Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
IGN: ImKana

DATE:
7/28/21

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: I want to suggest that P2L (Play to lose) combat be pushed a little more than it is. P2L is an enjoyable form of action, and with the roll system in place, there isn't much chance to use it actively. Sure, people can agree to P2L, but I'm sure they aren't going to P2L that fight when seven gang members surround you. P2L is a beautiful thing; it shows your talent in writing while still having fun with combat roleplay.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: Pushing P2L will benefit the server heavily; a good majority of toxicity and arguments are started from the roll system. The roll system was created because people argued over P2Ling in games, but I rarely see any disputes from players when P2Ling in SRP. Another benefit is the fact that this can teach new players basic DetailRP, setting them up for a better roleplay experience in the future. I'm not saying to abolish the roll system altogether. I'm simply requesting that we do more with P2L. Maybe things like P2L events and such where the system could be utilized. I feel like the P2L system isn't being used, and, in the past month, I've had several people ask me what it is. I feel like pushing the P2L system could cause fewer disputes in CombatRP situations while teaching people to roleplay with more logic rather than determining their move from rolls. It doesn't make sense when a 4'0 person can punch a 7'5 person in the face, and then they have to PainRP accordingly because the 4'0 person won a roll.

Possible ways to promote Play to Lose combat.

• Actively place it in the rules and information guides.
  • Make more things similar to the fight club, such as karate dojos, MMA tournaments, etc.
  • Possibly add a wrestling sport to the server where P2L would be the primary type of combat.
  • Events based on P2L warfare could make the combatrp side of SRP a bit more active in events and allow for P2L to be pushed in a positive setting.
  • Possibly educate players more on P2L combat. I feel like many players don't do it because they don't know what it is.

NOTE: Sorry if this suggestion has been requested before, I looked, but I didn't find anything.

Last edited:

Yonio

Level 328
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
+1...?
I do agree that P2L is a really good way of roleplaying and that it should be promoted even more, other than just being an OOCly-consented way of fighting. Nonetheless, this thread doesn't really state any way to promote it. If you have any ideas/suggestions that could make the P2L system more active within the community, feel free to post them!

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
+1...?
I do agree that P2L is a really good way of roleplaying and that it should be promoted even more, other than just being an OOCly-consented way of fighting. Nonetheless, this thread doesn't really state any way to promote it. If you have any ideas/suggestions that could make the P2L system more active within the community, feel free to post them!

Could really be anything, I'll work on a list of ideas for this though, and post it in the replies in a bit.

Kurusu

Level 22
_Kurusu_
_Kurusu_
Rich+
P2L is gonna be fun I won't lie from what i've learned from the past its like auto honor and someone said you can powerrp and double action idk if thats true or not but i dont think so either way im curious to see how this will affect gangrp since if P2L will be mandatory then goddamn people abouta just run around doing actions and dead bodies all over and stuff so +1 for me

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
P2L is gonna be fun I won't lie from what i've learned from the past its like auto honor and someone said you can powerrp and double action idk if thats true or not but i dont think so either way im curious to see how this will affect gangrp since if P2L will be mandatory then goddamn people abouta just run around doing actions and dead bodies all over and stuff so +1 for me
You can double action, definitely not PowerRP. P2L is about making combat more realistic, not the other way around. Still a very fun form of combat though, makes rolling seem really boring once you try it out.

Kurusu

Level 22
_Kurusu_
_Kurusu_
Rich+
You can double action, definitely not PowerRP. P2L is about making combat more realistic, not the other way around. Still a very fun form of combat though, makes rolling seem really boring once you try it out.
Yeah ik its fun i did it with someone before and tbh imo P2L kinda proves your rp skills and combactrp skills if you detailrp it you can get good at that and tbh i prefer P2L than rolling since you can detailrp your action and get shitty rolls but then in P2L if you like get jumped or aboutta get killed its not impossible to leave just hard but it is more realistic and skill based than rolling if you ask me

tong

Level 70
psychoment
psychoment
Rich
+1
please man i hate doing one-liners i just wanna do funny writing in peace like man

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
IGN: ImKana

DATE:
7/28/21

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: I want to suggest that P2L (Play to lose) combat be pushed a little more than it is. P2L is an enjoyable form of action, and with the roll system in place, there isn't much chance to use it actively. Sure, people can agree to P2L, but I'm sure they aren't going to P2L that fight when seven gang members surround you. P2L is a beautiful thing; it shows your talent in writing while still having fun with combat roleplay.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: Pushing P2L will benefit the server heavily; a good majority of toxicity and arguments are started from the roll system. The roll system was created because people argued over P2Ling in games, but I rarely see any disputes from players when P2Ling in SRP. Another benefit is the fact that this can teach new players basic DetailRP, setting them up for a better roleplay experience in the future. I'm not saying to abolish the roll system altogether. I'm simply requesting that we do more with P2L. Maybe things like P2L events and such where the system could be utilized. I feel like the P2L system isn't being used, and, in the past month, I've had several people ask me what it is. I feel like pushing the P2L system could cause fewer disputes in CombatRP situations while teaching people to roleplay with more logic rather than determining their move from rolls. It doesn't make sense when a 4'0 person can punch a 7'5 person in the face, and then they have to PainRP accordingly because the 4'0 person won a roll.

Possible ways to promote Play to Lose combat.

• Actively place it in the rules and information guides.
  • Make more things similar to the fight club, such as karate dojos, MMA tournaments, etc.
  • Possibly add a wrestling sport to the server where P2L would be the primary type of combat.
  • Events based on P2L warfare could make the combatrp side of SRP a bit more active in events and allow for P2L to be pushed in a positive setting.
  • Possibly educate players more on P2L combat. I feel like many players don't do it because they don't know what it is.

NOTE: Sorry if this suggestion has been requested before, I looked, but I didn't find anything.

Edit:
By Yonio's suggestion, I added a list of potential ways we could push P2L more on the server.

Kurusu

Level 22
_Kurusu_
_Kurusu_
Rich+
Tbh id say forget rolls and stick to p2l as rolls are all luck and p2l is mainly your actions and how you wanna go about doing it but i dont think that will happen smh

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
Tbh id say forget rolls and stick to p2l as rolls are all luck and p2l is mainly your actions and how you wanna go about doing it but i dont think that will happen smh
I mean the roll system is still good for some things, though I don't really think it should be used for some types of combat. For example, weapon combat is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. P2L should be required just to make sure the situation is explained in full detail. The lack of detail usually placed in roll actions can cause toxicity and staff arguments. I definitely don't believe we should get rid of roll combat completely though.

Kurusu

Level 22
_Kurusu_
_Kurusu_
Rich+
I mean the roll system is still good for some things, though I don't really think it should be used for some types of combat. For example, weapon combat is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. P2L should be required just to make sure the situation is explained in full detail. The lack of detail usually placed in roll actions can cause toxicity and staff arguments. I definitely don't believe we should get rid of roll combat completely though.
I mean ill put it this way lets say i actioned to detailrp cutting your limb off i win the roll then you have a chance of running if you win your roll dip if you dont you die so its 50/50 with the rolling however with p2l you have a 100% if not 90% chance if you do that action right and if the person who stabbed you didnt somehow like freeze you by stabbing your neck or stuff people can easily p2l stabbing a area stopping you from movement if its p2l and realistic they can do that but if they dont you have about 100% or 90% chance or actually survivng in p2l and save your character as with rolling its 50/50 not high so imo p2l is better.

Mariav

Level 211
itsmariav
itsmariav
Omega
P2L is really amazing and i love role playing with it. Of course there is some situations that are not possible to have it but yeah, i think people should use P2L more often on daily situations on SRP.

+1

Back in 2018- at least from my experience- the most common form of combatrp was 'honorrp,' which is basically what P2L currently is. People would respectfully dodge attacks only when it actually made sense, didn't go too crazy with fights, nor did they really whip out weapons or try to run away when it came to fights. It was called 'honor' roleplay because you were basically honorable enough to not try and power rp your way through winning a fight, but actually took character attributes and combat experience and bring it into the fight.

So, with that being said, encouraging P2L over the rolling system- especially considering the unfairness it brings in some occasions if you really compare two different characters who are fighting each other, and/or that character's experience (rped out or written in lore) with combat- is honestly a great idea. It also would help new players who get into the gangrp scene or general combatrp ease into decent detailrp, which is progressively becoming the common form of roleplay in SRP.

It'd also probably help some people get more literate and expand their big boy vocabulary from 'carotid' B)

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
Big +1

I love P2L!!! Not every situation should be roll based honestly most shouldnt! P2L helps promote roleplay both parties can work with and can create even more fun roleplay experiences! Some situations can call for a roll system sure but @skinnylettuce put it the best! Though the only downside is how sometimes not everyone is okay with losing and could cause OOC problems. In all, i love the idea. Seeing stabs carotid and assists is starting to look like it needs a face lift in vocabulary. Regardless love the idea and would love to see ways to actually implement this

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
Big +1

I love P2L!!! Not every situation should be roll based honestly most shouldnt! P2L helps promote roleplay both parties can work with and can create even more fun roleplay experiences! Some situations can call for a roll system sure but @skinnylettuce put it the best! Though the only downside is how sometimes not everyone is okay with losing and could cause OOC problems. In all, i love the idea. Seeing stabs carotid and assists is starting to look like it needs a face lift in vocabulary. Regardless love the idea and would love to see ways to actually implement this

Indeed! I've been in the combat side of SRP since I joined; it's pretty sad to see that people still resort to actions such as /me stabs carotid. I don't believe rolling should be completely gone, and It's just not everything is built for rolling.

Wrath ⛥

Level 99
conqnest
conqnest
Notable
+1
P2L slaps and i feel like it’d also encourage more OOCly interaction over characters, so….. yes, absolutely.
much better way of roleplaying then over a roll of the dice and makes things more ICly realistic. yuh. banger suggestion.

Hobbits

Level 10
+1

Introduction
As someone who is big on RP-2-lose, I wanted to provided some insight from my experiences of moderating back then that could provide some understanding as to why a lot of players do not want to Roleplay to lose. Sadly I think a lot of it stems from two things: Maturity in RP, and PKs.

• Maturity in RP: As we continue each year the community on SRP gets older and older, from back in Furness Academy when we basically had no rules, no RP names, and didn't take anything seriously when it came to RP. All of it was just simply a projection of ourselves. Now, it's 2021, our community is much older and we take things seriously, and sadly it sometimes seems like the community still hasn't matured to the idea of losing in Roleplay. Even back a lot of players in our community always had a mentality of wanting to win, I mean it makes sense, we all wanna be winners at the end of the day, but, just like with anything else in life we lose and well people don't take losing very well sometimes. This usually leads to a lot of OOC toxicity and a lot of unnecessary drama. Though the reason why a lot of people wanna win especially in Villainy and in Combat RP is one simple thing, PK's.

• Forced Perma-Killing: Sadly, if I still was an Admin, I think my biggest regret was not trying to push for the removal of Force-PK's on the server. Many players on the server know that if they lose in certain situations of villainy or combat there is a very high probability that the character that they put a lot of emotional investment, time, and even sometimes money into can all go down the drain. So, they do the only thing they can do, and they take it up to chance and do a rolling system. I can understand from a lot of player's points of view how valuable losing can be, but I genuinely do believe that Forced Perma-Killing has destroyed all forms of growth from any character on this server. Many players on this server DO want to lose, or have negative qualities but sustain from doing so due to players OOCly thinking: 'My character would do X, but if my character does do X I know they would be PK'd and I would have to make a new character -- so it's best if my character doesn't do X'. And while many players will say, this is just a bad Roleplay, I think that in all honesty, the problem has to do with the server's rules rather than the players themselves.

Solution
While I do believe the solution above by @K_anashimi is a good start, I do genuinely believe a strong overhaul or a discussion should be had by all members of the community to come up with something even better! Personally, I think:
  • Removing Sharp Weapons from the server (and reimbursing players who have sharp weapons).
  • Taking away Forced Perma-Killing.
  • Adding Consensual PKs.
  • Possibility of Overhauling Police as a response to Villainy and Combat.
    Make GangRP an Application ;)

Conclusion
To end I really hope the server puts more emphasis on P2L based Roleplay, and while my solutions personally can be extreme I do believe in the long run they are probably the most effective in handling RP in combat. In my experience of moderating most players just wanna come home, have fun in RP, and not lose their characters because at the end of the day, Players will always act in the best interest of themselves (Both in RP & OOCly), and they'll do anything they can to keep their character alive or not get banned on the server.

- Hobbits​

Users who are viewing this thread