Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+

Directory
[click]
Relationship between education and architecture. - A short history of school design. - How design can affect workflow. - Thoughts on current school structure.

Architectural importance has been a primary driving point in students' mindset for all of history, design in schools has not always been so uniform and the same, however, it has evolved and adapted over time to fit the needs of the pupil and has continued to do so to this day.

The environment school sets for us contributes to students' diligence and behaviour on the grounds; Providing students with a littered and uncared-for scene with a lack of resources or facilities can leave everyone feeling disgruntled or frustrated at their predicament, breaking concentration and motivation.

A cleanlier and more structured environment can increase productivity, however, letting students feel as if their surrounding is built for them to feel at peace and work harder to maintain that level of surrounding and upkeep the resources and materials that allow them to prosper; As said in the above: humidity and temperature, weather, resources, tools, materials and peers are all variables which play a part in students' actions, reason and conduct.​

Interestingly enough, Japan's school layouts have not changed much since the 18th Century; They remain a uniform hallway with a standard classroom, wooden floor and drywall, with the occasional shoji as traditional for materialistic reserve in japan.

A consistent layout is not always great; fundamental layouts to rooms and structures can cause a lack of voluntary presence, School at the end of the day is mandatory, however, to gauge the interest of a group of students to a point they feel as if showing up is a task they want to do, not feeling forced to, you must appeal to visual and physical interests; This could be as simple as posters spread across classrooms and hallways, teachers creating visual demonstrations and mixing topics to pique the interest of not only the school board but also the students' interest at hand.​

Architecture can contribute to the efficiency of students, the environment as stated previously can be adapted and fit to hold specific resources and materials which equip students with the ability to perform properly.

How your surrounding looks can affect your mental fortitude too, military schools that train soldiers and create a working environment which tests and bends the individuals' ability to perform in intensive environments and stressful situations which prepare them for the battlefield; Students at a regular school, however, are surrounded by much more stress-free surroundings so they can focus more on written work.

Students, understandably, would not be as great at written work in a trench-like environment, therefore, we surround ourselves with the items and structure that allow us to do so and prepare us for office-like everyday work settings.​

[The camera began recording]

Mee-Young: I have Professor Kusanagi with me today, discussing our topic!

[Mee-young turned to Mrs Kusanagi]

Mee-Young: Mrs Kusanagi, what are your thoughts on how the school layout can affect a student's mentality?

Namiko Kusanagi: Well, I feel like classrooms or rooms in general that have more colours and a more pleasing atmosphere can improve performance a lot!

Namiko Kusanagi: Areas that are darker and dull can feel more depressing and lower motivation among peers!

Mee-Young: Of course! Do you believe that Karakura community college and high school is fitting that atmosphere as of now? - I can see your classroom is very colourful!

Namiko Kusanagi: Sort of. - I believe the atmosphere outside of the classrooms matters too, even outside of school - We have areas such as the media and club rooms, however, other rooms feel much blander.

Mee-Young: Mm! Do you believe we should have more events and activities in our hallways or have open classrooms during break times to allow students to feel more welcome in the environment?

Namiko Kusanagi: Yes! - I actually try to have my classroom open for anyone, it is supposed to be a safe place for students and I feel as if more events and activities for them can help a lot too.

Namiko Kusanagi: Maybe adding things such as art done by students, to make the students feel more appreciated too!

Mee-Young: Mm! - I believe that is all there is to ask, thank you for your time today, Professor Kusanagi

Namiko Kusanagi: Thank you for having me!

[They both traded a respectful bow to each other]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread