mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

How A Silent Voice

BaldRP

Level 6
Introduction:
Koe no Katachi (The Shape of Voice) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yoshitoki Oima. It involves the story of Nishimiya Shouko, a middle school student who is deaf. She transfers into a new school, where she is bullied by her classmates. Ishida Shouya, one of the bullies, goes to the point where she transfers to another school. As a result, he is ostracized and bullied himself, with no friends to speak of and no plans for the future. Years later, he sets himself on a path to redemption. On the cover of the Final Chapter (November 16, 2014) it was revealed that an Anime based on the manga was already in planning stages.
The movie was finally released in English in late 2017, which is where our story starts. This forum post has completely nothing to do and is just something that I am doing due to my boredom.

How it started:
Within the first two years of Koe No Katachi's release, I was unaware of the film, as I was most likely being a fanboy over Sword Art Online, not realising the monstrosity that the anime actually was, it wasn't until early 2020 that I found out about the movie that led onto me finding out about Koe No Katachi, and this movie's name was Kimi no Na Wa, also known simply as, Your Name, Kimi no Na
Wa is a 2016 Japanese anime romantic fantasy drama film directed, written, and edited by Makoto Shinkai, based on his own novel of the same name, the only exposure I had gotten to the time on Your Name was a Song that went by the name, Nandemonaiya, this song was somewhat emotional, although I couldn't understand a single word featured in the song, it still moved me to tears.
So, eager to watch the whole film, I resorted to Netflix to watch the film, only to find that the film wasn't on Netflix, without any subscription to Anime Sites such as Crunchyroll, and not being willing enough to stream the movie on any illegal sites, although it was not like the S.A.S were going to track me down for watching a foreign movie on an illegal website, I was still not willing to make that risk.
Instead, I opted to search for an alternative, which wasn't that hard, all I had to do was search up 'Your Name' on Netflix and choose a film at random, the film I happened to choose was 'A Silent Voice', at first glance, I thought it was going to be a generic Your Lie in April rip-off, but I was sorely mistaken.
Upon first viewing the movie, I completely ignored arguable the most crucial scene in the movie, the first scene, this scene sets the scene for most of the movie, apart from the few scenes after, which is in short, a rundown of how Shouya first met Shouko, I would go into more detail, but I don't really want to spoil major plot points in the movie, therefore making this Forums post miles less long, which isn't exactly a bad thing, it can just get confusing at points for people who haven't actually seen the movie itself.
I had the same reactions to the first scene throughout the movie until I was introduced to the character of Tomohiro Nagatsuka, Tomohiro is fairly small in height, he has curly seaweed green hair that sticks out from his hair in frizzled balls, he is fairly large in weight and size around his centre mass, with a passionate love for all things Drama-related, Tomohiro for me is the first character that somewhat changes the atmosphere in Koe no Katachi from a depressive state that hits you in the guts sourly, to a slightly cheery aura, in my opinion the main thing that Tomohiro embraces is his friendship towards Shouya, being almost too warm towards him,some may say the only reason Tomohiro is friends with Shouya is because he returned his bike, but this is obviously wrong, as Tomohiro and Shouya are both alike mentally, the bike incident only set their friendship into place. After Tomohiro's introduction, and decline in screen-time, I decided to stop watching the movie as I wasn't really paying attention in the first place.

Change:

I had left the movie for quite a few months, before revisiting it with a friend around 4 months after first seeing the movie, I expected the same outcome as last time, me watching it halfway through before leaving it, disappointed, but this time I decided to approach it differently. As the first scene started to play out, I paid attention unlike the last time in which I stared at the Screen, unaware of what was happening, after watching the first scene, my favourite character had changed, from Tomohiro to Shouya, Shouya has that sense of desperation in his character trying to fix the torn relationship he had built up and destroyed with Shouya during his time at Elementary School, as the movie goes on you can't help but feel worse and worse for Shouya as his health somewhat crumbles. After the introduction of a few side characters, including Shouya's mother and sister, but also with characters that are rarely shown in both the manga and film, an example of one of these characters is Shouya's uncle, Pedro, father of his step-sister Ishida. Ishida is like Tomohiro, she's light-hearted, yet gullible, as any child should be, Ishida's character is there to combat Shouya's depressive attitude as she is unaware of
his suicide attempt at the start of the movie
During the first scene it filled me with mixed feelings, a part of my body felt sorrow and empathy for Shouya, yet the wholesomeness of Ishida made me smile slightly, so for me, it was a perfect balance, after the introduction of Shouko, I felt something different, I felt the real meaning of the film for the first time, the meaning is simple, listening, the theme of listening is extremely present throughout the movie, as mentioned before, Shouko, a deaf girl, couldn't hear, but Shouya, the male with no physical disabilities, didn't listen.
For most of the movie, nothing that changed me as a person really happened, until the near end of the movie in which
Shouko attempts suicide due to the fact that she lost hearing completely in her right ear, only for Shouya to save her last minute, for Shouya then to fall off himself and become hospitalised.
Ultimately, the last scene is arguably the best,
as the school fair rolls around and Shouya and Shouko have become friends, the last scene involves tears streamign down Shouya's eyes, at first glance, this may not seem like much, but paired with the brilliant OST, this scene gives the feeling of forgiveness, that willingness to let go of all the stress and pressure that had grounded you all your life.
The credits then roll, although the Movie didn't get everything the Manga covered, it is possible the best anime film of the century so far.
This movie changed me a fair bit, I became more sensitive to suicide, and I now know what people may be thinking when they're not speaking out loud.

How does this tie into SchoolRP?:
Well, thanks to A Silent Voice, I have created two characters inspired by the movie, Fudo Haung and Eichii O. Hanasaki, Fudo is a deaf male with tanned skin and red hair, he has a warm aura although unable to speak due tot he fact that he was deaf since birth, and Eichii is a joyful mute male with pale white skin and space black hair.

How A Silent Voice is a better movie than Your Name:
In my opinion A Silent Voice is ten times better of a movie than Your Name for one reason and one reason only, realism, the reason realism helps alot within a movie is because of relatability, in Your Name, you can't relate to the fact that you switched bodies with someone spontaneously, wheras in A Silent Voice, you may be able to relate to the fact that you may feel the same as Shouko, you may be deaf, you may be bullied at school, you may have bullied someone but want to apologise, I could list a whole lot more things that I could relate to in A Silent Voice whereas in Your Name I could say, 'I relate to the fact that they're human, so am I' and 'Oh, they want someone to love, so do I' there aren't really any points that you can relate to in Your Name.
As well, Your Name's story is extremely confusing and can be hard to follow whereas A Silent voice plays out beautifully, it's simple to understand, yet complex in so many ways, you could say the same for Your Name, but it's alot harder to follow Your Name's story as I mentioned before. Thirdly, A Silent Voice's OST is so much better than Your Name's, I don't think I have to explain why, just listen to both and tell me which one is better.

(I don't know if this post is SRP related enough, I hope so because I spent quite a bit of time on this)

Users who are viewing this thread