JustJuiceHex

Level 91
JustJuiceHex
JustJuiceHex
Rich+
IGN: Hexarius_
DATE: 16/07/2023
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
I want to propose the idea of adding a Helper role. A team of people would reply to tickets based on server rules and struggle to engage with the roleplay server. It would be something of a tutoring for the greenie players. It is just a proposal to make people suffer whoever takes this role and assist Mods on the countless tickets they face.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
It would somewhat reduce stress on staff as people wouldn't spam the same tickets over and over regarding 'how to roleplay and all'. Whilst Mods reply with the following links, current generations that come to SRP don't really understand it or trust the roleplay. The helper role in this situation would be targeted only toward Greenies.

If it would be accepted proposal I'd say the part of this community role would be involving players that have at least a half of year of experience in SRP. And would be willing to enter the cycle of babysitting and suffering. :) pov, not me.

P.S. This is the random proposal which I made to get an additional level on Forums. But I lean toward this +/- (more to -)

DarkEclipic

Level 163
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+
Neutral

I see where you are coming from but all staff members are able to reply to any type of tickets(From my understanding), even if they are small ones or large ones. But if it means helping out the community when it comes to helping them learn to RP, you don't need to be a staff member to help someone learn the server. Just be helpful to people who might not know the server that well, its not hard to be nice

Ghostfire

Level 105
GhostfireSwords
GhostfireSwords
Notable+
great idea, i could honestly see it implemented in the future, however i think tickets are fine the way they are; it's not too much work (at least I wouldn't think) for a staff member to simply respond to a ticket saying "how do I play on this server?". Besides, as @DarkEclipic you could help new players yourself if they ask questions in ooc, or on the forums/discord if they have questions

there's also not really a way to "target" tickets, to only allow this new helper role to see tickets from greenies unless some meticulous coding is made and even then, im unsure; good idea on paper, but again i think the way tickets work are fine the way they are rn

ScoringWynter

Level 26
ScoringWynter
ScoringWynter
Notable
This used to be a thing back in like, 2019.
However, this idea was implemented to test for new Trial-Moderators by Samra, I believe.

I don't know why exactly the helper team disbanded, but I would love to see it make a comeback.Screenshot_19.png

Last edited:

DylanDeNewb

Level 35
Helper
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+
Don't think helpers would be able to access tickets, since they're all bundled together, sure a helper category could be introduced, though it may be confusing for new or even existing players.

If something like that were to exist, in my opinion they'd be better off servicing the many #help channels spread throughout the discords.

will!

Level 53
Community Team
Lore Team
lirically
lirically
Notable+

It's a wonderful idea, but who says in any way that you can't assist or direct new players in a direction that they may want to go? If you involve yourself enough in the servers that new players join, or even the forums, there are easily fresh opportunities on the horizon for you to become a helper to a member in the community. I, myself have done something like this before, whether it's helping people get a skin for the server, directing them to the basics of it, informing them of rules and commands, sometimes all it takes for someone to become involved is through guidance, especially to those who don't initially/or have come from the background of MCRP. It doesn't take a lot to help if you're enthusiastic about it. All that the Helper role will do is worsen the enthusiasm that community members will have to help and engage with new members of the server.

TLDR: It doesn't take a lot to help a new player, and it doesn't need a new role. Good suggestion though!

Aania

Level 170
Administrator
News Lead
Government Lead
Aania
Aania
Omega+
The suggestion is cool.

BUT. We encourage normal players to assist newer players, but instead, they usually shun them.

Even with no special role, please assist new players! Especially if they ask in OOC and its clear no staff are online :)

CakeRPiscool

Level 56
EGGRP
EGGRP
Omega
The suggestion is cool.

BUT. We encourage normal players to assist newer players, but instead, they usually shun them.

Even with no special role, please assist new players! Especially if they ask in OOC and its clear no staff are online :)
I agree

DylanDeNewb

Level 35
Helper
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+
The suggestion is cool.

Generally correct, though completely disregards player psychology and the general attitude to players new to the RP scene.

