING ontop of the very long list of things to get done prior to this.

Over all, I agree- slightly

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich
As somebody who, for the longest part of the forums history has had the largest dislikes out of the entire community (albeit due to troll accounts that were banned later for doing such.) I think that the rating system has a place in the forums and deserve to say. People deserve the rights to share their opinions however a rating system allows them to do this in a way that isn't toxic (an example of toxicity being actively going and commenting in a degrading fashion to the work the person has made, which ends up being the case sometimes when people don't like stuff they see) or another reason why being that the post is something they don't agree about but either A. Can't comment on. 2. Don't need/deserve an extra comment 3. Has already been mentioned by another user.

Censoring the forums via removing the way people spread meaningful negativity is one of the worst things the modern internet has tried to make normal. Having the ability to say 'Hey, no I don't like this." is an important thing for ANYTHING in life and in SRP's case has very RARELY been majorly abused in cases such as myself or temporarily Ryanark, Srav and a few other previous staff members playing jokes on eachother.

As for people getting offended . . . It is the internet and SRP is one of the nicest places you can be on it, Most SRP ratings aren't out of spite and have some actual lessons to be learned, applications can often be marked purely simply out of player bias however as for applications
THEY DON'T REALLY MATTER A application marker isn't going to care how many people you've messaged on discord to go and add a Winner rating to your application nor how many people have gotten together to bomb your application with disagrees, hell if they do then they probably shouldn't even have the rights to MARK THEM. However in other cares, say for opinion pieces or suggestions there can be no reasonable way to say how negative reactions are not useful.

For example; if you see a dumb suggestion what is the first type of rating you'd assosciate giving to it?
Yeah thats right. . . The same thing goes with a suggestion that hit you right out of the park! It is so impressive and somehow made you agree with every single point it had to offer, the obvious thing to do would to . . .? GIVE IT A POSITVE RATING. Each rating, positive, neutral or negative have their reasons for existing and should be treated with the same respect when deciding if they are necessary or not. If people get offended over people not liking their suggestions then they should learn not to get so overly offended and to then figure out what was the issue of the suggestion and if they can remedy it to make the suggestion stronger.

There is a problem with people advertising applications and putting positive applications or even worse applications
receiving negative ratings purely due to who made the post however unless it is blatant there isn't much you can do to punish or police it; but hey that's what staff are for right?

OVERALL: As somebody who is pretty much the figure head of getting negative ratings (ALBEITTT AGAIN BECAUSE OF TROLL ACCOUNTS THAT SPAMMED THEM WHO LATER GOT BANNED!!) I think that negative ratings have a place on the forums and deserve to be there. I 100% disagree with what your suggestion has to say which was why (I) put a disagree next to it; (incase you were wondering!)

Users who are viewing this thread