players online

thornelle

Level 6
IGN:
dogmuzzle
DATE:
02/05/2023
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
Allowing more characters within a description.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
Currently, there are only 250 characters allowed within a description (unless you have a rank that allows you to bypass this). I understand the reasoning behind it, and the fact that this could encourage people to donate to the server that needs money to keep itself running, but, I doubt the majority of people buy ranks just for a long description. I often find myself unable to fit all my character's important aspects within the 250-character description limit (engagement ring, scars, prosthetics, etc.). Not only that, but I think lengthening the character limit could aid in letting more necessary physical information that cannot be put on the skin itself to be shared, while also adding depth to other's visual of a person's character.

I feel that a better character limit would be 350. This would add more room to add more adjectives, depth, and necessary physical information- which is the aim of this suggestion.

Oliverium

Level 53
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
How much do you truly see about someone when you glance their way for a quick second? Like others, I tend to click people's characters to read their description. When done right, they're able to successfully fit it all in. A Character Biography can also be made for more specific information, and you can link it to your description. Longer descriptions tend to flood chat, and even I tend to think the max limit (with appending) is a bit much. If you need help fitting your important details in one description, you should consider a SRP tailoring discord such as Misfits where they can write you your description for a good price.

DarkEclipic

Level 160
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+

If you want to make it longer, make a chara bio here on the forums

layzah

Level 45
layzah
layzah
Omega+

Just make a longer one on the forums (Biography). This addition seems rather pointless. Plus, it's great the way it is now.

Lizalopod

Level 130

It's intended to be a simple description of your characters physical attributes, which is easily fitted into minecrafts character limit.

If you really wanna add more, just make a bio on the forums and link it in with /setbio

Ghostfire

Level 105
GhostfireSwords
GhostfireSwords
Notable+
As everybody else said, you could always just make a biography on the forums to display information about your character. However, it's also recommended that your description should only be limited to physical features that anybody could see on the outside; it's always more fun to learn the other things through roleplay. Besides, I wouldn't really want to get flashbanged by simply right clicking someone since the amount of text if it were extended would be a little much lol

Ashtetic

Level 52
Ashtetic
Ashtetic
Omega+
-1 , As said above you can make a biography putting any extra information about your said character, There was once a suggestion about longer descriptions but It was declined.

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+

A lot of people mistake descriptions for biographies. There’s a reason why you’re allowed to link a biography in the description.

In my opinion (and going off logic), descriptions should only tell the viewer what they’re looking at. The rest should be things to find out ICly

It shouldn’t really take more than the limit we have to describe a character’s appearance if it can be confined whilst still being detailed.

im also lazy, i skip over descriptions that are too long or say unnecessary information that have nothing to do with describing the character’s appearance

rieums

Level 42
rieums
rieums
Omega
-1 I dont think it's meant to be long like a life description of them. Its more physical characteristics of them and their mannerisms

Last edited:

Tippie

Level 169
Senior Admin
College Sports Lead
Event Coordinator
Tippieeeeeeee
Tippieeeeeeee
Fundraiser+
I'm quite sure you have 255*2-10 characters by appending the /setdesc command (ending it with '--')

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
Counter suggestion, let's halve the amount of characters you can use in a description by cutting everything off past the 123 character mark, because 256 is too much for me to read

Freddy

Level 36
Partytime_Freddy
Partytime_Freddy
Notable
-1 The description is there to give a person basic info about your character such as their height, smell, tone, etc. Nothing more you can write in one sentence actually! Things such as a personality, for example, don't even have to be in there as someone who would roleplay with you will learn how your character's mood usually is, how they react, and how much or little they care... bla bla. For more info and more detailed stuff you can write a whole Bio on here, and people who want or need to know more read it, trust me I love reading bios but not everyone wants to read a description explaining everything in detail. Simple = Good no need to overtake it. A good example of a description is stating their name, descent/nationality, height, and build, the rest people can see by their skin but optional is a small description of colors, hair, smell, etc. this can be done under 250 letters though I may admit for something good looking it comes near the end of 250 so I do agree that for descriptions anyone should be able to use more letters no matter the rank yet again that would destroy the feature of those ranks making it a whole new matter.

Acroy

Level 28
[-1]

For what people have said above. Just make a bio.
Plus, I wouldn't want to have my chat clogged with someones description. That's why there's a bio.

samkipX

Level 6
+1 +69, did yall ever consider the fact that a colour code so simple as &#ffffff&l already takes up so much space, i tried making a desc with simple stuff tho the colour codes take up so much

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Denied
Thank you for your suggestion! After discussing this with the team we have decided to decline it.

- You can already make quite a lengthy description, instead please create a biography.​

Users who are viewing this thread