There is a reason that people tend to default to seeking help from staff in #help or tickets, mainly due to the fact that they've come from other communities with a wide range of gamemodes where the global ingame chat can be ignorant and dismissive (particularly smps, and other competitive modes), hence leading to them dismissing the idea of seeking player support, and actively seeking help from staff from the get go.

As can be seen with a glance, there is usually several messages to #help in the main server missed as trained moderators are unavailable or already dealing with other cases. This is not the fault of themselves. Its just the fault of lack of scalability for generic support and questions, with little being done to support it.

There is also a reason that large and small servers alike still adopt Helper roles, or otherwise denoted as player councils, as they serve as a reliable point of contact when it comes to collecting or distributing information, and also serve as player mentors that are easily identifiable due to their common understanding across other communities.

Its not a matter of "adding another pointless role", its a matter of adding a symbolic role that is globally recognised as a point of contact and support, where others are not available. This is also the reason such roles are often heavily populated, as they serve as hubs of support, and do not need extra training outside of general knowledge and communication skills.

Hell, for the fun of it, even games like Valorant do a similar system through "Riot Gun Buddies" that are given out by their staff to players that stand out as 'Model Players' for the most part, they are not recognised staff, but still serve as a marks of veteran players that are knowledgeable about the game.

We can also look back at the part of players usually shunning new players, how do you expect repeating the same words to change that?

Last edited:

Yonio

Level 328
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
Unlike other servers that you might've gone to and that had the Helper role, SchoolRP has a much more complex set of guidelines and rules that players must know about. Whereas in your average PvP server, a Helper would simply help out with getting started in the server and giving instructions on how to progress, the position of Helper in SchoolRP would require you to know about pretty much everything concerning GangRP, FailRP, roleplay etiquette, and many more points that sometimes even staff struggles to interpret

DylanDeNewb

Level 35
Helper
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+
Unlike other servers that you might've gone to and that had the Helper role, SchoolRP has a much more complex set of guidelines and rules that players must know about. Whereas in your average PvP server, a Helper would simply help out with getting started in the server and giving instructions on how to progress, the position of Helper in SchoolRP would require you to know about pretty much everything concerning GangRP, FailRP, roleplay etiquette, and many more points that sometimes even staff struggles to interpret
Struggling to find the difference between a PvP helper and an SRP helper here.

They both need to know rules and guidelines and the features of the server.

Some servers are more intricate like SRP, though the role is fundamentally the same. They are there for COMMON questions and support

You won't have a helper telling someone whether they have perms to attack someone, you'll have them responding to "how do I do this?" "how do I get that?"

Last edited:

philbertman42

Level 140
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
Hell, for the fun of it, even games like Valorant do a similar system through "Riot Gun Buddies" that are given out by their staff to players that stand out as 'Model Players' for the most part, they are not recognised staff, but still serve as a marks of veteran players that are knowledgeable about the game.
To an extent, I would argue that players with IC roles or community team ranks somewhat serve a similar purpose; of course, there are those among us who are less capable and may not have a full understanding of the rules, but that much is expected out of an open community.

I do think there is potential in introducing a "helper" role of sorts, but at the same time I understand that we the players, as has already been repeated a few times, can already provide the same type of assistance that a "helper" would, albeit without a fancy prefix. The only real downside to this sort of thing is that regular players can't respond to in-game tickets or the #help channels in the various RPH discords, and that regular players don't hold any actual authority over one another (thus conflicts can't always be soundly resolved 100% of the time).

Personally, I think this sort of thing could go either way. There is clear merit in introducing the role, but it isn't entirely necessary. Regardless, it's something I hope they talk about in a big boy staff meeting sometime soon.

Oliverium

Level 54
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
Be nice to new players, be their friend and teach them how to do things correctly. There's no need to add a helper role when everyone can help each other out.

KimiNoUso

Level 342
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Reviewed
Thank you for your suggestion!

- At this moment in time, we feel that the Helper position's responsibilities would be very limited and there isn't a huge demand for the role. Moderators are able to do the same as what you've described, so if you're interested in helping out we urge you to apply!​
- You can still provide new players with help without being staff too, so long as you aren't pretending to be a staff member.​

Users who are viewing this thread