wethecreature

Level 97
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
GUIDE TO [?] TAGS
and How to Interact with 'em

What does a [?] tag indicate?:

What is your first guess? I bet it was that a [?] tag means ghost, and if that was your guess then you'd be severely incorrect!

It means an event character or a special character, these characters are almost always roleplayed by Community Team or Staff Team members. These characters usually either have special abilities, permissions, and purpose or are simply brought in by the community team or staff members to give others unique experiences. The sewer workers are humans, and the rats are rats.

So no, a [?] tag does not immediately indicate that a character is a supernatural, otherworldly entity.

What If the [?] Character IS a Ghost?:

If the [?] character is a supernatural entity, you can not instantly recognize the spirit as a spirit ICly.

Taking something you know OOCly, like if a character is a ghost, and taking it ICly, is known as the fun practice of metagaming. Metagaming will get you punished! Just as metagaming in other parts of RP isn't allowed, metagaming if a character is a spirit or not with no evidence to suggest that ICly is also not allowed! Although it isn't enforced as much, still, don't do it!

When can My Character Recognize a Ghost?:

Good question! Your character can recognize a ghost if it has or does the following:

- Character has physical features that allude to supernatural aspects.

EX: Character is glowing, translucent, looks inhuman (like a monster), has unnatural features, etc.
- Character does inhuman actions
EX: Teleporting, Flying, Vanishing, etc.

Summary:

Don't metagame, guys. Please.

Credits to @soratheonly for inspiring me to write this truly amazing, scrumdiddlyumptious guide.

bheom

Level 52
Community Team
Event Team
bheom
bheom
Omega+
very well written guide! alwasy getting asked of my [?] age and people think tiny garderner is a ghost :(

soratheonly

Level 55
Community Team
Event Team
soratheonly
soratheonly
Omega+
THANK YOU WETH!!! People need to see this guide and stop asking me ICly "What are you"
People are always like "Is that lady a ghost.."
Like no, she's an old lady trying to find Mr. Snuggles. :(

wethecreature

Level 97
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
THANK YOU WETH!!! People need to see this guide and stop asking me ICly "What are you"
People are always like "Is that lady a ghost.."
Like no, she's an old lady trying to find Mr. Snuggles. :(
tell them you've put them under citizen's permanent ban for metagaming

findouticly

Level 17
findouticly
findouticly
Rich
Also, there was an instance where someone was roleplaying a CHILD and had a question mark, so of course very realistically, a group of people was following them because the had a [?] Tag. Yes, following a child is very realistic and isn't very weird.

bheom

Level 52
Community Team
Event Team
bheom
bheom
Omega+
Also, there was an instance where someone was roleplaying a CHILD and had a question mark, so of course very realistically, a group of people was following them because the had a [?] Tag. Yes, following a child is very realistic and isn't very weird.
im the child! the little 11 year old silly :3

Valentine_Lols

Level 87
Valentine_Lols
Valentine_Lols
Rich+
Thank yew for this, random people thought the [?] grandma was a spirit at the shrine and I had to explain as a maiden they weren't

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
a lot of people forget the purpose of the [?] tag is a placeholder tag; literally the meaning of the question mark being to be interpreted by roleplay but not deserving enough of a permanent role for the short experience.

Ghosts most frequently use this tag yes, but, the true purpose behind it is a universal tag

cho0ii

Level 174
Community Team
Event Team
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+
so many ppl forget that the [?] is a placeholder and just assume "ghost". someone thought mads pie was a ghost....

ErikFinster

Level 115
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
As a skeptic member of the esteemed faculty-approved Occult Club, I would like to add that “teleportation”, “flying”, and “vanishing” are all too common parlor tricks and do not count as evidence, as long they are not tangible, measurable, consistent, reproducible, and outside of the current scientific framework.

soratheonly

Level 55
Community Team
Event Team
soratheonly
soratheonly
Omega+
As a skeptic member of the esteemed faculty-approved Occult Club, I would like to add that “teleportation”, “flying”, and “vanishing” are all too common parlor tricks and do not count as evidence, as long they are not tangible, measurable, consistent, reproducible, and outside of the current scientific framework.
All these things are unable to be done by regular people, therefore it's clear evidence of an irregular being that would be such of a ghost or being with powers.

ErikFinster

Level 115
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
All these things are unable to be done by regular people, therefore it's clear evidence of an irregular being that would be such of a ghost or being with powers.
Let me be the Scully to your Mulder and let's agree that Criss Angel, David Copperfield, and Harry Houdini are indeed highly irregular beings.
They would probably boast a [?] tag, too - if they ever visited Karakura City. Think about it.

1706545925336.png

halfabraincell

Level 12
there was this one time that I was in the forest with a friend and we were kinda jus chilling around the campfire bit AND THIS BEAR CUB SHOWED UP OUT OF NOWHERE. So ofc, as I'm not about to walk up to this random bear and be like 'hey bro whats up', i gathered my friend and we migrated to the other side of the campfire. The bear was kinda just chillin and it left us alone for the most part. Somehow my friend ended up giving it food tho? And as if that wasnt weird enough, SOME RANDOM FOX SPIRIT JUST POOFED IN FROM NOWHERE.
Since my character is an idiot he was just like 'oo look fox' and looked at it from a distance since he really likes foxes. And then the fox spirit just started SPEAKING so I immediately had my character get all freaked out and flabbergasted like, "WHY IS FOX TALKING WHAT??" and then the fox said some more stuff and vanished. My character never even recognised that it was a spirit XD. Eventually we just left after the bear cub stared at us some more and took food from us. Honestly I just decided that my character just wont think about it ever again because bro doesnt even believe in spirits or ghosts and stuff.
Anyway thanks for coming to my ted-talk ig

Also thanks for the guide about [?] tags! Honestly I havent come across a lot of them personally and wasnt even really aware of their existence for a pretty long time, so having more awareness about it is probably a good thing.

wethecreature

Level 97
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
that's just weird

Users who are viewing this thread