players online

New Sport Team Suggestion | _BritishAutism_

_BritishAutism_

Level 95
_BritishAutism_
_BritishAutism_
Omega+
Interesting but wouldn't work.

Bows are already used for the baseball plugin, being the original Minecraft bow texture invisible and I believe it would be unable to be used;
School Teams are already having a hard time keeping their rosters completed and one more team is really not needed at the moment;
If it does ruin the bow plugin, I think maybe detailrp and /roll would probably be the best way to use this teams equipment, same as how Track and cheer do with their team.

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
It would interfere with the current plugins that utilize arrows to function: Basketball, Baseball, and Dodgeball.
Adding a new plugin which uses arrows shouldn't influence other arrow-based plugins; by your strand of logic, the currently existing plugins shouldn't work with each other. I'm fairly certain our sports plugins are independent from one another, so it shouldn't matter if a new one is added. (NOTE: I'm not a programmer and I don't know how the SRP plugins are written. This is speculation based on what I believe to be common sense.)

Bows are already used for the baseball plugin, being the original Minecraft bow texture invisible and I believe it would be unable to be used
The way our resource pack works, this isn't an issue. Minecraft allows you to apply a custom model to the durability value of any tool/weapon, meaning you can have (basically) as many models as you want on anything, including the bow. We've actually done this on SRP, as you yourself have described; there are different models for baseball, basketball, and the "/am" command. There would be no issue in adding one more for an archery team.

These two arguments aside, I am personally against an official archery team on SRP. I agree with (mostly) everything that I haven't explicitly disagreed with that's been said by other people, but do have a few thoughts of my own to expand on the discussion.

Despite archery being a cultured and interesting skill, it wouldn't survive long-term as a subject of roleplay. It's a sport without much action, just pull back, aim, and release; no matter how it's written it will eventually become stale over time, and interest will die down. Inevitably, it would likely become an accessory to the characters participating, and not a serious sport worthy of notice; there's nothing wrong with something like this being ornamental, but only if that was the intention from the start.

Perhaps you could create an unofficial archery club, where it's more of a casual setting as opposed to a serious competitive sport. I couldn't say whether you could have a custom bow made, as ranged weapons aren't allowed; it may be difficult to obtain an archery range to use them as well, unless you have a property where building one would be realistic. Regardless, I think this is your greatest chance at introducing archery to SRP.

_BritishAutism_

Level 95
_BritishAutism_
_BritishAutism_
Omega+
Adding a new plugin which uses arrows shouldn't influence other arrow-based plugins; by your strand of logic, the currently existing plugins shouldn't work with each other. I'm fairly certain our sports plugins are independent from one another, so it shouldn't matter if a new one is added. (NOTE: I'm not a programmer and I don't know how the SRP plugins are written. This is speculation based on what I believe to be common sense.)

The way our resource pack works, this isn't an issue. Minecraft allows you to apply a custom model to the durability value of any tool/weapon, meaning you can have (basically) as many models as you want on anything, including the bow. We've actually done this on SRP, as you yourself have described; there are different models for baseball, basketball, and the "/am" command. There would be no issue in adding one more for an archery team.

These two arguments aside, I am personally against an official archery team on SRP. I agree with (mostly) everything that I haven't explicitly disagreed with that's been said by other people, but do have a few thoughts of my own to expand on the discussion.

Despite archery being a cultured and interesting skill, it wouldn't survive long-term as a subject of roleplay. It's a sport without much action, just pull back, aim, and release; no matter how it's written it will eventually become stale over time, and interest will die down. Inevitably, it would likely become an accessory to the characters participating, and not a serious sport worthy of notice; there's nothing wrong with something like this being ornamental, but only if that was the intention from the start.

Perhaps you could create an unofficial archery club, where it's more of a casual setting as opposed to a serious competitive sport. I couldn't say whether you could have a custom bow made, as ranged weapons aren't allowed; it may be difficult to obtain an archery range to use them as well, unless you have a property where building one would be realistic. Regardless, I think this is your greatest chance at introducing archery to SRP.
I will make this in to a club if the suggestion is denied, thanks for the feedback :)

ItsLucrator

Level 11
grp3
grp3
Rich+

Personally, I think there are already too many teams on the server as well as archery detailRP and rolling doesn't seem appealing to me, will there even be competitions? Even so, it wouldn't be very entertaining if we just watched the teams rolling and doing detailRP. It'd get boring, but this is just my personal opinion! It could also be a good idea if it weren't real arrows and were more of a practice arrow so teachers/professors got to use them for their classes.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
Sadly I don't think more teams will be added to the server due to the teams we have now struggle to find and hold members; adding another team will just add another team that will probably face similar struggles among other things like that.

Archery is a great idea in the sense many Japanese schools have teams for it but usually fall under a club category. Id love to see a club for this if you'd like to look into that as well

Sirguiad

Level 10
Sirguiad
Sirguiad
Notable
+1

If any other new sports are to be added, i'd say this one is one of the easiest considering the bow and arrow are already in the base game - The only issue is it already being used in another plugin, to which i don't know the solution.

If this ever gets accepted, it needs to be kept out of combatrp/gangrp by all means.

Sirguiad

Level 10
Sirguiad
Sirguiad
Notable
+1

If any other new sports are to be added, i'd say this one is one of the easiest considering the bow and arrow are already in the base game - The only issue is it already being used in another plugin, to which i don't know the solution.

If this ever gets accepted, it needs to be kept out of combatrp/gangrp by all means.

Also good to mention how there are target blocks since 1.13 if i'm not mistaking, hitting them produces a redstone charge, making rolling not really needed, just different distances and actual skill with it.

Demurity

Level 35
1- no teams are going to be added
2- although the idea of an archery plugin or item is cool, refer to point 1
3- although detailrp could definitely be done, refer to point 1

MrSharkyJR

Level 26
MrSharkyJR
MrSharkyJR
Fundraiser+
Really cool idea but hard to work out as mentioned in previous comments

I will have to give it a -1

zegevlier

Level 25
Community Team
Developer
How will it work? Just with a bunch of /mes and rolling right? Because shooting a real bow seems impossible right? Wouldn’t it interfere with the rh command
It will not.
It would interfere with the current plugins that utilize arrows to function
No, it won't.

therefore their texture is invisible
The invisible texture only applies to certain bows, just like the baseball bat is also a bow you can make a bow that has a normal / another bow texture.
Bows are already used for the baseball plugin, being the original Minecraft bow texture invisible and I believe it would be unable to be used
See everything above here, if it was accepted it could easily be made to work.

YES, exactly.

Why do so many people in this thread say that it isn't possible for technical reasons? Exactly as @iKawaiiPotato said: if the bow doesn't work normally outside of the fields / am all of the other plugins depending on the bow would also stop functioning. The same goes for the model. We can (by the current way we do things) add 350+ different bow textures. If we were to drop 1.13 support we would be able to add 16 million different textures. Add a texture for this / using the existing, normal, bow texture is not a problem at all.

I also think the bow abuse could be prevented by only giving players the bow (automatically) when entering the archery field and stopping the arrows from hitting other players or going out of the field there.

Still, I don't think it's good to have another team. There are already a lot of teams that have problems with activity, spreading the players that want to join a team even thinner doesn't sound like a good idea.

Tippie

Level 169
Senior Admin
College Sports Lead
Event Coordinator
Tippieeeeeeee
Tippieeeeeeee
Fundraiser+
I think this would be a fun addition but not as new team, this would be great as extra activity you could do in for example the forest

Users who are viewing this thread