MinisterFudge

Level 17
Community Team
Event Team
MinisterFudge
MinisterFudge
Notable
PLAYER INFORMATION

In-game Name: MinisterFudge / I only play on this one account, presently [Grade-12] as 'Gene Cuisine'

Previous bans (include appeal links): –N/A

Discord Tag: crystallizedgene

Do you have a working microphone?: –I do

Timezone & Country: AEST (GMT +10) - Sydney Australia.
One of the more fabled timezones, if I may say.

Links to any current & past applications (Spoiler them):

Describe your activity on the server:
I am online virtually daily unless I am occupied on that day. Upcoming obligations include university commitments but all upcoming classes would be on a Thursday every week. In terms of the actual average period of time I spend on the server in a given 'sitting' if you would: a couple of hours.

I have not yet had the pleasure of joining any of the server's various factions. I have in fact (unsuccessfully) tried out for the Bobcats Cheer Team (HS) so that I might provide a friend good company in their (also unsuccessful) tryout.

APPLICATION INFORMATION

What position are you applying for?: Governor

What is your motivation for applying?: Well, truth be told: I am actually at university studying law and it is for that reason the government faction is particularly appealing to me. The open position for Governor is the only actual position in the entire faction available.

But, it is also worth adding I actually do have experience roleplaying in a pseudo-government position: namely as Minister for Magic on a Hogwarts RP server. Here you can find me doing so with RTGame: (https://youtu.be/ _9wnC4tEt_g?t=266).

It would be quite nice to continue in this general RP tradition of mine, if you'd like, of me waltzing about as a public servant (Governor) in Karakura and taking on all of the responsibilities that would involve. It would give me greater cause to not only interact with people more than I do now BUT in a context with which I am quite familiar and comfortable. Albeit, I could not RP as a raging Anglophile because it is Japan.

Do you have an understanding of Karakura’s laws & Constitutional rights?:
The constitution is freely available for viewing on the forums and it was actually one of the first things I read. I was quite disappointed to see it had no Preamble and had a bunch of feelings about it. Also, shout out to the absolute mad lad that drafted Article 1 and pulled an absolute pro-gamer move by proceeding to put Article 16 all the way near the end.

As for the other laws I am aware crimes and other such information can be found under Roleplay Documents.

Are there any goals for you or your character with this role?:
Absolutely. Let's start with the Constitution. My character wants to amend it. I mean the process of constitutional amendment is not even in it my dear fellows: that's very sad. Very tragic. Not very democratic. My character and I suspect all citizens of Karakura are literally crying and sobbing into their pillowcases every night about it. This is all jest and hyperbole: but you can expect my character to have many suggestions vis-a-vis lawmaking and the Constitution.

My character takes significant issue with the written Constitution and certain existing laws and legal practices, including, for example, the 'crime' of Disrespecting a Government Official. He would only pursue/propose changes, however, after gauging the public mood toward such proposed changes.
It is sufficient to say my character would be an incredible outlier among existing Governors insofar as the faction and broader server rules reasonably allow/permit.

The system of government with which I am most familiar in lieu of my studies is the Westminster Parliamentary system. Given Karakura is set in Japan… well, it is a system with which I am only vaguely familiar. You can expect my character to not just be some local content with the existing system but instead, someone who actually is very fond of the Westminster system and common law system. This fondness can be thought of as a different perspective to add to the roster of existing governors. I very much hope my expertise/knowledge can be of, if not assistance to the existing roster of governors, a curious quirk to my character.

EDIT: As of 30/07/2023 I thought it would be more tidy to simply LIST things I would enjoy doing on this job outside of fulfilling its primary purpose (It would appear to me these are all perfectly reasonable but I am amenable to correction). Of course, I've used full sentences because I want to avoid any censure:
  • I am aware of the relationship Governors can have with the journalists on the server, the reporters. I would take full advantage of the fact and do certain newsworthy things that will be absolutely unprecedented. I would be able to bring about scandal totally within the confines of the server rules and I suspect it would be quite fun! Liaising with reporters whenever possible does sound fun, press conferences and the like.
  • I would unofficially (or officially, depending on the eccentricities of the faction and its processes): 'hire' people in numerous capacities: advisors, spiritual mentors, I'd want a secretary... and loads of bodyguards; volunteers, or otherwise. I would want to radiate Hitman target energy (because if I can, why would I not?) Creating RP on this job sounds particularly fun, I must confess. It's why I'm applying!
  • I would liaise with regular ordinary people on the server and establish (if possible/no system exists) some means by which I might receive letters from citizens. I would enjoy meeting with them to hear out their grievances; I suspect it would be very cathartic and enjoyable.
  • I would enjoy going on 'tours' around Karakura and giving speeches to frankly anyone who would listen. I'd give out free food to this end or commandeer some willing person's property (or perhaps a business/shop of an appropriate kind) to host a rally or some other similar event; an opportunity again to liaise with folks, take pictures, and so on.
  • Operating an Onrain account (if this is at all possible) to convey official-sounding announcements, press releases, etc. from my character and other PR-related tomfoolery.
OOC though, I have to say I’d be curious in learning about the other people in the faction and how they approach the role outside of, obviously, performing the functions expected of them. I do not know (and certainly am not pretentious enough to expect) members in the faction to have law degrees or be studying law, but my being a student is an absolute boon and something I suspect could be very useful and welcome. I'd also like to think my presence could encourage further applicants in the future.

