Roosian
DISCORD NAME & TAG:
Akiyo
WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
GMT+9
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Occasionally
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am very active on the server. I’m online every day, except for GMT weekends, and am able to stay online for 4-5 hours at a time. Sometimes I am able to stay on longer, it just depends on the day.
WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Maiden
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I have pretty common knowledge on Shintoism based on Japanese terms. I study and follow it in real life, but I am always eager to learn more about my religion, regardless of where the information may come from.
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I was born in Kyoto, Japan. My family’s religion is Shintoism, and I was in a school that specifically practiced our beliefs in Shintoism. I visit a shrine near me every so often to attend gatherings that are held, and I have participated as an unofficial Miko. I prepared food for the event. I have been playing for more than 3 years on SRP, and have learned a lot of RP through many people. I believe that my OOC knowledge of the religion and my understanding of IC interactions goes a great length in making me stand out. I am constantly looking for ways to achieve deeper character development for myself and others. The shrine is a great way of achieving that experience. Being able to portray my character through the religion I have grown up with is something I am very passionate about.
DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I do understand, and I am very happy to be part of the training and lectures as well as procedures you partake in as part of the shrine.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Emiko Tokugawa
CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Miss
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Dating
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-749-8980
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“My motivation for applying is very clear to me. I was raised under the teachings of a Miko, and my mother was one. Her guidance throughout my life and others has been something I’ve always admired. She truly did feel like a child of the kami. I want to enlighten myself in those ways, to guide others as well as myself through life, to be the balance between the spiritual realm and the physical. Karakura has ancient history, and it’s quite interesting, so I want to learn more about it. To indulge myself in the teachings of the maidens and priests alike I will use any opportunity to give myself more purpose, as well as others.”
TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“My knowledge is a bit blunt, though I do wish to learn more about it in the future. I believe it was constructed as a Buddhist teaching ground, and is now committed to Shintoism. A great fire swept through the monastery, and burnt everything except for one building. I believe a Priest said it was the closest to where Kami resided. It had been constructed in the mountains for isolation, which, in turn, was a great thing for a while. . .It’s said that a priest at the monastery was the one to light it on fire, if I am correct. Though, I know for certain that many Kami left the mountain. Except for one that is filled with terrible sorrow, which is why we are constantly flooded with storms.”
WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

I am quite honored and excited to be able to write to you, and would like to express my excitement through this letter. My dedication to working towards becoming a maiden has been growing since I was a child. Granted, I may not know the most about the monastery in Karakura compared to others, but it’s through that which I gain the desire and drive to learn more, as well as commit my acts to the shrine that I love to be around so greatly. I want to give back to those who have helped me in my life, so to me, the best way I can accomplish this is by becoming a Maiden. I want to honor the faith that so many have put towards the Kami, and thus, I believe the monastery is my calling. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.
Sincerely,
Emiko Tokugawa
BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Emiko Tokugawa, a woman who was born on November the 29th, 2001. A child that believed she'd grow up in Kyoto, Uji, was born into a wealthy family that was quite known throughout the state. A lot of the family in Uji desired to be traveling nurses, due to being able to see different states, as well as grow a healthy financial state for their loved ones to grow.

Emiko's focus on life was set forward by her mother. To focus on balance, and equilibrium of the mind. Her thirst for knowledge was always accompanied by the thirst of friendship, so she was never isolated or alone. Because of how well she did as a child, her parents believed it would be a good point to send Emiko to Karakura. This happened when Emiko was around the age of 13. This was a fierce test for their daughter, due to them believing that she could possibly start a business. She was granted the title of "Acting Lead" of Karakura's Tokugawa, thus, Emiko held that title dearly and made it her mission to accomplish not only her life goal for balance, but to grow the reputation of the family she thought so highly of.

After a few years of being in Karakura, Emiko ended up devoting herself to a clan, and worked for them however they saw fit. She mostly dealt with loans, and ensured people weren't fighting on the streets. This left her with enough free time to spend training in martial arts, and she did so at the shrine. Slowly, each day she'd visit there, and her curiosity grew as she began to share tea with the priests, rather than training herself. The clan she devoted herself to was also highly respectful of the shrine, and visited quite often to show respect to the workers, and to pay for charms.

