KARAKURA NEWS | Winter's Beaches

Wrath ⛥

Level 99
conqnest
conqnest
Notable

Winter's Beaches

Reported by Cadell P. Thornwood

As the winter and fall seasons approach the corner- leaves fall from trees, ice coats the surrounding foliage like stained glass, and people begin to stray further indoors to keep away from the cold- what does this mean for the shoreside of Karakura - more specifically, the beaches and what may lay beside the ocean’s water?

Often occupied during any other time of the year, most notably during the summer, frequently during spring, and left only to the most determined during autumn, as the water and the air begins to chill. It’s often something forgotten about by much of the populous- excluding the pleasant view it excludes for anyone willing to take a trip to the beach in their winter coat to stare across a sea of glass.

But otherwise, it generally finds itself forgotten, it’s appeal lost beneath winter’s own surrounding trends, or occupied by determined (and uncautious) ice skaters, who finally may find a purpose in the beach’s iced cover.
The animals sink to where they may rest until the summer months approach again, or have left long ago, making their way to deeper, un-iced water.

Alongside this, frequent economic drops when it comes to the boardwalk and general reasonable disinterest when it comes towards the beach and the surrounding area, given the temperature drop- the interest tending to be saved for the warmer months.

The climate is always changing- and the ocean is no different, but what happens to the beach? aside from the poetry of it all, there is of course, a real, proper answer, leaning more on the science side of things for this report, I intend to share with you what specifically happens to the ocean- and Karakura’s famous beachside over the course of the winter.

Interestingly, traditionally beaches only freeze around the coldest areas- given the fact that saltwater freezes at a lower temperature than normal water, alongside the fact that ocean water is frequently constantly in motion, in comparison to traditionally freezing waters. This mixes well with the simply vast area that would have to be frozen, making it extremely difficult and unlikely- and yet in order to protect the beach, the winds tend to shift the sand and shoreside, with higher tides and waves as it moves the previously offshore abundance of sand to form into sandbars - which protect the beach from further erosion and impact that the winter might have on it.

As seen on Karakura’s oceanside, specifically - there is a presence of cliffs and steepness- that, while being a source of danger for anyone who may decide to explore the beach during the winter months, is not at all uncommon for beaches to possess, and even serves functionality for protection of the beach.
This may uniquely surprise people by beaches potentially looking smaller during winter, but it is actually just another display of a beaches’ unique functionality to protect itself.

The Boardwalk

Moving onto the secondary topic; What exactly sort of effect does winter have on something like the boardwalk? More specifically- the things that reside on the boardwalk, like the shops, especially the potential results on the stores.
Given this particular interest, I’ve taken the steps to interview a shopowner - relating to today’s topic, who owns a shop on the boardwalk, seeing the questions relative to what we’d like to discuss. Moreover, the relative factors of the winter weather to the economy- or even functionality on the boardwalk during these times of the year.

The interview.

“Do you think the winter seasons will have any affect when it comes to running Rotatsu Music?”

"As far as sales go, not really. I don't have any special christmas stock that I bring out for the holiday season. However the shop is already decorated in preparation for the holidays."

“With the colder weather, do you think it’ll make any difference when it comes to your shop’s accessibility- or it’s location on the boardwalk will make much of a difference, being by the beach?”

"Possibly. With my shop location being right on the beach pier, I could see the potentiality of less customers willing to make the walk all the way down to the beach with the cold wind and sand."

“In general, do you think winter will make any difference when it comes to the economy? Specifically when it comes to the boardwalk, and related things.”

"The summers will always be more popular for the boardwalk, that's pretty much a given. Though I don't expect a massive change in the amount of sales I make depending on the weather, I do know that there will be less activity around the boardwalk in general."

“Is there anything you think that you think will be a concern when it comes to the cold weather?”

"Not really if I'm being completely honest. This isn't my first year opening shop on the beachside. The winter season is worth the view from my office."

“Do you have anything else to say?”

"I don't believe I've got anything else to say other than thank you for the interview."

Concluding today’s report on the effects of winter on the beaches - as well as the boardwalk, ultimately it does not seem as if much of the winter will have a substantial or notable effect on the economy- besides of course the influx of seasonal-related purchases, such as shovels or warmer clothes. Nevertheless, be wary this winter, and stay tuned for future reports; Speaking of the economy . . .

Signing off, Cadell Percival Thornwood.

Last edited:

DongMoon

Level 10
DongMoon
DongMoon
Omega+
I must show this to Erik.
He will definitely appreciate your detailed a n a l y s i s of sand grain migration patterns and the thrilling economics of winterized boardwalk retail.
It's like reading a riveting thriller, if the thriller was about watching paint dry in a blizzard....

ErikFinster

Level 114
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
actually... this IS an amazing article!
It's rare to find journalism that pays such close attention to the nuances of seasonal changes in a coastal community.
I enjoyed it tremendously! Kudos for such insightful work! ♡(ŐωŐ人)

Last edited:

Wrath ⛥

Level 99
conqnest
conqnest
Notable
actually... this IS an amazing article!
It's rare to find journalism that pays such close attention to the nuances of seasonal changes in a coastal community.
I enjoyed it tremendously! Kudos for such insightful work! ♡(ŐωŐ人)
thankkkk you ^_^ it was fun to work on .

Users who are viewing this thread