In your own words, describe what the position you’re applying for does within the government:
From what I can gather, I would very much characterize the Governors as fulfilling many of the functions MPs (Members of Parliament) fulfill in the Westminster system, at least at a preliminary surface level. In practice, the government system is extremely novel and does not appear designed to resemble any existing civil law system with incredible accuracy. I should suspect there are practical reasons for this.

Governors are first and foremost public servants in Karakura with varying responsibilities, including responding to letters/questions from the general public.

But with respect to Governors in Karakura, I am aware they (inter alia) Issue government IDs that serve a practical purpose vis–a-vis laws concerning alcohol and driving. They also issue marriage licenses and can officiate marriages. They have a role in lawmaking that is not explicitly defined by the Constitution when perhaps it should be. They have some role in managing Karakura Graveyard with respect to the graves and, finally, they transcribe and provide clerical assistance in trials at Town Hall. The latter is a task I found super heretical at first because the Westminster system has this whole ‘separation of powers’ thing but anyway. Governors also swear judges in before every single trial which AGAIN found very unique and cool but super heretical for the same reason. I am also vaguely aware of them processing new businesses or otherwise having a role with respect to the registration of businesses but this is from what I’m told.

The most attractive component of the position is the fact these are public government officials. Governors have a role in communicating government policy and performing public functions generally; political rallies and the like.

Do you acknowledge that upon being accepted you can be subject to removal at any given time?:
Yes

Do you understand that you’re expected to be dedicated to your position upon being accepted?:
Yes

Are you aware that any display of OOC bias toward anyone on the job will result in punishment?:
Yes

Have you read & agreed to follow the Government Faction rules?:
I have read them and I agree to follow them if this application proves successful

Are you able to attend weekly meetings & events?:
Yes

IN CHARACTER SECTION

Full name:
Loid Fudge

Preferred title (Mr., Mrs., etc.):
Mr.

Current age:

Date of birth:
04/04/1991

Academic Degree(s):
Master of Laws (LLM)
Bachelor of Laws (LLB)

Major(s):
Constitutional Law

Minor(s):
Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution

Work experience:
Upon leaving University I had already gained some legal experience in Community Legal Centre's across the UK and a clinical legal internship as part of my university studies. Upon leaving university I headed straight for the Bar. Dare I say the song posited by the Lord Chancellor in Iolanthe ("When I went to the bar") more or less summarizes my entire career from then on and my expectations of the UK Legal Profession (https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=MdHzTWjKIKs).

During my formative years in the United Kingdom, I was a solo practitioner; that is to say, a Barrister during the years 2016-2021. Seldom did I actually have any solicitors brief me, most of the work I did was pro-bono and mainly consisted of criminal defence in courts scattered across the UK. Many but not all of the clients I’ve represented have been political dissidents or protestors. As a result, I made very little money, outside of a few exceptional constitutional challenges that were of considerable public interest.

After growing tired of meals of bread and water I elected to flee to live with my extended (and very affluent) family in Karakura who have financially supported me since.

Political background:
I studied law at the University of Oxford, where I graduated with honors in 2012. Afterward, I pursued further legal studies (LLM) at the University.

During my time at University, I helped create community gardens, was accused (but not found guilty) of seed-bombing golf courses around the United Kingdom, and also distributed zines for Black Flag, an on-campus... er, a lobby group promoting equity and advocating for responsible allocation of student services and amenities! Yeah. We'll say that.

My political background is characterized by my advocacy for human rights, particularly in the context of Migration, Criminal and Constitutional law; as well as my general dedication to promoting the rule of law. Although I never aligned openly with any political party in the United Kingdom, my views and positions on various legal and social issues have often been labeled progressive and, according to many UK tabloids: “anarchic”. As a consequence of my advocacy, a Tory Minister in the UK derided my work as “lawfare” stating that I, and many Barristers in the immigration context were “feral lowlives fighting for a society with naught but anarchy, all to satisfy their fetid and intrinsically disordered delusions”.

Nationality & born location: United Kingdom, Born in The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea: London, England.

Fluent languages (Underline your native):
English, Japanese

Criminal record:
N/A

What makes you a good candidate for this job?
I am a legally trained mind with extensive knowledge of legal history and legal theory. I am well positioned to learn more about the government of Karakura and its functions because I have already learned about a completely different system of law and governance; this positions me nicely to make comparisons and explicitly highlight inefficiencies or rooms for improvement.

As a result of my particular upbringing and career path: I am also minded to be aware of the obligations upon lawmakers and public officials/servants generally and public expectations of them irrespective of the particular system of law under discussion. I am hopeful my knowledge can be put to good use in Karakura.

Moreover, I have clearly defined intentions. I know precisely what I hope to do if given the opportunity. Most of my intentions would be in the form of legislative proposals and helping Karakura forge a more clearly defined and strong sense of identity. I am sure the people of Karakura would welcome the changes I am hoping to advocate for because, after all, advocacy has occupied a great part of my life at the bar.

Last edited:

adalynoc

Level 109
adalynoc
adalynoc
Omega+
ACCEPTED

After careful discussion with the Higher Ups of the faction, we've decided to accept you:

Please contact me on Discord, @Zaldoria to start the process and get you set !

Welcome to the Government Faction !

Users who are viewing this thread