mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

KARAKURA NEWS | Public Sentiment: What Does Karakura Think?

Public Sentiment: What Does Karakura Think?​



A new Mayor can often be controversial, and the current one is no different by virtue of being in Karakura. With the recent appointment of The Right Honorable, Lord Katsuhito Saiky-Akihito, Mayor of Karakura, much of the public is left wondering what he has, or will, or may, bring about. Several political groups have formed that are decidedly against his appointment—against his person, for they were formed before he was made Mayor—while many other individuals believe that his recent actions (most notably, according to those who have expressed a positive view of him, the decreed illegality of the so-called ‘cult’ that is the Tenkai Fellowship) are the first steps in creating a better, safer town for the people.


Twenty individuals were questioned regarding their opinions on current events. They had varied ages, occupations, genders, and political views. One individual, Deno von Moltke, was specifically sought out for an interview, however the other nineteen were taken at convenience from crowds or public areas.

To speak further on that man, Deno von Moltke is a fairly influential figure in Karakura, known for his connections to other influential and public figures, such as Bao Koji and Elgin Oktay, as well as his wealth and job position. He is the Director of Löwe Security, and has publicly expressed disdain for Mayor Saiky-Akihito and a wish for reform of what he calls the ‘police state’ of Karakura. The transcribed interview will be at the end of this article.

Elgin Oktay, leader of the Society of the Young Valiants, Friends of Liberty and Justice, otherwise simply called the Young Valiants, holds much the same political views as von Moltke, and has been publicly against Mayor Saiky-Akihito for a period of several months. These are the leaders of the movement which wishes to end Lord Katsuhito’s leadership, but what of those who wish to preserve it?

Though there is no widespread movement against Deno von Moltke and his cohort, individual citizens have expressed disdain for these movements and respect for Lord Katsuhito. Most notably, individuals who are hard on crime, and who view the Tenkai Fellowship as a cult, mostly have positive opinions of Lord Katsuhito, expressing satisfaction for Decree 009 of 2026, which declared, “The Tenkai Fellowship is hereby criminalized by the government of Karakura. Any and all individuals that are found to be associating or participating in the fellowship will be considered criminals by the Government of Karakura and the Karakura Police Department.” One esteemed PHD student even stated that, “it sheds light on that fragility within our rules… When you consider that it took more than a whole year to declare that organization as illegal, it shows that our laws are not sufficiently robust to prevent edge cases for people treading a thin line between law and crime.” This same man went on to say, regarding his trust of the government to continually act in the public’s best interest, “my trust would rely on both how secure the laws and Constitution are—as well as the intent of the current government. While I personally hold trust in the current intent of our government, I would say the rules are still fragile to this day.”


Of those who were hard on crime and held no deep-seated disdain for the current mayor, and who knew what the Tenkai Fellowship was, all held the same view on Decree 009 of 2026. Namely, that it was necessary. One student said, "I think it's about time. The Tenkai Fellowship itself is just a Buddhist group, but it serves as an entry point into a criminal organization. I believe that [opportunities] to turn to crime should be kept to an absolute minimum, and the apprehension of Seluvis Nakazumi is the best way to ensure his organization cannot find more victims."

Regarding Mayor Saiky-Akihito’s appointment, one student said, “... I think he’s long been the most powerful person in Karakura, this is just an officialization of that.” And another, “... think it’s ridiculous. [A] person like that should not be runnin’ the city. Always been a shady person…” Even among those who praise Decree 009, the Mayor’s position is polarizing. Many people feel that appointment is unfair and not in the people’s best interest, while a smaller number argue that appointment from the mainland is the fairest way to run things due to the lack of citizenship—and thus voting rights—for a large portion of the population. One man stated, “I understand that Mayors of Karakura would commonly be appointed by the mainland… Many Karakurans have called for Mayoral elections, but we find ourselves in a rather delicate situation: citizenship. In order to vote for a Mayor… you would need the Japanese nationality—which many Karakurans do not possess.”

In short, many Karakurans feel that Mayor Saiky-Akihito’s appointment to be unfair, while a smaller sect sees appointment as necessary and fair. Decree 009 of 2026 is popular among those who are both hard and crime and aware of the Tenkai Fellowship as an organization, even within those who dislike Mayor Saiky-Akihito. Below is a full interview with Deno von Moltke, transcribed for your convenience. He is the frontrunner of the movement against the Mayor, and has strong opinions regarding the alleged ‘police state’ of Karakura.




​
[There was a photo of Savo Di Maiori and Deno von Moltke at the top of the text.]
Savo Di Maiori
"Firstly, what is your full name and occupation?

Deno von Moltke
"Deno von Moltke. I am the Director of Löwe Security."

Savo Di Maiori
"How informed are you regarding the city's politics?"

Deno von Moltke
"I spend quite a lot of my time ensuring that I am informed on the city's affairs."

Savo Di Maiori
"How much do you trust the government to continually act in the public interest?"

Deno von Moltke
"At this moment, I do not trust any 'dynasty' to serve the people's best interests at all; least of all the Akihito 'dynasty.'"
Savo Di Maiori
"How do you feel about the declared illegality of the Tenkai Fellowship, and Seluvis Nakazumi's ensuing arrest?"

Deno von Moltke
"I recall that Attorny General Giordano is on record, stating that the Fellowship shows indication of being a cult; and subsequently, I expect him to represent Nakazumi as he promised to do so... On that note, I do not think that any arrest is 'legal' without due process and judicial oversight."
Savo Di Maiori
"Of course. What is your opinion on Katsuhito Saiky-Akihito's appointment to Mayor?"

Deno von Moltke
"I think that the title of 'Lord-Mayor' lends an unnecessarily aristocratic sentiment to the title, which is fitting, seeing as they are appointed without any input from the common populace. In short, I think it is disgraceful that his authority comes via appointment, not the people."

Savo Di Maiori
"What is this town's biggest flaw?"

Deno von Moltke
"The lack of respect and regard for civil liberties and human rights."

Savo Di Maiori
"Do you have anything you would like to say about the government before we move on to the next half?"

Deno von Moltke
"I consider myself a reformist at heart, and there is a dire necessity to believe in reform for meaningful change to come forward. An institution that does not prioritize due process and liberty is not a legitimate government; it is oppression hidden under the veil of bureaucracy."

Savo Di Maiori
"Quite an articulate answer. Onto the next half—do you feel safe around police?"

Deno von Moltke
"In regular interactions, yes; I have people I consider acquaintances, long-time friends, and family at the department. But I do not feel safe knowing that the wider department, as an institution, enforces laws through unjust procedures that bypass due process."

Savo Di Maiori
"Do you believe that police are generally unfair?"

Deno von Moltke
"As people, no; they are human beings with a moral conscience, and I know full well that there are individuals that are not totally apathetic to the department's failures. In fact, some of them believe in reform, but feel quietly pressured to remain silent. I think that the department's procedures are deeply flawed and unfair."

Savo Di Maiori
"Do you believe that police generally act in the public interest when it comes to the average person?"

Deno von Moltke
"I believe that they have the public's best interests at heart, but they will never act in their interest so long as their department's procedures bypass judicial oversight."

Savo Di Maiori
"Have you had more negative or positive with officers, detectives, and the like?"

Deno von Moltke
"I think that has been very mixed."

Savo Di Maiori
"And is there anything you'd like to add before we move on?"

Deno von Moltke
"I think that it is important to remember that, as the police are human beings, they are not above criticism or scrutiny; they can be moral people, and enforce immoral laws because they are told to do so. True criticism should be leveled appropriately, distinguishing people from institutions and pointing out fault as it is necessary. There are indeed things wrong with the department, contrary to what has been said about their gallantry, and there are indeed things that are wrong with the people who wield authority in it—just as there are good things about the individuals who work for it, too."

Savo Di Maiori
"Well said, Director. I would like to highlight the fact that you so often stressed the humanity of the very individuals you criticize. This is commendable and worthy of respect, of course, but what drove you to take on such a human approach to such matters?"

Deno von Moltke
"Because I have had the pleasure of meeting these people as individuals in the past, and many of these individuals have undeniable integrity; these are the same individuals who wish to see meaningful change, and have sincere dialogues about what can be done in the name of reform. I will always criticize the institution first, and if necessary, the people who are worthy of the same scrutiny."

Savo Di Maiori
"Many folks could learn a thing or two from that. I have already heard your thoughts on the 'police state' that Karakura allegedly is, but for the sake of the public, would you mind going into that?"

Deno von Moltke
"If you read the definition of a 'police state,' you will find that 'arbitrary use of police' and 'bypass transparent procedures' are two of the most important conditions that bind the word to its meaning. Every other country on earth, including the mainland, separates the authority of investigative bodies and judicial bodies to ensure that there is clear, efficient due process taken to ensure the validity of every arrest and punishment issued. Karakura is a clear outlier in this; in Karakura, in the name of efficiency and security, police procedure rips judicial oversight apart, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights very clearly states that everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal. Without that fair and public hearing by an impartial tribunal to determine the validity of an arrest and detainment, Karakura perfectly fits the definition of a 'police state.'"

Savo Di Maiori
"I would hazard to say that the public was not even aware that the department themselves verified evidence, and most folks probably have not had a friend be imprisoned, which would mean that most are not aware of the steep cost of a non-guilty plea. What are your thoughts on how the protest—which, as I understand, was led by you—turned out? Would you say it was a success or a disgrace, or perhaps something else entirely?"

Deno von Moltke
"I believe that it had a rough start, because people are rightly skeptical; there has never been a long-lasting, determined political movement to ever successfully force change in my time in the city. I think that critics were determined to make a mockery of it; however, as the attendees gathered the courage and resolve to speak out and express their frustration, it became very obvious that these critics were very decisively outnumbered. It was, in my opinion, a wonderful display to see Premier Governor Ha, Glass, and Achebe on the stage and attempt to hear the people's concerns... But it became evident that the majority were discontent with the government's recent conduct. I consider it a success, as it is the first stepping stone to spread awareness about pro-reformist thought."

Savo Di Maiori
"And do you have any regrets? Perhaps a question answered poorly?"

Deno von Moltke
"I think that there was a misconception that I sympathize with cults. I do not. I believe that all citizens deserve a right to due process, and if they are truly guilty of a crime, the system will function as intended to prove that guilt. This belief is without exception, regardless of what you affiliation is."

Savo Di Maiori
"The righteous—and right—way to see things, surely. What is driving you, you, specifically, to speak out against the injustice within the town's system? Would it be right to say that you are merely doing this out of your love for the city and the common man?"

Deno von Moltke
"Because this island is run by a class of individuals who have all the wealth, power, and influence they could dream of—but refuse to use their stature as a podium from which their voice can inspire or benefit the city we live in. A common criticism I receive is that I am not fit to speak on these issues... Who else is doing so? Who else is using their resources, and their time to voluntarily stand up for justice? Civic engagement is no longer an option for me; it is a duty."

Savo Di Maiori
"Do you have anything you'd like to say to the public before we close out? I will be including the entirety of this interview in the article I am writing, so use this as a podium."

Deno von Moltke
"Nothing is lost so long as courage remains; one should not feel insecure or afraid to believe that change is possible through reform; those who have the audacity to dream of change far outnumber those who do not."

Savo Di Maiori
"I thank you for your time, Director. God bless you."


​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top