players online

Over-The-Phone DetailRP | Suggestion

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Rich
IGN: Sashabelle05

DATE: 11/22/22 (22/11/22, if you're of another nationality)

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: I wish to suggest some form of /phoneme or /callme, or even just a way for *(message)* to work over the ICLY phone. I know that some people do [!] (message) [!] and * (message) * over the phone, but those do not have any differentiation from the rest of the phone call, and do not usually end up looking very professional.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: Let's be honest here, miscommunication happens very easily during conversation over the ICLY phone, whether it be lack of knowing tone of voice, or just the lack of extra depth over that phone call that you would get from an OOCLY phone call. (I.E : the wind blowing on the speaker, people talking in the background, etc.) This would benefit the community much so by making it easier to prevent said miscommunication, and add that extra depth that I mentioned. DetailRP is one of the funnest things to do in schoolRP and is one of the things that makes this server so unique, so I'd love for this feature to be put in game for an added layer of detail and realism.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a great day. :)

Therealnougsoc

Level 10
nougsoc
nougsoc
Fundraiser+
+1

I've always wanted to do some kind of detailRP over IC phone calls. Doing the 2 asterixes between the text looks unprofessional, and just kinda.. weird.

FadedMoonlight

Level 60
[+1]
I've seen other's do this before (Mr. Allen Black, I'm looking at you) as well as myself! I want a proper way to tell someone that I threw my phone into a lake to avoid talking to them rather than having my character say it out loud and causing confusion.

Oliverium

Level 53
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
+1
This would add the ability for tone changes, background noise, context clues to know your/their location, and more. Would add a whole other layer to RP. Imagine being a cop getting a call and hearing screaming on the other end.

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Rich
+1
This would add the ability for tone changes, background noise, context clues to know your/their location, and more. Would add a whole other layer to RP. Imagine being a cop getting a call and hearing screaming on the other end.
exactlyyy!!!

Oliverium

Level 53
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
[+1]
I've seen other's do this before (Mr. Allen Black, I'm looking at you) as well as myself! I want a proper way to tell someone that I threw my phone into a lake to avoid talking to them rather than having my character say it out loud and causing confusion.
Seems excessive considering you can just hang up o.o RIP your phone though, hope it's water proof

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Rich
[+1]
I've seen other's do this before (Mr. Allen Black, I'm looking at you) as well as myself! I want a proper way to tell someone that I threw my phone into a lake to avoid talking to them rather than having my character say it out loud and causing confusion
I'm just imagining " *INTENSE SPLOSHING NOISES* " LOL

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Rich
IGN: Sashabelle05

DATE: 11/22/22 (22/11/22, if you're of another nationality)

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: I wish to suggest some form of /phoneme or /callme, or even just a way for *(message)* to work over the ICLY phone. I know that some people do [!] (message) [!] and * (message) * over the phone, but those do not have any differentiation from the rest of the phone call, and do not usually end up looking very professional.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: Let's be honest here, miscommunication happens very easily during conversation over the ICLY phone, whether it be lack of knowing tone of voice, or just the lack of extra depth over that phone call that you would get from an OOCLY phone call. (I.E : the wind blowing on the speaker, people talking in the background, etc.) This would benefit the community much so by making it easier to prevent said miscommunication, and add that extra depth that I mentioned. DetailRP is one of the funnest things to do in schoolRP and is one of the things that makes this server so unique, so I'd love for this feature to be put in game for an added layer of detail and realism.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a great day. :)
@D3_sp41r thoughts?

Infi

Level 130
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
I’m iffy about this. You shouldn’t be able to put actions into your phone aside from potential background noise and cutting out. I don’t think it’s worth an entire plugin change just to add a command that allows you to do what you can already do now. That said, Onrain is close to finished I hope, just be patient for that and you’ll get the features you want

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Rich
I’m iffy about this. You shouldn’t be able to put actions into your phone aside from potential background noise and cutting out. I don’t think it’s worth an entire plugin change just to add a command that allows you to do what you can already do now. That said, Onrain is close to finished I hope, just be patient for that and you’ll get the features you want
alright. thank you for your insight!

LionKing87

Level 5
LionKing87
LionKing87
Rich
+1

I’ve always been like super confused on how I was supposed to action laughs or sighs over the phone, and obviously background noises and such. This is a super great idea. Hope it gets the support ya need.

D3_sp41r

Level 21
D3_sp41r
D3_sp41r
Notable
+1

Bestie you already know I'm down for this.

I'm a bit distracted atm but I'll try and articulate my thoughts the best I can-

The ability to differentiate between actions over the phone by means other than separating through brackets [ ], parentheses ( ), and asterisks * * would make the aesthetics for phone calls a lot more pleasing and in turn a lot more comprehensible, clearing up confusion about what's being said or acted on.

I totally understand your concern for this and think it's a good concern to bring up- after all, people shouldn't be doing PHYSICAL roleplays over the phone. For instance, physical contact or anything that involves sight, smell, etc. to be perceived over the phone wouldn't make sense (apart from the visual if a video calling function is introduced) but that sort of thing seems more like a player-side issue that most players would have the sense not to do.

I do think, however, like you said that audible actions should be picked up over the phone, and the implementation of a /callme type command could be helpful for that. Sighing, laughing, onomatopoeia type things like clinking and slamming noises could be expressed through the phone with this sort of command.

Users who are viewing this thread