Throughout the years, Emiko’s knowledge surrounding Karakura grew, but her knowledge for the shrine remained bleak. However. she has always sought to learn more. When the clan disbanded, her focus shifted direction. Once again not only seeking a higher spiritual meaning for her family, this time she also wanted it for herself. Now her spare time is consumed with the shrine, where she offers a helping hand as much as she can with cleaning, teaching, and cooking for the works of the shrine. Every interaction she had at the shrine only fueled her drive to join them and hand in her application.
SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

“Even though they have similar jobs, there are clear outlines to what duties they perform. A shrine maiden's duty is to learn specific festival dances, one being kagura, a worship to the gods. They are to pray, give divination, and receive divine orders. They are assistants to the priests and are responsible for keeping the shrine clean. Priests are similar to a spokes-person for the kami. They offer rituals to those seeking such. They are both as valuable as the other, and are the guides to those in the modern world to keep Shintoism alive and pure.”
What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
“It’s quite simple, really. And I have not yet seen one person refuse to abide by the cleansing. Upon taking steps to the shrine, you are faced with a trough full of water. This water is from the monastery itself, a pure source of divine water. It is important to take a ladle that is sat near the trough and fill it with the water. Then, you are to pour it on your hands one after the other, and it is to be done slowly and thoroughly. Your mouth must be cleansed afterwards. To do this, you are to cup your hands that have already been cleansed and fill them with the cleansing water. You are not to swallow it. Instead, you carefully pour it out of your mouth into your empty palms and then empty your hands nearby.”
How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
“At shrines there are often bells that you are supposed to ring, though if there is not one, then you make an offering of a specific amount of yen into a box at the main building. After that, you can make your offering. Rice, alcohol, salt and water - in that order too, mind you. You are to keep the lids off the water and bottles while you make an offering. You can also offer fish. . .though that is a more complicated process. Just like bowing, you have to make sure it is at a certain angle. After you make your offering, you are to give a formal brow at 90 degrees, and clasp your hands together. Twice, of course. After they touch, you keep them clasped together while you make your prayer, keeping silent afterwards and thanking them for their time.”
How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
“The tea ceremony is my favorite! You must be the first to bow, then the guests bow in return. If they accept your offering for tea, then it is your job to guide them into the tea house. It’s important to direct them to their seating and bow once more as they sit, excusing yourself for a moment while you prepare the tea. The herbs are almost always prepared, I believe. I’ve never seen it empty. So then, you take the herbs and tea leaves and let it sit and simmer in hot water. It’s your job to make sure the water is hot but not boiling. Once finished, you slowly approach the guests, ensuring to not be too quick or act with sudden movements. The tea bowl must be held in your left hand and turned with your right. It is to be specifically turned away with the right hand, and you must pour it slowly. It is important to then ask the guests if they wish for their tea to be strengthened. If not, then you continue. Once the tea is empty you must always refill it, otherwise it is shown as disrespect.”
Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
“Tamagushi is another form of an offering in Shinto. There are different depictions of it, one being made from the bark of a sakaki tree, with strips of washi paper and cotton. It’s a gem of an offering, really.”

“An Ofuda is paper! Or a card, honestly. More specifically, it’s used as a talisman, inscribed with a blessing, and should have the name of a specific kami. They are a charm to protect you from dangers like curses, or spirits. And like most things, they have the life force of kami. Blessed, truly.”

“Kagura Suzu is something my family has shown me many times in my life. Many bells are on this instrument, and it is used during dance rituals, which maidens are required to use during them.”
(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Yatagarsu! The kami of guidance. I am very proud of my life and how far I’ve come, and it is all because of the guidance of Yatagarasu. I will continue to follow, worship, praise, and enlighten my life in the guidance of said kami.
───────────────────────────────────────​

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread