IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
sandybones

{Alts: dustyfossil}

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
tobysaurr

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, but I don’t really use it. I can absolutely listen, but I am uncomfortable with talking.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I’m on nearly every single day/night unless I have something to do.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Priest!

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Of course, I'm willing to learn!

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I spend nearly most if not all of my time up at the monastery interacting with visitors or spirits. I’m super interactive with the community and I really do want to learn about Shintoism. I’m a super fast learner, though it may take a couple of times to get myself to understand it truly. I absolutely love to interact with the people that come up into the shrine and Niibu has been one of the more fun and interesting characters due to his involvement with the spirits and community. I feel that I'm easy to connect with and try to be as sociable and friendly as possible.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAINING TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yeah of course! I’d actually prefer training…

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTER'S FULL NAME:

Niibu Tsu

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
30 y/o

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Niibu is a widower, and currently single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-635-8702

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
Niibu spends nearly 90% of his time at the monastery. He’s been trying his best over the past few months to learn all he can about Shintoism so that he can become a priest. He learns from the maidens and priests he considers his friends and watches them closely. He’s grown interested in their duties and the more time he spends there the more interested he becomes in the religion and the more willing and wanting he is to learn.
I love to talk with the people up at the monastery, and I love to interact with spirits, as most do. I’d love to be an actual addition to the monastery, instead of an oddly permanent guest. The more I've been learning about how Shintoism works the more interesting it seems to become to me, and the more questions that I have.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I know the layout of the place pretty well considering how much time I spend there. I’m aware that there was a fire which burned down part of the old shrine. That’s the extent of the monastery's history which I know.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Hyohanashima, Monestary Lead.

I hope to find you in good health. I am writing to you seeking a position as a priest at your monastery. I’m not trained in Shinto, and I have never been particularly religious, but the things that I have seen and found out about myself while staying around the Monastery have been life-changing, and led my interest to grow in Shintoism. My interest over the past month or so has piqued, and so has my interest in a priest position. I am pleased that you took the time to read my letter, and I hope that my application finds you in good times.

Best regards,

C883E360-56DF-4CA5-B22F-39D6C37E51A4.jpeg

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Niibu Tsu is a Chinese-Japanese male born somewhere in Southern Japan to Aina Tsu in 1993. He spent most of his life there, going through schooling until he reached the age of 18.
He moved to Tokyo and got a job as a bartender in the city. He spent most of his life there up until he was about 26 when he got married! though he was only technically married for around 20 minutes. After the death of his spouse, he moved again, though just across the city, out of their apartment. He got another bartending job to start out but was let go because of his harsh nature and attitude towards the customers, so he worked at several other places until he decided to move back to Karakura at age 30, intending to join the concentration of his family in the city.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
Shinto priests officiate most shrine ceremonies and events such as weddings or cleanses and often are the ones to teach the younger generations about the joys of Shintoism. They are assisted by maidens who help in performing exorcisms and other ceremonies. Both help to keep the shrine clean and tidy, and serve to enforce the shrine rules.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
You are meant to approach the basin and pick up the hishaku, scooping up a generous amount of water with it. You are to pour a little water on your left hand FIRST, and then your right. After cleansing your hands, use your left hand to scoop some water and bring your mouth to your palm, allowing your lips to get a little wet. This is a symbolic purification of the mouth. You are not meant to wash your hands or drink the water, the purification is symbolic. You then need to pour a little more water onto your left hand to re-cleanse. After you have finished cleansing your hands, lift the mouth of the dipper as pictured above, allowing the leftover water to run down the handle. This gesture is an act of purifying the dipper handle, so other visitors can use it.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
You should approach the offering box, and give out a monetary offering, the most common is a 5 yen coin. You are then to DEEPLY bow twice, ring the bell twice, and then clap your hands. When you have finished clapping, join your hands in a prayer position. Press both hands and palms together while keeping your fingers straight. When you have finished your prayer, bow once more.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
A tea ritual first involves cleaning and preparing the room for the event, when guests are settled, the tea set is cleaned. Then, Matcha tea is made for the ritual, typically in front of all of the guests, and small sweets or a lighter sort of food is served before the tea.. The tea bowl is placed onto the tatami mat in front of them, with its front facing the guest. They are to pick it up with their right hand and place it onto their left palm. With their right hand, they begin to turn it clockwise by around 90 degrees so that its front is no longer facing them. They drink the tea in a few sips and place it back onto the tatami, then it is customary to bow and pass it to the next person, again rotating 90 degrees as it goes around. Towards the end of the ceremony, there will be time to inspect and appreciate the tea bowl by lifting it. Once finished, turn the bowl so that the front faces the host. The host may ask if guests would like another round of tea, and if not, the tea ceremony is over when the host washes the tea utensils and returns the equipment to where they were before starting.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda, and Kagura Suzu are and what they're used for:
Tamagushi are offerings made of pine or evergreen trees adorned with paper or cotton and are used in ceremonies which include weddings, funerals, and sometimes exorcisms.

Ofuda are made of paper or other materials and are used to ward off or seal away spirits. Certain kinds of ofuda are intended for a specific purpose and may be kept on one's person or placed on other areas of the home

Kagura Suzu is a set of 12-15 bells set into 3 rows used by maidens in the kagura dance. They are used to call kami during rituals which can help with expelling spirits by bringing authority and power to the wielder as they attempt to seal a spirit away.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Niibu is Unsure.
──────────────────────────────────────

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a priest, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread