mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

HOW DO I TAILOR?

layzah

Level 45
layzah
layzah
Omega+
How can I make skins like tailors do? It seems really interesting and I want to try it out. However, i do not know how to.

Does anyone have advice?

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
Oh boy, here we go.

Any advice from players you think may be able to help is highly subjective, a lot of people experience different ways of learning how to shade but there is one thing that is absolutely key and should be consistent when doing so: you have to WANT to learn

wanting to try it out or experiment is simply not gonna cut it here because you have to pay attention and focus on every detail and learn from them.

start simple, gather references from other tailors and try to replicate their work in your own colours (do not use or sell this work without their permission of course) to get a feel for how they are layering their shading and placing their colours, focus on one limb at a time and make mental or physical note, which ever helps, once you learn a few different styles on limbs, you can branch out and begin laying colours in your own way, slowly building your own form of shading, this could take minutes to days to do so you need to have patience and confidence in your work and variants.

find namemc skins and try reshade them once you think you have a pretty good style down from your own creations and keep practicing.

@PretzelEnthusiast6969 is a friend of mine who would ask me consistently how I shaded my skins and every time I attempted to explain, it would not work, only once they branched into their own methods of learning and comprehending the style they wanted to achieve could they find they were able to visualise and create skins, and now, I would consider them even better than me.

The best way to learn is through finding your own flow and watching others grow.

EDIT: another thing to remember is that your style can always be ever changing, you do not have to stick to one form of shading once you think you’ve got it down, you can always adapt and alter

Last edited:

layzah

Level 45
layzah
layzah
Omega+
Oh boy, here we go.

Any advice from players you think may be able to help is highly subjective, a lot of people experience different ways of learning how to shade but there is one thing that is absolutely key and should be consistent when doing so: you have to WANT to learn

wanting to try it out or experiment is simply not gonna cut it here because you have to pay attention and focus on every detail and learn from them.

start simple, gather references from other tailors and try to replicate their work in your own colours (do not use or sell this work without their permission of course) to get a feel for how they are layering their shading and placing their colours, focus on one limb at a time and make mental or physical note, which ever helps, once you learn a few different styles on limbs, you can branch out and begin laying colours in your own way, slowly building your own form of shading, this could take minutes to days to do so you need to have patience and confidence in your work and variants.

find namemc skins and try reshade them once you think you have a pretty good style down from your own creations and keep practicing.

@PretzelEnthusiast6969 is a friend of mine who would ask me consistently how I shaded my skins and every time I attempted to explain, it would not work, only once they branched into their own methods of learning and comprehending the style they wanted to achieve could they find they were able to visualise and create skins, and now, I would consider them even better than me.

The best way to learn is through finding your own flow and watching others grow.

EDIT: another thing to remember is that your style can always be ever changing, you do not have to stick to one form of shading once you think you’ve got it down, you can always adapt and alter
So basically get a skin of choice, which u like the shading of, and try to test that shading with a skin of your own.

Last edited:

thornelle

Level 6
I've been tailoring since 2020 and as Customable stated- it is indeed very subjective to the person, so I'll give you a basic run down on how I learned (which, again, is very similar to Customable)

I usually got on SRP and collected usernames of people who had skins I like and searched them up on NameMC. I have a HUGE, HUGE, HUGEEE google folder with sooo many namemc links to SRP styled skins. What I would do with these is examine the shading and try to copy it on my own characters skin, and this took me a long, long time for me to get this down- but eventually it became memory and I've built off of that stolen style to sort of create my own.

So, taking Customable's advice- copying is something that will REALLLYYY help you learn how to tailor. I know it might be frowned upon but honestly most tailors I've talked to have started off the same way I have... copying a reference from someone elses skin. After a bit you'll get a basic sense of how things are usually shaded within the style and will be able to go without a reference and even build upon your own style.

imgayforwomen

Level 110
byewilliam
byewilliam
Rich
What I originally did was just get a bunch of palettes from friends and try to make my own skins, using other shading in the #skins channel in RPH. I could never be able to replicate shading exactly so I end up just making my own style.

Users who are viewing this thread