Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):

kettlesip

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
kettlesip

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
GMT+8/Singapore Standard Time

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes. I do not speak often but I’m okay with using it.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
My activity on the server is about 3-5 hours on a regular day. I know that training for factions may be held late within my timezone but I can manage with my flexible schedule. My timezone has not stopped me from attending SRP events, holding practices for my team when I was the swim captain for about a year, and advancing my character to college masters through the in-game exams. For the activities I do within the server itself, I only play one character which I have dedicated time to forging her story and creating deep connections with other players with the use of meaningful and engaging roleplay.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Before this, I have done some basic research on Shintoism. Being someone who only really heard about this religion on Japanese travel TV shows and SRP, I have taken a great interest in looking into it. Besides having my significant other who practices the religion cover some aspects of it, I’ve also read some articles on travel and cultural sites to gain more insight into it. Here is what I know about it so far summarised in a few sentences. Shintoism is the way of the Kami or the way of life, more orientated with community and nature. Kami are not necessarily gods but can be considered as spirits or divine beings of any aspect. They can be residing in trees, lakes, and oceans and can even be our ancestors. Amaterasu and Inari are one of the more popular worshipped Kami all across Japan. In Shinto, it is generally believed that all humans are fundamentally good-natured. I am always prepared to learn more about the religion as Shinto by itself sounds like an interesting and meaningful faith. I am willing to learn more about Shintoism from members of the shrine faction and also self-studying to further refine my skills in roleplaying as a shrine maiden and contributing to the experience of making the shrine feel like a genuine place to be in.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
There are some aspects I possess that allow me to stand out from the other applicants. I only play one character. This allows me to dedicate most of my time and energy to becoming the shrine maiden that I envisioned my character to be. Not only will I ensure that I give visitors and fellow shrine staff the best roleplay experience possible, but I will also integrate the way of being a Maiden as an important part of my character’s story. Even though this is the first application that I will be submitting in the forums other than my language app, I truly believe that my determination to leave a lasting impression in the community will help. The time that I have spent as a sports faction captain has allowed me to be more thoughtful, methodical, and patient with people. I am willing to help people enjoy their experience in the shrine, whether out of character or in character the best I can.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I acknowledge.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Haruka Tokugawa Sakura-ki

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mrs

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Married

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(+81) (030)-417-9525

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
My motivation to apply as a Maiden stems from a personal journey of self-reflection. I have always pondered what my purpose in life was, which sounds absurd coming from someone who has not even reached her thirties yet. Even though I am Japanese, I have never known much about Shintoism as my parents brought me up in another country and they worshipped a different faith during that time. All of this changed the moment I stepped foot into Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. I was taken aback by the beauty of the shrine and how peaceful everything felt. This pushed me to begin learning more about Shinto. I have never stopped being amazed at every snippet of information I learn about this wonderful shrine and its practices. Shintoism has allowed me to appreciate my family, friends, and the nature around me. It showed me that I was thinking too far and should slow down to appreciate the past, present, and future equally. As I am writing this, I do want to be a Maiden. Our shrine is a place that I have grown to treasure a lot. Many parts of my life here are intertwined with it. From prayers of safety made to family, matches in the dojo, sharing a kiss with my lover on New Year’s Celebration to the Shinto marriage with my wife. It has proven to me countless times that everything is indeed linked with the Kami that helps make up our world. I want to ensure that the shrine is always kept this way, a place where I can connect with the Kami, my family, and friends which are the things I truly cherish.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I know that the shrine is one of the oldest structures of Karakura. The priests and maidens have told me that fires have occurred before and the only surviving building stood on the hill behind the dojo. At this point of writing, I am aware of a kitsune spirit named ‘Kitsa’ that roams the shrine because she enjoys the place. ‘Kitsa’ told me that the Kami worshipped in this shrine is Chiharu Yamatsumi. The shrine holds several amenities in each building. Walking to the Main Center of the shrine, we are greeted by a Sakura tree that seems everblooming. To the left of it is a gift shop where one can purchase omamori and blessed lanterns. The gift shop also allows one to hang up their prayers and wishes on ema plaques. Opposite the gift shop would be a tea house where tea would be served to visitors. Leading further into the monastery would be a Torii gate. The monastery is where you can pray and offer to the Kami. The left of the monastery has a mysterious cave with some strange drawings on it while the right has a dojo where one can spar. Right beside the dojo is a fortune-telling hut. You can ask the shrine staff to perform tarot card readings. Finally, the building that survived the fires rests on the hill behind the dojo. Signs of ageing and fire damage can be viewed throughout.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Monastery Lead,

I know you’re swamped, so I’ll be brief. I am interested in being under your guidance to become a shrine maiden. I have been nothing but grateful for the experiences Shinsei Seinaru Monastery has provided me. I sincerely hope that you can give me a chance to provide the same sanctuary of peace, community, and upbringing the shrine has given me. I am truly willing to undertake the training to become a Maiden worthy of representing our shrine.

Sincerely,
Haruka Tokugawa Sakura-ki

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Haruka was born on the 17th of May 2001, in Tokyo. Her twin brother was born shortly after, making her the older sister. Her mother is a Filipina who worked as an English teacher in Tonan High School while her father is a Japanese scientist who worked in a water treatment plant. Both parents met and fell in love while they were pursuing their degrees at Tonan University. Haruka did not stay for long in Tokyo, her family had ultimately decided to move to the Philippines. The reason for this came down to the fact that while they were doing well financially, the long working hours and unhealthy work-life balance in Japan made it difficult to take care of two children. Her parents shared the dream of leading a comfortable and stress-free life outside the city where they could focus on their children.

Haruka spent most of her childhood surrounded by nature. Her father’s expertise in environmental science had led him to spend a huge sum of the family’s savings to purchase a plot of land for hydroponics, greenhouse, and GMO farming in Bicol. This meant that most of her childhood was spent playing outside with her brother, exploring the natural landscape, and spending quality time with her close-knit community. This lifestyle allowed Haruka to receive a decent upbringing from her parents. Her parents taught her how to speak and write Tagalog, Kanji and a little bit of English. Together, they allowed Haruka to become a person who is expressive yet modest. Even though these experiences date to the early days of her childhood, they still shaped the person she is today. She always appreciated the beauty of nature and being amongst her loved ones.

Unfortunately, life wasn’t always just sunshine and rainbows for her. As Haruka grew older, it seemed as if more misery began to befall her family. It started with the constant heavy monsoon and typhoons that threatened her family’s livelihood every season due to the damaged equipment and crop destruction. Then, illness befell her mother. Her mother was diagnosed with late-stage breast cancer with a few years left to live. Haruka was aware of her parents’ demise. They have been losing a large amount of money from all the turmoil. It became clear that their dream was nothing but naive and short-lived with poor planning. It seemed as though Haruka’s world had been turned upside down, her parents always argued and she wasn’t spared from the violence in the family. Like a fiery storm, her parents had become unforgiving. With only her brother to turn to, the most vivid memories of her childhood were protectively holding her brother close during nighttime, in a household that seemed to be held together with twigs now. It was during one of those nights when she finally decided that she needed to leave. Her household was no longer the place where she remembered. With news of Karakura town’s free education and carefree student lifestyle spreading across the world, she ignored the lashing remarks of selfishness and lack of empathy. She contacted her uncle who thankfully understood their situation and agreed to help.

At the age of 15, Haruka stepped foot into Karakura. Being a country girl, she was taken aback by the town's modern architecture and vibrant nightlife. Haruka made an effort to explore most landmarks of this town and it didn’t take long before she finally stepped foot into Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. Immediately, she was taken aback by the atmosphere and scenery of the shrine. The serenity reminded her of some precious memories she held dear back in the Phillippines. Her father had mentioned Shintoism before but didn’t go too in-depth about it. With a sense of growing curiosity inside her, she decided to find out more about Shinto.

During her time as a student, Haruka had grown into a beautiful and modest woman. With a caring heart, she’d often act as a good listener to her friends. As someone who easily empathises with others and reads the room, she isn’t a bore to be around. When she studied at Karakura High School and College, she joined the College swim team. Her approachable and determined attitude eventually led her to become the team’s captain. Haruka also found the love of her life, Kiyataka Sakura-ki while she was in College. Many deemed their relationship dynamics to be opposite but interconnected. Haruka’s usually friendly and cheerful demeanour would often be contrasted with Kiyataka’s tired and emotionless gaze. While there were people who reasonably doubted their relationship, she was more than happy with Kiyataka. Kiyataka’s stern and strong stance acted as a pillar of support for Haruka, she always wanted someone to lean back to and listen to her words whilst Haruka’s hopeful smile and loving embrace painted colourful water droplets into Kiyataka’s world The two would eventually get married right before graduation, marking a new chapter in their life.

To say that Shinto affected Haruka's life would be an understatement. The shrine became her favourite place. Learning about Shinto helped Haruka find the inner peace she was looking for. The fundamentals of this faith stating that "human beings are good-natured and their wrongdoings are committed by evil spirits" allowed her to eventually forgive her parents’ wrongdoings and herself for making the tough decision to leave. 7 years have passed since Haruka moved to this town. Many parts of her life revolved around the shrine. Haruka could remember the prayers of safety for her family at the Monastery to the tarot card readings she did together with her friends. She recalls the late afternoon chatter of familiar faces and the curious peeks of animals that visited the shrine. Most importantly, the image of the kiss she shared with the love of her life at the bridge on New Year's Day as the fireworks erupted colours into the sky and the Shinto-style wedding ceremony she performed with her wife still replays in her head to this day.

Haruka has been nothing but grateful for the sanctuary Shinsei Seinaru Monastery is. As her graduation closed in, she sat with her wife at home to discuss their occupation for the future. Haruka thought for a while, unsure of what she wanted until her gaze wandered to the Kamidana near the doorstep. She smiled at the delicate memories she cherished. Not only did she want to thank the Kami, but she also wished that she could maintain and provide that same feeling of serenity she felt when she first stepped foot into the shrine.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Maidens serve as assistants to Priests when performing rituals. Shrine Maidens can also perform the Kagura dance, which is a dance dedicated to the Kami. In Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, Maidens tidy the shrine, sell omamori and lanterns in the gift shop, serve tea to visitors in the tea house, and perform tarot card readings in the fortune hut. Priests act as a messenger between the human and the Kami. They can do this by performing rituals and reciting Norito so that the words of requestors can reach the Kami more easily. In this town, I have seen priests also seal evil spirits away during October and perform Shinto marriage ceremonies for couples.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Before we can cross the bridge and proceed to the inner grounds of the shrine, we need to cleanse ourselves of any impurities. We can do this with the Temizuya before the bridge. This is especially important in Karakura because anything connected to death or the dead will taint the sacred grounds of the shrine. I will simplify this into easy-to-follow steps as I will most definitely use this to teach anyone unfamiliar with our customs.

1)Pick up the ladle with your right hand and scoop up some water from the basin.

2)Hold the ladle over the drainage so any used water does not dirty the basin.

3)Pour some water down your left hand then hold the ladle on your left hand and cleanse your right hand as well.

4)Holding the ladle in your right hand again, pour some water on your left hand rinse your mouth and spit out the water

Please cover your mouth when you spit and aim for the DRAIN!

5)Finally, rinse your left hand once more and rotate the ladle upright to let the remaining water flow down on it, put the ladle back where it was.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
In the main building, you start by placing ¥100 into the offering box. Take a step back and ring the bell once, followed by two bows and two claps to let the Kami know of your presence. It's not needed to recite or speak your prayers out loud. Once done, bow once more to show your gratitude to the Kami for listening.

There are a few things to note when offering your prayers. Firstly, not all shrines have bells but it's okay! Clapping your hands should alert the Kami enough…
Secondly, your prayers can be anything, but they should mostly be prayers of gratitude. Prayers for help or advice can be done but I believe the Kami is always looking over us. I would like to imagine that they are very busy with their jobs and if you need your words to reach them urgently, you can always contact the Priest for that. Finally, you can offer other things other than money, but it's good to talk with the shrine staff about it before doing so.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The Japanese tea ceremony is a long and intricate process, often spanning several hours if it is performed with a full-course meal. Many steps follow a specific motion or technique. The ceremony emphasises the art of precision, elegance and appreciation. Some steps include admiration of the host, the tea and the room itself! I will summarise it in a simplified form.

Before guests arrive, ensure that you have your tea cloth, whisk, scoop, strainer, kettle, tea bowl and caddy ready. Welcome guests into the tea house and sit them down on the tatami mat. Bring in your tea equipment and cleanse it in front of the guests. Then begin preparing thick tea. Guests take a sip from the same bowl and clean the rim with the cloth before passing on to the next person, they are allowed to compliment the tea and your preparation techniques after tasting. Once every guest has tasted the thick tea, they have the opportunity to admire the tea bowl before returning it. You will then cleanse the equipment and leave the room.

When you return, prepare thin tea for the guests. I know that recipes vary from school to school but thin tea has about 3-4 times less concentration of matcha powder compared to thick tea. Remember that one bowl of thin tea is required for each guest. This section of tea appreciation is less formal, so guests can initiate casual conversations and small talk. They may also request cushions if they desire a more comfortable seat. After you have finished cleansing the equipment, the guest of honour may ask for permission to view them. The equipment can be handmade by skilled craftsmen, inspecting the delicate equipment is a form of admiration for the host. After exchanging bows, the tea ceremony should be concluded.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
A Tamagushi is an offering made to the Kami during ceremonies such as a Shinto wedding. It is crafted with a piece of sakaki tree branch with strips of traditional Japanese paper known as washi attached to it in a zig-zag pattern.

Ofuda are talismans or amulets that come in the form of paper or wood. They usually have the name of the shrine or the kami written on it followed by the shrine’s official stamp. Ofuda may be kept in person or placed in their homes. Each Ofuda has its purpose, from warding off misfortune to blessings of safety and even aid in seeking romance.

Kagura suzu is an instrument with 12 miniature bells suspended over 3 coiled brass wires. The most common design is the top wire having 2 bells, the middle containing 4 and the bottom with 6. This instrument is used by Maidens during the Kagura dance,

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
She would worship Benzaiten. She is the Kami of all that flows. Water, music, knowledge, literature and even love. She has thought about visiting one of her three shrines in Enoshima island with her lover to write a pink ema plaque or ring the love bell together. As Haruka is someone who cherishes her lover a lot and also appreciates art, she can see herself taking to liking to Benzaiten's backstory and purpose.​

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread