kittyp4wz

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
kittyp4wzz

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST { EASTERN STANDARD TIME }

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, I do.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I would describe my activity on the server as a nine out of ten. Due to school being in session, I am not able to be online as often each day but that does not stop me from getting on every day when possible. I am typically online every day for at LEAST four hours when I get home from school. Below is a visual of my free time and when I have things going on.

MONDAY​
TUESDAY​
WEDNESDAY​
THURSDAY​
FRIDAY​
SATURDAY​
SUNDAY​
SCHOOL
7:15am - 3:10pm

FREE TIME
3:10pm - 9:30pm
SCHOOL

FREE TIME
SCHOOL

FREE TIME
SCHOOL

FREE TIME
SCHOOL

FREE TIME
FREE TIME
ALL DAY
FREE TIME
ALL DAY

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I am applying for the Maiden position at Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I am both prepared and willing to learn more about Shintoism. I would not be applying for this position if I wasn’t willing to go into it with an open mindset. I have not fully read up on the procedures of Shintoism, however, I am fully open to growing my horizons and applying myself to study it extensively! I'm incredibly interested in learning about other religions so that I am able to have both a better and more positive outlook on things. I have been trying my best to ready myself for this role by watching countless videos about Shintoism as a whole, taking notes, reading different articles, and even borrowing a book or two from my school library.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I believe that I stand out for this role over other applicants because many of my peers tend to describe me as an amazing writer. I tend to overexplain things, yes, but that does not stop me from trying to better myself in the long run! Although I am not as brushed up on Shintoism I am deeply interested in learning about different cultures and their practices. In short, I am a very open-minded and determined person with a love for writing and a strong passion for learning! I've been studying day in and day out on Shinto practices for a few months now and over the past two months in specific I have worked even harder in preparation to apply for this role.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I acknowledge that I will have to attend mandatory training to be taught more about Shintoism and the appropriate procedures. I am in fact excited about the idea seeing as it would give me an opportunity to learn more about the world. I am willing to attend every training session required if I am to be accepted.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

ꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀꕀ
2023-12-01_16.31.41.png

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

"Haruhi Asa Kimura."

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
"I prefer to go by Miss, Mrs, Ms, or something else along those lines."

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
"I am twenty-seven years young."

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
"I am currently single! I am trying to build a name for myself before delving into things such as romance."

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
"I am Korean."

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
"My phone number is (030)-842-8445."

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
"Although it may not seem like it, I find the Monastery to be an incredibly safe space when I feel like I cannot take any more of the incredibly loud environment around me. I feel like it is a place where I can truly be myself and make peace with nature due to the quiet atmosphere! I have a religious upbringing, seeing as my father tended to worship different gods back in South Korea. I’ve grown up around religious practice and I seem to have brought that within myself as I’ve grown older. I am not upset about that fact, however, instead, I am grateful that I can carry a piece of my father within myself. I know he would be incredibly proud to see me here applying for a role such as this and I strive to help others find their place in society and hopefully find it within themselves to forgive and bring peace to their own heart."

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"I have recently learned that the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery was originally built in 744. The shrine’s original purpose was to serve for Buddishm, yet a raging fire had set ablaze both in 1176 during a general rebellion and once more in 1578 as a regretful warning for Karakura as a whole. These fires had redirected the minds of every shrine worker, rebuilding a both better and newer Monastery, this being the one we know and visit today! Although the old shrine was both set ablaze and then left off to the side as we all directed our focus onto our current Monastery. Both, however, are graciously protected by the Kami, the divine spirits that watch over the sacred grounds."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Monastery Lead,

I trust this letter will reach you safely and currently resides in safe hands.

I am reaching out regarding my application for a position at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery as a Maiden! I grew up with an aspiration of going into a religious field of work since it was what I grew up around.

I understand that my responsibilities are anything but easy and I am fully willing to dedicate myself to my craft completely. My goal is to broaden my understanding of Shintoism under the watchful eye of others who have been working the job longer than I have been, whether that be our elders or just peers full of wisdom.

I ask that you consider my request as I apply for this position. Regardless of the outcome, I appreciate the time you have taken to read over my letter. I will continue to spread the utmost care I can give with each new interaction that flies my way.

With my best regards and utmost sincerity,

Haruhi Asa Kimura

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Haruhi Kaneko was born in Icheon-si, South Korea, into a complex tapestry of religious beliefs that wove through the fabric of her family. Her father, Xiang Kaneko, was a gentle and open-minded man who followed a spiritual path rooted in tolerance and understanding. Raised in a community that embraced diversity, he believed in the coexistence of various beliefs and sought to instill those values in his children. Haruhi's mother, on the other hand, came from a more rigid and dogmatic religious background. Eun Jung adhered to a strict set of doctrines that left little room for alternative perspectives. Unfortunately, she interpreted her faith as a license to impose her views on her family with an iron fist. Eun's religious fervor manifested as a toxic form of zealotry, leading her to enforce a harsh and unforgiving environment at home, as to what they believe. As a child, Haruhi was raised in an environment that blended the beauty of traditional Korean culture with the rigid beliefs of her parents' faith yet her mother's tremendous harm. The family lived in a modest yet well-kept home, surrounded by vibrant cherry blossoms that seemed to mirror the delicate facade masking the darkness within.

The Kaneko siblings comprised Kenjiro, the eldest; Haruhi, who was the same age but a few months younger than Kenjiro, making her the second eldest; Damon, the third eldest; Misaki, the middle child; Xia, the second youngest; and Hiroto, the youngest. Unbeknownst to Xiang, Eun Jung, Haruhi's mother, had an affair with another man, and as a result, he was unaware of Haruhi's existence. As Haruhi navigated the challenges of adolescence, her experiences fueled her drive to create a life defined by compassion and understanding. She channeled her energy into building bridges between diverse belief systems, seeking common ground where others only saw differences.

At the age of 13, unable to endure the abuse any longer, Haruhi made the courageous decision to run away from home. Carrying the weight of her troubled past, she embarked on a journey of self-discovery, seeking solace and peace beyond the confines of her tumultuous family life. Haruhi's odyssey took her through various cities and towns, each step bringing her closer to a sense of freedom and independence. Along the way, she encountered kind strangers who offered her support and guidance, helping to mend the wounds left by years of mistreatment. After many long months of traversing different landscapes and communities, Haruhi found herself in Karakura, a town known for its spiritual energy and cultural richness. The serene atmosphere and the acceptance she experienced there provided a stark contrast to the chaos she had left behind.

In Karakura, Haruhi discovered a newfound passion for spirituality, particularly in the teachings of Shintoism. Intrigued by the rich traditions and the emphasis on harmony with nature, she immersed herself in the study of Shinto practices. The local shrines and the welcoming Shinto community became a refuge for her, offering both a sanctuary and a path to healing. Haruhi Asa Kimura's journey from the ages of 18 to 27 unfolded with a profound sense of purpose and determination, driven by a tragic event that reshaped her life. At the age of 18, she received the devastating news of her father's murder, a loss that left a void in her heart. Desiring to honor his memory, Haruhi resolved to carry on his legacy and deepen her understanding of Shintoism.

Motivated by this newfound determination, Haruhi dedicated herself to the pursuit of knowledge. She embarked on a journey to gather books and resources about Shintoism and the history of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. Her father's murder fueled her passion for preserving the teachings and traditions he held dear. Every page she turned, every piece of information she acquired, became a tribute to his memory. As Haruhi immersed herself in the study of Shintoism and the history of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, she discovered a profound connection between her personal journey and the spiritual legacy of the shrine. The tragedies of the past only strengthened her commitment to preserving the sacred teachings and traditions, ensuring they endure for future generations.

Haruhi's dedication to her father's memory and her fervent pursuit of knowledge not only shaped her own spiritual growth but also contributed to the ongoing legacy of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

"The duties of both Shinto Priests and Shinto Maidens are nothing but tedious. Starting off with Priests, they perform special rituals and ceremonies. They tend to offer services such as purifying spaces, offerings, prayers, and blessing new buildings. Many also tend to the cleanliness of the shrine and help people understand Shinto beliefs. Moving onto Maidens, they have jobs just as important, if not harder. They offer help during rituals and ceremonies, doing things like dances and giving meaningful offerings. Maidens tend to help with random fortunes or perform special dances called Kagura as a form of speaking to Kami. They are the main role keeping the shrine clean. Both, typically during October in Karakura, also spend their days fending off different spirits."

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
"The steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine are anything but hard so anyone reading this, please begin following this ritual... For starters, the purification process is typically called Temizuya, which is pretty easy to remember! Once reaching the purification trough located at the entrance of the shrine, look down to your side in search of a ladle in a low stand. After locating the ladle you'd pick it up with your right hand and let it rest gracefully along your fingers. Pour a small amount of water over your left hand, switching hands and doing the same with the right once finished with your left. You would then need to pour a small amount of water into a cupped hand to rinse your mouth. Spit the water out and to the side, tilting the ladle vertically so the water will gently flow down the handle to cleanse it! Once all is done, place the ladle pace into its low stand."

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
"Offerings to a Kami are performed nearly every day. Once reaching the designated offering area you have either created or found on your own accord, clap twice and then place your offerings onto their specific bowls or platforms. Offerings can range from different foods to different significant objects one holds close. The benefits of making offerings to a Kami are close to endless. The most prominent is the strengthened bond between person and god once performing such rituals."

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
"Performing a tea ceremony ritual involves many careful and well-thought-out steps. You would start off this tedious ritual by gathering all materials necessary, such as a tea bowl to hold the future paste, a whisk to mix, and a scoop to retrieve the matcha mix. Cleanse the utensils before each use as a symbol of purification. Once making sure to purify each of your utensils, take your scoop and measure the correct amount of green tea powder into your tea bowl. Pour hot water, grab your whisk, and begin mixing until it turns to a frothy paste. Once finished, present the tea bowl to the guest. Your guest should sip the tea as a sign of respect throughout your hard and tedious work. That would mark the end of your serene tea ceremony."

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
"Ah, of course. A Tamagushi is a special offering made of, typically, evergreen or sakaki tree branches! People tend to offer these to Kami during ceremonies or rituals to show respect and ask for something through prayer!"

"An Ofuda is a lucky charm of sorts! You can purchase or receive one at Shinto shrines, or more importantly, our wonderful monastery! Ofuda's are pieces of paper or wood with special and blessed writing. These pieces of paper or wood are symbolic and are believed to bring good luck or protection!"

"Lastly, a Kagura Suzu is a type of bell typically made of brass! The bell's sound is believed to make places of Shinto clean, grasping the attention of the Kami during sacred dances! All are important in Shinto to show devotion."

. . .

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Benzaiten (Benten)
"Benzaiten is the goddess of love, wisdom, and most importantly, femininity. Haruhi finds both strength and confidence within herself after offering this goddess a prayer whenever available. She is a member of the seven lucky gods."
───────────────────────────────────────

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to limited space. All applications this round were incredibly strong, but I'd like to note that you don't have to be an amazing writer in order to join the faction. Thank you for taking your time to apply.​

Users who are viewing this thread