jenison_
DISCORD NAME & TAG:
jeni1255
WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Most of the time
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am very active on the server. I’m online every day, unless plans come up though those usually don’t prevent me from coming online. Right now I’m on more in the evening since I’m at college, but with summer coming up I will be able to be online much more often. I am currently on the majority of day and evening for weekends.
WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Maiden
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I have pretty common knowledge on Shintoism based on Japanese terms. My girlfriend follows it in real life and she teaches me about it. However, I am looking to be able to apply that knowledge and receive more knowledge surrounding Shintoism!
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I have been playing SRP since 2018, so I’ve been around to witness a lot of changes throughout the server, of course with some breaks here and there, but it has been so interesting to see how this server has grown and changed. I have had many years to develop my style of writing and be able to implement it on my characters, so I’m confident to say I have a unique way of detailrping! I enjoy being able to interact with many different people on the server and mix different styles of writing, and I am excited to be able to implement and further my knowledge on Shintoism through an opportunity like this.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I acknowledge I will have to attend mandatory trainings and am very interested to learn more about Shintoism through these trainings!
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Amoret Lévesque Tokugawa
CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Miss
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Dating
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
French
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-889-0216
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“My motivation for applying is without question the family that introduced me to this beautiful religion. The Tokugawa family welcomed me into their lives and family when I needed a home in Japan. They took countless hours out of their precious time to educate me in not only the language of Japan, but in their religion and culture as well. I have grown to be passionate about this religion, and would love nothing more than to continue to spread Shintoism to those that are curious about it, or looking to also expand their knowledge in the religion. I also believe I could learn valuable teachings by being a Miko, and I am always eager to better understand Shintoism.”
TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“From the times I have visited Karakura, I took the time to learn more about the grounds. It had been constructed as a Buddhist teaching ground, but has been switched to be committed to Shintoism. I believe it had suffered through a terrible fire and destroyed everything except for one building. The building where a Priest said the Kami resided. Apparently, a Priest had been speculated to be the one to light the fire, which is certainly intriguing. Why would a Priest feel moved to do such a destructive act? Many Kami left the mountain after this incident, except for one that is filled with immense sorrow. Some speculate that is why Karakura experiences miserable storms so often. I recall being interested as to why it had been built so high up in the mountains, and I discovered it had been for isolation. Which I know has certainly been a good thing for a while.”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Monastery Lead,
I am honored to be able to write to you. I would first like to express my gratitude for you taking the time to read this letter, as I am sure you have to read through a handful. My determination and dedication to practicing Shintoism and understanding the role of a maiden has been passionate since I was first introduced to the religion. I have spent many hours educating myself and ensuring I am prepared to take on the role of a maiden. I acknowledge I am at a slight disadvantage in the scope of my knowledge on the monastery in Karakura compared to others since I have been focused in Kyoto, but through the times I have visited and gotten to interact with the staff, I feel a strong calling to make the monastery my home. I will make up for this disadvantage through my drive to educate myself every possible moment I can on the city and the monastery. I will commit myself and my actions to the shrine that a few members of my family have grown to adore, and I will do everything in my power to make sure those in Karakura grow to love and appreciate the monastery as much as my sisters do. I wish to be able to give back what this family has given me through Shintoism, and sincerely hope I am granted the opportunity to do so at your shrine. Thank you again for taking the time to read this letter, and I wish you well.
Sincerely,
Amoret Lévesque Tokugawa
BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Amoret Lévesque Tokugawa, the eldest daughter of four. She was born in the Côte d’Azur, France, fortunate enough to be born into a wealthy family. Her father was a remarkably successful anesthesiologist, and her mother was a respected scrub nurse. Despite her mother taking some time off work after each pregnancy, Amoret still found herself having to step up and help parent her sisters. When her mother would eventually return to work, and both parents were gone for long periods of time, Amoret was usually left to look after her siblings and make sure they were all fed, bathed, and staying on top of their studies. There was a large age gap between Amoret and the second oldest, Noémie, who was born when Amoret was seven years old. Granted, their parents would hire babysitters or have their grandparents look after them, but even her own sisters viewed Amoret as some sort of parental figure. And as the oldest, many expectations were set for Amoret. When she failed to meet these expectations, she was met with great disappointment and consequences. She wasn’t allowed to hang out with anyone if she had exams, projects, or school work that needed to be done. School always came first. Her younger siblings were let off easier though, and though it frustrated Amoret, she didn’t blame her sisters for her parents' strict methods.

In fact, as she got older, Amoret was able to realize from a young age that the way she was being treated was unfair. All the other kids her age got to hangout, go to events, and actually live their childhoods, but she had always been forced to focus on her school and hobbies her parents wanted her to do. And even though she hated missing out, she always put her best effort into her work and hobbies. Yet that wasn’t always enough for her parents. As any human, Amoret failed a lot. Sometimes she would fail a test, or flunk a project, or not perform well enough, and her parents would be livid. She could at rare times find solace in her mothers arms, but her mother usually sided with her father. At the young age of fifteen, Amoret had to learn to be graceful and forgive her parents. Despite how angry she was, and how much they hurt her, how could she hate the ones who fed her? Cared for her sisters? And at rare times supported her? In fact, it was the way her parents behaved that piqued her interest in psychology. She wanted to know why people behaved the way they did, why parents treated children the ways they did, etc. The more she learned, the more fascinated she became with the mind. By seventeen she knew that she wanted to become a psychiatrist. Fueled with a personal motivator, Amoret prioritized her studies in University. She attended a University in Kyoto Japan, and her sister Noémie tagged along to continue school with her. Their parents had a long history with a family in Kyoto, the Tokugawa family. In a way, their families had been deeply connected throughout history. So, when their children expressed an interest in going out of the country for an education experience, their parents knew their girls had a safe place to land.

The Tokugawa family helped Amoret and Noémie learn the language a couple years in advance of them moving to Japan, so once she got her transfer approved for a University in Kyoto, she was already familiar with the language and culture. Throughout living with the Tokugawa family, she was taught in the ways of their religion as well, which happened to be Shintoism. Amoret found herself growing deeply immersed with the religious aspect of life, and found that she had the opportunity to be able to help others in another form. In the form of religion instead of psychiatry. While her interest in the mind has never dwindled, her drive to help others and aid them in finding a sense of purpose or comfort has nestled itself in the desire to be a maiden. So, the Tokugawa’s continued to educate her further in Japan’s culture once she actually moved there, and now since a large branch of the Tokugawa family is located in Karakura, she is looking for a spot at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery so that she can not only be closer to her second family, but pursue her dream. Tokugawa's mother, Izumi, took a lot of time to teach Amoret in the ways of a Miko and helped her prepare to become one.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

“There are definite lines between the duties Priests and Maidens have. Shrine maiden’s perform the duties of learning ancient festival dances, such as kagura. They pray, give divination, and are the receivers of divine orders. They assist priests and hold the privilege of being able to ensure the shrine grounds remain clean and tidy. These are sacred grounds after all. Now, priests are the spokes-person for the kami. To those who seek something such as a ritual, they are capable of performing such a thing. Both shrine maidens and priests are valuable, and the shrine cannot exist without either of them. They ensure Shintoism remains alive and pure in the world today.”

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
“The steps at the purification trough are quite simple! When first arriving at the shrine, all must approach the water trough, which holds water taken from within the monastery - a source of divine water. They must then take the ladle set out nearby and fill it with the water from the trough. After doing so, they are to pour it over their hands, ensuring that this is down slowly so their hands are thoroughly cleansed. Once the hands are cleansed, they are to then cleanse their mouth. This is done so by cupping their hands and gathering water from the trough. It is important to not swallow the water! After the water is put into their mouth, they must turn from the trough, pour the water from their mouth into their cupped hands, and empty their hands nearby. Not in the trough. Spitting it back into the trough would contaminate the water and ruin the purification of the water. It is insanely disrespectful as well to spit back into the trough.”

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
“There are usually bells that you can ring, but in the case there isn’t one, then an offering of a certain amount of yen is put into a box at the main building. Once this is completed, then the offering can be made. In this order, you use rice, alcohol, salt, and water. Though, this can change depending on the shrine. Some allow only specific types of salt and rice. The lids are to be taken off of the water and other bottles while the offering is being made. Similar to bowing, it is important to make sure it is at this specific angle after the offering is made. You are to bow at 90 degrees and clap your hands together twice. After the second clap, keep them pressed together while you make your prayer, and then keep silent and thank the Kami for their time.”

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
“Well, to start a tea ceremony, you must be the first to bow to your guests, who will then bow in return. Assuming the offer of tea is accepted, the guests will be guided to the tea house, where the tea will be brewed! You will direct the guest to where they will sit and wait for the tea whilst you make it. Herbs are usually already prepared, so the next step is to take the herbs and tea leaves out. They are to be set in hot water for a portion of time. The water is meant to be hot but not boiling! Once the herbs and tea leaves have sat in the hot water for the required time, take the tea to the guests. The bowl is to be turned with your right hand, and you must pour the tea for the guests. After pouring their tea, you ask them if they wish for anything to be added to their tea. If not, then that is done. However, throughout the course of the guests drinking, it is important for you to ensure their cup is refilled if they finish their cup.”

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
“Tamagushi is a type of offering. It is the act of offering our spirit and heart to the Kami. You can add an Asa to the Tamagushi, which would be what represents your heart, and the Sakaki will act as your spirit. When making the offering, the leaves are pointed towards your body, and the stem is facing forwards. This action is the way for you to offer your heart and spiritual energy to Kami.”

“Ofuda is a card, or paper, that is used as a talisman. It is engraved with a blessing and usually holds the name of a specific Kami. These are used as a charm to protect the holder from curses or dangerous spirits. Ofuda have the life force of Kami within them, which is what makes them so influential.”

“The Kagura Suzu is an instrument the Tokugawa family has shown me a handful of times. There are bells attached all along the instrument. It’s commonly used in dance rituals and is something maidens are required to use during said rituals.”

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
I follow Yatagarasu, the Kami of guidance. Yatagarasu has been a major role model throughout the last several years of my life, and I am very proud of how far I have come, all thanks to Yatagarasu’s guidance. I will continue to follow and grow in my relationship with the Kami, and dedicate my life to Yatagarasu.
───────────────────────────────────────

Users who are viewing this thread