[!] A voice recording of Kurēn Kaeda [!]
3 (1).png
one thousand cranes.png
[!] An old book with worn pages. Click to open the book [!]
4 (1).png
5 (1).png
Larger Page Bios (1).png
6 (1).png
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
RELATIONS

OOC NOTE
- This section is subject to change and will be regularly updated. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Immediate Family
The following are Kurēn’s closest relatives, consisting of her parents and siblings.

. . .

Asada Kaeda
[Father]
"Take her name out of your mouth. She sacrificed so much so that you could live. But in the end you abandoned her. I hope it was worth it. Now Rina is dead, and I will never be able to recover my image of you, father. You wanted so much for our family, but never stopped to ask if we were happy as we were.”

Sana Kaeda
[Mother]
“You are the only person I have never regretted giving up my happiness for. You taught me what mattered most, and in the end your teachings are what freed me. If going through it all would bring you back, I would have made that sacrifice a thousand times over. But I know that was the last thing you would have wanted. I hope I made you proud.”

Masaki Kaeda
[Younger Brother]
“You were always so outgoing, I wanted to see you succeed and grow to become something great. Though it has been years, I cannot help but hope you’ve done just that. Thank you for always supporting me, little brother, I miss you.”

Syuuji Kaeda
[Younger Brother]
“You always felt overshadowed in comparison to Masaki. But you never allowed that to stop you from loving him. I admired that in you Syuu. And when I hear of others never having the displeasure of suffering as I did, I recall your grace, and smile softly.”

William P. Murphy
[Non-blood Parental-Figure]
"When I was at my lowest point, lost beyond words, scared to step into the light, you offered me a warm embrace. Although I will never give another the title of "father," you exemplify everything I wish mine would have been. Bless you, William, may you know how important you are in the lives of others."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kaeda Relations
The following are for those who bear the Kaeda surname, but are not among Kurēn's immediate family.

. . .

Hanae Kaeda
[Cousin]
“You embodied our family more than I ever could have. You have done more for our family than I thought was possible. I fear what they will think of me, but I am grateful you did not turn a blind eye. Continue to gather prestigious and restore Kaeda’s honor back to its former glory.”

Umeko Otori-Kaeda
[Grandmother]
"Bitter old women, that is what I would have called you not too long ago. Someone who was trapped in rumors. But now I see it was my own fear which blinded me to many aspects of our family. Thank you for showing me the light grandmother."

Friendships
The following are for those who are considered close non-related friends of Kurēn.

. . .

Choko Aikawa
[Friend]
“You will always be a reminder to me of the importance of a genuine friendship. You are a pillar for patience which has guided me out of deep ravines. Cho, when I look at you, I feel as though I’m staring at another part of myself, one I desire to put from the sea. I will not let you drown, I promise. Do not apologize for simply wanting to be heard. Your voice could move mountains if only you’d let it.”

Juuzou Samura
[Friend]
“Frankly, I believe you’re a good person. In Karakura, it's hard to define what that means. But I think, deep down, you’re trying. Trying to keep those you care for safe, living the life you want to live, enjoying the small things. I appreciate the simplicity, sometimes a good life is as simple as having a snack.”

Kazuya Elyon-O'Sullivan
[Friend]
“Your willingness to step up, even when others have let you down, is a gift. One that doesn’t come around very often. In case you haven’t heard it before, I care about you greatly. I hope everyone you come into contact with, shares how you’ve changed them for the better. You deserve to be recognized. Don’t let the ignorance of another ruin the beauty of your kindness.”

Yamashi Kosuki
[Friend]
“If only you could see when you’re surrounded, the beauty of you continuing to live. You’re loved so greatly, yet you continue to see yourself for who you used to be, instead of who you’ve become. It's terrifying to move on, especially when you don’t know where you're going, yet I have a feeling you’ll be fine. I think you’re one of the strongest people I’ve come to know. I appreciate your willingness to stand up for what you believe in, to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. If I could have one wish for you, it would be for you to get a better mirror, because the one you keep looking in is broken.”

Saola Everest
[Friend]
“When I first met you, I was a bit off put. Your reckless driving habits and unconventional actions were certainly concerning. But Saola, I think I like you, a lot. You’re really an intelligent person. You aren’t afraid to say what’s on your mind, to disagree with those who may have power. In fact, if anything you would love to tear down those selfish people who believe they’re safe. And because of that you might just change our city, I’m sure of it.”

Hoshizora “Clouds” Kumo
[Friend]
“I can’t quite place my finger on it. If I see myself in you, or if you remind me of someone I knew a long time ago. Regardless, I want only happiness for you. It seems as though it has been a long time. You’re more brilliant than you give yourself credit for, and you could do so much, if only you’d give yourself the chance. You don’t need to hide behind a mask.”

Primrose T. Guerra
[Friend]
"What a genuine smile you wear, it's contagious in all the best possible ways. Never lose the ability to bring life into a room, it is a gift the gods no doubt bestowed upon you. You will be a guiding light in changing the absence of human kindness within Karakura."

Ezio Calderona Deluca
[Friend]
"Although you often irritated me with your bold and unorthodox actions, I've come to cherish the excitement you bring to the table. When it truly counts you show up, below the surface your heart is bursting with care.

Celeste O'Sullivan
[Friend]
"You and I are similar spirits. Driven past a point, ran through the dirt of life. And yet we survive regardless of our circumstances. Your resilience is unparalleled, and though you may fall from time to time, it is your way to continue. That is the most noble pursuit in life."

Asami Hasegawa
[Friend]
"We are strangers. We have only met a handful of times, and yet I dare say I consider you a genuine friend. Whether you brought me out of the state for the sake of yourself or another, it makes no difference to me. You sacrificed your time and attention, something that cannot be awarded back."

Declan Byrne
[Friend]
"I'm a bit fond of you, mostly due to our undeniable and agreed disgust for a certain zen garden dweller. However, beside that, you are quite a sensible sort of person, and in a place such as Karakura, there are not enough of those to go around. Do not change, and tread lightly, a voice has more impact than most realize."

Michiko O'Sullivan
[Friend]
"I want you to know the extent of my love for you. I want to protect you from what I faced long ago. Dear child, enjoy what it is to be young, but don't lose sight of the cliffs up ahead."

Karlotta Y. Higasa
[Friend]
"You're one brave kid. I appreciate you in a lot of ways. I can't wait to see where you go in the future and the impact you make in our city. Keep that unbreakable resolve, and be proud of all you've done."

Partners
The following are those considered previous and current partners of Kurēn.

. . .

Hantā Otoko
[Ex-Husband]
“I have never been married. Don’t speak of this to anyone.”

Tatsuo Moriyama
[Highschool Sweetheart]
“You were a good first experience. I hope you’ve found happiness and finally have the family you always wanted.”

Other Relations
The following are for those who do not fit the previous categories.

. . .

Kenpachi Ego
[Adversary]
“At first, I wasn’t sure if it was curiosity or a desire to put you in your place, that forced me to pursue you. It was probably a bit of both, and I cannot say I found the satisfaction I desired. You stand for everything I am against, I can listen to your beliefs, but I cannot ever understand them. Because a lack of equality creates division, and you believe yourself to be far greater than any other. Still a part of me hopes one day you’ll abandon such thinking, until then, I cannot consider you anything but an adversary to my goals.”

Kurēn Kaeda 鶴 - 富永 [The Crane's Parity] (2) (1).png

The Voice of the Scarlet Crane

OOC Note
- All spoiler text is dialogue that is being spoken, but appears to be distant due to the character's thoughts overshadowing what's actively occurring. It should also be noted that this text switches between first and third person often, a break in the writing with a line is an indication of this happening.

“And do you, Rina Kaeda, take Hantā Otoko to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

As I stood under the altar, I found my eyes briefly faltering. In the corner of my vision, my father held a delighted expression, it was the happiest I had seen him in a very long time. Bitter tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, threatening to fall as the face of my soon to be husband encompassed my sight. The only thought I could manage to keep was of how contradictory this day was, in comparison to what I had envisioned when I was younger. The traditions I had longed to preserve both on my wedding day and throughout a marriage were ripped downward, quite similarly to how westernization had swept our beloved Japan decades ago. The sake bowls were traded for a bible, the Shinkan for a catholic priest, and most determinantal of all, a stained glass cathedral instead of the open air of the monastery I had grown up devoted to. The highest betrayal of the kami, and for whom? My own flesh and blood.

“Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health. And remain faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

The words of the priest began to blur, as I lost focus on the moment at hand. The wedding dress adorning my figure felt like a cheap costume. As though I’d simply been made to wear it to please both families attending the ceremony, as we were secured in holy matrimony. I could hear the fake sniffles and sobs, as they echoed from floor to high ceiling. Everything about this moment felt superficial, a farce, not bound in love but in monetary gain. Where did it all go wrong?

“I do.”

The words were so well rehearsed, I even tricked myself into believing this was the love of my life. A man with a decade and a half more under his belt than I. Who’s first wife had come and gone like a fading flower, briefly beautiful, dearly missed. Though clearly not dearly enough, to miss the opportunity to pluck another. And yet, I agreed. Though legal bindings no longer kept me tethered to family disappointment, the reminder of blood above all else was a snake coiling around the thin neck of a bird.

“It is my honor and delight to declare you husband and wife, you may now kiss the bride.”

As Hantā stepped closer, his arms gracing my waist and pulling me towards him, I was dragged away from the hope of this simply being a dream I was meant to wake up from. He leaned in, we kissed, the echo of applause briefly whistled past my ears, though the noise was drowned out by the sorrowful cries of my ancestors, as I betrayed their legacy, the honor they had left for me to hold. Blood above all else, but what of the blood of those long gone? Were their sacrifices in vain? Our lips parted, and I turned to face the crowd, the tears had fallen, but to every eye, they went unacknowledged. Down the pews, we paraded, as husband and wife.

That was my wedding day.

On July 12th, 1990, Rina Kaeda was born in a small hospital located on the outer edge of Kyoto, Japan. Although originally her father, Asada Kaeda, was displeased his firstborn was not a son, a strong urgency to provide for his family outweighed this flaw. On the other hand, Sen Kaeda, Rina’s mother, fell into the traditional caregiver role, taking on the responsibility of raising the newborn. These typical family roles were largely assigned due to Asada being such a successful breadwinner.

His large pharmaceutical company, named the KPI (Kaeda Pharmaceutical Industries), had made a large name for itself within Kyoto where the practice was first established. Customers began to flock to buy their easily accessible treatments, which highly respected doctors and practitioners praised. These business opportunities garnered investors and business partners from all over the continent, and strong relations began to form through the KPI’s pursuits.

Often the Kaeda family would travel alongside Asada while he worked, so they could indulge in vacationing outside of Japan. This frequent travel exposed Rina to a diverse array of people and cultures. Learning about the history of these foreign places intrigued her. Many of the countries they visited were not as financially stable, many poorer regions struggled with crime and disease. Even as a young child Rina felt drawn to these places, and with each learning opportunity her mother would educate her. Sen was hardly rich by any means growing up, and although becoming very fortunate in marrying her husband, she desired for her daughter to have a strong belief in tradition and remain respectful.

As the family’s travels slowly became few and far between, Asada became overrun with work. His hunger to expand drove him further past a moral line. As her father strayed further from good deeds, Rina turned towards tradition following her mother’s guidance. Often partaking in extremely traditional events, visiting the monastery to indulge in prayer, and studying Shinto texts. These lessons alongside the Kaeda family history, formed a solid set of beliefs for her. When Rina reached the age of eleven, Sen imparted a sacred treasure to the child, one she would never realize would have such a profound effect on her daughter.

I recall the moment as though it were yesterday. Despite not knowing the great implications of beholding such an item at the time. My mother and I had been staying in our vacation home within Kyoto. It was a Minka, arranged within a small woods, accompanied by a wild stream. My mother had finished brewing a kettle of tea and had poured a cup for me, as we indulged in the spring air of her vegetable garden. Being the ever-curious child I was, yet raised with a level of unbreakable respect, I gawked but said nothing as she drew up a wooden box, placing it in front of me. As she fiddled with the lid for a time, she spoke softly, yet with a stern and serious undertone. From the wooden casing, she lifted an old wooden mask of surprisingly good condition. It depicted a red-crowned crane, lined fruitfully with black and white feathers.

“Rina, what I’m about to tell you is very important. I believe you are of an age now you will understand.”

I nodded my head, sitting cross-legged directly in front of her. She took a deep breath, as though this was something she had been waiting to unveil for a long time. In all honesty, I cannot remember the exact words, though I will not forget the story she told me. The mask had been passed down through the family for several generations, since the beginning of the second world war. Each time the story was retold, the mask was passed on.

This tale above all else exemplified the importance of equality. One could not see another as less than to preserve peace, and this truth was easiest to understand when many different people were plagued by the same painful experience. Hence the importance of the war, a host allowing the idea to spread, specifically within Karakura.

“Your great grandfather, who lost his beloved daughter Saisei because of the war, showed vulnerability towards everyone, no matter their status. People were drawn to his genuineness, he truly believed mourning together was what the city needed. Even though the world was divided, he desired for Karakura to be unified.”

At first, I didn’t understand how a mask could be related to any of what she spoke about. It seemed as though she had completely derailed from the story she was meant to be relaying. My mother went on to speak about a memorial dedicated to Saisei, and the many people who had died. During the memorial, all those in attendance folded a total of a thousand paper cranes. They were laid out across the surface of a pool, floating about irregularly. It was at this time many began to pray, it was the first time in a long time so many had come together.

As though the gods themselves had intervened, and as if on cue, a messenger came down from the heavens. A great bird descended from the sky, its voice so loud the entire city could hear its heavenly sound. It landed on the pool, as a vast wind pushed past those in attendance, forcing the paper cranes to form rings around the crane.

“When your great-grandfather looked into the bird’s eyes, he knew it was his daughter. The gods sent her as a messenger of peace, a reminder that all would be well.”

As far as our family was concerned, their beliefs were further cemented by the fact the bird watched over our family until its passing. After which they crafted a wooden mask, and imbued it with the crane’s feathers. Many of the monastery workers claimed there was a high probability the feathers would offer protection from evil spirits. As she finished the story, she lifted the mask, placing it over my face.

“In taking on ownership of this mask, you are under the protection of our kami. But you must understand Rina, the responsibilities you will carry are great.”

My responsibilities. In hindsight, a child of that age could not possibly take it seriously, and though I grew up quite fast, it was not the right time to bestow that heavy weight upon my shoulders. In doing so, I was meant to be a living example of what the mask represented. A diplomat of unity, a closer of division, a person who spread equality. Impossible feats in such a world as ours. As I grew older, the idea seemed far-fetched and I ignored it entirely.

That was until I had nothing left.

When Rina reached the age of twelve, Asada’s deepest desire came to fruition. Sen birthed him two sons, twin brothers Masaki and Syuuji. This overwhelming responsibility could not be handled by their mother alone, and a decision was quickly reached to move closer to the family business in Kyoto. Much to the dismay of Rina, who’s entire life revolved around the tight knit community of Karakura. It would take many years for Rina to recover from being uprooted from her sense of home. Each visit to the island ended in bittersweet tears and heartache.

As the seasons changed, Rina stepped into a new spring. The four years apart from the home she grew up in were difficult, a part of her died in some ways. Though in the fifth year, she found a place amongst firm voices and advocacy. As her childhood slowly came to an end, the final two years before her graduation strengthened who she desired to be. Rina joined the debate team, quickly finding a passion to express her views. She was impressively convincing, her evidence was founded, and her desire for change was evident. She was awarded the title of vice-captain, and then captain the following year. The team was strongly bonded together through Rina’s leadership. During this time she even met her high school sweetheart, though after graduating they parted ways. It was a time of excitement, of finalizing herself and finding stability.

When it came time to decide on a career path, Rina knew there was only one option. Although her father wanted her to take over the family business, Rina knew her skills could be used elsewhere, not to make the rich richer, but to save those who needed aid the most. She moved away from her family shortly after, attending a prestigious law school, with the financial support of her father. Though he held a strong disappointment for her declining his offer, becoming a lawyer would make for a successful career, one of which he endorsed. Rina would use her voice to do good in the world, to save the innocent from painstaking wrongs and false convictions.

But even with such ambition, it was not destined to last. Perhaps Rina had noticed early on the change in her father as she aged. Perhaps it should have been apparent to consumers, perhaps a doctor should have come clean. In 2013, the KPI filed for bankruptcy. The fruitful and trustworthy company’s devilish acts came to light. In one fell swoop, rumors spread like wildfire of the dangerous products lining shelves, of the hundreds of doctors who were paid to endorse the products. The blatant ignorance of which caused several deaths, and many injuries.

Rina watched as her father was sued for everything he had, the family slowly crumbling. Their image was ruined, and yet another wealthy tyrant had fallen. Rina understood the severity, her heart ached for the state it left her family in. As Asada attempted to pick up the pieces of his broken reputation, it was clear it was beyond repair. The perfect time to strike.

Asada was approached several months after the incident. The Otoko family, who were wealthy investors of the KPI before its downfall, offered Asada the proposal of a lifetime. Otoko would graciously handle the financial burdens Kaeda was facing. Afterall the two families had a deep history together, they wanted to cement that union further. But in order for them to lend a helping hand, a lawful marriage was required to occur between the firstborns of both families. Otoko, although gripped by western influence, still contained a traditional mindset when dealing with business ventures, therefore this proposal was very in character.

At once, it felt as though the eyes of hundreds of hungry wolves descended upon Rina. The family pressure built as she recalled whom she was indebted to. They had raised her as a devoted daughter, someone who desired to please those around her, it was her duty to serve the family. Her father pleaded, lectured, and wormed his way into her head. This was what was best for herself and the family. Without her accepting this marriage, they would never live happily again, her brothers wouldn’t find successful careers, and her parents would be made to live on the streets. The pressure finally boiled over when her mother became very sickly. Rina could no longer turn from the responsibility. She had the power to repay her family for raising her, if only she’d settle down to marry.

“Your mother is dying, Rina. We have nothing left. You know this entire time I was just trying to provide for our family!”

My father was desperately pacing the waiting room floor, I swore if given the opportunity, he would have worn the tiles clean through, till they were nothing more than broken chips. His hands were folded behind his back, as though he had never lost his serious, professional walk. I keeled over in a chair, my head in the palm of my hand. Was this really the only option?

“The Otoko family has been very generous with their offer. They’ve allowed us the time to consider and debate, but it's been four months. They’re a good family, we cannot keep them waiting. Rina we’d be set comfortably for life.”

He was right. I could not shake that idea. I spoke of justice, of saving those who could not save themselves. Yet for my own family it would be different? But, to marry out of anything but love? It directly contradicted my beliefs. How could I betray the freedom I had been given by so many people before me? It was unfathomable. My father finally stopped pacing, kneeling down in front of me, taking my hands in his.

“Please Rina. I’m begging you. Do this for our family. We need you.”

How could I look that man in the eyes again if I refused? How could I live with myself knowing my mother would die by my own selfish choice? His body shook horribly, I saw him openly weep. The desperation was crushing my chest, I couldn’t breath.

“Okay.”

We married just five weeks after that. It wasn’t an especially large wedding. The guests were minimal, the wedding dress was form fitting and quite immodest, it all felt like a show. Hantā, my husband, seemed at first an alright man. He was far more experienced, in terms of years lived and marriage as a whole. I followed his instructions blindly, though never could I have imagined I was playing into the palm of his hand.

Hantā Otoko was a nicely put together gentlemen at first glance. He was a shining representation of the Otoko family, one who would inherit the business of his father and subsequently become a greater man than him. Yet behind closed doors, a desire for control became overwhelmingly apparent. It was suffocating to those around him, his parents had never humbled him. Throughout his life they had sugar coated his bad habits and had reinforced his every whim. Perhaps even the manipulative and cunning mannerisms were learned from “what a successful man should be.” Regardless the following two years succeeding his marriage became a living hell for Rina.

In becoming a wife, Rina quickly realized one could have no dreams. You were forced to diligently attend to one’s home, and the needs of your partner. Although she had received a degree, although she was twenty-four when they were married, it seemed insurmountable to speak her mind. At first it began with small arguments, and tantrums from her husband, who could not believe she desired to have her own career. Were his efforts not enough for her? He had already done so much for her family, why couldn’t she accept it, why couldn’t she be happy? Rina was slowly stripped of the voice she had come to cherish. The pressure to keep her family comfortably living, and please her husband, kept her suppressed. Even prayer she found no longer gave her hope there was a future free of this weight. A housewife it was, instead of a lawyer for the weak.

It felt as though she were betraying herself and the many who had come before her. She was forced to leave behind her traditions in pursuit of a more modern way of living. What the Otoko’s considered the truth. Westernization was the future, which would allow Japan to prosper. All of this was for the better, she often assured herself. She had chosen this path, it was her duty to continue it.

When the excitement of the new marriage settled, Hantā’s true colors seeped through, like a barely visible wound gradually opening. He often remarked when walking the streets of the poor and watching the news, that those of lesser standing were nothing but lazy slobs. Those who placed themselves in such a position were lesser than those such as himself. He had even gone as far as to spit at an older gentleman who had asked him for some yen in the street. During this leak of character, Rina had lost her voice to disagree. She often mirrored his desires to avoid such arguments and preserve their marriage for fear of such repercussions harming her family.

When she attempted to speak out against him, he would shut her down quickly. Often using excuses such as how he had “saved her” and how the least she could do was be open to “his view.” Though there were times she simply could not keep to herself, when he disrespected people in public, when he became excessively violent. On several occasions his anger became so unmanageable Hantā struck Rina physically. He would often apologize and attempt to redeem himself through purchasing her expensive gifts. He bought her silence, but not because she was swayed by the material items, but by her fear of what her husband might do next.

He became the very man she had originally desired to rid the world of. His selfishness knew no bounds and there came a breaking point where she was willing to throw it all away to rid herself of the disgusting person she had allowed herself to become. She could not look in the mirror, at the docile, reserved women who stood there like an empty husk. She felt sick. Allowing herself to be shaped as she had. The bruises and scars could be covered with makeup, her tear filled eyes could be shielded by sunglasses, and a smile could easily be forced. Yet in the end the unhappiness, the fear, the anguish, all of it was undeniably real. No more.

From the beginning, our marriage was an unhappy one. We were nothing alike. I suppose I should have known my limits. But I was so desperate to make it work I betrayed everything I wanted to match him perfectly. I bent to his will, avoiding each conflict with compromise. I gave my entire self up, but there was one thing he could not have control over. That was what pushed him over the edge.

I was looking through old belongings I had stored in the attic of our home. When I discovered it. Kaeda’s Blessing. The mask was safely wrapped and secured in a small wooden chest. No doubt the handy work of my mother. Though I find it somewhat important to mention, that she had passed on from the illness that had made me so desperate to marry in the first place. Something about seeing this mask rekindled the voice I had been resigned to suppressing. The traditions and the beliefs my mother had instilled clung desperately to me. My faith was the only thing I would never compromise on. I brushed my hand through the feathers, remembering the moment she had given it to me so vividly.

“RINA!”

I lifted the mask up, placing it over my face to relive the moment further. It felt as though I were carefree once again. The same as that small child who raced koi along the stream, blissfully unaware. The child who picked wildflowers without a care, for they would always regrow the following spring. The little kid who danced with no regard for what others thought.

“RINA! COME HERE DAMN IT!”

I took a deep breath, as a soft breeze coming through the attic window meandered past me. The sun cast a soft shadow across the slanted roof as it set. I looked through the slits of the mask, softly pressing the wood against my skin.

“WHERE ARE YOU?”

I closed my eyes, feeling an overwhelming peace. Then suddenly I was falling. As I felt the harsh press of nails dig into each of my shoulders, yanking my upright and backwards. I lost my balance, the mask falling to the floor with a horrid thump. I glanced upward to see Hantā holding me in place as he looked down at me with an angry scowl. His teeth bared, seething.

“Why didn’t you answer me?”

His voice was stern, waiting for the opportunity to be set off like a radial firecracker. His nails continued to dig into my skin, as red streaked down my shoulders. My eyes widened, as a look of pain crossed my face.

“You’re hurting me…”

His grip seemed to tighten. My eyes fell once again on the mask, it laid face down, a small crack had appeared in the inner part of it, though the front view was left untouched. I pulled away from him with as much strength as I could muster, practically shoving him off as I recovered the mask.

“It's… broken. YOU BROKE IT.”

I gritted my teeth, turning to face him. Before I was able to say anything more, his hand grasped my wrist, it pulsed under the surmounting pressure. He jerked my hand upward, forcing me to drop the mask once more. I scrambled to look downward at it. Thankfully it was undamaged the second time.

“LET GO OF ME!”

I brought my free hand upward, striking him across the face with my open palm. A red mark quickly painted his skin as he pulled away. I began to sob heavily, picking up the mask once more holding it close to my chest.

“We’re done.”

His eyes widened as the words slipped from my lips. He staggered back in disbelief.

When served with the divorce papers, Hantā Otoko, attempted to barricade Rina Kaeda within their home to prevent her from leaving. She subsequently called the police, and he was arrested under several charges of assault and unlawful holding of a person. Acting as her own lawyer, Rina faced two trials against the Otoko family, one for a disputed divorce, and the other relating to the charges her husband was arrested for. The court ruled in her favor for both cases. Hantā Otoko was sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison, and another two on parole.

The Otoko and Kaeda family broke contact with Rina soon after the settlement. She had single-handedly ruined Otoko’s reputation to a capacity, and her father, who was entirely reliant on Otoko, sided in their favor. She had become a disgrace. Eventually, she was driven out of Kyoto by threats of violence against her. Otoko in retaliation for her actions of suing Hantā, had begun spreading rumors.

The elaborate story spoke of how she had only married into the family to gain fortune after her own corrupt family was in ruin. When she could not obtain what she desired from the marriage, she used underhanded tactics to frame the Otoko heir and use it as leverage to gain inheritance. The leader of the Otoko family had seen right through her scheme and had fought with everything he had to protect his innocent son, but the cruel witch had robbed him of his freedom.

In retaliation to these threats, Rina opted to leave Otoko’s jurisdiction. To begin anew, she legally changed her name, returning to the only place she truly considered home, Karakura. She would become whom her mother believed from the start she had the capacity to be. An advocate for the weak, a peace bringer. To fully embody these ideals, she would become a “Kurēn,” a crane. Kurēn would be what her ex-husband despised the most, an equalizer, who put the self-centered in their place and aided the less-self assured to see their full potential. It was ambitious, to say the least, but after living a life that wasn’t her own, she wanted to know how it felt for everything to truly be of her own design.

When she turned twenty-eight she adorned her back with a large crane tattoo, surrounded by spider lilies. The lilies were to remind herself of the impermanence of life, to live how she desired, because it was so very short. While the crane became a reminder of her ultimate goal, her familial story, and a resounding hope for a better tomorrow.

Slowly, as the years wore on, her fear of being found diminished. She allowed herself to truly embrace the meaning of the mask she wore, and more importantly, have the freedom to decide her own fate. The ideals she dedicated herself to were also a way for her to atone, for the disgrace of leaving her family behind in Kyoto. Even more so for the ancestors she had forsaken by allowing herself to forget her Shintoist ways, and marry with western customs. It would be a difficult path, yet one far more fulfilling than what she had forced herself to partake in with the Otoko family.

Kurēn grasped onto the traditions long since forgotten by the modern eye. She became enthralled by the history left to collect dust, every page that lined the shelf was waiting to be acknowledged. This became her new way of life. To publish the forgotten, study the misunderstood, to teach the blind. Finally, this life felt like her own. She would never again allow any human being to feel their desires were unimportant in comparison to other ambitions for them. Everyone was equal, and history would not repeat itself once more, with yet another war sewing seeds of division for the human race.

As I stared outward, from the monastery bridge, I wondered if she would have been proud. Not only my beloved mother, but Saisei Kaeda, the child whose memory had brought so many together. The one who had died, whom the gods had returned as a symbol of hope. The sun was just barely visible, the sky had an unmistakable purple hue that softly faded to black. My Fingers gently gracing the wooden frame of the mask, the tips running along the edge of the crack. A deep breath encircled my lungs, and with parted lips, remaining agape for a long moment before I muttered under my breath.

“Allow my voice to reach them.”

A sudden fierce wind pushed past my back, forcing my hair to sprawl outward. The breeze whistled past my ears gently like rain falling upon the surface of a pool, and I swore, as the last bit of light seeped from the sky, I heard the most beautiful voice wash past me, a bird singing.

Author's Note
Thank you for reading this biography! I'm especially proud of the backstory for this character, as well as the unique lore connections! Large thanks to Canva for providing a free program that allows for a creative space to create all my biographies.

Last edited:

Shmotato

Level 4
View attachment 67531
View attachment 67532
[!] A voice recording of Kurēn Kaeda [!]
View attachment 67533
View attachment 67544
[!] An old book with worn pages. Click to open the book [!]
View attachment 67534
View attachment 67535
View attachment 67541View attachment 67536
RELATIONS

OOC NOTE
- This section is subject to change and will be regularly updated. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Immediate Family
The following are Kurēn’s closest relatives, consisting of her parents and siblings.

. . .

Asada Kaeda
[Father]
"Take her name out of your mouth. She sacrificed so much so that you could live. But in the end you abandoned her. I hope it was worth it. Now Rina is dead, and I will never be able to recover my image of you, father. You wanted so much for our family, but never stopped to ask if we were happy as we were.”

Sana Kaeda
[Mother]
“You are the only person I have never regretted giving up my happiness for. You taught me what mattered most, and in the end your teachings are what freed me. If going through it all would bring you back, I would have made that sacrifice a thousand times over. But I know that was the last thing you would have wanted. I hope I made you proud.”

Masaki Kaeda
[Younger Brother]
“You were always so outgoing, I wanted to see you succeed and grow to become something great. Though it has been years, I cannot help but hope you’ve done just that. Thank you for always supporting me, little brother, I miss you.”

Syuuji Kaeda
[Younger Brother]
“You always felt overshadowed in comparison to Masaki. But you never allowed that to stop you from loving him. I admired that in you Syuu. And when I hear of others never having the displeasure of suffering as I did, I recall your grace, and smile softly.”

Kaeda Relations
The following are for those who bear the Kaeda surname, but are not among Kurēn's immediate family.

. . .

Hanae Kaeda
[Cousin]
“You embodied our family more than I ever could have. You have done more for our family than I thought was possible. I fear what they will think of me, but I am grateful you did not turn a blind eye. Continue to gather prestigious and restore Kaeda’s honor back to its former glory.”

Friendships
The following are for those who are considered close non-related friends of Kurēn.

. . .

Choko Aikawa
[Friend]
“You will always be a reminder to me of the importance of a genuine friendship. You are a pillar for patience which has guided me out of deep ravines. Cho, when I look at you, I feel as though I’m staring at another part of myself, one I desire to put from the sea. I will not let you drown, I promise. Do not apologize for simply wanting to be heard. Your voice could move mountains if only you’d let it.”

Juuzou Samura
[Friend]
“Frankly, I believe you’re a good person. In Karakura, it's hard to define what that means. But I think, deep down, you’re trying. Trying to keep those you care for safe, living the life you want to live, enjoying the small things. I appreciate the simplicity, sometimes a good life is as simple as having a snack.”

Kazuya Elyon-O'Sullivan
[Friend]
“Your willingness to step up, even when others have let you down, is a gift. One that doesn’t come around very often. In case you haven’t heard it before, I care about you greatly. I hope everyone you come into contact with, shares how you’ve changed them for the better. You deserve to be recognized. Don’t let the ignorance of another ruin the beauty of your kindness.”

Yamashi Kosuki
[Friend]
“If only you could see when you’re surrounded, the beauty of you continuing to live. You’re loved so greatly, yet you continue to see yourself for who you used to be, instead of who you’ve become. It's terrifying to move on, especially when you don’t know where you're going, yet I have a feeling you’ll be fine. I think you’re one of the strongest people I’ve come to know. I appreciate your willingness to stand up for what you believe in, to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. If I could have one wish for you, it would be for you to get a better mirror, because the one you keep looking in is broken.”

Saola Everest
[Friend]
“When I first met you, I was a bit off put. Your reckless driving habits and unconventional actions were certainly concerning. But Saola, I think I like you, a lot. You’re really an intelligent person. You aren’t afraid to say what’s on your mind, to disagree with those who may have power. In fact, if anything you would love to tear down those selfish people who believe they’re safe. And because of that you might just change our city, I’m sure of it.”

Hoshizora “Clouds” Kumo
[Friend]
“I can’t quite place my finger on it. If I see myself in you, or if you remind me of someone I knew a long time ago. Regardless, I want only happiness for you. It seems as though it has been a long time. You’re more brilliant than you give yourself credit for, and you could do so much, if only you’d give yourself the chance. You don’t need to hide behind a mask.”

Partners
The following are those considered previous and current partners of Kurēn.

. . .

Hantā Otoko
[Ex-Husband]
“I have never been married. Don’t speak of this to anyone.”

Tatsuo Moriyama
[Highschool Sweetheart]
“You were a good first experience. I hope you’ve found happiness and finally have the family you always wanted.”

Other Relations
The following are for those who do not fit the previous categories.

. . .

Kenpachi Ego
[Adversary]
“At first, I wasn’t sure if it was curiosity or a desire to put you in your place, that forced me to pursue you. It was probably a bit of both, and I cannot say I found the satisfaction I desired. You stand for everything I am against, I can listen to your beliefs, but I cannot ever understand them. Because a lack of equality creates division, and you believe yourself to be far greater than any other. Still a part of me hopes one day you’ll abandon such thinking, until then, I cannot consider you anything but an adversary to my goals.”

View attachment 67540

The Voice of the Scarlet Crane

OOC Note
- All spoiler text is dialogue that is being spoken, but appears to be distant due to the character's thoughts overshadowing what's actively occurring. It should also be noted that this text switches between first and third person often, a break in the writing with a line is an indication of this happening.

“And do you, Rina Kaeda, take Hantā Otoko to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

As I stood under the altar, I found my eyes briefly faltering. In the corner of my vision, my father held a delighted expression, it was the happiest I had seen him in a very long time. Bitter tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, threatening to fall as the face of my soon to be husband encompassed my sight. The only thought I could manage to keep was of how contradictory this day was, in comparison to what I had envisioned when I was younger. The traditions I had longed to preserve both on my wedding day and throughout a marriage were ripped downward, quite similarly to how westernization had swept our beloved Japan decades ago. The sake bowls were traded for a bible, the Shinkan for a catholic priest, and most determinantal of all, a stained glass cathedral instead of the open air of the monastery I had grown up devoted to. The highest betrayal of the kami, and for whom? My own flesh and blood.

“Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health. And remain faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

The words of the priest began to blur, as I lost focus on the moment at hand. The wedding dress adorning my figure felt like a cheap costume. As though I’d simply been made to wear it to please both families attending the ceremony, as we were secured in holy matrimony. I could hear the fake sniffles and sobs, as they echoed from floor to high ceiling. Everything about this moment felt superficial, a farce, not bound in love but in monetary gain. Where did it all go wrong?

“I do.”

The words were so well rehearsed, I even tricked myself into believing this was the love of my life. A man with a decade and a half more under his belt than I. Who’s first wife had come and gone like a fading flower, briefly beautiful, dearly missed. Though clearly not dearly enough, to miss the opportunity to pluck another. And yet, I agreed. Though legal bindings no longer kept me tethered to family disappointment, the reminder of blood above all else was a snake coiling around the thin neck of a bird.

“It is my honor and delight to declare you husband and wife, you may now kiss the bride.”

As Hantā stepped closer, his arms gracing my waist and pulling me towards him, I was dragged away from the hope of this simply being a dream I was meant to wake up from. He leaned in, we kissed, the echo of applause briefly whistled past my ears, though the noise was drowned out by the sorrowful cries of my ancestors, as I betrayed their legacy, the honor they had left for me to hold. Blood above all else, but what of the blood of those long gone? Were their sacrifices in vain? Our lips parted, and I turned to face the crowd, the tears had fallen, but to every eye, they went unacknowledged. Down the pews, we paraded, as husband and wife.

That was my wedding day.

On July 12th, 1990, Rina Kaeda was born in a small hospital located on the outer edge of Kyoto, Japan. Although originally her father, Asada Kaeda, was displeased his firstborn was not a son, a strong urgency to provide for his family outweighed this flaw. On the other hand, Sen Kaeda, Rina’s mother, fell into the traditional caregiver role, taking on the responsibility of raising the newborn. These typical family roles were largely assigned due to Asada being such a successful breadwinner.

His large pharmaceutical company, named the KPI (Kaeda Pharmaceutical Industries), had made a large name for itself within Kyoto where the practice was first established. Customers began to flock to buy their easily accessible treatments, which highly respected doctors and practitioners praised. These business opportunities garnered investors and business partners from all over the continent, and strong relations began to form through the KPI’s pursuits.

Often the Kaeda family would travel alongside Asada while he worked, so they could indulge in vacationing outside of Japan. This frequent travel exposed Rina to a diverse array of people and cultures. Learning about the history of these foreign places intrigued her. Many of the countries they visited were not as financially stable, many poorer regions struggled with crime and disease. Even as a young child Rina felt drawn to these places, and with each learning opportunity her mother would educate her. Sen was hardly rich by any means growing up, and although becoming very fortunate in marrying her husband, she desired for her daughter to have a strong belief in tradition and remain respectful.

The family’s travelers slowly became few and far between as Asada became overrun with work. His hunger to expand drove him further past a moral line. As her father strayed further from good deeds, Rina turned towards tradition following her mother’s guidance. Often partaking in extremely traditional events, visiting the monastery to indulge in prayer, and studying Shinto texts. These lessons alongside the Kaeda family history, formed a solid set of beliefs for her. When Rina reached the age of eleven, Sen imparted a sacred treasure to the child, one she would never realize would have such a profound effect on her daughter.

I recall the moment as though it were yesterday. Despite not knowing the great implications of beholding such an item at the time. My mother and I had been staying in our vacation home within Kyoto. It was a Minka, arranged within a small woods, accompanied by a wild stream. My mother had finished brewing a kettle of tea and had poured a cup for me, as we indulged in the spring air of her vegetable garden. Being the ever curious child I was, yet raised with a level of unbreakable respect, I gawked but said nothing as she drew up a wooden box, placing it in front of me. As she fiddled with the lid for a time, she spoke softly, yet with a stern and serious undertone. From the wooden casing, she lifted an old wooden mask of surprisingly good condition. It depicted a red-crowned crane, lined fruitfully with black and white feathers.

“Rina, what I’m about to tell you is very important. I believe you are of an age now you will understand.”

I nodded my head, sitting cross-legged directly in front of her. She took a deep breath, as though this was something she had been waiting to unveil for a long time. In all honesty I cannot remember the exact words, though I will not forget the story she told me. The mask had been passed down through the family for several generations, since the beginning of the second world war. Each time the story was retold, the mask was passed on.

This tale above all else exemplified the importance of equality. One could not see another as less than themselves in order to preserve peace, and this truth was easiest to understand when many different people were plagued by the same painful experience. Hence the importance of the war, a host allowing the idea to spread, specifically within Karakura.

“Your great grandfather, who lost his beloved daughter Saisei because of the war, showed vulnerability towards everyone, no matter their status. People were drawn to his genuineness, he truly believed mourning together was what the city needed. Even though the world was divided, he desired for Karakura to be unified.”

At first, I didn’t understand how a mask could be related to any of what she spoke about. It seemed as though she had completely derailed from the story she was meant to be relaying. My mother went on to speak about a memorial dedicated to Saisei, and the many people who had died. During the memorial, all those in attendance folded a total of a thousand paper cranes. They were laid out across the surface of a pool, floating about irregularly. It was at this time many began to pray, it was the first time in a long time so many had come together.

As though the gods themselves had intervened, and as if on cue, a messenger came down from the heavens. A great bird descended from the sky, its voice so loud the entire city could hear its heavenly sound. It landed on the pool, as a great wind pushed past those in attendance, forcing the paper cranes to form rings around the crane.

“When your great grandfather looked into the bird’s eyes, he knew it was his daughter. The gods sent her as a messenger of peace, a reminder that all would be well.”

As far as our family was concerned, their beliefs were further cemented by the fact the bird watched over our family until its passing. After which they crafted a wooden mask, and imbued it with the crane’s feathers. Many of the monastery workers claimed there was a high probability the feathers would offer protection from evil spirits. As she finished the story, she lifted the mask, placing it over my face.

“In taking on ownership of this mask, you are under the protection of our kami. But you must understand Rina, the responsibilities you will carry are great.”

My responsibilities. In hindsight, a child of that age could not possibly take it seriously, and though I grew up quite fast, it was not the right time to bestow that heavy weight upon my shoulders. In doing so, I was meant to be a living example of what the mask represented. A diplomat of unity, a closer of division, a person who spread equality. Impossible feats in such a world as ours. As I grew older, the idea seemed far-fetched and I ignored it entirely.

That was until I had nothing left.

When Rina reached the age of twelve, Asada’s deepest desire came to fruition. Sen birthed him two sons, twin brothers Masaki and Syuuji. This overwhelming responsibility could not be handled by their mother alone, and a decision was quickly reached to move closer to the family business in Kyoto. Much to the dismay of Rina, who’s entire life revolved around the tight knit community of Karakura. It would take many years for Rina to recover from being uprooted from her sense of home. Each visit to the island ended in bittersweet tears and heartache.

As the seasons changed, Rina stepped into a new spring. The four years apart from the home she grew up in were difficult, a part of her died in some ways. Though in the fifth year, she found a place amongst firm voices and advocacy. As her childhood slowly came to an end, the final two years before her graduation strengthened who she desired to be. Rina joined the debate team, quickly finding a passion to express her views. She was impressively convincing, her evidence was founded, and her desire for change was evident. She was awarded the title of vice-captain, and then captain the following year. The team was strongly bonded together through Rina’s leadership. During this time she even met her high school sweetheart, though after graduating they parted ways. It was a time of excitement, of finalizing herself and finding stability.

When it came time to decide on a career path, Rina knew there was only one option. Although her father wanted her to take over the family business, Rina knew her skills could be used elsewhere, not to make the rich richer, but to save those who needed aid the most. She moved away from her family shortly after, attending a prestigious law school, with the financial support of her father. Though he held a strong disappointment for her declining his offer, becoming a lawyer would make for a successful career, one of which he endorsed. Rina would use her voice to do good in the world, to save the innocent from painstaking wrongs and false convictions.

But even with such ambition, it was not destined to last. Perhaps Rina had noticed early on the change in her father as she aged. Perhaps it should have been apparent to consumers, perhaps a doctor should have come clean. In 2013, the KPI filed for bankruptcy. The fruitful and trustworthy company’s devilish acts came to light. In one fell swoop, rumors spread like wildfire of the dangerous products lining shelves, of the hundreds of doctors who were paid to endorse the products. The blatant ignorance of which caused several deaths, and many injuries.

Rina watched as her father was sued for everything he had, the family slowly crumbling. Their image was ruined, and yet another wealthy tyrant had fallen. Rina understood the severity, her heart ached for the state it left her family in. As Asada attempted to pick up the pieces of his broken reputation, it was clear it was beyond repair. The perfect time to strike.

Asada was approached several months after the incident. The Otoko family, who were wealthy investors of the KPI before its downfall, offered Asada the proposal of a lifetime. Otoko would graciously handle the financial burdens Kaeda was facing. Afterall the two families had a deep history together, they wanted to cement that union further. But in order for them to lend a helping hand, a lawful marriage was required to occur between the firstborns of both families. Otoko, although gripped by western influence, still contained a traditional mindset when dealing with business ventures, therefore this proposal was very in character.

At once, it felt as though the eyes of hundreds of hungry wolves descended upon Rina. The family pressure built as she recalled whom she was indebted to. They had raised her as a devoted daughter, someone who desired to please those around her, it was her duty to serve the family. Her father pleaded, lectured, and wormed his way into her head. This was what was best for herself and the family. Without her accepting this marriage, they would never live happily again, her brothers wouldn’t find successful careers, and her parents would be made to live on the streets. The pressure finally boiled over when her mother became very sickly. Rina could no longer turn from the responsibility. She had the power to repay her family for raising her, if only she’d settle down to marry.

“Your mother is dying, Rina. We have nothing left. You know this entire time I was just trying to provide for our family!”

My father was desperately pacing the waiting room floor, I swore if given the opportunity, he would have worn the tiles clean through, till they were nothing more than broken chips. His hands were folded behind his back, as though he had never lost his serious, professional walk. I keeled over in a chair, my head in the palm of my hand. Was this really the only option?

“The Otoko family has been very generous with their offer. They’ve allowed us the time to consider and debate, but it's been four months. They’re a good family, we cannot keep them waiting. Rina we’d be set comfortably for life.”

He was right. I could not shake that idea. I spoke of justice, of saving those who could not save themselves. Yet for my own family it would be different? But, to marry out of anything but love? It directly contradicted my beliefs. How could I betray the freedom I had been given by so many people before me? It was unfathomable. My father finally stopped pacing, kneeling down in front of me, taking my hands in his.

“Please Rina. I’m begging you. Do this for our family. We need you.”

How could I look that man in the eyes again if I refused? How could I live with myself knowing my mother would die by my own selfish choice? His body shook horribly, I saw him openly weep. The desperation was crushing my chest, I couldn’t breath.

“Okay.”

We married just five weeks after that. It wasn’t an especially large wedding. The guests were minimal, the wedding dress was form fitting and quite immodest, it all felt like a show. Hantā, my husband, seemed at first an alright man. He was far more experienced, in terms of years lived and marriage as a whole. I followed his instructions blindly, though never could I have imagined I was playing into the palm of his hand.

Hantā Otoko was a nicely put together gentlemen at first glance. He was a shining representation of the Otoko family, one who would inherit the business of his father and subsequently become a greater man than him. Yet behind closed doors, a desire for control became overwhelmingly apparent. It was suffocating to those around him, his parents had never humbled him. Throughout his life they had sugar coated his bad habits and had reinforced his every whim. Perhaps even the manipulative and cunning mannerisms were learned from “what a successful man should be.” Regardless the following two years succeeding his marriage became a living hell for Rina.

In becoming a wife, Rina quickly realized one could have no dreams. You were forced to diligently attend to one’s home, and the needs of your partner. Although she had received a degree, although she was twenty-four when they were married, it seemed insurmountable to speak her mind. At first it began with small arguments, and tantrums from her husband, who could not believe she desired to have her own career. Were his efforts not enough for her? He had already done so much for her family, why couldn’t she accept it, why couldn’t she be happy? Rina was slowly stripped of the voice she had come to cherish. The pressure to keep her family comfortably living, and please her husband, kept her suppressed. Even prayer she found no longer gave her hope there was a future free of this weight. A housewife it was, instead of a lawyer for the weak.

It felt as though she were betraying herself and the many who had come before her. She was forced to leave behind her traditions in pursuit of a more modern way of living. What the Otoko’s considered the truth. Westernization was the future, which would allow Japan to prosper. All of this was for the better, she often assured herself. She had chosen this path, it was her duty to continue it.

When the excitement of the new marriage settled, Hantā’s true colors seeped through, like a barely visible wound gradually opening. He often remarked when walking the streets of the poor and watching the news, that those of lesser standing were nothing but lazy slobs. Those who placed themselves in such a position were lesser than those such as himself. He had even gone as far as to spit at an older gentleman who had asked him for some yen in the street. During this leak of character, Rina had lost her voice to disagree. She often mirrored his desires to avoid such arguments and preserve their marriage for fear of such repercussions harming her family.

When she attempted to speak out against him, he would shut her down quickly. Often using excuses such as how he had “saved her” and how the least she could do was be open to “his view.” Though there were times she simply could not keep to herself, when he disrespected people in public, when he became excessively violent. On several occasions his anger became so unmanageable Hantā struck Rina physically. He would often apologize and attempt to redeem himself through purchasing her expensive gifts. He bought her silence, but not because she was swayed by the material items, but by her fear of what her husband might do next.

He became the very man she had originally desired to rid the world of. His selfishness knew no bounds and there came a breaking point where she was willing to throw it all away to rid herself of the disgusting person she had allowed herself to become. She could not look in the mirror, at the docile, reserved women who stood there like an empty husk. She felt sick. Allowing herself to be shaped as she had. The bruises and scars could be covered with makeup, her tear filled eyes could be shielded by sunglasses, and a smile could easily be forced. Yet in the end the unhappiness, the fear, the anguish, all of it was undeniably real. No more.

From the beginning, our marriage was an unhappy one. We were nothing alike. I suppose I should have known my limits. But I was so desperate to make it work, I betrayed everything I wanted to match him perfectly. I bent to his will, avoiding each conflict with compromise. I gave my entire self up, but there was one thing he could not have control over. That was what pushed him over the edge.

I was looking through old belongings I had stored in the attic of our home. When I discovered it. Kaeda’s Blessing. The mask was safely wrapped and secured in a small wooden chest. No doubt the handy work of my mother. Though I find it somewhat important to mention, that she had passed on from the illness that had made me so desperate to marry in the first place. Something about seeing this mask rekindled the voice I had been resigned to suppressing. The traditions and the beliefs my mother had instilled clung desperately to me. My faith was the only thing I would never compromise on. I brushed my hand through the feathers, remembering the moment she had given it to me so vividly.

“RINA!”

I lifted the mask up, placing it over my face to relive the moment further. It felt as though I were carefree once again. The same as that small child who raced koi along the stream, blissfully unaware. The child who picked wildflowers without a care, for they would always regrow the following spring. The little kid who danced with no regard for what others thought.

“RINA! COME HERE DAMN IT!”

I took a deep breath, as a soft breeze coming through the attic window meandered past me. The sun cast a soft shadow across the slanted roof as it set. I looked through the slits of the mask, softly pressing the wood against my skin.

“WHERE ARE YOU?”

I closed my eyes, feeling an overwhelming peace. Then suddenly I was falling. As I felt the harsh press of nails dig into each of my shoulders, yanking my upright and backwards. I lost my balance, the mask falling to the floor with a horrid thump. I glanced upward to see Hantā holding me in place as he looked down at me with an angry scowl. His teeth bared, seething.

“Why didn’t you answer me?”

His voice was stern, waiting for the opportunity to be set off like a radial firecracker. His nails continued to dig into my skin, as red streaked down my shoulders. My eyes widened, as a look of pain crossed my face.

“You’re hurting me…”

His grip seemed to tighten. My eyes fell once again on the mask, it laid face down, a small crack had appeared in the inner part of it, though the front view was left untouched. I pulled away from him with as much strength as I could muster, practically shoving him off as I recovered the mask.

“It's… broken. YOU BROKE IT.”

I gritted my teeth, turning to face him. Before I was able to say anything more, his hand grasped my wrist, it pulsed under the surmounting pressure. He jerked my hand upward, forcing me to drop the mask once more. I scrambled to look downward at it. Thankfully it was undamaged the second time.

“LET GO OF ME!”

I brought my free hand upward, striking him across the face with my open palm. A red mark quickly painted his skin as he pulled away. I began to sob heavily, picking up the mask once more holding it close to my chest.

“We’re done.”

His eyes widened as the words slipped from my lips. He staggered back in disbelief.

When served with the divorce papers, Hantā Otoko, attempted to barricade Rina Kaeda within their home to prevent her from leaving. She subsequently called the police, and he was arrested under several charges of assault and unlawful holding of a person. Acting as her own lawyer, Rina faced two trials against the Otoko family, one for a disputed divorce, and the other relating to the charges her husband was arrested for. The court ruled in her favor for both cases. Hantā Otoko was sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison, and another two on parole.

The Otoko and Kaeda family broke contact with Rina soon after the settlement. She had single-handedly ruined Otoko’s reputation to a capacity, and her father, who was entirely reliant on Otoko, sided in their favor. She had become a disgrace. Eventually, she was driven out of Kyoto by threats of violence against her. Otoko in retaliation for her actions of suing Hantā, had begun spreading rumors.

The elaborate story spoke of how she had only married into the family to gain fortune after her own corrupt family was in ruin. When she could not obtain what she desired from the marriage, she used underhanded tactics to frame the Otoko heir and use it as leverage to gain inheritance. The leader of the Otoko family had seen right through her scheme and had fought with everything he had to protect his innocent son, but the cruel witch had robbed him of his freedom.

In retaliation to these threats, Rina opted to leave Otoko’s jurisdiction. To begin anew, she legally changed her name, returning to the only place she truly considered home, Karakura. She would become whom her mother believed from the start she had the capacity to be. An advocate for the weak, a peace bringer. To fully embody these ideals, she would become a “Kurēn,” a crane. Kurēn would be what her ex-husband despised the most, an equalizer, who put the self-centered in their place and aided the less-self assured to see their full potential. It was ambitious, to say the least, but after living a life that wasn’t her own, she wanted to know how it felt for everything to truly be of her own design.

When she turned twenty-eight she adorned her back with a large crane tattoo, surrounded by spider lilies. The lilies were to remind herself of the impermanence of life, to live how she desired, because it was so very short. While the crane became a reminder of her ultimate goal, her familial story, and a resounding hope for a better tomorrow.

Slowly, as the years wore on, her fear of being found diminished. She allowed herself to truly embrace the meaning of the mask she wore, and more importantly, have the freedom to decide her own fate. The ideals she dedicated herself to were also a way for her to atone, for the disgrace of leaving her family behind in Kyoto. Even more so for the ancestors she had forsaken by allowing herself to forget her Shintoist ways, and marry with western customs. It would be a difficult path, yet one far more fulfilling than what she had forced herself to partake in with the Otoko family.

Kurēn grasped onto the traditions long since forgotten by the modern eye. She became enthralled by the history left to collect dust, every page that lined the shelf was waiting to be acknowledged. This became her new way of life. To publish the forgotten, study the misunderstood, to teach the blind. Finally, this life felt like her own. She would never again allow any human being to feel their desires were unimportant in comparison to other ambitions for them. Everyone was equal, and history would not repeat itself once more, with yet another war sewing seeds of division for the human race.

As I stared outward, from the monastery bridge, I wondered if she would have been proud. Not only my beloved mother, but Saisei Kaeda, the child whose memory had brought so many together. The one who had died, whom the gods had returned as a symbol of hope. The sun was just barely visible, the sky had an unmistakable purple hue that softly faded to black. My Fingers gently gracing the wooden frame of the mask, the tips running along the edge of the crack. A deep breath encircled my lungs, and with parted lips, remaining agape for a long moment before I muttered under my breath.

“Allow my voice to reach them.”

A sudden fierce wind pushed past my back, forcing my hair to sprawl outward. The breeze whistled past my ears gently like rain falling upon the surface of a pool, and I swore, as the last bit of light seeped from the sky, I heard the most beautiful voice wash past me, a bird singing.

Author's Note
Thank you for reading this biography! I'm especially proud of the backstory for this character, as well as the unique lore connections! Large thanks to Canva for providing a free program that allows for a creative space to create all my biographies.

Juuzou out here spreading joy and friendship with snacks

England!

Level 31
Community Team
Event Team
Englandography
Englandography
Omega
Mia, you're so fucking good at biographies, it's unbelievable.

.Arkkwolf

Level 49
Community Team
Lore Team
Arkkwolf
Arkkwolf
Notable+
BIOGRAPHY UPDATE
[!] Relations Updated
[!] Photographs Updated

NOTE: If I missed your character in relations, and they know Kuren will, please let me know!

Ahimotu

Level 38
Ahimotu
Ahimotu
Omega+
AHHHH WHY DO I NOTICE JUST NOW. I mean I already read all of your biographies, but ASAMI IS THERE!!

Users who are viewing this thread